PDA

View Full Version : Thats it for sheep

gibblewabble
01-14-2010, 10:38 AM
After reading all the posts I could find last night on sheep hunting, and kicking around the idea with my uncle for 2-3 years I have made the decision that I am going for sheep this year. Reading some of the stories and seeing the pics sure got me hot to get out there.

I have done some alpine muley hunts and lots of hiking when I lived on the coast and its time to combine my 2 favorite sports. I am going to pick up a 25-06 for the job (that really sucks:mrgreen:) and thankfully I have most of what I need for the trip as far as hiking gear goes.

Its time to join the ranks of sheep stalkers, I hope to see some of you out there. Thanks for all the great stories and valuable info.

"skma"
01-14-2010, 10:39 AM
good luck on ur upcommin hunt

325 wsm
01-14-2010, 10:41 AM
If you don,t post pictures of your ram from next year your in deep caca.

Bowtime
01-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Its time to join the ranks of sheep stalkers, I hope to see some of you out there. Thanks for all the great stories and valuable info.

You've got some time to plan for this hunt, Can't say I hope to see you out there. I plan on seeing no one where i'm heading:-D

gibblewabble
01-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Well actually I hope to only see my uncle as well, it is one of the appealing aspects of sheep hunting......solitude. Luckily he has hunted sheep and goats before but my grandfather is too old(85) to get up there anymore and my father(his hunting buddy) passed away 26 years ago, so he hasnt gone out for along time. It will be a hunt of a lifetime thats for sure.

Caribou_lou
01-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I am also planning on taking a ram this year. Already booked time off. Good luck to ya. Good pair of boots and lots of summer hikes to prepare!

gibblewabble
01-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I have been getting in shape for 8 months already due to some medical issues discovered last year which has led me to start doing the things I have always wanted to do but figured I would have time later. Now I know that you need to knock things off the list because you never know if you will get to it, anyways how can you add more to the list of things to do if you dont scatch a couple off of it. I dropped 35lbs last year and I am going to pull out the ice climbing pack and start going for walks with it loaded to condition myself. The boots I have already and are well broken in.

blackbart
01-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Best o luck to you and your Uncle.

Don't forget to take it easy on the hiking once you are in sheep country and spend your time glassing. Park your ass and get out the glass.

MichaelB
01-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Wow, you are preparing well! Good luck with everything. And your welcome for providing you with great sheep information!:mrgreen: Although I've never contributed, I did have a beautiful sheep picture on my avatar last year.

I also plan on making this year a great year for sheep. If no LEH draws happen, I'll be heading to the open areas and putting miles on these legs. Last year I did some serious hiking for goats and am still hiking as of last weekend. Always best to not GET in shape for hunting but to KEEP in shape always. As important as hunting is, it pales in comparison to how important you are to your family.

Good luck and you are forced to post pictures of your hunt now....sheep down or not:wink:.

MB

srupp
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
good luck! and dont worry about posting pictures...everyone here is so very understanding when the photos are a couple days..weeks late...

OOOOOPSY

sr

01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Sheep hunting is an experience unto itself. Your going to have a blast whether you get something or not. Godd luck to you.

Just don't come back and tell us you got a bruiser, took some pics, and left the camera in the bush.:-D

Mik
01-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Good luck in your quest. Sounds like you are already in shape. Did u decipher any GPS Co-Ordinates from any of the posts????

bridger
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
congrats on making the decision. a word of warning though once you go be prepared to be consumed by sheep fever for the rest of your life. The good side is that it is a wonderful fever. good luck

goatdancer
01-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Talked to a couple of sheep hunters in the EKoots about 20 years ago and they told us sheep hunting is not a passion - it's an obsession. I do believe it's true. Probably one of the best obsessions to have.

bruin
01-14-2010, 05:55 PM
You realize that this is like deciding to start smoking!! Or becoming an alcoholic. Actually its probably more like picking up a drug habit, because it costs the same.
Good luck!

gibblewabble
01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
You realize that this is like deciding to start smoking!! Or becoming an alcoholic. Actually its probably more like picking up a drug habit, because it costs the same.
Good luck!
Well I am an addictive type of person so.........I guess this is better than picking up a heroine habit, at least I wont be breaking into cars for stereos:???:. Now I just have to balance it with my whitetail habit, muley habit and the elk habit I decided to form this year as well. Now I am just going to figure out how to retire within the next 6 months.

boxhitch
01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
atta go Gib
Check out the Wild Sheep Society of BC website for some good info, a
and then, to help get really stoked, take in the Convention in Kamloops. Nothing like being totally immersed , along with a couple hundred other fanatics.

riflebuilder
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Good luck it will be a great experince even if you do not kill a ram. A terrible day sheep hunting is still a great day. Those northern Mountains are addictive