PDA

View Full Version : Any one use a pack dog?

Husky7mm
01-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I like the idea of some extra help, company, and eyes. Any body hunt with a pack dog. Which type would be best for the job? Prefer one that doesnt look like a wolf.LOL

Devilbear
01-14-2010, 08:33 PM
I like the idea of some extra help, company, and eyes. Any body hunt with a pack dog. Which type would be best for the job? Prefer one that doesnt look like a wolf.LOL

I bought "Trojan's Diamond in the Ruff" last October, he is a 2.5 yr. old Rottweiler male, a very nice specimen, but, neutered as I have a Canadian Champion bitch who is still open and do NOT need puppies!

I just started working with him yesterday and he shows great promise, as he is stable, calm, obedient and VERY protective. I will get a "Ruffgear" pack for him in a few months and train him on a "long" to wear it and follow me. I am using a "pinch collar" for the first time in over 50 years of dogs and BOY, this is THE answer with big, tough male Rottweilers!

He will finish about 115-120 and I will have him pack 40 lbs. and maybe a bit more in moderate terrain. If, you like and can handle Rottweilers, they can do the job and NOBODY will mess with ya, believe me!

Everett
01-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I use Blue Heelers and just by chance have 7 pups for sale.:-D

Husky7mm
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
I here blue heelers are full of piss and vinagar. They seem a little small though, how much can they carry? Thanks develbear, I never though of a rotti for that job not a bad idea.

bruin
01-14-2010, 08:50 PM
I would love to start using a pack dog. I've got a 1.5 yr old male yellow lab that I would like to start but he's still young and he has very short hair for a lab and doesn't tolerate the cold well. Some of the common things I've heard is that husky's and similar breeds are best, crossbreds have the best feet, and they need to be obedient!

srupp
01-14-2010, 11:06 PM
When I guided with Betty she had wolf /akita /malamutes..BIG strong dogs that she ran sled with in the winter and packed with in the spring bear hunts and some fall mountain moose hunts.

Each dog carried a HEAVY pack and when staked at the tent corners no G bear dare come close..

srr

Husky7mm
01-14-2010, 11:08 PM
big strong dogs for sure. Not the best dog walking in the back country with out blaze orange though.

Everett
01-15-2010, 12:41 AM
I here blue heelers are full of piss and vinagar. They seem a little small though, how much can they carry? Thanks develbear, I never though of a rotti for that job not a bad idea.

Piss and vinegar has nothing on a male heeler. My Male is 35lb and can carry 20lb of meat is his bags my female is 40lb and can do 15lb. The best thing about heelers is they are small so they fit in the corner of a tent and don't cost you much on fly ins. There tough live longer than pretty much any breed and are scarey smart so you can teach them to do almost anything and they hate bears. Oh that and they have scarey stamina the only time I have seen my male worn out was in on a 40 mile mountain bike ride in the high Colorado desert in 80 degree heat but in his defense it was his fourth day in a row riding hard and he was only 8 months old. Go Heeler or go home:mrgreen:

Rod
01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
I would love to hear more about your heelers Everett, I have a male just over a year old, best friend good in the house and excellent trailing behind my horse.. he is my first one and I know very little about them.

Piss and vinegar has nothing on a male heeler. My Male is 35lb and can carry 20lb of meat is his bags my female is 40lb and can do 15lb. The best thing about heelers is they are small so they fit in the corner of a tent and don't cost you much on fly ins. There tough live longer than pretty much any breed and are scarey smart so you can teach them to do almost anything and they hate bears. Oh that and they have scarey stamina the only time I have seen my male worn out was in on a 40 mile mountain bike ride in the high Colorado desert in 80 degree heat but in his defense it was his fourth day in a row riding hard and he was only 8 months old. Go Heeler or go home:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
01-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Lab works fine and makes for good bear protection.

Devilbear
01-15-2010, 08:29 AM
My first black Lab, "Spot" was a well-known character on Kootenay Lake from '74 to his demise in '81 and he was a good bush dog, even on BCFS L/Os. He was, however, about the most aggressive male dog I have had and he HATED German Shepherds, even attacking a RCMP dog at the old Nelson offices of "the Queen's Cowboys".

However, one of the best "Rangers" I ever worked under, Cliff Jupp, of New Denver, told me about having a Grizzly attack his Lab when he was at Elko and the damm dog ran back to Cliff...and we never carried guns on the job back then..... The "brass" in Victoria banned having dogs in FS vehicles and with you on the job.....Buuuttttttttttt, well, "Spot" always seemed welcome, wherever he went.

I would also consider an Akita, IF, you can find a sound line free of hip and elbow problems. If, I still lived in rural BC, I would run a "pack train" of Rottweilers and/or Akitas and have a couple of Karelians to run free and keep bears away from the loaded pack dogs. Living here, the Rotts work REAL WELL at keeping the scumbags out of my yard and are relatively easy to maintain, strong beyond belief and versatile, so, that is what I am going with.

Everett
01-15-2010, 09:42 AM
I would love to hear more about your heelers Everett, I have a male just over a year old, best friend good in the house and excellent trailing behind my horse.. he is my first one and I know very little about them.

Well now you need a female to finish the set:mrgreen:
I will PM you with my PH# if you have any questions about the breed give me a ring. I din't know everything about them but I know some.

bruin
01-15-2010, 11:19 AM
How did the lab's feet hold up in the rocks??

My first black Lab, "Spot" was a well-known character on Kootenay Lake from '74 to his demise in '81 and he was a good bush dog, even on BCFS L/Os. He was, however, about the most aggressive male dog I have had and he HATED German Shepherds, even attacking a RCMP dog at the old Nelson offices of "the Queen's Cowboys".

However, one of the best "Rangers" I ever worked under, Cliff Jupp, of New Denver, told me about having a Grizzly attack his Lab when he was at Elko and the damm dog ran back to Cliff...and we never carried guns on the job back then..... The "brass" in Victoria banned having dogs in FS vehicles and with you on the job.....Buuuttttttttttt, well, "Spot" always seemed welcome, wherever he went.

I would also consider an Akita, IF, you can find a sound line free of hip and elbow problems. If, I still lived in rural BC, I would run a "pack train" of Rottweilers and/or Akitas and have a couple of Karelians to run free and keep bears away from the loaded pack dogs. Living here, the Rotts work REAL WELL at keeping the scumbags out of my yard and are relatively easy to maintain, strong beyond belief and versatile, so, that is what I am going with.

sawmill
01-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Well now you need a female to finish the set:mrgreen:
I will PM you with my PH# if you have any questions about the breed give me a ring. I din't know everything about them but I know some.I sure wish I hadn`t got my guy fixed,sherpard/heeler/rottie x.He looks like the littlest Hobo on steroids,big pointy ears,big shoulders and smart and dead loyal.A heeler all the way as far as attitude,same colour too.He is all heart,loves swimming and retrieving and will go till his heart explodes.We ran a lot of heelers on our cattle ranch,brilliant guys they were.But they need stuff to do or they get bored and fat..I love my boy Wiley!I`ll post a photo if I can figure it out.

dukester
01-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Look what the Northern people have used for years. Inuit sled dogs,and husky cross sled dogs are proven to be hearty and pack friendly, tough feet , have the endurence. If your dog looks wolfish get an orange pack for it. they are built, genetically bred for this type of work. ..No i don't own one but a good friend up in ft st john had 2 females that stayed close , packed there own food plus all dry goods.

spear
01-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Bit of Hijack but o well
Are your heelers blu or red Everett? We have a 5 month old blue, can't tire him out yet either. We were told only to let him carry 20% of his weight, that being said its frightening how tough he is.
He'll be starting blood tracking with me soon, and Im plan on using him to pack when he's a bit older.

GoatGuy
01-15-2010, 01:54 PM
How did the lab's feet hold up in the rocks??

Never had any problems, used to bring her goat hunting all the time. Like everything else they need to be conditioned before you go.

GoatGuy
01-15-2010, 01:57 PM

My dog's chased plenty of grizz and black bears more times than I'll ever remember. She's even been chased and didn't come at me, just did circles in front of me while I unloaded on the bear. Seen bears bay up and she just bounces around barking away until she's called off.

twanger
01-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Another vote for the Heelers. I am on my second one now, first one was a Heeler Shepard Coyote X toughest little B*****D I have ever seen, hated bears, lived to be 17. I now have one of Everett's dog's, and I must say he is a very inteligent and tough as nails. I too want to start packing him, so what are you guys using for packs and where are you buying them. Maybe us Heeler boy's need to start a thread with our dogs. :mrgreen: would like to see some more pic's.

Wes 5mnth old.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PB101152.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17229&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1707)

Everett
01-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Bit of Hijack but o well
Are your heelers blu or red Everett? We have a 5 month old blue, can't tire him out yet either. We were told only to let him carry 20% of his weight, that being said its frightening how tough he is.
He'll be starting blood tracking with me soon, and Im plan on using him to pack when he's a bit older.

The male is a red the female is a blue. 20% is a good place to start I normaly do not overload them unless I have to. When they are full grown they should be able to carry close to half there body weight. I got my dog packs through Valhalla Pure in Courtenay.

Bear-ly_There
01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
What packs would you recommend? Can the Ruffwear bags carry a heavy weight? It seems they are more for packing their own food and supplies then for packing out meat.

I have a 115 pound Male Akita.. and I am looking for something for him as he is great to take along with me..

I definitly recommend Akita's if you are looking for a loyal, smart and strong pack dog... lol not so much for retrieving!

Everett
01-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I know one set is Granite gear can't remember what the other set is.

Kody94
01-15-2010, 04:04 PM
I have used a pack dog extensively. Nothing wrong with labs for packing....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Backpacking/redtail2a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Backpacking/redtail3a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Backpacking/1999_10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Backpacking/wigwam1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Kody/redtail4a.jpg

bighornbob
01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I have a set made by Wilderness Wanderer (Kamloops) and they look way more rugged then the Ruffwear stuff.

BHB

twanger
01-15-2010, 04:56 PM
SSSter love the pic's especially the last one, that is one tired lab.
Did not know Wanderer here in the loops made dog packs, will have to look into.

Moose Guide
01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I haven't used pack dogs but I do have a dog pack(not sure what brand) but it is way to big for my heeler, I have seen pictures of a black Lab with both back legs of a sheep on his back and I've heard a big dog can carry 50 lbs!!! Good luck on finding a good dog!

twanger
01-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Bighornbob are you pleased with the wander packs, they look and sound good in the add?

http://thewildernesswanderer.com/index.htm

brock77
01-16-2010, 09:55 AM
uh we were just having this conversation last night over some beers, might be getting a golden lab, would love to take her out hunting with me when she is older (ready to leave mommy in a few weeks), but how do you get them to not bark at other game and still be a good bear alert,

happyhunter
01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I have used a pack dog extensively. Nothing wrong with labs for packing....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Backpacking/redtail2a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Backpacking/redtail3a.jpg

Great pics! Nice lab! Sure wish i hadnt let my lab get so chunky. But he screws around a lot when were out in the bush, he'd be the one getting ahead sniffin and pissing on everything in sight and just being noisey in general. And if I left him at the truck for a bit to check something out he would leap outa the truck box and come up behind me his tail just a waggin' But hes a good boy nevertheless, he'll sit still in a fishing boat and hes a great family dog.

luckynuts
01-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I use Blue Heelers and just by chance have 7 pups for sale.:-D

My good friend has and uses blue heeler x's. All 3 dogs have been good for him. Though they don't pack anything they eat what they catch ie squirrel etc. He carries a first aid kit for him/her his last one is 16 yrs old and now retired. He has a K-bear dog right now though not working out too good. Lots of work goes into a dog you can take with you into the mountains especially the reliable ones :wink:.

wrenchhead
01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
my old man used to have pack for his lab, not sure of the make but it was nylon type material and saddle bag style. she would carry her own food and couple other little things probably not even 10 pounds. haha a saw her get wedged between two trees with it on chasing a squirrel once!

Nooker77
01-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Pat Dueling is a great guide and uses labs to pack!! His dog made the cover a few years ago in one of the big sheep hunting mags!! Great pic with a monster head on the back of his dog!! He swears by them....pack upto 40lbs!! Havent talked to him in years as he lives in Alberts these day I believe!! Great at letting you know about bears BUT I have heard labs will RUN back to you once they get there but kicked a little!! lol!!

RustyRipper
01-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I met a man near fsj who has two greater swiss mountain dogs, (I believe their names were bonny and clyde) which were awesome dogs. For anyone who don't know what they are, they look like a short haired st. bernard. very docile dogs that would eat a big chunk of deer meet hanging from the roof of his garage and then come and put their head in your lap to be pet. anyway he had custom made rawhide packs for them and they packed their own food as well as extra gear for him and they go on hunting expeditions often, just the three of them. he said they were great for it. Since meeting them I have always wanted to have a dog to pack for me and just as a hunting companion. after reading all the info from here about blue heelers I have taken an interest in them. I think I would like them but perhaps crossed with something a little less hyper, as I wouldn't have the time to be out every day which I have heard they require. Either way I think I would really enjoy having a hunting dog to go on extended trips with, as I am somewhat reluctant to do so on my own, it would be nice to have the companionship and the extra ears eyes and nose.

Everett
01-17-2010, 11:46 PM
A couple of future pack dogs only 18 days old and already planning a sheep hunt:-D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/4_left_and_3_right_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17801&ppuser=892)

LOC
01-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know a good store in the LML that sells packs? I had a cheap one for my guy to carry his food in, but it didn't last a year. It wasn't a big deal before for me to carry it for him, but now that we'll have our daughter to carry for as well, I'd like to get him back to carrying his own gear (and maybe plus some).

I'd like to be able to try them on him before I buy.

wayneec
01-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi i just bought a st. bernard and he is 6 months old and is very smart had him hunting in the truck since we got him never has went to the bathroom in the truck from day one he loves the snow and never barked if we seen a deer or a cows since everyone knows how much cattle we see when we are hunting he weighs 100lbs at 6months old the father was 200lbs so i think he could drag my moose out next year lol just a thought :-D

twanger
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
A couple of future pack dogs only 18 days old and already planning a sheep hunt:-D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/4_left_and_3_right_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17801&ppuser=892)
Looks like you might get some of dads (Bushmills) coloring this time:mrgreen:

monsterram
01-23-2010, 02:08 AM
I have a huskey akita cross that I use for packing, he's about 90lbs can carry 30+ lbs. works really good in the mountains for sheep. wouldn't do it any other way!

moose2
01-23-2010, 03:07 AM
My hound has been hunting with me since she was a pup. I trained her to stay behind me with hand signals to be a bit more quiet , she is pretty good most of the time but hounds are challenging to control in the bush. She is very good at packing over rough country and will cross rivers on logs if needed. She packs her food and other items she is 70 lbs I put about 12 to 15 lbs on her. I use an explorer 2 pack by wenaha it seems to fit her well and she dosn't try to shake it. The padding is good but may be a bit hot for longer haired dogs. She is a spoiled indoor dog "big pillow and blanket". This poses a problem a night when she thinks a two man pack tent should mean 2 men and a hound. A few uncomfotable nights for me with a hound inside a mummy bag. My buddies lab sleeps outside this is way better. I would recommend letting your dog learn to sleep outside before heading into the mountains. Other than that a dog can be a great hunting partner if you have the time to train them , mabey in the off season so they don't blow a stalk for you. I use my hound all the time but would probaly not get another one for this purpose, there are better breeds for this. All though she is really quiet ,she will light up if I hollar "BEAR" we trained her to do that over treats. My buddies lab/newfie cross does really well in all the areas.
Mike http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/sheep_hunt_014.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17698&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=13763)