PDA

View Full Version : Is a 500+ inch Elk Possible?

IronNoggin
01-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Apparently in Colorado it is!
One of my Buddies sits on a Western US Game Management / Hunting Board. He sent these pictures to me this morning. 540 B&C Inches! http://bestsmileys.com/wow/4.gif
Damn thing looks like something that came out of the last Ice Age!! :-?

ENJOY!

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/540_Colorado_Elk.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/540_Colorado_Elk_2.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/540_Colorado_Elk_3.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Alpine85
01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
At least they did a good job hiding the fences in the field photos :???:

whitetailsheds
01-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Amazing what can grow on those ranches....just finished watching a DVD of hunts...several over 450...one 505....the other 495....Saskabush...

KB90
01-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Clearly an Elk & Fallow Deer hybrid.....:)

Jetboater
01-15-2010, 03:42 PM
this bull has been around for years... canned hunt!!!

MikeH
01-15-2010, 04:06 PM
lol can you say photoshop, thing would take like shoe leather.

4blade
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
looks likes years of steroid abuse

Moose Guide
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Check out the huge bull elk shot in the Yukon this year!!!

leadpillproductions
01-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Check out the huge bull elk shot in the Yukon this year!!!

man what a pig that was . one day

leadpillproductions
01-15-2010, 08:48 PM
http://www.fieldandstream.com/files/imagecache/photo-gallery/photo/23/photo1.JPGthe yukon bull 451

Moose Guide
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
man what a pig that was . one day

Thanks, I'm computer illiterate but I knew someone would post the pics. :-D

dukester
01-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Looks like a nice fenced ridge line, but i can be wrong.. if this elk was 500 pts shot in the wild, i'm sure it would have made more stink.

Noname
01-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Ok guys these pics have been float around for years. These are farm elk canned hunts..

elkdom
01-16-2010, 12:40 PM
a mature Bull elk at large in the Wild would have those massive antlers polished to a dark sheen, as the antlers appear white and have dead/dry velvet attached to much of the bone, would indicate the Bull Elk was "penned'/fenced inside a paddock", prior to being shot, as there is ample foliage and a lot of trees in the immediate area it is obvious the hunt/kill was a "canned hunt" and Bulls that large and mature do not linger around open areas waiting to be shot,,, on a warm sunny day,
the blow flies are on the dead elk by the thousands, so I really doubt if the meat was of much interest to the hero's posing for the pictures,,,

all in all, not very impressive at all IMO, CANNED Hunts are of absolutely NO interest to me, no matter how huge or impressive the so called trophy may be,,:-?

dana
01-16-2010, 12:58 PM
The shooter had the balls to enter that bull into the Monster Muleys.com Big Buck and Bull contest a few years ago. Was pulled rather quickly when someone posted up pics of the live bull from that particular high-fence operation's website. It ain't all that amazing when you combine AI, steriods, and special formulated feed to create the animal.

browningboy
01-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Well I'm heading down to Northern Arizona for a mule hunt next friday, it's west of Flagstaff and the guy that I meet there is an avid elk hunter, so I can't wait to see all his pics etc..
Maybey I will see a 500? or not....:-D

wjh131
01-16-2010, 05:07 PM

And the ear tags!

1/2 slam
01-16-2010, 06:35 PM
[quote=elkdom;605988],
the blow flies are on the dead elk by the thousands, /quote]

Where??

elkdom
01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
[quote=elkdom;605988],
the blow flies are on the dead elk by the thousands, /quote]

Where??

what do you think all them little black specks on the bull elk in the middle picture is?? pepper??:???: :lol: :-?,
not to mention the elks' stomach has pretty good "bloat on' buy the time they posed for all their pictures!
and last of all, in the last 2 pictures a house and some other buildings! wow! how lucky is that! a wild 500+ bull elk!, not very likely,
shooting farmed big game does not impress me! :rolleyes:

gamehunter6o
01-16-2010, 11:35 PM
a mature Bull elk at large in the Wild would have those massive antlers polished to a dark sheen, as the antlers appear white and have dead/dry velvet attached to much of the bone, would indicate the Bull Elk was "penned'/fenced inside a paddock", prior to being shot, as there is ample foliage and a lot of trees in the immediate area it is obvious the hunt/kill was a "canned hunt" and Bulls that large and mature do not linger around open areas waiting to be shot,,, on a warm sunny day,
the blow flies are on the dead elk by the thousands, so I really doubt if the meat was of much interest to the hero's posing for the pictures,,,

all in all, not very impressive at all IMO, CANNED Hunts are of absolutely NO interest to me, no matter how huge or impressive the so called trophy may be,,:-?

I fully agree with Elkdom. The deer industry in NZ supplies 'trophy red stags' for what is sometimes claimed to be 'fair chase' hunts.
About 8 years ago, a stag called "Adonis" was shot at a reputed $50,000NZ and his world record score was 520SCI.
I saw this great hunters photo published in a magazine with the 'new world record'. :roll:
The new world record is now about 660SCI and could be shot for maybe 1/2 million NZ.
The only skill required is to pour a bucket of corn on the ground, upwind from the stag, and shoot him at 50yds max.
My hero, yeah right.

1/2 slam
01-17-2010, 10:49 AM
[quote=1/2 slam;606168]

what do you think all them little black specks on the bull elk in the middle picture is?? pepper??:???: :lol: :-?,
not to mention the elks' stomach has pretty good "bloat on' buy the time they posed for all their pictures!
and last of all, in the last 2 pictures a house and some other buildings! wow! how lucky is that! a wild 500+ bull elk!, not very likely,
shooting farmed big game does not impress me! :rolleyes:

You mean the 10-15 spots? Sure don't see thousands.