PDA

View Full Version : Wally Grouse

pete_k
01-15-2010, 01:02 AM
This is just a simple story:
My father in-law (Brian), fiance and myself all were out road hunting about 5 years ago and Brian decided to tell us one of his hunting stories that involves an elderly friend of his named Wally and another guy named Dave.

Brian, Wally and Dave were in the truck on an FSR heading to some clear cuts to do some deer hunting in the Beaverdel area. Brian was driving very slow down this rough road and Wally shouts "Stop. Grouse!" The truck lurches to a halt and Wally gets out with the .22. He loads up, sights in and BANG..Nothing. The Grouse is still standing. "I missed. Did'nt move..dumb Grouse" Wally says. He takes another stance, raises the rifle and fires again. "Damn. Missed again" says Wally. Brian suggests to Wally that maybe it's not a Grouse, but a stump or dead plant. "No way" replies Wally "It's a Grouse". Wally walks up about 20 feet and fires again. Still nothing. This time Wally walks directly to his quary and realizes in fact it is a small stump. He walked back to the truck swearing up and down he thought it was a Grouse and he's never been fooled like that in his life.

Back in camp. Brian and Dave have fun with Wally all night talking about Wallys Grouse. The next day they were out hunting again and Brian saw a rock on the side of the road that looked like a Grouse and said "Hey...look.. a Wally Grouse!".

Anyway. Since Brian told us that story. We always refer to any false sighting as a Wally Grouse or Wally Deer. Even a snag while fishing is called a Wally Fish. We have recipes for Wally Grouse stew etc...tough eatin'.

Who ever that Wally guy is. He is responsible for alot of laughs.

KB90
01-15-2010, 01:09 AM
haha good story. My dad has shot a rock (thinking it was a grouse), with the 4-10, pretty funny stuff.

I have a similar story...
My friends would go fishing with a buddy named mitch who would always, and I mean always have bites, or so he claimed, but never catch anything. Theres no way he was having as many bites as he claimed, so now whenever someone claims to have a bite and no fish, they say it musta been a "mitchfish."