PDA

View Full Version : custom knife makers in bc

bridger
01-15-2010, 04:19 AM
i am in the market for a new hunting knife. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good custom knife maker preferably in bc. thanks in advance.

GoatGuy
01-15-2010, 04:58 AM
buddy got one made out of williams lake this year from part of one of his muskox from last year. The name will come to me.

blacklab
01-15-2010, 08:07 AM
I you can provide the price range and the style you want I can help you out. I know a lot of BC makers though nobody in your area that's still active.

frenchbar
01-15-2010, 08:10 AM
blacklab makes some awesome looking knives,,,, still making them Bob ?

srupp
01-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Bridger...I am just home from 14 hr nite shift YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN..and my mind is numb and mush..:tongue:..anyhow there is an exceptional knife maker here in Williams Lake..I gave my hunting partner one of his knifes this year for Tims birthday..

exceptional fit and finish, materials etc etc comes with lifetime warranty and lifetime sharpening..exellent sheath also..

his name is MARTY BEETS..and if you google his name he has a website..

cheers

SRUPP:-D

.308 NORMA
01-15-2010, 11:54 AM
This guy makes knifes,{FLOYD TERNIER.} Phone No;250 546 8140, he lives in Armstrong BC.

weatherby_man
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Blacktail makes some nice knives. I bought one from him last year and absolutely love it. Hes in AB but the transaction was extremely easy.

todbartell
01-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I have a Max Searls, very nice knife. Im afraid to use it. Got it for Xmas from my father in law. Seen a couple others of his and they're great.

blacklab
01-15-2010, 01:11 PM
blacklab makes some awesome looking knives,,,, still making them Bob ?
Yup still grinding most every day, I'm trying to slow down a bit but not having much luck.
Marty , Floyd and Max all do good work, I'm not familiar with blacktails work other than what I've seen posted here, it's all a matter of style and price.
I've even sold a few knives in BC. myself.

twanger
01-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Mooseknuckler in Fraser Lake made these for my boy's and we are very happy with them. :mrgreen:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/elk_handle_knives_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14555&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1707)

brian
01-15-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.cosmoknives.com/

Seen this guys knives at the Saltspring market, beautifully crafted, well weighted, they are a work of art.

kendoo
01-15-2010, 01:37 PM
There was a good knife maker in Hudsons Hope

thunderheart
01-15-2010, 01:46 PM
mik langley in qualicum is a certified master blade smith .. everything from small folding to Damascus swords
he is a friend of mine

thetackdriver
01-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I have a Max Searls, very nice knife. Im afraid to use it. Got it for Xmas from my father in law. Seen a couple others of his and they're great.

Ive got one of his knives and so does my dad. Skinned a moose, an elk, a deer and a bear with it and its still sharp. Awesome knives!

HighCountry
01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
what about Benchmade.They make very good knive.

Magnum22
01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
The nicest handmade knives I have come across are made by Bob Lay. I own a few. You will have to google it; he sells his knives now through a wholesaler in the U.S., but sells a few locally. This is one of the wholesalers, www.peasandcornco.com/gifts/boblayknives.asp (http://www.peasandcornco.com/gifts/boblayknives.asp). If you like the look of the knives, let me know, I can pass his number onto you.

frenchbar
01-15-2010, 06:48 PM
The nicest handmade knives I have come across are made by Bob Lay. I own a few. You will have to google it; he sells his knives now through a wholesaler in the U.S., but sells a few locally. This is one of the wholesalers, www.peasandcornco.com/gifts/boblayknives.asp (http://www.peasandcornco.com/gifts/boblayknives.asp). If you like the look of the knives, let me know, I can pass his number onto you.
X2 IVE GOT ONE THAT HE MADE THATS ABOUT 25 YRS OLD ..AWESOME KNIVES.

Shooter
01-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Ddog here also makes real nice knives. I bought one last year from him and am extremely happy with it.

Monashee
01-15-2010, 07:04 PM
http://www.caribooblades.com/homepage.html

hardnocks
01-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I would third the bob lay knifes more like show pieces though. roger hat in kingfisher makes really nice knives.

boyd050
01-15-2010, 07:23 PM
check out Ddog on this site, he makes some excellent knives!!!

Brett
01-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Bill Wiebe in PG ( work with him) Makes folders and straight blades, will make anything you want all blades are hollow ground, sent out for hardening ( in the other order) and can have handle material of your choice. The last one I bought has a neoprene handle that feels so nice, I bought it after holding it. I like Bills knives because they look a little more modern than most and the quality is amazing. What you'de expect from a 30+year machinist with a passion for sharp stuff

Dirty
01-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Floyd Ternier makes a nice knife, and reasonably price to boot.

Drillbit
01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Didn't read the whole post thru, and sorry if I insult any knife makers, but it's hard to bead Cutco knives. They are $90, and are warrantied if they go dull. Takes around 10 days return for warrantee. (can;t spelll warrantee)sorry

frenchbar
01-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Didn't read the whole post thru, and sorry if I insult any knife makers, but it's hard to bead Cutco knives. They are $90, and are warrantied if they go dull. Takes around 10 days return for warrantee. (can;t spelll warrantee)sorryive got one of those 2 ..pretty dam good knife that stays in my pack!

bridger
01-17-2010, 04:26 AM
thanks for the help guys much appreciated bridger

bridger
01-17-2010, 04:28 AM
There was a good knife maker in Hudsons Hope

his name is heinz leber. i have had several of his knives. he made me a custom knife in 1978 and i lost it two years ago on a sheep hunt. unfortuantely heinz had a serious stroke about five years ago and is no longer capable of producing his fine knives.

bigwhiteys
01-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I have heard of Heinz Lebers knives before... My Dad had someone close to FSJ make me a custom knife for my birthday quite a few years ago.

Joseph Breti "Coal Creek Custom Knifes" It's made from planer blade steel from the dawson creek sawmill. Really nice knife, but I believe Jospeh passed away... He sure built a wicked knife though!

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/knife.jpg

bridger
01-17-2010, 09:40 AM
joe is still alive and kicking but retired

Ddog
01-17-2010, 06:49 PM
i make knives, but first i want to pipe in about CUTCO knives, i have 2 sets of these knives , the kitchen set ---> valued at $1000 and then a few others that are values at anywhere from $100 to $300 each, if i had a choice ( i did not) they were a gift, i would never ever recommend any one of these knives, not only are they over priced they are by far the worst knife or knives i have ever used, complete crap for the price of these knives. The guarantee on these knives are awesome, if it goes dull (always) they re-sharpen them for free or replace and so they should i mean you pay $100 for a knife that is actually worth $10 they better sharpen or replace it!
if you are in the market for a custom made knife i would go to a knife maker not an assembly line type of knife. There is lots out there and each makes a good knife, i would love to help you out but i am just to busy to take any orders.
but do ask BLACKTAIL on here because his knives are pretty decent knives!

Moose Guide
01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Roberts Roost Knives in Kaslo B.C. not stainless, very hard, hard to sharpen and very rugged, fantastic workmanship!

deer nut
01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
John Seabrook in Egmont BC makes awesome knives - if you order far enough in advance (Hippies are slow!) 604-883-2302.

I bought one this year & am very pleased with it. I had to have one after watching my buddy's son fart around with his for around moose camp whittling etc. I used it to dress out a moose after a week of abuse & it was still razor sharp!

BiG Boar
01-17-2010, 07:50 PM
I'll vouch for cutco also. Just the serated one though. However I am still going to get a custom one made up this year.

watson721
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
how do i get to Ddogs site?

Maxx
01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
is heinz leber from Hudson hope not making knives anymore? I have a few of his, and they are awesome!

RBH
01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
i would never ever recommend any one of these knives, not only are they over priced they are by far the worst knife or knives i have ever used, complete crap for the price of these knives.

I agree with ddog. Cutco is way overpriced, mainly because they pay fat sales commissions to college students who sell them to housewives. Why buy a henkel bread knife for $30 when you can buy a cutco for $100? Well, that's bus I guess (we have a few so what can I say...helped put a few kids thru college but that doesn't mean they're good knives.) The warranty is good bus for them, too, because many will buy because of the warranty but few will use it. Having said that, if you don't mind shipping your knife to timbuktu to get it sharpened then it will no doubt come back good and sharp.

Now that I'm finished with the cutco rant :mrgreen: I would say Yeah buy a good quality custom knife -- it will always be unique and it will be yours. From what I have seen it won't cost much more than run of the mill production knives and steel will be better.

One piece of advice: get the smallest knife that will get the job done. My preference is blade length max 3.5" but I don't deal with large animals.

troutseeker
01-19-2010, 09:00 PM
There is a fellow in Campbell River, last name McKenzie. He makes the most amazing knives! Forges the blades, uses good steel and even makes his own damascus... You can find him on canadiangunnutz, his handle is conan-586.

I have of of his camp knives and it is unbelievable!

Dragginbait
01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I have a J. Breti knife that was givin to me for christmas a few years ago. It stays home most trips cause I'm afraid I'll lose it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/breti_Small_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9107&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1006)

A killer
01-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Check out : cosmoknives.com Located on Saltspring Island
He is a wicked knive maker!!!!!!!!

Aaron

Ironwolf
02-06-2015, 01:35 PM
I recently discovered there's a maker in Campbell River as well: Scott Laughlin, Sandstorm Custom Knives. Haven't had a chance to check out his craft 1st hand yet, but I'm willing to bet his knives are top-shelf. He uses some of my favorite steels, and his designs are really well thought out.

dirtguy
02-19-2015, 11:30 AM
I have a couple blades from Terrier blades on the island and love them both, another guy i by from is bushkill blades out of the states, makes some nice stuff and priced right

Ed George
02-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Peter with Terrier Blades gets my nod. I now have 2 of his, one is new but the other has done 2 animals and has no need for sharpening. Peter hardens his own blades and can provide the hardness test data. Amazingly sharp.

BimmerBob
02-19-2015, 12:59 PM
I have a few custom knives and by far the nicest is one that Blacklab put together for me, it is absolutely a functional work of art, I love it. Going custom lets you work with the knife maker to make something that you will have forever and will be passed down as a family heirloom. Talk to Bob (Blacklab on this site) and discover the options he may have for you...

Trapper
02-19-2015, 06:17 PM
you guys are 5 years too late

BCROB
02-20-2015, 12:14 PM
custom Knife "assemblers" and custom Knife "makers"..............big difference

The Dawg
02-20-2015, 12:27 PM

:)

Nailed it....

blacklab
02-20-2015, 12:47 PM
It's amazing how many knife makers there are that can't grind a blade, but talk a good line.

Good2bCanadian
02-20-2015, 03:47 PM
I have 3 knives from

http://www.blackmountainforge.ca

They turned out awesome.

This ones my favorite.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszrbd73nb.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/mikesmith7/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszrbd73nb.jpg.html)

Bought my my wife a nice kitchen carver for Xmas this year from him as well.

blacklab
02-20-2015, 04:53 PM
I have a few custom knives and by far the nicest is one that Blacklab put together for me, it is absolutely a functional work of art, I love it. Going custom lets you work with the knife maker to make something that you will have forever and will be passed down as a family heirloom. Talk to Bob (Blacklab on this site) and discover the options he may have for you...

Thanks, it's comments like that that makes standing in room full of dust all day worthwhile.

BCROB
02-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks, it's comments like that that makes standing in room full of dust all day worthwhile.

Just keep that respirator on Bob !! ......and to add Bobs a good guy too, a well respected maker in the industry, has invited me many times over the years to his shop to bs about knife making tips n tricks it's just connecting at the right time that's prevented that.....so when your drivin by Bob , stop in !! LOL !!

BCR

blacklab
02-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Thanks Rob, my shops open unless I'm hunting or fishing
I try to wear a mask as much as I can, and have two dust collectors.

Wild one
02-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Only custom knife I have owned was made by caribou knives in Abbotsford

Very happy with it and it is the best knife I have ever owned

REMINGTON JIM
02-21-2015, 10:17 AM

Now there is a Very TRUE statement ! :wink: RJ

greybark
02-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Only custom knife I have owned was made by caribou knives in Abbotsford

Very happy with it and it is the best knife I have ever owned

Wild one , quite a few years ago I had a great tour of his shop , beside various scales he had the means of synthetic molding .
Cheers

tailgate77
02-21-2015, 10:46 PM
Terrier Blades from Naniamo has really nice pieces. Not in your area, but he has a great on-line store.

http://www.terrierblades.com

greybark
02-21-2015, 10:54 PM

BimmerBob , your right on the functional work of art thing and I am fortunate to also have one of those special knives . One nice thng about these customs is that there is so much character in each that it is difficult to compare them .
The build is on an older post -search "The Gift Knife"
Cheers

Farmer don
03-21-2015, 04:21 PM
http://www.mackenzieknives.com
White Rock bc

cromey
06-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone reconizes this knife maker can't find anything if he's still around or not looking to get the blade fixed thanks in advance

Dog_River
08-03-2015, 01:08 PM
I had "Bandit" from Whitehorse build me three matching knives and he did an amazing job. I forget Bandits real name. He builds a great knife. I've got a 4 1/2" skinning knife, a 3" detail/bird knife and a nice filleting knife, all matching moose shin handles and brass hardware.

Dog_River

blacklab
08-03-2015, 02:59 PM
I had "Bandit" from Whitehorse build me three matching knives and he did an amazing job. I forget Bandits real name. He builds a great knife. I've got a 4 1/2" skinning knife, a 3" detail/bird knife and a nice filleting knife, all matching moose shin handles and brass hardware.

Dog_River

George Roberts

BC-Kiwi
08-09-2015, 03:18 PM
I have four of Peter from Terrier's knives. One of the Arbutus series hunters, a deer hunter for my wife, a neckie and he did a Custom Sgian Dubh with a Damscus blade and Mammoth Ivory and Ebony handle. I supplied the mammoth ivory. Laser etched both family crests.

Custom service is great. He is doing a large carver/serving knife for me in the near future for use at our lamb spits and Burns dinners

jeff341
08-11-2015, 12:19 AM
I work a lot with knives...... And agree cutco knives are pretty weak. When I can, I'd get a Cosmo blade from salt spring island. He is busy now with another kid I heard.......laying off production a bit. He also make pretty neat Damascus rings as well. I have a buck Boone and Crockett alpha hunter I want to put a new handle on....make it a bit slimmer I the hand.....

Dog_River
08-16-2015, 07:16 AM
You are correct, its etched right on the blades (doh) Do you know George ?

Dog_River

George Roberts

blacklab
08-16-2015, 07:53 AM
He attends the show in Kamloops every year.

hcksharp
05-05-2016, 06:37 AM
and there is www.haslinger-knives.com formerly of Alberta now residing in Coldstream BC.

uraarchr
05-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Cromer. That's a Roberts Roost knife.used to be out of Montana I think .Now Kaslo BC.sells knives out of a store in Kaslo(not a knife store but more like crafts and stuff?)That's what I found on the net.I bought one of his knives in a pawn shop .similar finish and colors to the one you show.

Runlevel
05-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Hatt in Enderby BC

BgBlkDg
05-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Cromer. That's a Roberts Roost knife.used to be out of Montana I think .Now Kaslo BC.sells knives out of a store in Kaslo(not a knife store but more like crafts and stuff?)That's what I found on the net.I bought one of his knives in a pawn shop .similar finish and colors to the one you show.

The guy who started "Robert's Roost" in Kaslo, was a Yankee from Montana, big cowboy hat, very large gut and HUGE ego. I met him at a few craft and gun shows in Nelson, and most of us just laughed at his pretensions.

A guy I knew, actually taught to plant trees and to sharpen a knife, bought one of RR's knives, but, it was a piece of crap and when I later asked the RR dude what steel he used, he arrogantly replied, "that's a trade secret"......give me a phuckin' break, NO good maker hides his choice of materials.

I prefer D2 or SV30 hardened to 58ish and with Ironwood or another hardwood scales. I also have and like a small forged hunter from a young guy in the US and it is easy to sharpen, but, will not hold an edge like D2 or SV30.

Anyone know where Steve Price may now be or O'Connell?

ACB
05-19-2016, 07:03 PM
i am in the market for a new hunting knife. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good custom knife maker preferably in bc. thanks in advance.
You should have been at the Kamloops Gun show there were lots of maker's selling Knifes there, even a native guy with knifes that he Knapped out of flint and other type's of rock. Quite impressive how sharp they were. You could have a look at the Western Canadian Knife Making ASS. web site. They might be able to put you on somebody.

Rhyno
05-19-2016, 07:07 PM
You should have been at the Kamloops Gun show there were lots of maker's selling Knifes there, even a native guy with knifes that he Knapped out of flint and other type's of rock. Quite impressive how sharp they were. You could have a look at the Western Canadian Knife Making ASS. web site. They might be able to put you on somebody.

It's been over 6years, chance are pretty good he has found one by now;)