PDA

View Full Version : federal black cloud choke tubes?

Kitimat Killer
01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
hey guys i just started shooting the black clouds and the end of the season out of my sx3 and love them im using a full choke right now just wondering if any of you guys have an aftermarket choke that has tryed the black cloud and does it help that much more or should i just stay with my full choke

thanks
kk

blindman
01-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Full choke seems a little tight for steel. What range are the ducks you are shooting at and having success?

Kitimat Killer
01-16-2010, 12:10 AM
i do most of my shooting at 30 and farther and i only shoot a 26in barrel so i find the full choke the best

01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I say just let the birds come a bit closer...

Chessieguy
01-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Cant really help you with the after market tube question, other than to comment that a lot of the after market tubes (Patternmasters and Wad Wizards in particular) are actually counterproductive and even potentially dangerous with the Black Cloud ammo.
There is potential that the wad tabs in the tube can interfere or catch the tabs on the black clouds shot cup and potentially block the barrel.

From the wAD wIZARD SITE:

Q. Can I use Black Cloud with the Wad Wizard? A. The verdict is still out as to whether you can safely put the Flite Control Wad through a wad stripping choke tube. I have had several customers tell me how much they liked this particular ammo through our tube but there have been reports that there have been problems with the other wad stripping choke tube on the market. Some of our technical experts have suggested that the problem is being caused by the porting in our competitors choke. Just because there are no ports on our choke tube does not necessarily take it out of the safety issue game. These two products are designed to do opposite things. My feeling on this subject is to stick with ammo that uses a tough wad cup and one that preferably covers the shot -- these two components are time-tested and true with our product.

My 2 cents worth..

longshotz
01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
i do most of my shooting at 30 and farther and i only shoot a 26in barrel so i find the full choke the best
Barrel length has no effect on pattern density, or velocity of the payload, Modern smokeless powder is all burned within the first 12-18 inches of barrel.
Full choke with steel shot is often a detriment to pattern quality as the (steel) shot charge cannot compress fast enough to squeeze through the choke tube resulting in blown patterns, and in some cases, damage to the barrel and/or choke tubes.
Check with the manufacturer of the gun and the choke tube as to the suitability of full choke and steel. Most do not recommend this combination.
Those that do have their "full" tube inside diameter at something less than standard SAMMI spec. and/or special alloy and/or manufacturing process to accommodate steel in a FC tube.
The larger steel shot needed for water-fowling is better put through a more open bored tube (modified, imp. mod or even Imp Cyl.) for best results.
Spend some time on the pattern board and chronograph, and you will see vastly improved scores on your part.
If some doubt still exists with any factory shotgun choke tubes then order a set of after market water fowl choke tubes

Longshotz

blindman
01-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Longshotz is right on target! Or I mean, "choke."

heyblast
01-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I agree with Longshotz. Barrel length I believe has more to do with personal preference. My gun has a 32 inch barrel only because I find it gives a better balance for me. My buddies gun is 26 and I don't like the way feels and he dosn't like mine. I also tried the Blackclouds and watched some wads almost reach the duck making me think you might actually want a more open choke, but I'm only guessing without doing some pattern tests.