PDA

View Full Version : Live birds for training

Bird Dog
01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
I am training a new German Shorthair pup. I will need some live pigeons to start him on pointing, being steady to wing and shot. Does anyone know where I can purchase some birds in the lower mainland?

Ben Fougere
01-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't know about the lower mainland, but we have a lot of pigeons here in Quesnel. I'm sure someone could wrangle up a few for you.

Buck
01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Go to the Farm auction in Langley Saturdays between 9 am and 11 am.Be careful you don't pay to much they go for between 2 and 4 bucks each.Check the birds that they look to be in good health before using on the pup.Remember you do not want that dog to catch one.

LOC
01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Go to the Farm auction in Langley Saturdays between 9 am and 11 am.Be careful you don't pay to much they go for between 2 and 4 bucks each.Check the birds that they look to be in good health before using on the pup.Remember you do not want that dog to catch one.

x2 you can get chuckar and pheasant sometimes too. The bidding can get a little high sometimes so watch what you're bidding.

Swamp mule
01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey bird dog, Depending on where you live in the lower mainland. I would head down to the fraser valley auctions located near the langley airport on saturdays (early saturday morning to make the auction time) as there is always pigeons being auctioned off the last time that I always went there. Auction time is at 9:30am. Here is their website http://www.fraservalleyauction.com/

yukon john
01-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey bird dog, Depending on where you live in the lower mainland. I would head down to the fraser valley auctions located near the langley airport on saturdays (early saturday morning to make the auction time) as there is always pigeons being auctioned off the last time that I always went there. Auction time is at 9:30am. Here is their website http://www.fraservalleyauction.com/

great place, one more thing show up a little early so you can register and get a bidding paddle sometimes theres a line

kinderdoggin
01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Another way to get pigeons is to ask around in one of the farming areas - most farmers will let you take pigeons for free if you can catch them. Bopper has suggested this method many times but you would have to see it to believe how good it works - at night, you go into the barn or wherever they are roosting and shine a flashlight up at them, which causes them to freeze (think deer in the headlights) and then you just scoop 'em up in a net.
I learned this when a couple of our flock escaped. Note: catching them (live) in daylight is HARD so be patient and wait for darkness :)

Bird Dog
01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the help. Great suggestion. I will follow up and keep you posted on progress with the pup.