PDA

View Full Version : Tradional Gear

Johnnybear
01-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Anyone into tradional style camping and gear. "Bushcraft" style as they call it now a day's? You know canvas tarps, waxed canvas packs, wool blankets, hawks, cast iron cooking stuff etc.

I have a bunch of this stuff collected over the years and still like to collect some of it and use it time to time. How many of you use it regularly?

lip_ripper00
01-17-2010, 11:50 PM
get yourself a raccoon hat and show up for a rendezvous:mrgreen:. I don't have time to be nostalgic. So much better stuff out their today, lighter and more efficent:wink:

madrona sh
01-18-2010, 12:04 AM
I have and use hbc point blankets, use them for every thing cant beat them.
I even bought a soft small one for our first baby, and now 2nd baby has it.
polar fleece just does not have the comfy weight to it.

pete_k
01-18-2010, 12:11 AM
I have some old Len Thompson fishing spoons.

Johnnybear
01-18-2010, 12:13 AM
get yourself a raccoon hat and show up for a rendezvous:mrgreen:. I don't have time to be nostalgic. So much better stuff out their today, lighter and more efficent:wink:

Not the response I was looking for:lol:. I know all the stuff is better and lighter now a days but have been wondering how many folks use tradional gear.

Johnnybear
01-18-2010, 12:19 AM
I have and use hbc point blankets, use them for every thing cant beat them.
I even bought a soft small one for our first baby, and now 2nd baby has it.
polar fleece just does not have the comfy weight to it.

They are worth big bucks now a days. If they are originals really big bucks. I have some cast iron stuff that I use camping and some wool blankets that have saved our asses while camping. I am a tradionalist at heart and was just wondering how many folks camp tradionally.

01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
"Woodsman" type gear has a warm feel to it...especially when adorning the walls of a cabin. I like that stuff, but too heavy for the type of hunting I do.

kyleklassen
01-18-2010, 06:50 PM
trapper nelson and a non-magnum rifle and a honda three wheeler. it's amazing i get any deer at all.

elkdom
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Looking over some of what I have and still use on occasion,:tongue:most of it is what you've classified as traditional.
Trapper Nelson pack board and matching attachable pack sack.
Jones Tent & Awning Yukon Eiderdown sleeping bad (2 of actually).
Wool 'Fisherman' pants.
Gray Stanfields, aka 'West Coast Cashmere'.
Pierre Paris caulk boots (for timber hunting).
A couple of Coleman gas lanterns.
A Coleman gas stove.
An old wool Mackinaw hunting jacket.
Model 71 Winchester Deluxe in 348WCF, on occasion.
Wool mitts & socks made, including carding & spinning the wool, by my Grandmother when we lived in Wells.God, I'm older than dirt :tongue:to coin an old adage. There's another item I want to get. I have a set of 'todays' high tec snowshoes but I'll start looking for a set similar to what I had & used in my youth in Wells. How time flies, but it's been a good run so far:wink:.

may as well make your "museum" complete, if you need some real tradition snow shoes, msg me, I have several sets in perfect condition,,

"old as dirt" lol :lol:

Gateholio
01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Traditional is subjective. I bought my first gor tex jacket when I was about 12. Saved up paper route money for a long time for that. I bought a large and eventually grew into it. It started hanging to my knees and when it was retired it was just a few inches below my waist.:mrgreen:

Gortex is pretty traditional to me!:mrgreen:

I have a few Coleman gas lanterns, a canvas tent, a few wool blankets and some other bits and pieces.

Vital Shock
01-18-2010, 09:20 PM
i have a tipi tent with wood stove! also like to wear a nice light weight wool jacket (swanndri) and a wool 'stormy kromer' hat!

Rod
01-18-2010, 11:02 PM
I have some "new" traditional gear that I use hunting/guiding.. Canvas wall tent and a spike tent, columbia wool pants and shirt/jack's Cabelas wool coat with rainguard.. and my sleeping bag was the down filled beast I was issued in boot camp a few years back :-) it was wrapped in a 7x7' canvas tarp but I retired it a couple of years ago and bought a lighter canvas shell bag at Surplus Herbies because they are alot more comfortable..

Leather boots, chaps, gloves and saddle all serve me well as does the traditional wool felt cowboy hat..