PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Basics

bopper
01-19-2010, 02:59 PM
For those of you who may be starting with a new pup, here's some info from my training program:

PUPPY BASICS
The four basic necessities to giving a pup a good start are:
1: Walking on a lead.
2: Socialization.
3: Learning to sit.
4: Chasing.

1: Walking on a lead. Have pup become used to wearing collar. Then attach a leash and let him drag it around. Now hold the leash and walk with the pup, always on a loose leash and without any restraint. Don't keep walking if your pup starts pulling on the leash; this rewards his behaviour, he must learn that when he pulls on the leash he gets nowhere. If he wants to continue walking, it must be at your side on a loose leash.
2: This is an important time in your dog's development. A well-adjusted dog is the product of proper socialization, and results in a dog that is not aggressive towards, or frightened by, anything or anyone. Dogs that have not been socialized are hard to train, cannot adapt to new situations and often become fighters or biters. Don't reward fearful behaviour; if you try to soothe, calm or encourage the pup when he's frightened, you are rewarding behaviour that you don't want.
3: Once your pup is walking well on leash, it's time to teach the 'sit', which is probably the most important command he will ever learn. Stop and kneel next to the pup; hold on to his collar, push down on his rump and tell him to 'sit'. Do it a few times, walk him some more, then stop and work on the 'sit' command again.
4: Chasing. Use a squeaky toy, duck wing or small dummy. Tease the pup with it, get him excited, and toss it. Don't worry about him bringing it back, just work on developing the excitement and the desire to chase.
When you have your pup performing well at these four basic components, you are ready to move on to more advanced training.

For anyone who may be interested, I will be conducting a couple of seminars this Spring. If you are interested in attending one, send me a PM and I'll keep you advised as to dates and locations.
Good luck with your pups!
Bopper

01-19-2010, 03:10 PM
are you main land or island?

BlacktailStalker
01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Is this a free seminar you are offering ?

Come is the most important command you can teach a dog IMO because it will likely save his life one day.

Busterbrown
01-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Another tip we have done with our pups the day we bring them home is at feeding time ,we put his dish at the end of the room and make him sit beside us and then release him with "back" . This is a good beginning to run blinds later in his training.

horshur
01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
to teach them to sit just say sit when they sit on there own

no need to touch them to teach them to sit.

pretty soon they sit when asked and don't even know why.