PDA

View Full Version : Wher are all the Elk?

.308cal
01-18-2010, 12:35 PM
I am looking for info on elk hunting in BC. My friends and I have hunted all over BC for deer and moose and have decide that wasn't frustrating enough so now we want to go for an elk hunt.:mrgreen: We've scouted some areas east of PG out to Tumbler ridge and have found several ares that look promising. However, having never hunted elk before I could use some tips on how to hunt these big boys.
Any info on calls, equipment, etc. would be appreciated.

kootenayelkslayer
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I would probably suggest that anywhere around PG might be a tough and frustrating place for a first time elk hunt. Might want to try somewhere with a higher population of elk. I hear there are a few roaming around the east Kootenays these days.

bridger
01-18-2010, 02:35 PM
if this were my first crack at elk hunting Honestly,I would contact riverjet adventures for a trip up the muskwa/tuchodi. you will see more elk doing this accidently than you will on purpose over the next five years hunting on your own. once you get some experience then its a do it yourself. bridger

snowhunter
01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
This is a good time to learn to call elk, using many exellent DVD's and "Youtube" clibs on this facinating subject. In this manner, added with lots of patience, often will pay off.

Fly-in and river boat elk hunting from Fort Nelson is a good start, like talking and getting advice from "Liard Air", and often you will get your moneys worth, however lots of elk in the eastern and southeastern B.C., which are available by using your car, fourtrax, boat and canoe.

Some prime areas in this region of B.C. can only be legally reached by foot, cycling or horseback, other popular areas are "crawling" with elk hunters, and extra effort to reach difficult "back country" up high, among others, is therefore a good options :)

humble hunter
01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Do some scouting, find some elk and hunt it religiously untill you get to know the elk movements. If you think you will just luck into it you are mistaken. It took us 10 years to get a handle on our area. No one on here is going to give you an exact location but if you read through a bunch of the past threads you will get a general location and the rest is up to you.

leadpillproductions
01-18-2010, 08:10 PM
where are looking to hunt them

bionicflite
01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Just returned from Region 4-6 on a cat hunt.

Cut tracks for cat in the Winter Range for a good size herd of elk...20-30mtrs form six one morning and while headed down a ridge on west side of valley..Yahk is the little town.90km south of Cranberry.

In five days over 20 sited...not to mention the 8 in the school grounds in Cranbrook around 8th of Jan.

Deaddog
01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
if this were my first crack at elk hunting Honestly,I would contact riverjet adventures for a trip up the muskwa/tuchodi. you will see more elk doing this accidently than you will on purpose over the next five years hunting on your own. once you get some experience then its a do it yourself. bridger

I agree with Bridger, contact Kevin of riverjet adventures and have him take you up the muskwa tuchodi, it's a great place to learn and to see a ton of elk... especially if you are willing to hike a km or so off the river

Buck Skin
01-19-2010, 07:22 PM
there problay in a field some wherez

hotload
01-19-2010, 07:37 PM
there problay in a field some wherez

Ya know the guy just asked about elk hunting, and he gets responses like try a DVD, Youtube, Hunting near P.G. can be frustrating given the elk pop.,go where high populations are to run into lots of elk to help you learn, good time to try to learn calling, learn elk movements and hunt them religiously, now that is what this site is about, guys trying to help a novice with some sound advice, and then you get the intelligent feedback like Buckskin just gave, ( They Probably in a field some Wherez), How Prolific, DUH, why the hell would you even respond with such nonsense.

leadpillproductions
01-19-2010, 08:21 PM
What i did i found a place that should have elk and just pounded the bush .Along rivers if you have a boat look on sand bars if there's tracks there elk thats how i did it .Dont get discourged when it come to geather it is so worth it . If your up here in chetwynd anytime i would gladly take you out if work dont get in the way . I just love the game of elk hunting , if you have any questions give me a pm ill help out

eaglesj
01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
If you want to hunt around Dawson Creek, get a hold of the local farmers in the area. If they don't know, they probably have a friend that has elk on their land.

hunter1947
01-20-2010, 09:07 AM
You hunt them like any other animal put lots of miles on and of course you have to be in an area that has elk.

Learn how to talk to elk and you have the upper hand when you hunt them.
Look for fresh tracks ,water in the area ,rubs that have been done that year in early Aug.

I found the best time to hunt elk is the last week of Sept and into the first week of Oct ,most of Sept is as good as you can get it for elk hunting as well.

Head out at dark in the morning where you figure there might be elk and sit there and wait and listen.
Then when daylight arrives let out a couple bugles and listen for 15min if nothing then start walking.

If you find elk wallows that are active set up there before daylight and wait there into the first hour of daylight and then be there two hours before you loose daylight wait and give calls every 15 min...

After you walk for 10 min give out a few calls and wait and listen ,it wont hurt to mix your calls bugle a few times and let out a few cow calls ,continue doing this for your hunt you will be rewarded ,good luck on your elk hunts in the coming years http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

hunter1947
01-20-2010, 12:03 PM

Thats good advice Bridger the elk numbers are at there largest in BC in the surrounding regions http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

.308cal
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
We are thinking of the Chetwynd/Tumbler ridge region as it appears to be more accessible. My concern is this makes it an area that could be crowded with hunters. Muskwa/Tuchodi looks a little to difficult to get to.
I already have some dvd's on elk hunting and I'm learning to use an elk call. It's hard when you are laughing so much at the squeaks and farts that are coming out right now. :)
Thanks for all the advice you guys. Please keep it coming.

humble hunter
01-20-2010, 05:00 PM
We are thinking of the Chetwynd/Tumbler ridge region as it appears to be more accessible. My concern is this makes it an area that could be crowded with hunters. Muskwa/Tuchodi looks a little to difficult to get to.
I already have some dvd's on elk hunting and I'm learning to use an elk call. It's hard when you are laughing so much at the squeaks and farts that are coming out right now. :)
Thanks for all the advice you guys. Please keep it coming.

If you don't want to totally blow your hunt then I would maybe not bugle to them untill you have actually heard them for yourself, live. The dvd's don't do it justice. When an elk bugles in the bush in your vicinity it will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and possibly give you an erection LOL. It is hands down THE most exciting hunt there is. If you bugle back to a big bull and blow your call it will be over before it really starts. I would suggest just cow calling with a hootchie mama or something like that. Although in heavily hunted areas i swear the elk know the hootchie mama call and are wise to it. We always hunt in pairs. I usually hunt with elkmaster c, he is good at bugling and chuckling and I am good at cow calling using a mouth read call. We decide who is shooting usually we just alternate and it was me this year, 1 hour into our hunt my 6 x 6 was down, shot in a wallow, we never bugled or made a sound, the wind was right, he was rolling in the mud and we crawled through a slough on our hands and knees to get the shot. You just have to roll with it. Hunting in pairs also allows for the shooter to get set up and let the other guy fade back a little to call. I also find if a bull is on his way in and is a little hesitant the non shooter fades back and then finds a tree and kicks the branches as if a bull was raking his horns. this usually drives them absolutely nuts. Then suddenly the crash, crash, crash and holy sh#t he is coming. Then the pound, pound, pound your heart thumping so loud you can't hear the elk anymore. the rest is up to you!

hunter1947
01-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Regarding bugling at certain times.

I have been set up in and area just before daylight many times I wait and listen till it gets shooting light out.

If I have not heard any bugling that does not mean that they are not there.
Before I leave the place I was set up in I will give a couple bugles just to see if there is a bull that is maybe in range of me that might call back to me.

More times then not I get a reply back from a bull ,if I did not give a couple calls I would have left thinking that there was nothing there so don't be afraid to give a couple calls before you head on your way.

This is what I do when I go out on my days hunt for elk ,I will give a locater bugle every 15 min of walking ,I will then listen for about 5 min if nothing I will continue on.

I will also sit down now and then in a place that gives a good vantage point and give 5 or 6 cow calls all in different directions ,I will wait for 10 to 15 min and keep my ears and eyes pealed for a return call if nothing I then move on I will repeat this set up and calling every 15 min of walking I will give the odd bugle now and then as for a few grunts on its own.

I have had bull elk sneak in on me and not say a dam thing when using the cow calling strategy you don't hear any hoofs hiting the ground or movements all of a sudden there is the bull he came in like a ghost ,you learn after many year of elk hunting on what to do and what not to do at the time when alls happening..