PDA

View Full Version : Which Region in BC producess the most trophy Mules.

Rainforest hunter
01-16-2010, 12:51 PM
In recent years what do you think the best region is in BC for trophy mule Deer?

hunter1947
01-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Thats a hard one to say ,you can find honkers almost anywhere in BC there are a handful of places..

dana
01-16-2010, 01:04 PM
All one has to do is look at the Trophy Wildlife Records of British Columbia to see that trophy mule deer are pretty much shot in every corner of the province and really no one region sticks out as the leader.

elkdom
01-16-2010, 01:09 PM
a good indication of what Regions produce the most Trophy Mulies would be to spend some time going over deer in the many volumes of "TROPHY DEER of BRITISH COLUMBIA"

and keep in mind things change from year to year, regionally and seldom remain as top producers, once an area produces some Huge Trophies, word gets around, hunting pressure increases, numbers can quickly dwindle,,,,

elkdom
01-16-2010, 01:10 PM
All one has to do is look at the Trophy Wildlife Records of British Columbia to see that trophy mule deer are pretty much shot in every corner of the province and really no one region sticks out as the leader.

:wink: ,,,

elkdom
01-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Ask anyone in the Clinton Pub.They will all say ''Not HERE.''http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

same here! NO deer,,,! just memories :shock:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

wrenchhead
01-16-2010, 02:26 PM
from what i here clearwaters got them all, definatly nothing bigger then a 3 point in the north okanagan.

Sitkaspruce
01-16-2010, 02:42 PM
As Dana and Elkdom said, pretty well every place that has mulies will harbour a few good ones. I believe if you spend the time and hunt away from the crowds, big mulies can be killed where ever there is a good population of them.

Do the research and you will find that most areas produce from time to time.

Cheers

SS

landphil
01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Thats a hard one to say ,you can find honkers almost anywhere in BC there are a handful of places..

Region 1 has the most mulies!:mrgreen:

BCrams
01-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Every region which harbours mule deer will have trophy mule deer bucks.

Deer densities will vary and so will hunter density. The higher the hunter density, the more you're gonna have to do to outsmart and figure out what they're doing and where they will be. Its not to say getting away from the crowds make it easier because I believe a mature muley buck is one of the toughest to find and harvest on a consistent basis irregardless of the situation. You really need to be dialed in.

Guys who know mule deer habitat and behaviour can pretty much go to any different region where there's a good mule deer population, and they'll still pull out good mature bucks. Having the ability to study maps, and delineate the habitat in which may be the best places a mature buck may reside and hunt it hard. That also means being highly adaptable to different hunting conditions and patterns.

Just putting yourself into Region 3 or the Peace, Chilcotin or the West Kootenays because some people are killing big deer doesn't mean you're going to go there and get one too.

Often, shit house luck happens and someone will round the corner while driving and see a big buck standing there ........ and it does happen to some very lucky individuals. I have not had that happen to me yet but you can make your own luck increase substantially by putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

Chuck
01-16-2010, 05:33 PM
And of course, if they aren't officially recorded, and I'm sure many in the past have not, how's anyone to know.

Islandeer
01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Salmo Summit. According Salmo Sally ...

MuleyStalker
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Trophy mulies don't exist, just like elves, gremlins, and eskimos.

Jelvis
01-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Taseko Lake ... Amigo north end west side of lake and you'll see em brah
and of course thompson/nicola
and lastly but not leastly is Lilooett the biggest ba hocks dude
one more Fort st John off private ranches
jelly in the trenches

moosinaround
01-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Trophy Mule deer are a dime a dozen!!! Pfft, just look at Dana, or Mark's galleries!! Must be Easy to shoot em!!!:wink:

The big one still come from Clearwater though!! right on up the trench through Valemount and west through to McBride! Seriously!!

Rainforest hunter
01-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Talking to guys that have been hunting in region 3 the last few years it sounds like there seeing tons of deer but no good ones. they have gone the last two years around barrier and up to clearwater. Is it normal to view hundreds of deer in the peek of the rut and not see a mature buck? they also comment that the hunting presure was stupid.

mark
01-16-2010, 09:49 PM
I tell people all the time...."anywhere there are deer....there is potential for huge deer" I regularly hunt regions 3, 4, 5, 7 & 8, Ive seen huge deer in all regions.
Now finding a huge buck, on crown land, in an open season, that stands around long enough for you too shoot him....Takes lots of time, and work, or alot of luck!

The best thing a hunter can do, is pick a decent place you enjoy hunting, get to know it very well, have faith that the buck of your dreams is out there, and have fun hunting, whether it happens or not!

The worst thing one can do, is driving around all over BC, chasing spots where you heard someone shot a monster buck!

huntcoop
01-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Clearwater bar none.

oscar makonka
01-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Not BC but If I could pick anywhere it would be southwestern Saskatchewan.

Rainforest hunter
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
thats to easy it's on draw and the landscape is wide open it's not the same as getting a BC buck.

IronNoggin
01-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Best odds for Book or Better is in Southern Alberta IMO.
See the related thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41269

I wasn't kidding when I noted that the area hunted has been producing super quality bucks for quite some time now, nor that the bucks from there quite rival anything being produced in the more traditional trophy areas in the States (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah).

Yes, there are indeed some very great bucks in BC, and I do believe they can be encountered pretty well anywhere they occur. But, having hunted a lot of BC, and the area in Alberta both on a frequent basis, I'd suggest the latter produces MORE quality heads per land unit than any I have hunted here. Limited pressure doesn't hurt your odds much either - we saw but one set of hunters the whole WEEK we were active there this season! :mrgreen:

Thus the reason I go back each and every year now...

Cheers,
Nog

358mag
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Region 9 lots of great Mulie bucks come out of there

BCrams
01-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Best odds for Book or Better is in Southern Alberta IMO.
See the related thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41269

I wasn't kidding when I noted that the area hunted has been producing super quality bucks for quite some time now, nor that the bucks from there quite rival anything being produced in the more traditional trophy areas in the States (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah).

Yes, there are indeed some very great bucks in BC, and I do believe they can be encountered pretty well anywhere they occur. But, having hunted a lot of BC, and the area in Alberta both on a frequent basis, I'd suggest the latter produces MORE quality heads per land unit than any I have hunted here. Limited pressure doesn't hurt your odds much either - we saw but one set of hunters the whole WEEK we were active there this season! :mrgreen:

Thus the reason I go back each and every year now...

Cheers,
Nog

No disputing Alberta has some great hunting for mule deer. The sightability factor in that country allows you to see more bucks than you would hunting in BC.

I'd say BC has more book animals available and a lot just die of old age because they inhabit country where seeing them is pretty tough as compared to the breaks of the Saskatchewan. Its not to say hunting the breaks are easy ..... but its a far cry easier than the breaks of even the Peace or the timber habitat they are usually found in BC.

frenchbar
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
[quote=BCrams;606691]No disputing Alberta has some great hunting for mule deer. The sightability factor in that country allows you to see more bucks than you would hunting in BC.

I'd say BC has more book animals available and a lot just die of old age because they inhabit country where seeing them is pretty tough as compared to the breaks of the Saskatchewan. agree with that 100% people dont ever get to see the big bruisers because they dont take the time and effort to get into the craggy spots they call home...then whine that theres no big deer left ...lots of trophy sized deer left!!!!

358mag
01-17-2010, 03:31 PM
[quote=BCrams;606691]No disputing Alberta has some great hunting for mule deer. The sightability factor in that country allows you to see more bucks than you would hunting in BC.

I'd say BC has more book animals available and a lot just die of old age because they inhabit country where seeing them is pretty tough as compared to the breaks of the Saskatchewan. agree with that 100% people dont ever get to see the big bruisers because they dont take the time and effort to get into the craggy spots they call home...then whine that theres no big deer left ...lots of trophy sized deer left!!!!
Amen to that statment !!!!!!!!!
or bitch + complain that the mule deer season isnt long enuff !!!!!

Island Blacktail
01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
hunting Alberta, sask and northern BC in farmers feilds for deer isn't the same as hunting in the mountains and timber for mules and blacktails in the rest of BC.

dana
01-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Talking to guys that have been hunting in region 3 the last few years it sounds like there seeing tons of deer but no good ones. they have gone the last two years around barrier and up to clearwater. Is it normal to view hundreds of deer in the peek of the rut and not see a mature buck? they also comment that the hunting presure was stupid.

When people see a guy like me posting up pics they think, 'damn, if he can do it, so can I.' What they fail to pay attention to is the fact I am out there year round through work and play. If you think that you can drive up to the North Thompson from the Okanagan or the Lower Mainland with the goal of killing a 200 incher in a week, you are on Crack. But the crowds think they have what it takes, so every year they giver a go. The last 2 years 90% of the out-of-towners had troubles finding dink meat bucks let alone the 200 inchers that are said to live behind every tree. I happen to have a passion for trophy muleys and happen to do my homework. I've said it many times before that if you want to kill a monster muley, you need to do it in your backyard. A place where you can put a lot of time in. There is nothing special about where I live. I'd still be killing big bucks if I was living in Kelowna or Williams Lake or Ft. St. John or Revelstoke or wherever. BC has big bucks in every corner. If I lived in the Lower Mainland, I'd be killing big bucks within a 2 hour drive.

When it comes to the cold facts, just look in the BC Record Book. Since the 1920's, the North Thompson, from Mclure to Blue River, has 20 bucks entered into the BC Book. Now compare that to the Williams Lake area with well over 100 enteries. Pretty basic math to see which area is better now isn't it?

srupp
01-17-2010, 05:34 PM
You ever notice that the "luckiest" guys are coincidently also the exact same guys that WORK THE HARDEST....

Maps, phoning, experience and just plain old get out there and LOOK..

I have somewhat of a advantage in the chopper work I do...100% job related, but cant help but notice HUGE deer or where some cali sheep have shown up..:-D..see more in a couple of trips than most guys do in a complete season..and 120 mph and coming over ridges..no time for the deer to react..CALI sheep on the other hand scatter whenever they hear a chopper or plane..courtosy of all the tagging and investigating by wildlife branch in the past..they do learn..imprinted..

I know one area that I repeatadly see huge deer...the average deer there is still bigger than most other areas...and I truly have seen some hum-dingers...difficult access...and not immediatly close to any communities..

I have absolutley seen more than 8 or 9 Boone and Crockett entries running those ridges....

Only guy who knows where they are from this site other than my pilot and me is BCRAMS...

cheers

Steven

Cariboospeed
01-17-2010, 06:56 PM
I've lived all over B.C. There's big mulies in every backyard, and that's where you should hunt. They need protein to grow big, strong bone, so plant an alfalfa patch, some sweet peas, clover, and beans. Apples and pears for carbs to get them good and fat.
Grow your own, and roll your own for the most satisfaction.

Jelvis
01-17-2010, 06:59 PM
You missed lime stone dude need limestone for big racks that's why Lil'wat has most of the record mule deer racks.
jElvis -- genes, nutrition, mineral water with sodium and limestone makes for bigger racks

frenchbar
01-17-2010, 08:13 PM
You missed lime stone dude need limestone for big racks that's why Lil'wat has most of the record mule deer racks.
jElvis -- genes, nutrition, mineral water with sodium and limestone makes for bigger racks
jellylimestonebuckswithmassiveracks....jellyknowsb est:-D

358mag
01-17-2010, 08:20 PM
When people see a guy like me posting up pics they think, 'damn, if he can do it, so can I.' What they fail to pay attention to is the fact I am out there year round through work and play. If you think that you can drive up to the North Thompson from the Okanagan or the Lower Mainland with the goal of killing a 200 incher in a week, you are on Crack. But the crowds think they have what it takes, so every year they giver a go. The last 2 years 90% of the out-of-towners had troubles finding dink meat bucks let alone the 200 inchers that are said to live behind every tree. I happen to have a passion for trophy muleys and happen to do my homework. I've said it many times before that if you want to kill a monster muley, you need to do it in your backyard. A place where you can put a lot of time in. There is nothing special about where I live. I'd still be killing big bucks if I was living in Kelowna or Williams Lake or Ft. St. John or Revelstoke or wherever. BC has big bucks in every corner. If I lived in the Lower Mainland, I'd be killing big bucks within a 2 hour drive.

When it comes to the cold facts, just look in the BC Record Book. Since the 1920's, the North Thompson, from Mclure to Blue River, has 20 bucks entered into the BC Book. Now compare that to the Williams Lake area with well over 100 enteries. Pretty basic math to see which area is better now isn't it?
Some people still cant see the forest because off all the trees well said Dana
think will have to drive to Willy Puddle and shot a few of the 200 class mulie bucks

gibblewabble
01-17-2010, 09:27 PM
from what i here clearwaters got them all, definatly nothing bigger then a 3 point in the north okanagan.
I second that Wrenchhead there are definately no muley bruisers in the north OK.:shock:I heard they all moved to Dawson Creek.

sawmill
01-18-2010, 09:31 AM
If I could hunt in Kimberley city limits I`d have one in the book every year.Last winter we had a 200 class walking around town dragging 30 feet of outdoor Christmas tree lights on his rack.He got tangled up in someones outdoor light display.

proguide66
01-18-2010, 10:06 AM
As Mark said , anywhere there is deer is potential for a monster.....I am a FIRM believer that there IS a large dominant breeder male where EVER there is deer.
Another note , years ag
o I guided a wildlife bio fro the US , old guy with a keen passion for the outdoors and as well full of knowledge.
He said that EVERY species out there has some specimens that are GENETICALLY SUPERIOR over its brothers and cousins...he also said it is near impossible to ' shoot out' an area due to there ALWAYS being the genetically superior animal that just WONT BE SEEN EVER by humans...unless of course you get a human that is crazy enough to donate REDICULOUS amounts of time in trying to find one in one area.
As mentioned earlier , chasing the spots will = failure most times...failure in finding a genetically superior animal that is....funny how many people flock to where a BIG buck was shot....ITS ALREADY DEAD !!!:lol:
Another note...how many guys want a HUGE buck soooo bad but keep on shooting small ones???...then what is their most likely excuse for not shooting a big one??..."cause all the big ones must be shot out"...hahaha.....nope , CAUSE YOU KEEP SHOOTING SMALL ONES..ONLY REASON....:tongue:

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
:lol: x2 on the already dead and shooting dinks :lol: