PDA

View Full Version : where is the best tropical fishing destination

capt.T
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
getin tired of winter, want to go someware hot, and good fishing. thinking of belize, costa rica, or mexico. has anyone fished these spots? I dont care what kind of fish as long as there big and lots of them. also water must be warm as I am bringing my wife and she wants a tropical vacation, with nice beaches. might have to be the caribeian side. it is also our honeymoon. any other places I didn't mention?

MB_Boy
01-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I am not too sure about the Caribbean side and I can confirm definitely not in Varadero, Cuba as I was just there. Tend to hear more about bone fish, tarpon etc over towards the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico. I do have a buddy who lives in the Turcs & Caicos and they seem to do fairly well down there for the 'bigger fish'.

I don't think you can go wrong with Belize or Costa Rica (for your wife) but I would spend some time googling fishing there as I don't know.

Hands down I think your closest destination is Cabo San Lucas in Mexico for BIG fish. Lots of charters run out of there for everything from tuna, dorado to big billfish as well. They have huge tourney's down there as well that bring lots of $$$ and lots of fishermen so that may say something for the abundance of fish down there.

It's a long haul......but I have heard off New Zealand can be good chasing big marlin.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd be leaning toward Belize, Costa Rica or the Bahamas. Carribean side for sure for her sake. Much more eye appeal than anything on the west coast of Mexico.

SSS

115 or bust
01-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Fished belize and Costa Rica
Costa rica was definately the best salt water fishing for us but the tarpon fishing in Belize was excellent too.

WKCotts
01-20-2010, 10:33 AM
New Zealand... I was down there last April, went out on a 4 night charter off the north tip of NZ. Between 8 of us we caught, 11 Marlin averaging around 250lb, 15+ sharks, and 26 different fish species in total... none of them were small! Amazing trip, I highly recommend it.

gamehunter6o
01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Jelvis' fish tank?:lol:

capt.T
01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Belize might be the place. tarpon sound like fun! do they only use fly rods or can we use spin rods? and do we have to have a guide or can we just go wade from shore or kayak? what about rod rentels? is ambergris cay the spot?

shantz
01-20-2010, 01:26 PM
We went to Costa Rica last year and we had a blast fishing. lots of action

Gateholio
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Haiti?

:wink:

capt.T
01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
costa rica aye. west coast or east? was it expensive to go fishing? I can only aford one day of offshore fishing. but would like to do inshore/reef fishing (buzz bombs, lol) and hire a local with a skiff. are rates reasonable in costa rica? on the net it seems to be about $600 for a day is this standard? or can I hire a local for less? and still catch fish. thanks for the input

Barracuda
01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
talk to the charter and find out if you can do a shared OS fish might be cheaper to buddy up .

pretty much any fishing destination that is warm sounds good right now :mrgreen:

wolverine
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Best tropical fishing destination... on a budget.... Petsmart...third tank from the end on isle 6... it's all catch and release tho:mrgreen:

madrona sh
01-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Hawaii, But you can't keep em

Sasquatch
01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I've gone deep sea fishing in Mexico a few times. Caught sailfish, dolphin, tuna, roosterfish. Got miserable seasick for my first time too on one outing.

Overall it was fun, but way better (and cheaper) was walking down the beach with my own rod, a handful of buzzbombs and a six pack of cervesa. Plenty of fish and they just loved the bombs.

moosinaround
01-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Best tropical fishing destination... on a budget.... Petsmart...third tank from the end on isle 6... it's all catch and release tho:mrgreen:
$hit you beat me too it!! Awesome reply!!!

Muleycatcher
01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Cabo san lucas, Mexico is great for marlin fishing..the best in the world they say..We caught 4 in 2 hours..and the ocean was just boiling with them..lots of fun and a good fight too!

huntcoop
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Haiti?:wink:

WOW......:shock:

115 or bust
01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Belize might be the place. tarpon sound like fun! do they only use fly rods or can we use spin rods? and do we have to have a guide or can we just go wade from shore or kayak? what about rod rentels? is ambergris cay the spot?

I havn't been in many years. We fly fished out of placencia, and spin casted in the Monkey river which was fun for smaller tarpon. Hard to find a good guide if you meet someone who's used a good guide I'd take their advice. We took our own rods. Ambergris cay is a tourist trap like granville island. All houses and people. Fun salt water fishing for little stuff out front. The better fishing was out towards the Great Barrier reef.

115 or bust
01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
costa rica aye. west coast or east? was it expensive to go fishing? I can only aford one day of offshore fishing. but would like to do inshore/reef fishing (buzz bombs, lol) and hire a local with a skiff. are rates reasonable in costa rica? on the net it seems to be about $600 for a day is this standard? or can I hire a local for less? and still catch fish. thanks for the input

When we were fishing in Costa rica it was on the Pacific side we hired a local fisherman for two days my dad went back the next year and hired the guy for a week charged 20 bucks an hour for the boat and gear (bring your own though standards are different) We caught unreal numbers of dolphin (mahi mahi, bonita, yellowfin tuna, also caught rooster fish both trips which is really cool). Lots of fun on an islander sage combo lol.

115 or bust
01-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Oh yeah there were lots of Sails rolling on the surface in costa rica too but we didn't connect.

capt.T
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
thanks 115, its nice to hear it from someone who has fished both Belize, and costa rica. sounds like were going to Mexico and belize. we are going to fly to Cancun (cheaper flight) and take a bus to belize. we are going with another couple who also like to fish. we will be bringing our own rods and a backpack full of buzz bomb's. if anyone can recommend anywhere to stay in that part of the world (towns that aren't tourist traps, and reasonably priced bungalow's on/near the beach), that would also be helpful.

115 or bust
01-20-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't know if its still there but we found an island in one of those travel books I think it was Lonely planet. It had 3 cabins on it and a caretaker the cabins were $30 a night (this was around 2000-01 can't quite remember). It was the most southerly cay and you could see Honduras. It was about 400 yards to the barrier reef and we had wicked fishing off the beach. Went on an all day bonefishing guided trip in the shallow marshes and never caught one but we probably landed several dozen off the beaches on that island. Lots of other fish too. I don't remember what the island was called but it was a great place. If I went back I'd probably just go there.

Johnnybear
01-21-2010, 12:17 AM
My fishing guide buddy from Tofino winters in Costa Rica every year. The fishing is amazing apparently. I have to go one of these years. Cheap too.

I've seen pictures of him with all the wild fish including respectable sized sailfish just using a 20' Panga (rental and self guided).

Type in fishing seasons and the area you want to go into Google and you can find out all sorts of good info on the best times to go etc.

Huntergurl
01-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Fished Costa Rica and Nicaragua, both had great tuna and sail fish.
Caught lots and is not too expensive, Nicaragua is cheaper cuz not as touristy but also more "rustic" you will not be in a 5 star tourist retreat but great people and great fishing. Fun Caiman hunting too, like an aligator just smaller, good meat. need to buddy up to a local for the Caimans tho.

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Haiti?

:wink:

You make a comment like that and your the moderator :confused:

Gateholio
01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
You make a comment like that and your the moderator :confused:

What specifically was my comment?

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
What specifically was my comment?

The guy asks a serious question about a place he can go on his honeymoon and catch some fish,and you recommend Haiti a place that just had one of the worst natural disasters in modern history in which thousands of people lost their lives and many more have no shelter at all.In my opinion that is totally tasteless .This site is so inconsistent with what is deemed acceptible and what is not .:confused:

Gateholio
01-21-2010, 12:00 PM
The guy asks a serious question about a place he can go on his honeymoon and catch some fish,and you recommend Haiti a place that just had one of the worst natural disasters in modern history in which thousands of people lost their lives and many more have no shelter at all.In my opinion that is totally tasteless .This site is so inconsistent with what is deemed acceptible and what is not .:confused:

Interesting to see how you interpret all that from me posting one word. It's not correct, of course. In fact I was suggesting Haiti would be a poor choice for a vacation, by adding a *wink* face.

I suppose I could have just put "Not Haiti" and left out the " :wink: "

newhunterette
01-21-2010, 12:27 PM
went to Cancun last year - had an absolute blast fishing - caught the biggest red snapper I have ever seen

if you pick a destination it is very easy to look up what kind of deep sea fishing they offer and the time of year that is best for certain species

huntcoop
01-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Interesting to see how you interpret all that from me posting one word. It's not correct, of course. In fact I was suggesting Haiti would be a poor choice for a vacation, by adding a *wink* face.

I suppose I could have just put "Not Haiti" and left out the " :wink: "

Nice twist.

Gateholio
01-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Nice twist.

Nice try....

boxhitch
01-22-2010, 10:39 AM

I suppose I could have just put "Not Haiti" and left out the " :wink: "Actually, Haiti might be a very good place to spend some money, if they had the fishing one is after.
Many parts of the country were not directly effected and are trying to carry on business as usual, at a time when money is tough. They need tourist dollars more now than ever.

Gateholio
01-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Actually, Haiti might be a very good place to spend some money, if they had the fishing one is after.
Many parts of the country were not directly effected and are trying to carry on business as usual, at a time when money is tough. They need tourist dollars more now than ever.

Even if this is the case, wouldn't it be very difficult to get there?:confused:

huntcoop
01-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Nice try....

.........:roll:

HighCountry
01-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Go to Thailand is hot over there and good fishing in the river.

boxhitch
01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Even if this is the case, wouldn't it be very difficult to get there?:confused:Not sure if they have more than one airport. Maybe next door in D.R. ?
Sounds like the cruise ships are still stopping in.

Gateholio
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I was reading that the border crossings between Haiti and DR are a mess...:-?

boxhitch
01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Probably a lineup, with all the aid moving across

cariboobill
01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Well if you really want good fishing you have to go where it is difficult to get to and not many people. I have sailed all over the south and north pacific ocean on my sailboat and can say for certain the BEST and most diverse fishing in the Pacific is the Marshall Islands. A 1000 lb Blue is not uncommon and 100+lb. wahoo, Yellow fin and Tail that go into the hundreds of pounds, not to mention the great fishing just fishing the coral reefs with a small spin casting unit.

Also best diving I have done. Better than Truk (Caroline Islands) which is not far from the Marshall Islands. The diving in the area they tested the a-bombs is unreal and wrecks for ever.

Go there, you will NOT be disapointed.

CB