PDA

View Full Version : Alpine hunting off the Coquihalla

lp270win
01-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Just curious if anyone has hunted the alpine off the Coquihalla highway for mule deer. Ive been on google earth and seen that it goes to 7000+ ft. I think it would be a great trip to do in early September at the beggining of the season. Any suggestions, tips, or stories would be great thanks.

MerrittBow
01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Its great in the bow season but once gun season starts it seems all the roads are packed.....doesn't bother me though iam walking in the bush anyway.

Muleycatcher
01-19-2010, 09:17 PM
You and everyone else is thinking the same thing...can get busy!

pnbrock
01-19-2010, 09:22 PM
i know of a ton of guys hunt the area you wont be first.

Lucky77_
01-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Ive been looking at the alpine here for years the problem is there is only a few places that you can get that high with motorized equipment there is a cupple of spots though. one in paticular that i really want to hike in to its just that the carcus is not what it once was and the mitivation has ..... soffened

Lucky77_
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
there is LOTS that people dont get to.. just get off the road

Big Lew
01-19-2010, 09:34 PM
A few years ago, I hunted the sub-alpine on the west side of the Coq. several times. I accessed the area, (2-17 & 3-14) from the Fraser Canyon, following the east Anderson watershed, entering just north of the Alexander bridge. I was successful in harvesting mule deer and one old blacktail buck. During this time, I saw several mule deer, one large moose, and a five member wolf pack. (Unfortunately, they decimated the fawn crop while they were in there) If you enjoy scouting, it would be a great weekend outing checking the logging roads following the Anderson River. All the deer sign was in the upper high valley and up on top. Follow the main road until a T, turn left, continue following main road, avoiding any further left roads, going past an old logging camp, until crossing Anderson Creek, turn right and climb into the upper valley. After crossing Anderson Creek again, if you turn right, the old road makes it's way up toward the Coq. It's a long walk along this part. Once near the end of this road, you should notice a exposed rock with small creek, access upward through the timber to the alpine overlooking the Coq. Take caution not to step on any moss covering this rock along the little creek, or you could skid to your peril. If you have a gps system, bring it along so that you can re-trace your path once on top, because you will want to walk and walk, it's quite beautiful up there. You should be in good shape for this outing, as it might be overgrown and rough getting to the alpine once you cross the second bridge. If you are looking to explore in a 4x4, carry extra gas and turn left after crossing the first bridge. This takes you on many roads up the east side of the Fraser Canyon. You could be in there all day and not cover all the roads. (Good idea to go with two vehicles if you can)

bad arrow
01-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I've been going down there every weekend this month and have been wondering the same thing, looks like good mulie country.

Brew
01-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Theres some good spots up there for sure. Did one day of scouting in August found a nice bachelor group of eight. Went up labour day weekend and got to have three stocks on that group with the bow but could not pull it off. Learned a lot though. Also saw moose tracks up there in the alpine. Some nice big berry eating bears up there also.

MuleyStalker
01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Best if you're willing to do some hiking. You can get into some great country that goes on for miles. Also saw lots of berry eating bears.

6pt_elk_wannabe
11-26-2013, 11:54 PM
I've seen the biggest moose in my life just outside of coquihalla lakes resort

fishingguy44
11-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Lots of moose in there, don't know why no season. I got a beauty fall bear this year while on a deer hunt. lots of grouse to keep you busy and nice early snow that allows you to follow fresh track. It is a bit busy on the roads but I park and hike so its never a problem for me.

6pt_elk_wannabe
01-11-2014, 12:01 PM
it would be nice to see some sort of leh system in 2-17 for moose, something small maybe 2 or 3 authorizations with an antler restriction... I feel like that would be an amazing hunt

Mathil
01-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Just a few km up the road 3-13 has a season on spike fork bulls!

hunter1993ap
01-11-2014, 12:42 PM
heres what I think, now that you've mentioned it online the guys that havnt yet been will be going. . its a fine line when it comes to areas to hunt and talking about them. in future keep it off the internet and you will find spots that aren't crowded with gutpile chasers. but as soon as you mention it online, the guys who aren't willing to do the work before hand will go there. keep areas quiet!! or they are f*&(*^*

604redneck
01-11-2014, 12:58 PM
heres what I think, now that you've mentioned it online the guys that havnt yet been will be going. . its a fine line when it comes to areas to hunt and talking about them. in future keep it off the internet and you will find spots that aren't crowded with gutpile chasers. but as soon as you mention it online, the guys who aren't willing to do the work before hand will go there. keep areas quiet!! or they are f*&(*^*
Is this maybe one of ur go to spots? My outlook on it is that everyone is entitled to tell anyone about the spots they hunt or they think are good. However once they do this they have no right to complain about not seeing animals. Personally I don't hunt up there but I do fish a few lakes there and I can vouch for the good early season hunting

Big Lew
01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
It's unfortunate that we haven't control of just who can read info posted, but we don't even though we might want said info to be for forum members only. I have posted info about some of that area relative to years past, but with full knowledge that everyone can read it, and that it is a hard area to access and hunt which most likely excludes the vast majority of lurkers and those lazy wannabes looking for an easy area to hunt.

hunter1993ap
01-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Is this maybe one of ur go to spots? My outlook on it is that everyone is entitled to tell anyone about the spots they hunt or they think are good. However once they do this they have no right to complain about not seeing animals. Personally I don't hunt up there but I do fish a few lakes there and I can vouch for the good early season hunting
no its not, but I feel for the guys who do.

604redneck
01-11-2014, 02:44 PM
It's unfortunate that we haven't control of just who can read info posted, but we don't even though we might want said info to be for forum members only. I have posted info about some of that area relative to years past, but with full knowledge that everyone can read it, and that it is a hard area to access and hunt which most likely excludes the vast majority of lurkers and those lazy wannabes looking for an easy area to hunt.
this would be a really good idea force people to sign up I they want to read the forums

bruin
01-11-2014, 03:02 PM

PM works too

Mathil
01-11-2014, 04:53 PM
All you have to do to get away from the lazy, noisy FSR hunters is walk 1k off the end of a road. If there's a road that goes past where you are, you can count on some guy with a jacked up Toyota pickup to drive by, making a bunch of noise.

You can even make it easier for yourself and walk a deactivated road that isn't quad capable, that way you don't have to bush wack. If you meet someone else out there...HEY you just found a kindred soul. Swap info, and maybe next time you have someone to help you hump your meat out!

dino
01-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I hunt and shoot bucks there every year. I post of my pics and even give my locations. I wish I would see more nutbars like myself that have the same passion for alpine hunting. There are very few gutpile hunters that will go up top. There are some nice deer that come out of there every year and it always seems to be a lucky road hunter that gets a big one. You need to scout and doing it on a sled helps but a summer pre scout is almost mandatory. Lots of deer up top and you can take that to the bank.

Beachcomber
01-11-2014, 05:35 PM
I think it is a pretty obvious destination. If you are looking for destinations within reach of the lower mainland your options are clearly limited. If you are fortunate enough to live in the area your scope is much broader. Road hunters will already know about it and anyone willing to make the effort to hike in will likely have done their homework anyway. Don't think this discussion compromises anything.

Sofa King
01-11-2014, 06:00 PM
this would be a really good idea force people to sign up I they want to read the forums

you do have to.
I can read the few threads on the main page, but if I go into the forum catalogue, I have to sign in to read any of them.

BigfishCanada
01-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Hey Dino, years ago I went to the alpine west of the coq, drove for an hour, then hiked an hour. came around a corner and saw that a puddle was muddied up, we must have spooked something, so my bud and i are watching the water clear when I see the biggest grizz track I have ever seen in my life. I was nervous after that in the spot we were. Saw some huge tracks but didn't tag

Ferenc
01-11-2014, 11:03 PM
The area you guys are talking about has big GRIZZLYS in there and their preference for food doesnt matter 4 legged or two legged....just saying !

Seeker
01-19-2014, 10:55 PM
The area you guys are talking about has big GRIZZLYS in there and their preference for food doesnt matter 4 legged or two legged....just saying !

Interesting, I haven't heard anything on the news about that. Must be sneaky bears who hide the evidence:mrgreen: