PDA

View Full Version : Feeding puppies baby formula?

500grhollowpoint
01-15-2010, 09:00 AM
So I have some Mastiff puppies that are 2 weeks old. Mom won't let them feed off her. The dog formula I have been using is $80 a can and I am wondering if baby formula would work? Anything I need to look for in it? A specific brand?

Anyone done this? Have some first hand knowlege not speculation?

EDIT Nevermind. Google is your friend. Looks like the answer is no. Althongh looks like wal mart sells it, gotta be cheaper than the vet.

Marley420
01-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Good morning, we used Esbolac for our Lab litter. It's baby dog formula at $30 a container. I don't know about regular baby formula, I guess the usual, ask your vet.

Good luck

digger dogger
01-15-2010, 09:10 AM
enfalac.. it works, i have used it.. it's alot of work. i had to make the mom lay down and feed supervised. she dryed up quick because she was a disgruntled mom and didn't feed the pups regularily..buy a few nipples so you can find the right flow.. ( you;ll know the sweet spot ) if they are dehydrated put in a little pedialyte, into the formula.. good luck

kinderdoggin
01-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Here is a site with some puppy formula recipes that you can make at home.
http://www.vonfalconer.com/recipes.html Much cheaper than Esbilac and just as wholesome provided you use *all* the ingredients. Don't skip any.

Is mom feeling alright? You might want to check her bag to make sure it doesn't feel warm or hard. Does any milk come out when you squeeze? Maybe the reason she's not feeding them is that she is developing mastitis. If this is the case, a trip to the vet is in order asap.

Once the puppies eyes are open, you may be able to encourage them to start eating a gruel. Probably not quite ready for that yet though I'm guessing...

Good luck,
Erin & the Eromit Labs

digger dogger
01-15-2010, 09:54 AM
that's a good link kdoggin, tnx. i learned something today. :-) way cheaper!

kinderdoggin
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
There are a couple of good books on dog breeding and puppy care that are a good investment for those with puppies or puppies on the way.
Canine Reproduction and Whelping: A Dog Breeder's Guide

and

Puppy Intensive Care: A Breeder's Guide to Care of Newborn Puppies

These are both written by Myra Savant Harris and can usually be found on Amazon or Ebay. The books won't replace your vet in an emergency BUT will help teach you what to signs to look for that would indicate a problem with mom or babies, and some great ways to prevent your puppies from getting sick. The books also come with DVD's that show you what she is talking about. Really a good resource.

~Erin

Kasomor
01-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Is mom feeling alright? You might want to check her bag to make sure it doesn't feel warm or hard. Does any milk come out when you squeeze? Maybe the reason she's not feeding them is that she is developing mastitis. If this is the case, a trip to the vet is in order asap.

Ditto. Check each breast. Only takes one to get infected and you could be looking at a HUGE vet bill to set everything right.

If she does have mastitis it is an emergency vet trip IMO.

Is her temp. normal? How about discharge, is that normal too? What does your vet say about all this?

Best of luck,
Kasomor