PDA

View Full Version : catahoula anyone

green machine
01-16-2010, 04:13 PM
does anyone here own a catahoula. if so what do you think do you use it for hunting and were diid you get it.

Moose Guide
01-16-2010, 04:18 PM
My hunting buddy had 2, used them for cougar hounds but they never turned out as I recall, I hear they are much better for bear dogs, I'll get more info if you want!!!

green machine
01-16-2010, 04:57 PM
sure that would be great

ufishifish2
01-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I know of two. My neighbor has one, we all hate it. It runs around the neighborhood and bites anyone it comes across. It bit my other neighbor, and even bit my wife. If I ever see it near my house, I will shoot it- for sure! The other catahoula is owned by my old roommate. He has had it for 10 years. It is an absolute piece of crap. Impossible to train, and due to it being a hound, it always runs away, following it's nose. It fights every single dog it comes across, and has also bit a number of people. I have a pitbull that grew up with it. Never a problem, therefore it isn't the Catahoula's environment. I think they are absolutely terrible dogs - but that's just my opinion. Neither have ever been hunted with, however, I can't see them being good for cold weather because they only have 1 coat. They are both often shivering and too cold. Leave them in the south, where they belong!
The neighbors is used for herding cattle on his ranch. My buddy works in the forest surveying and takes his dog out with him every day.

Moose Guide
01-16-2010, 05:29 PM
The fellow that tried to train my buddies dogs has been cougar hunting for 40 yrs., In all fairness he said my buddies dogs were to old,(2 yrs. or so) but he found them to be "dumber than a 100 head of sheep" He has used walkers, bluticks, redbone and black n tans, his choice would be redbone and then bluetick, catahula pups might be great, he only had experience with the two but couldn't seem to get them to hunt anything! hope this helps

houndogger
01-16-2010, 05:29 PM
They are actually smarter then most their owners:mrgreen: If left to rot in a yard you will have a useless dog no matter what breed you have. Very versitiale dogs from cattle sheep to treeing game. I have heard there is a breeder in Duncan...

MEATEATER
01-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I know a guy who has a few and he just had a litter of catahoula and red bone and they hunt well bear and cat my buddy got one of the pups for a pet and she is nice so I think its all about blood line and how there brought up but x2 on if you let your dog rot than no s##t

hutch
01-16-2010, 06:25 PM
i have a rotty that has a some in her and shes still a couch potato but does pick up on animals in the bush faster than my retriever cross

Trailmaster
01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
My cousin has one got it out of florida, has a nose for bears, around people she is timid.

6.5x55mm
02-20-2010, 05:51 PM
I have one he is the best dog I have ever owned. Much better than my blacktan/bluetick cross.

jiggy
02-20-2010, 11:46 PM
[quote=6.5x55mm;629588]I have one he is the best dog I have ever owned.

X2

mfarrally
02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/IMG_0104.jpg

Here's mine
Awesome dog, got him from Catahoula Ranch in mission. Not from hunting parents but i'm going to give him a shot anyways

mfarrally
02-22-2010, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=Impossible to train, and due to it being a hound,

I may be wrong but i don't think they are actually a hound.
I heard they can be hard to train but i've had no problems. he is calmer and much easier to train so far than my Lab was. I can't say enough good things about them

ufishifish2
02-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Ah, you are right mfarrally. I was misinformed and stand corrected.
Taken from Wikipedia:
"The breed is sometimes referred to as the "Catahoula Hound" or "Catahoula Leopard Hound", as it is not a true hound, but a cur."

"Cur refers to a mutt, a dog of mixed ancestry, typically characterized as one which tends to growl frequently rather than maintain calmness."

hazardiz
03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
They are originally a cross between an american bull dog and a red wolf...I have a 6 month pup and hes the best dog i've owned yet...didn't need to potty train him...loyal and smart...only issue I have with them is not enough fur to be a permanent outdoor dog without giving them a small heated shelter...

mfarrally
03-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Ya i read it was actually Red Wolves bred with the local Indian dogs of Catahoula Parish and the War dogs ( Mastiff and Greyhounds) that were brought to Louisiana by a guy named Hernando De Soto (Spanish). These dogs had bred together after the spanish came through and when the french showed up in the 1800's they brought their Beauceron for hunting and they bred together creating the Catahoula. If you google Catahoula there is a ton of info and theories about the history of them. From what I've read it sounds like no one really knows its complete orgins.
Hazardiz, where did you get yours from?