PDA

View Full Version : Outfitter spike camps

Kootenai
01-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Here is a couple of questions for opinions. Is it ethical to use an outfitters spike camp that is set up on crown land, if the outfitter / guide is no where around and not using it at the time.

For the Outfitters. If you are not using your spike camp, do you object to other hunters using it? I am not talking about cabins or tents you have left set up. I am talking about a tent platform, tables, outhouse, meat poles, those kind of things.

The obvious are anyone using a spike camp would vacate it if the guide / outfitter showed up with the intent of using it, and when leaving, the camp is in better shape than when you showed up.

Does the outfitter 'own' the spike camp? And can he 'LEGALLY' claim it as a private camp that is set up on crown land?

boxhitch
01-13-2010, 09:32 PM
If it is not a permanent structure, there is no title or permits.
G/o's and trappers own their buildings and have permits and fees attached.

A bunch of tent poles , a latrine, or a table left in the woods are just trash not cleaned up by someone.

The right thing to do would be to use it while you need, and clean up when done by burn or bury .
Lets clean up the woods.

leadpillproductions
01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
ive used them a few times , we dont use there wood, gas wood struckers but we use the spot if they come we would gladly move on , just respect .

Amphibious
01-13-2010, 09:40 PM
if someone uses ours I just expect them to leave it as they found it, and that includes replacing the firewood they left. we leave emergency supplies in the camp when not in use in case a wayward hunter requires it.

I would also prefer them not to be there when we need it though. as for who "owns" it.... it's not about ownership, it's about not being a dick ;)

Triggerman
01-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Truer words have rarely been spoken Amphib.

bruin
01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Most of the outfitters that I have worked for would agree with Amphib.

Everett
01-13-2010, 10:14 PM
If its a campsite on crown land then its first come first serve regardless of what improvements have been made. If its a crown lease don't camp there without the lease holders permission pretty simple.

pete_k
01-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I have a main deer camp (meatpole, firepit, wood, grill). It's been occupied twice when I was going to use it and probably many more when I was not hunting. I just drive by and if someone is in there I won't even bother saying hi. Just a wave as I normaly would.

The camp is always clean and in good condition except for once, when I had to haul home 2 burned lawn chairs and a bunch of broken glass and tin cans.

Takes little effort to find a new spot anyway.

It's crown land. I'm sure the people who camped at "my" spot had no idea if it belonged to a GO or a Joe Hunter. I'm not going to ask anyone to leave. First come first serve.

boxhitch
01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Actually I agree with you guys, use it and leave it better than found

My first post was to try and rile a member here, who had 'his' camp spot cleaned up by MOF as some employees don't agree that these spots are actually benefiting the outdoors by localizing use. The MOF went through some effort to remove all signs of the camp . Didn't help much as the wood and tent poles were just replenished.

But I wish more folks would learn to build a simple latreen, instead of spreading shitpaper everywhere. Glad it is all white, easier to avoid.

jml11
01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
This is an existing camp we used on a sheep hunt. All that was there were the logs tied to trees for sitting on, the fir pit and a tarp stashed up in one of the trees. I don't know if this was an outfitter spike camp (main lodge located <10km away) or just something made by other residents (lots go in there). There were no hitching posts or logs tied between trees (higher off ground than the seats) for storing tack so my thoughts are the latter. Either way we left it clean and even left a pot for the next user as it just didn't fit back in the packs for some reason :mrgreen:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P9070047-1.jpg

bridger
01-13-2010, 11:53 PM
outfitters can tenure campsites that are off limits to anyone. if you see a cabin with corrals etc it is usually tenured which means you cannot use the cabin. the outfitter pays i believ a $1000 annual fee per tenured campsite. spike camps are primariy first come first serve just like a government campsite along the highway. matter of courtesy to everyone to keep it clean and replace the firewood. build a latrine and cover it when you leave. don't burn the tent poles for firewood cut your own leave meat poles, saddle racks, etc as you found them.

GoatGuy
01-14-2010, 12:02 AM
But I wish more folks would learn to build a simple latreen, instead of spreading shitpaper everywhere. Glad it is all white, easier to avoid.

Prefer the camouflage stuff, use moss instead. Like to share.

yukon john
01-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Never bothered me when guys use our camps only problem is when I show up expecting a pile of firewood that I cut in july and its all gone and the fire ring is huge. At the end of a long trail on a wet day that will drive a man to drink!

mark
01-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Ive never had a problem with respecting an outfitters camp spot, or cabins...but if they succeed in restricting my hunting opportunity, that may change!!!! :twisted:

Gateholio
01-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Trapper and outfitter cabins are pretty easy to identify as such. They have permits for those and it's thier cabins, so I don't use them, but I woudl in an emergency.

Spike camps don't have any ownership, and I've used a few. Not sure if they were built by outfitters or regular hunters, as nobody has ever shown up when I've been there.

If I was occupying a outfitter spike camp and the guide showed up, I'd tell them they could share the camp if they choose, but I wouldn't just pack up and leave on their say so. Who knows, you might meet some new friends.:-D

budismyhorse
01-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Great question!

but ahhh, what about "trails"?

and I mean horse trails that are maintained by the outfitter? Do outfitters actually have tenure or legal rights to prevent hunters from accessing areas using trails that THEY CUT?? Crown Land....in their guide territory.

probably a hijack of thread....sorry Kootenai.

Gateholio
01-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Great question!

but ahhh, what about "trails"?

and I mean horse trails that are maintained by the outfitter? Do outfitters actually have tenure or legal rights to prevent hunters from accessing areas using trails that THEY CUT?? Crown Land....in their guide territory.

probably a hijack of thread....sorry Kootenai.

It's a trial on crown land. Nobody has more rights to the trail than anyone else.

Devilbear
01-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I always avoid any other camps, except in certain parks, where sites are prepared and expected to be used. I do not want to encounter others and then have them possibly steal very costly camping gear from me whan I am off hunting and I have certain sites of my own, in the Kootenays, where nobody comes and I prefer this.

When I leave ANY camp, there may be footprints and tiretracks, but, there is NO other evidence of human use. Leaving a "dump" or bottles, cans, little propane cylinders and ripped plastic tarps, as I often haul out from camps is unacceptable and the sign of a real f**king a**hole!

I went hunting with a self-styled former "Kootenay guide" and "forestry tech." several years ago and he just left mounds of sh*t and TP visible in the bush around where we camped. I asked him to bury this, but, he scoffed at me and said, "the rain will take care of it"......I did not hunt with him, again.

Mik
01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
This is an existing camp we used on a sheep hunt. All that was there were the logs tied to trees for sitting on, the fir pit and a tarp stashed up in one of the trees. I don't know if this was an outfitter spike camp (main lodge located <10km away) or just something made by other residents (lots go in there). There were no hitching posts or logs tied between trees (higher off ground than the seats) for storing tack so my thoughts are the latter. Either way we left it clean and even left a pot for the next user as it just didn't fit back in the packs for some reason :mrgreen:

I would like to go up to this camp spot and clean up as well. Can you send me the co-ordinates....?

As for spike camps, I have no problems using them. Its all open country!

riflebuilder
01-15-2010, 02:47 PM

Well if you didn't stuff your packs with those nice rams you could of taken out the pot.

I would agree that if it is not abused I would not have a problem and if it was a registered spike camp I would respect that by not using it.