PDA

View Full Version : Pelt tanning fee - Coyote

pete_k
01-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Just checked. It's $75 to tan a Coyote pelt and $200 for a Wolf.
A bit too pricey for me. I don't know anyone who would buy a coyote pelt, so there goes my Coyote season. Unless I learn to tan.

Any suggestions? Regs say I'm supposed to harvest the hide. But what am I going to do with it?

yukon john
01-15-2010, 01:03 PM
dont bother tanning em just hang em on the wall raw and switch em out for frozen ones every couple days :-D

dukester
01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Just checked. It's $75 to tan a Coyote pelt and $200 for a Wolf.
A bit too pricey for me. I don't know anyone who would buy a coyote pelt, so there goes my Coyote season. Unless I learn to tan.

Any suggestions? Regs say I'm supposed to harvest the hide. But what am I going to do with it?
Call a few Hutterite Colonies, some have there own Tannery. You can deal with them, give them 4 yodies and take home 2 with reduced price. Chat with them awhile , support them by buying a few chickens, eggs and bread, your price will drop .. :wink:

30.06 Hunter
01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Contact one of the trappers on the site, they may take them off your hands, probably not for any money but at least they will be put to some use.
Check out the wolf trapping thread for a few names.

Pete
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
You do not have to tan your hides to sell them. If you properly skin out your coyotes, flesh, sew up the holes, wash the hide and then board and dry the hide properly you can sell them to a fur buyer such as NAFA or Fur Harvester

Slime green cat
01-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I dont know why we cant just shoot them and leave them ?? Ravens will clean it up .
If there are so many that there is NBL province wide, why do we have to take them and skin them ?
I want to do some coyote hunting in the next couple months, but I need to find sombody that will take them whole ... I dont want any money, but I dot really want to skin a stinky dog either ? Anybody want some free, but whole yotes with 300 wsm holes in them :tongue:

KB90
01-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I have one sitting in my freezer. I am going to try and tan it myself. If it don't work meh I still got my 75 bucks :)

Heres the article I'm going to follow I just can decide which tanning agent to use...
http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.pdf

Slee
01-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Rittels ez100 kits are super easy any dont require haz-mat shipping.

http://www.taxidermy.com/

Pete
01-17-2010, 02:54 PM
[quote=Slee;605477]Rittels ez100 kits are super easy

There is a lot of work to do even before the tanning process begins. If you want to do a good job, the hides have to be properly fleshed absoultely no fat or meat left on the hide. The ears should be turned and or the cartledge removed, as well the lips should be split. The Tail bone must be removed and the tail split right to the end If you are leaving the paws on they have to be skinned out to the last knukle.
Could be an issue if you have never done it before. If you are interested in learning how PM me.

FLHTCUI
01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Call a few Hutterite Colonies, some have there own Tannery. You can deal with them, give them 4 yodies and take home 2 with reduced price. Chat with them awhile , support them by buying a few chickens, eggs and bread, your price will drop .. :wink:

Unfortunately dukester, there are very few Hutterite Colonies here in BC ;)
but, your advice is well taken, there are trappers that may offer the same service for a small fee/exchnage, etc...
I read on AO in the trapping section that the last fur auction there where over 10k Coyote pelts for sale and very few where sold.
There is a glutt of them on the market and the price is very low even for prime pelts.
Rob

.300WSMImpact!
01-17-2010, 04:49 PM
rodents are rodents

martyonthewater
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
couldn't a trapper use the carcass as bait? I realize there pretty small but enough of em in a pile will still smell like dead animal