PDA

View Full Version : New puppy

Rackaholic
01-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Well, today we got a little Puppy that is a half German Sheppherd and half Labrador. His name is Rocco, and he's 7 weeks old.

First thing he did when he got here, was clean the cat's food bowl out and then he fell asleep, right there on the spot. :mrgreen:

Here's a pic, I'll try to get a better quality picture in a bit.

http://i45.tinypic.com/vxhssk.jpg

01-18-2010, 02:04 PM
i think his dominant side is lab!

Rackaholic
01-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Yup, I definetly think his dominant side is Lab.

He is one lively fella, cleaned out the cat's bowl AGAIN, then stepped in the water bowl and ran :mrgreen:

I have heard that dogs can eat themselves sick, that they don't know when to stop, is this true? If so, how much should I feed him and when should I feed him?

Here's a few more pics:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ynsajd.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/1me83.jpg
Eating a Mango

http://i48.tinypic.com/19plhw.jpg

hillclimber
01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
i had a sheperd border collie cross and fed it twice a day. nice dog

01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
cute little bugger.
lock up the cat food he will ao that every time.
my cat does not have a gravity feeder or any of that she gets fed when the dog gets fed and she has a cat door to get into the laundry room.
you might be abel to solve that by putting the cat food on a shelf that the cat can get at but the dog cant. i feed my dog once a day in the morning about 4 cups or so, and he gets a biscut after dinner. i also feed him veggie cuttings when prepairing dinner (in his bowl).
I honestly cant remember how much i fed him as a pup but yours being part lab as you have now learned will eat all of what ever you give him.

and him eating fruit....ooooooo farty pants! Chase eats every apple that hits the ground from my tree, plumbs from dads and pears.....fall stinks
have fun

bighornbob
01-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Whatever you feed him should have a listing by age and weight for your puppy. We fed our dog twice a day, once in the morning when we got up and again when we came home from work.

BHB

Kasomor
01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Cute puppy.

Put the cat food up on a desk/ counter. Our cats food is up on the scratching post platform.

Pups at 7 weeks usually get fed 3 times per day because they have little tummys. Feed him as much as he will eat in 10 minutes and then pick the dish up.

As Bighornbob (great handle :)) said the bag will have guidelines on it.

Once pup has hit the 3 or 4 month stage switch to twice per day for the rest of the dogs life.

Has your pup been wormed? Just looking at the one picture makes me wonder. If so, great if not might want to look into doing so.

Have fun,
Kasomor

dukester
01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
feed 3 times 1/2 cup /day add alittle water to the kibble(dry food) easier to go dwon. use the dogs kibble as a reward when training also, no need for any fancy treats..

Rackaholic
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Has your pup been wormed? Just looking at the one picture makes me wonder. If so, great if not might want to look into doing so.

Have fun,
Kasomor

I'm not sure if it counts, but he's had an Anti-Parasitary shot, don't know if that's good against worms too or not..

And Thanks all for the help everyone. :-D

Sasquatch
01-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Really cute pup. You're going to have a blast with him I'm sure.

springpin
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
good looking dog....treat him well

Rackaholic
01-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks all.

I need some help again: We are not going to train the dog to live inside, so every night we tie him up outside. The problem is, if we tie him up close to the grass, so he can still do his business at night, he barks all night long. But if we tie him up next to the House door, he's quiet, but there's no grass close, so he makes a mess on the floor every night.

What can I do?

Doe Eyes
01-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Tie him up?
Dont let your little puppy eat cat food...he has different nutritional requirements and its not good for him.
He sure is a cute little guy!

Rackaholic
01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Tie him up?
Dont let your little puppy eat cat food...he has different nutritional requirements and its not good for him.
He sure is a cute little guy!

yeah with a chain, that's about a meter long.. Sadly, from the House door to the nearest piece of grass it's like 3 meters..

hillclimber
01-24-2010, 11:10 PM
yeah with a chain, that's about a meter long.. Sadly, from the House door to the nearest piece of grass it's like 3 meters..

Buy a 3 meter chain:mrgreen:

arcadia
01-25-2010, 04:24 PM
He is at a good age to train. Don't wait. sit. stay etc. It will be fun for him to learn. My shepared was so smart I could teach him a trick in 2minutes. He just loved to please me. Have fun with him.