PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer?

youngfellla
02-15-2006, 10:40 PM
What do you guys like, spot & stalk hunting, stand/still hunting, or thick brush 'scare em out & shoot em' hunting? I like making a stalk, it can be very challenging and very intense. I also like a good chase through the thick stuff, a lot of mule deer & elk hunting around here is in some pretty thick stuff. Which is where the Marlin guide gun comes in...:mrgreen:

Gus
02-15-2006, 10:48 PM
My favourite is a toss up between spot and stalk and still or stand. Its hard to beat the adrenline rush u get when your crawling up on a big game animal when all thats goin through your mind is"dont screw up now, dont screw up now". The only thing thing that might beat that is how fast things tend to be when your still hunting. My experience is that when your still hunting it usaully goes from nothing but a nature hike to all hell breaking loose in a half a second. I also love being in a stand and having a bull elk or moose be coming in bugling or grunting his way in and you just gotto sit, listen to him and wait for the shot.

Barracuda
02-15-2006, 11:05 PM
hounds , calling and spot and stalk are my most enjoyable ways of hunting

Gateholio
02-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Spot and Stalk

Ther eis nothign like spotting something and then 1 to 6 hours of anticipation...:wink:

cowboy-up69
02-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Ahhh haha, I dont like the spot and stalk too much, I get too pumped up and managed to screw it up somehow :S hahaha...But its still fun though

Johnnybear
02-15-2006, 11:11 PM
I prefer the thick timber stuff and creek bottoms. Sometimes I'll set up a stand near a good area around a small pond or bog and do the sittin there lookin stupid thing. Either way a really enjoy the challenge of gettin close in and personal not the long range shots.

Ltbullken
02-15-2006, 11:21 PM
I like spot and stalk the most. Scaring them out of the bush is okay too but preferable is still hunting and walking up on 'em. I'll take stand hunting if the company is good and there's plenty o' beer. :razz: Best of all though is pluggin' 'em while driving along a deserted road, 10 feet off the easement, down hill drag into the back of the pick up, back for a beer and burger before noon! 8) Can't beat that! However... I will never hunt with Dick Cheney! :mad:

Barracuda
02-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Spot and Stalk

Ther eis nothign like spotting something and then 1 to 6 hours of anticipation...:wink:

sound like when i was dateing :mrgreen:

bigwhiteys
02-15-2006, 11:55 PM
My favorite type of hunting would have to be spot & stalk hunting in the mountains. It's challenging.

I like the adrenaline rush when you stalk up on an animal and you have the time to mentally prepare what is about to happen. I like a good camp out too when you're onto a big buck and you are trying to be there when he makes his mistake. The waiting game is fun.

My whitey this year was right in the middle of the field quite a ways out and there was absolutely no cover save some very low spots in the field. I crept on my hands and knees stopping every time the buck would look at me and just staying absolutely still. The buck would pin me for a few minutes and then back down to eating and I'd start moving again I got within 200 yards and into a very shallow dip, (the buck could see my upper body)

Slowly took my coat off, bunched it up, laid my rifle down, centered on my target, took a deep breath and started to exhale and BOOM I plugged him hard with the 7MM and off he went. He ran dead for about 30 yards and that was it.

The adrenaline rush was awesome!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

BlacktailStalker
02-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Tough one. Still hunting in the thick stuff is fun, you kind of get in tune with your surroundings, paying attention to detail and the things you'd miss at a normal pace. Spot and stalk is fun because you get to plot out your attack and try and fore see anything that may screw it up before it happens, very challenging. Sitting in a tree stand has its perks too, for one you have to analyze and study your quarry and habits and routes to situate yourself in a productive area, its relaxing, lots of time to think and there's nothing like watching animals in their natural state unaware of your presence, deer feeding directly below, a bear rubbing his ass on his marker tree or an owl landing 4 feet away etc. Every method has its advantage depending on the time or conditions you choose to hunt !

Ddog
02-16-2006, 02:23 AM
spot and stalk can be very exciting aswell as sitting in the treestand, since i am a bowhunter i really dont seem to get an adrenaline rush until around the 50 yard mark, if i see an animal way out and start the stalk 200 yards means nothing nor does 100. the worst is just about in range and he leaves. I often snicker at animals when they walk away from when i am well within 100 yards and think if they only knew what almost happened! i have passed on alot of real large animals at 40 yards to.
but i do love the treestand when you can see them coming for a long time and then the perfect shot comes together.

CanuckShooter
02-16-2006, 06:05 AM
A ground blind or tree stand is my preference, especially when there are other hunters walking/riding around. You would be amazed at how many animals will show themselves just after a pickup or quad has made a pass thru a cut your staked out on. Stalking elk in thick alder is a real adrenaline rush..especially when a grizz bear decides to hunt the same bull your slipping in on!!

Elkhound
02-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Spot and Stalk, sometimes it's even stalk and spot. I also like to be lazy and get to slash before light and sit there til noon or longer, just to see what comes and goes

johnes50
02-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I like to walk and stop and look and listen on washed out roads and game trails. I stop everytime I come around a corner or get a good view of a hillside or slash. If I come to a slash I like to settle down for awhile and watch. Kinda of neat when a big black stump starts moving and you realize it's a bear or when you see a deer that has been watching you for 5 minutes.

Mr. Dean
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I like the scouting part of a hunt. Then I'll let Mother Nature dictate the type of hunt from there.

Offroad
02-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Spot and stalk or still hunting, actually I do what works in the situation. But my preference are the afore mentioned methods.

Onesock
02-16-2006, 04:05 PM
I Like Ride Around On My Quad With A Loaded Gun, No Helmet Drinkin Beer And Shoot Them Off The Handle Bars Of The Quad. Now Thats Real Huntin.

Jagermeister
02-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Stand hunting and calling preferred, but that quad thing appeals to me too.

Ronforca
02-16-2006, 04:49 PM
I like to just walk slowly and very quietly through the woods stopping and looking anound every few feet.It has proven to be very successful for me so if it aint broke dont mess with it.

johnes50
02-16-2006, 06:23 PM
I Like Ride Around On My Quad With A Loaded Gun, No Helmet Drinkin Beer And Shoot Them Off The Handle Bars Of The Quad. Now Thats Real Huntin.
Right On!!! Doesn't everybody? LOL

livingston
02-16-2006, 08:11 PM
still hunting is my favorite for blacktails, its great when you can beat a animal at his game and catch them bedded down and get your shot and he never knows your there. it can be frustrating when you all you see is flash of horn and rump when they see you and your beaten . Moose hunting we get out on the lakes in the canoe before the sun comes up or in the evening and been succesful even got a deer, a nice 3x3 muley getting a drink.For muleys spot and stalk was the way to go lots of slash and timber to thick to still hunt.

000buck
02-16-2006, 08:49 PM
riding the quad on the slash roads seems to be where its at here, the little beggers are so dialed in to their surroundings anything other than vehicle noise seems to send them blacktailing into the boonies before you even know they were there, the quad however seems to get them to raise their pointed little heads and turn to look at you,

MOVEMENT IS CERTAIN BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. MEAT...

PGKris
02-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Stand hunting: 2 hours of sheer boredom followed by 30 seconds of pure adrenaline.

elkster
02-16-2006, 09:47 PM
spot and stalk, road hunting, still hunting, I like them all. It depends where I'm hunting as to what method I use. Actually the one I like best is sit in camp, and shoot one out of my lawn chair. Didn't happen to me, but my partner got a nice bull moose that way. I really prefer spot and stalk.

Offroad
02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm converted I'm going to go get a quad now.

NEEHAMA
02-17-2006, 04:49 PM
road hunting all the way! nothing better in my books!

brotherjack
02-17-2006, 05:31 PM
I like the 'sit and wait' approach. I see way more critters (at closer range) that way than I ever have stalking, walking, or running around in a truck.
Find any old nice game trail with lots of fresh sign, and setup downwind in my nice comfy reclining folding chair - then wait for antlers to show up. Werks for me (unless it's sunny and warm, in which case I can take a nice nap in the bush).

NEEHAMA
02-17-2006, 05:43 PM
i also have a folding chair with a back on it. i've racked up many hours sleeping in it while deer hunting. i wish they would make a "super chair" though. you know like an all- in-one job. back-pack ,folding recliner, and removable velcro center for porta pottie comfort. :)

bsa30-06
02-17-2006, 05:50 PM
I have a camo backpack that folds into a chair that i use alot if i want to sit and watch an area.