PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a 2man tent, sheep and backcountry boys, which one?

snareman1234
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I want to get a good 2man tent I can use on backpack trips, and camping.

I want a 4seasons tent, I want to use it mostly for mulies and maybe a sheep hunt in the future

I remember reasding about a tent that brambles recomended after his got trampled by the grizz, but the thread is 44 pages long and I got tired of reading,

So whats the experience you guys have had with a tent?

Kody94
01-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Do you have a budget that you'd like to stay under?

Dirty
01-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Look on here, there are tons of threads about tents. You need to lay in it before buying. You also want to consider the conditions you want to use it in. You live at the coast, and it gets damp. You want to look at the venting available, number of vestibules, number of entrances, etc. I went with a MSR Hubba Hubba HP. It doesn't have mesh uppers, has two entrances, and two vestibules. As mentioned in other threads, sometimes the mesh uppers tent to let in wind and moisture. In addition, you want to try setting up the tent to ensure it is easily assembled.

snareman1234
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
not really, I want a good tent that I can have and use for awhile
but say, under 500?

PGK
01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
MEC Tarn II. Cheap, bombproof, relatively lightweight.

snareman1234
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I agree Dirty
I dont plan on just buying it off the internet,
but I just thought some of these guys live out of their tents and might have some valuable info
That I wouldnt have to learn the hard way!

Devilbear
01-13-2010, 09:53 PM
That is your best option in your price range as MEC has a ROCK SOLID warrantee system and if you are a beginner, you want to find out what YOU like and dislike in tents. I would rather buy an MEC tent than most of the "name" tents in that price range for the returns policy alone.

If, you REALLY get into it, there are Hilleberg and Integral Designs tents and these are THE ones to have, but, they are, well, you need a sympathetic wife and a blind banker!

Seriously, for two guys who are into alpine hunting, an Integral Designs MKIII in Olive plus a vestibule, footprint and a SiltarpIII will give you a simply outstanding camp. I would choose the Hilleberg Jannu and XL20 tarp plus footprint for the same purposes. I base this on owning and using a number of tents, etc. by both these makers and lots of others over many years.

As Dirty pointed out, MSR makes FINE tents and are always a good choice.

Everett
01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
I am a fan of siera design affordable and good quality. Mind you I spent over 500 nights in my old eureka before I sold it to a buddy and believe it our not we are still friends:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
01-13-2010, 10:01 PM
If you want a solid 4 season tent (not the same as a 3 season) look at the north face mountain 25. Its bomb proof. I've had it in 70mph+ winds and monsoon rains without a leak or it collapsing (unlike my friend, right mwj !? :lol:)
4 season tent flys have a bit of weight to them. I wouldnt get a mesh walled tent if you want a durable one (plus they rot easy)
BTW You dont need to pack the weight of a footprint if you have a good tent unless you'll be camping on rock (punctures)

If you dont necessarily want new I was thinking of selling mine to try out a Hilleberg.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3657289

bruin
01-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Vestibules, vestibules, vestibules!

Dirty
01-13-2010, 10:10 PM
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Tents/Fast-And-Light-Tents/Hubba-Hubba-HP/product

That is the one you want.

frenchbar
01-13-2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Tents/Fast-And-Light-Tents/Hubba-Hubba-HP/product

That is the one you want.
whats that worth dirty ?

whitetailsheds
01-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Tried Hilleburg for the first time last year....awesome tent.....

snareman1234
01-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Seems like some are a "hoop" type shape with the poles all running like ribs,
and some are more like a traditional tent and the poles cross eachother at the top, guessing the hoop is not overly stroung

Dirty
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
whats that worth dirty ?

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp?bmForm=mec_quick_search&bmFormID=1263446943636&bmUID=1263446943636&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2FMain%2Fhome.jsp&bmText=quick_search&quick_search=hubba+hubba+hp&bmSubmit=search&search=Search&amSearchField=hubba+hubba+hp&bmHidden=Ntk&Ntk=productsearch_en_rankonly

I paid less though, they were cheaper before. I think I paid 390ish? The MSRP was 429 last year at MEC and similar dealers.

BearStump
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I want to get a good 2man tent I can use on backpack trips, and camping.

I want a 4seasons tent, I want to use it mostly for mulies and maybe a sheep hunt in the future

I remember reasding about a tent that brambles recomended after his got trampled by the grizz, but the thread is 44 pages long and I got tired of reading,

So whats the experience you guys have had with a tent?
Pretty sure the one Brambles was using was a sierra designs. But it was'nt grizzly proof!:wink:

Maxx
01-13-2010, 10:36 PM

thats good advice!

snareman1234
01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
whats the advantage to the vestibules?

KodiakHntr
01-13-2010, 11:17 PM
You don't have your pack and boots taking up space in the tent, but they are not in the rain....

yukon john
01-14-2010, 12:54 AM

x2 and a outer shell that goes right to the ground, cant stress vestibules enough

yukon john
01-14-2010, 12:55 AM
whats the advantage to the vestibules?
then you can actually get 2 guys in a 2 man tent packs and boots outside but still dry

Devilbear
01-14-2010, 06:38 AM
I never keep my pack or it's contents inside my tent and it and my gear are always kept dry, usually hung in a tree of placed on a rock cairn I build for that purpose. I tend to own very costly gear as it is usually, not always, the most functional and I do not want mice attracted to any foods, etc, inside my pack chewing my tent to get at it. Then, there are bears......

I will build a tripod of branches, a cairn or whatever to suspend my pack and keep ONLY my clothing and sleeping gear in my tent. I also prefer to set up my tent away from where I cook, but, that is not always possible.

One of the posters mentioned not using a footprint for your tent except in rocky conditions. Well, I must disagree as a foot print used as I do is a very worthwhile bit of weight to carry and often more so than a cooking tarp.

I customize a lot of my gear and/or get to know gear makers personally and have them build me gear to my specs., as I am currently doing with some sleeping pads.I like to take my footprint, attach thin sections of EVA foam to it with tiny self-adhesive Velcro pads sold in Home Depot and in such a manner that this will fold into a 18" x 24" flat bundle that will ride on the outside of my pack.

You will be surprised by how much more comfort from the hard surface of "Mother Earth" this will give you and the benefits in terms of retained tent heating are considerable, plus it protects the floor of an expensive mountain tent and costs far less than sending your Hille. back to Sweden for a new floor.......

I would advise, that, if you KNOW you are seriously committed to alpine activities and in all seasons of the year and have some time left in life to do this, then buy either an ID or Hilleberg tent and look after it. The utility and ease of use plus top performance in all conditions over many years wll make this pay off. I won't use anything else and am going to sell a couple more guns I never even look at and haven't for years and buy a Hilleberg Jannu to mate with my Soulo and Saivo as nothing impresses me like these.

snareman1234
01-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Great, thanks so much guys! great to hear about it from some guys with experience using them thanks again for all the info!

I'll have to post a thankyou pic of the tent and the 4x5 next year!!

luckynuts
01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Great info Devilbear,

Like a few have said vestibules are important and I can't stress enough about 2 doors with 2 vestibules. When you and partner get up in the morning it's nice to have your own space. Again if your serious get a 4 season you won't regret it especially when unexpected nasty windy weather hits:wink:

i too am in the market for a new one and have yet to decide:???: save up for another year or two and get a Hilleberg or equal or cheap out and soon regret it:-D

good luck with your decision

Caribou_lou
01-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I'd suggest Mountain Hardware myself. Warranty is great.

RustyRipper
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm surprised that so many people on here buy stuff from mec and actually recommend mec products. I wouldn't spend a dime there, you're basically fuelling the fire against yourselves. Kind of Ironic really. they are completely anti-hunting and have been open about it. anyway back to tents. I got a marmot earlylight last year (which is a 3 season but they make a version very similar in 4 season) and the design is awesome. two door and two vestibules which with two people is essential in comfortable living. also it has two windows which is nice when you're stormed in and so you don't go crazy with no light and not being able to see outside. got stormed in last season in the alpine, blew a gale and rained cats and dogs for two days, only hunted a couple hours a day and spent the rest of the time sitting in the tent playing cards. it has plenty of room and only weighs 5 lbs with footprint. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PA151677.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17676&limit=recent)

swampthing
03-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Two doors and two vestibles for sure. Makes a small tent much bigger. My prostate doesnt sleep all night so not having to crawl over someone is nice. I have a Eureka 2 XPG. Not a big quality name but was $170 bucks and I prbably have 3 years and 20 nights in it with no problems.