PDA

View Full Version : Sausage making???

Dually Guy
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
What cuts of pork do you guys use to mix with your deer , for sausage????
Thanxs Dually

OOBuck
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
What cuts of pork do you guys use to mix with your deer , for sausage????
Thanxs Dually

Go to Glenwood Meats & tell them what your up to its cheap. I use the belly cuts

IronNoggin
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Asked pretty much the same question here a week ago. Checked with Hertels as suggested, but thought we could do better on price. The next day Buy-Low in Port Alberni put whole pork hinds on for 86 cents a pound. Bought four of them, so that's what is getting worked into the sausage with the deer and moose this year. Coincidentally, 4 batches running through the machine today! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

OOBuck
01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I think I pay about .80 for fat thats ready to use.. Saves a bit of work.

Sitkaspruce
01-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I buy pork shoulders and butts when they are less than $1/lbs and stock pile them. Use when needed.

Cheap and simple and the meat plus fat adds a nice texture and taste.

Mix ~10% for pepperoni, Jerky etc.
Mix ~20% for sausages if you are going to smoke them.
Mix ~15-20% for raw sausages.

Play around with what you like for taste and do it in small batches (5 lbs) until you find what you like.........then write it down:wink:.

Cheers

SS

BiG Boar
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I have just been using costco's ground pork. Seems to fit the bill. Was cheaper than buying butts and hams at some places.

444marlin
01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Pork shoulders and butts are usually on sale at this time of year. (for my sausages). Have bought them at Save-On-Foods and Thrifty's for app. $1.00 a lb.

bighornbob
01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Pork butts are on sale right now. I know Coopers foods (in the interior) has them for .89 cents a pound. Save On foods probably has it on now too or it will next week. At that price we make some sausage from straight pork.

BHB

Bow Walker
01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Costco's ground pork - or anyones for that matter - might be a bit too fatty. Depends on what you're after, I guess.

My choice (after 30+ years of meat cutting) would be the "Boston Butt", or pork shoulder. You could even include the shoulder "Picnic" as well.

Look for them to come on sale and stock up.

dime
01-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Why waste money on buying pig meat when you already have deer/moose/elk meat in your freezer? Instead of buying pork meat we just buy pig fat from the processing plant. Through 8 years of trial and error, we have determined that the optimal mix is a 20% mix by weight. If you want to make 10 lbs of sausage, take 8 lbs of game meat and 2 lbs pig fat.
We buy ours from Johnson's packers in Chilliwack, (http://www.johnstons.ca) but if you want smaller quantities you can usually buy from a local butcher.

pnbrock
01-19-2010, 09:32 PM
why pay $1 dollar for pork when $2 dollars gets the sausage done by pros?

OOBuck
01-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Another note

For smoked sausage I use a coarse plate on the fat
For fresh sausage I grind the fat through a fine plate

Sitkaspruce
01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
why pay $1 dollar for pork when $2 dollars gets the sausage done by pros?

$2/pound of your meat, which you already have paid for to get cut up. Now if you have 50 lbs to be made into sausages, it will cost you $100 plus cutting.

Take that same 50 lbs and for me it will cost $20 max (based on 10% pig mix, plus all the spices to make the flavour) for that same meat, plus I cut my own.

As for taste, I actually find mine to be better, since I like to change things up and make different flavours.

$100-$20=$80

I can use that $80 to buy more toys, put gas in the truck or take my wife for a nice dinner as a partial thanks for putting up with me during hunting season.

I guess I just do not see your logic:confused::wink:

Cheers

SS