PDA

View Full Version : can natives take any spieces within thier own hunting grounds ?

bowhunterbruce
01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
i know that alot of people here dont agree with how much freedom our bc natives have when it comes to hunting for substance and i dont want this thread to become a negative bunch of comments.i'm wondering if natives are allowed to take animals within thier traditional territories that us as bc residents are only allowed to hunt under leh.
if an animal is under leh do all natives have to apply for leh's as well for those animals or is each and every band treaty different from others as to what they are allowed to hunt in order to put meat on the table
bruce

frenchbar
01-13-2010, 07:26 AM
yes they can..and will continue to do so.whos going to stop it ..no one! christ they put up road blocks to stop resident hunters from hunting in there so called territories and nothings done !!

Prowler
01-13-2010, 07:46 AM
yes they can..and will continue to do so.whos going to stop it ..no one! christ they put up road blocks to stop resident hunters from hunting in there so called territories and nothings done !!

here we go..... in a word NO... look it up.

bowhunterbruce
01-13-2010, 07:50 AM
where would one find it if i was to look it up

mrdoog
01-13-2010, 07:53 AM
GOOGLE is a wonderful new tool!

scallywag
01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I was told that the nanaimo band hands out tags for rosivelts

frenchbar
01-13-2010, 08:10 AM

like i said it will continue ..yes or no..without convictions...sad but true. The first nations people that live in this area i live are definatly not the type to be shooting sheep and goats and such for food .99 % of f/N i know hunt like you or i moose and deer are what they hunt by road and foot..always theres a few bad apples ..just like any other race..i wonder how many poaching white folk we have living amongst us..probably more than you would like to think..

hunter1947
01-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Aboriginals have a quot to take so many animals in one calinder year within there trib ,if one of them animals are on there land when they are taking there quot then they are allowed to take this animal..

brock77
01-13-2010, 08:18 AM
if you are native ( of indian status) you have to be on your traditional terriroty/or have permission from band leader (chief) to accses game from that reserve.
if they are leh, yes you have to apply for leh, one must follow the regulations, page 7 of bc hunting regs under (aboriginal hunting)

brock77
01-13-2010, 08:28 AM
if one does not live on the reserve and diside to go out and shoot somethingout of season, there dam well better be proof that he/she is in dire need for food (ie no money to buy nothing )and needs to support there family. and better not shoot or take down something with antlers like a big 6 spike or a huge white tail buck, im native (have indian status and dont use it) if some one did this i would be pisseed to say the least.

ratherbefishin
01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
FN are just like anybody else-probably the majority just want to live their own lives and raise their kids-and left to themselves did that.But just like anybody else they have some hot heads, opportunitistic people, lazy people ,selfish-and that gives the rest of them a bad name.I have known quite a few and you won't find more sharing people anywhere-if they think you need something they'll give you the shirt off their back.But the worst thing we ever did to them was bring in welfare-the challange they-and we face-is how do you undo it after you;ve made someone dependant?[and that goes for every race-and country-the UK has been battling the same thing for years with the ''dole'']

I've been reading some of the accounts of the early settlers in the Chilcotin-BEFORE easy road access to towns, welfare and residential schools-the FN tended to be self sufficient,built and maintained their own homes, raised some cattle, cut wild hay ,broke and sold horses, trapped-a pretty healthy lifestyle-and both FN and settlers lived side by side,generally got along and depended on each other-most of which ended with the introduction of welfare , booze and ready access to town and of course residential schools. Those who chose to continue trapping for a living were castigated for being ''crual''by the well organzied animal rights groups who lived in cities and far removed from a rural lifestyle.Having said all that-neither can we ,or they,turn the clock back.I find a lot of ignorance-and prejudice-on both sides.Communication and respect always goes a long way to getting along.You can only hate people you don't know-and that also goes for both sides

Fish and Game allots quotas and responsible bands work with them-the decimation of any species does nobody any good-but as usual-irresponsable and selfish individuals not only give their own people a bad name,and that too goes for both sides.My adopted FN son quit hunting when his uncle was convicted of shooting several cow elk just before calving and leaving the carcasses to rot-he simply didn't want anybody thinking he was was associated with that sort of irresponsable behavior

bad arrow
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM
No, natives can not shoot whatever they want in their territory, if there is a conservation issue then they are not supposed to be killing them ie: if a herd of elk have been recently transplanted then they can absolutley be charged. Further to the whole discussion if natives did go on a killing spree on certain species, their constitutionally right to hunt can be wiped out with a single stroke of a pen by parliment as "no aboriginal right to hunt is absolute".

betteroffishing
01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
No, natives can not shoot whatever they want in their territory, their constitutionally right to hunt can be wiped out with a single stroke of a pen by parliment as "no aboriginal right to hunt is absolute".

um , yeah , o.k.

BearStump
01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
did a little bit of looking into this last year. from what I've found out, the native in question would have to hunt "his, or her" bands traditional territory.(that doesnt necessarily mean their reserve). they must have permission from the band leader for the said species. as each band is alotted a quota. they dont need a licence, tag, and they dont have to abide by the GOS.
Don't take this as "law" but its what I know so far.

BearStump
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
No, natives can not shoot whatever they want in their territory, if there is a conservation issue then they are not supposed to be killing them ie: if a herd of elk have been recently transplanted then they can absolutley be charged. Further to the whole discussion if natives did go on a killing spree on certain species, their constitutionally right to hunt can be wiped out with a single stroke of a pen by parliment as "no aboriginal right to hunt is absolute".
Yah right. just like the transplanted heard of 14 I believe it was in the chwk river valley. 9 of them got taken out the following year by one native dude on the res. didnt hear of any charges or law changes.

bad arrow
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
um , yeah , o.k.
I would have expected better from you, its fact my friend, if there ever was a conservation concern then you would see what I'm saying is true, fact is there are no immediate concerns, dont take my word for it, check into it.

bad arrow
01-13-2010, 10:37 AM
No aboriginal right, even though constitutionally protected, is absolute in Canadian law. Fishing rights, for example, are not exclusive in the sense that only aboriginal peoples can exercise them and they are not immune to regulation by other governments. Aboriginal title, on the other hand, may give rise to an exclusive right to use and occupy lands, but that right may be interfered with for other societal purposes such as economic development or power generation. Infringement of aboriginal rights or title must be justified by non-aboriginal governments on the basis of a legitimate government purpose and recognition of the constitutional protection of the rights being affected. There may also be a requirement for prior consultation with the aboriginal peoples concerned and compensation in some circumstances.

Here you go, just because no gets charged does not mean its illegal, in a similiar way possession of marjuana is illegal too but people are rarely charged with small amounts. So the answer to the ? is still NO.

ratherbefishin
01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
what gives FN a bad name-and rightly so- is not treating the fish and game they kill under their''rights'' with respect,or simply doing it because they can.Selling game meant for subsistance is another cause of giving themselves a bad name.So is wiping out a number of moose or elk in a small area and leaving no breeding stock.But-that said-I have been in homes where there was a deer or a box of fish delivered to families or people who couldn't go out and get it for themselves,as some band members took it upon themselves to provide for their own.My position is if the resource is treated responsibly,then I have no issue with it.There should be enough to share,and if anything I wish FN would do more to promote fishing and hunting by providing cabins and services-it would do a lot to bring people together-and provide jobs and income for themselves[as the Innuit do in the polar hunt]

shadow1982
01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree with ratherbefishin.

There is plenty to go around just be smart about it,

ratherbefishin
01-13-2010, 02:05 PM
when I hear of these blockades,nothing good comes of it,and entrenched beliefs become even more entrenched.I am well aware of abuses by FN-people just doing things because they have the ''right'' to do it-just as European settlers ''might'' became ''right''but continuing it does no good to anybody.Doing a little reading on the early days and exploration of this country may provide some background on why people think and act the way they do....but equally,we have to move on if there is going to be any meaningful progress and quality of life
Some bands have exploited their natural resources by providing the infrastructure for hunting and fishing opportunities and to my way of thinking this is the way to go,hunters get access and local knowlege-they get jobs-everybody wins.Who knows-each side might learn something-see the others guys point of view and maybe even makes some friend.Way better than confrontation and blockades....the only guys profitting from that are the lawyers...

bforce750
01-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Yah right. just like the transplanted heard of 14 I believe it was in the chwk river valley. 9 of them got taken out the following year by one native dude on the res. didnt hear of any charges or law changes.
You are right Bill,they shot every single one of them No consquences:confused: :evil:

Jelvis
01-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I'll give you internet junkies something to look up and if you still can't get the idea, you did'nt pass 8th grade, lol. Look up on Google the following for clarification and then you should understand some things from court decisions, just two for now.... more later if wanted
1. Sparrow case is important
2. Willie Alphonse Jr. case out of sugar cane area was important.
Look these up and you can see the rights protected by court decisions. It's all there if you look it's not hard to comprehend, it's the law. Willy shot the deer in the ranchers field by his house. What? True.
All judges on the appeals court went for these guys so look em up, and I can give you dozens more if you still can't see the laws made.
Now if you still say no way should'nt be after these little cases. Then it's a personal feeling of yours and I can't help you there. I'll give you some huge ones.
Sparrow and Alphonse, who i talked to on a course in Kammy Wammy bing bong.
Jelly Court, .. appeal court rulings that changed the way the government does business.... Willy Alphonse Jr. from sugar Cane. Youngest Chief ever.
Note. willy shot an antlerless not a buck like it was reported, guess why?

cavebear
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
they have their own lottery draw, and also give permission for ceremonial reasons

MikeH
01-13-2010, 04:05 PM
There is still some around seen sign in Nov.:mrgreen:

bforce750
01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
There is still some around seen sign in Nov.:mrgreen:

Yes there is,but those elk migrate from the U.S. :-D

Jelvis
01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Willy shot that antlerless deer on the ranchers land on the ranchers side about fairly close to the ranchers ranch house one afternoon and dropped his wallet there, and the rancher found it and phoned the co. He charged willy with everything but the kitchen sink, shooting a deer out of season on someone's ranch, and it went from there he fought it all the way to the supremeo court appeals and won. I hate to say it but the co actually fainted at the news, and then they stopped charging status in towns because they lost so many it was'nt worth it.
Jel -- long story but true ...all 5 judges said willy had the right to shoot it there, because the deer was there, and the rest is his story.
It's our legal system so don't blame me or willy or bobby magee.
It happened on the same day Billy MacCallister jumped off the Telegraph Creek bridge. You can read it for your selves on Google. It's nothing new it was years ago and still stands today.
I think most would'nt do that out of respect for the ranch people but willy did.

ratherbefishin
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
just because someone has the RIGHT to do something doesn't mean they SHOULD-and thats the reason why a lot of things blow up

bad arrow
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
So the answer to bowhunterbruce's question is no, they cant shoot whatever they want, for the reasons listed, its not so cut and dried and in fact it would take volumes of case law to answer the ? with some authorative documentaion, in a power point presentation. I agree ratherbefishin just because someone has a right to do something it should not be abused, if one just takes what they need isn't that enough? I figure even if you buy license and tags that system can be abused as well, but thats just my thinking because we are all accountable for our actions, karma if you like.

Jelvis
01-13-2010, 05:24 PM
When the news hit the co fan about Mr. Alphonse winning, unanamously it was a shock to the system in the province, they had to change things at the prosecutors requests because the prosecutor told them in Kamloops too, don't charge a $tatus Indian except for loaded gun in vehicle type stuff but as far as sustenance issues, forget it and then they have to get the local band to back it first, in some cases, it's crazy but nobody would have known this, if Chief Willy (White Shoes) Alphonse, had'nt been charged by the province under the BC Wildlife Act. It escalated from there to the Federal Supreme Appeals Court Highest in the Land.
Since then the priovince and local bands started talking more at the rez and having dinner together with cordial sometimes not so cordial meetings talking about making Interim Agreements so the federal ones were not harmed, but working together, the band and moe could stop outsiders from other provinces driving through, they can under the Indian Act shoot here, so, and interim agreement with some bands who listened to the moe's request for local co-operations to frown on that happening and try to keep it traditional area here, to keep other provinces hunters taking stuff. It helps all of us otherwise that was happening before the co-operation of moe and fed bands. I can give you court cases to look up.
Anyways that's that and easy to look up on Google as above.
Jel look up Delgamuck, and spellings off a bit, it tells of a very big event that they won in court and is written in law. All old news anyways.

ratherbefishin
01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
One of the problems, maybe the biggest problem, is we haven't concluded treaties and come up with acceptable solutions for everybody,that can and will be enforced.Leaving things in a state of flux benefits nobody.This is a complex issue ,one of which is we have no single voice speaking for all FN with the mandate to settle these issues.Of course,I may be accused of being cynical because the moment we do settle it-the lawyers are out of a job....

bad arrow
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM
When you refer to treaties not being settled basically that only applies to most of BC, because in the rest of Canada they have been settled and in fact some have been in BC too, ie: treaty 8 in the norteast corner of BC. If an aboriginal right is infringed upon, the onus is on the crown to prove the infringment is justified ie: a conservation concern.

drakfero
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
same rights for everyone!!! no free hunting , no nets in the rivers and strait of georgia !!!

Jelvis
01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
No nets in rivers or straits, what no one fishes, have another one. lol
No commercial nets now either, your in trouble saying that with a lot of commercial fish boat guys and gals. darkness.
Jel - I thought I heard it all lol.

300win
01-13-2010, 07:00 PM
if one does not live on the reserve and diside to go out and shoot somethingout of season, there dam well better be proof that he/she is in dire need for food (ie no money to buy nothing )and needs to support there family. and better not shoot or take down something with antlers like a big 6 spike or a huge white tail buck, im native (have indian status and dont use it) if some one did this i would be pisseed to say the least.

Good to here, I am not native and hunt with a native friend and all you have said is true. There are a lot of natives out there that respect the resource.

Jelvis
01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
A small percentage of any people hunt in B.C. maybe two out of ten like hunting and the others could care less, same with the natives I know about twenty percent, maybe less that hunt for food reasons, and some like going after big bucks, like any normal sports hunter does.
It's all perception.
..hunting is expensive if you travel and buy all gear and stuffs and some like in all people, can't afford to get out for fun, or seriously looking for maybe a couple long weekends, with the whole fam damily and that's it..
Jobs and business, social life, bingo, gatherings, holidays, kids and family life takes up a lot of days not driving out into the fsr's, so a road hunt or two will have to do.
Jelvi$--

PGK
01-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Go "Green" cut them loose when you find them and save the fish so the excess that isn't sold doesn't end up being dumped in a ditch.

Cut them loose? You mean cut them loose and let them drift down the river, fishing for eternity? Good idea!!!!!!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Or maybe you'll do like the last idiot, and haul up a legally set scientific experimental net and screw a sample design so bad we have to spend an extra day of taxpayer and license dollars to finish the study. Great idea!!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Darksith
01-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I know many FN hunters. Some follow the rules b/c thats the right thing to do, others shoot as many animals as they can, whether they are in season or their territory. Either way the courts will not prosecute a FN person for shooting an animal in BC period. But most don't hunt, the worst are the white FN people that have blonde hair and blue eyes and a status card. The ones I know anyway are shooting anything they see. Luckily they don't get out much.

Jelvis
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Traditional Area is another term that is clouded in, what?
Example the Shuswaps, are 17 bands in total, all traditional hunting grounds around each and all comprise traditional territory and can be hunted by the Shuswaps as far as native hunters are concerned.
Up north in pg it's the Carriers
Merritt -- Nicola and Thompson etc.
Note: this traditional area is the actual rez, and the surrounding Crown Land until meeting with the neighboring tribes area, like Shuswap shares border with Chilcotins etc.
Jel--like ah Vancouver borders Poco etc.

PGK
01-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Do you? Because judging by your post, you don't.

Jelvis
01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Don't forget the age difference fella's, times have changed and new young blood is coming in up in PG, new kids on the block and areas and some of the old Koot hunters are living in their golden years living like Bruce in the "Glory Days"
jel..time to let the younger generation take over and become leaders and have their turn.

PGK
01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
You're scarin the hell outta me jelvis

Jelvis
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry bout the new kids that was not cool brah, I ment Young Gunz.
Jelly-Big Hands of Stone-

PGK
01-13-2010, 11:01 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/edenza919/sutherland.jpg

Dutch Ppoacher
01-13-2010, 11:57 PM

to whom? pretty broad, if i am able to pick up a tag for a rosie by stopping off at the band office!?! count me in. but highly unlikely.

i have a few native friends, from what i have gathered, is that each band is aloud so many equivalent LEH animals per season, the bands then hunt, and must report harvested elk to the co, or the butcher dose it.

when it comes to deer i believe it is open season anything visible from the road.

not arguing, just what the boys in port do

drakfero
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
To Jelvis: take a better look this sommer who is fishing with nets in rivers and than tell me something..

No nets in rivers or straits, what no one fishes, have another one. lol
No commercial nets now either, your in trouble saying that with a lot of commercial fish boat guys and gals. darkness.
Jel - I thought I heard it all lol.

Jelvis
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
darkfero there ah, someone put down everyone equal no fishing ..you? I don't remember but
that's about as realistic as if no one drank liquor, all sober.
Commercial fisherpeople fish the Fraser at the most vulnerable spot at it's mouth and take what they can get and sports fishers with hooks and you say no fishing for anyone, so it will be equal.
Sorry but that is such a different way of looking at it, it's out of this world.
Jel won't happen.

LostInSpaces
01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
So the answer to bowhunterbruce's question is no, they cant shoot whatever they want, for the reasons listed, its not so cut and dried and in fact it would take volumes of case law to answer the ? with some authorative documentaion, in a power point presentation. I agree ratherbefishin just because someone has a right to do something it should not be abused, if one just takes what they need isn't that enough? I figure even if you buy license and tags that system can be abused as well, but thats just my thinking because we are all accountable for our actions, karma if you like.

Just for the sake of asking what steps do/will the different bands take with thier own members when someone is abusing the right? What level of proof is required? Provincially we have the CO service and the RAPP line. How do they police thier own members?

bowhunterbruce
01-14-2010, 07:31 PM
so what everyone is telling me is that they can and they can't it almost up to the individual bands to police themselfs and as far as the co's are concered they must abide by thier rules yet they are unable to accuallyand successfully inforce them.
is this what i am hearing

ianwuzhere
01-14-2010, 08:03 PM
man, i want a status card. the days of buying licenses, having a tag to cut, and worry if that 2 point moose is really a 3 point would be gone.
tho i would do less hunting cuz the freezer would be full very quick...
does ebay sell them??hehe

Jelvis
01-14-2010, 08:05 PM
bowhunterbruce on the golden goose in the ok noggin. Hows the whitetails?

You see the results as in your number 51 post, complete and udder lawlessness, we need Elliot Ne$$, to get into this mess and mix with the chop sticks, lol.
Ok some can, some won't, some do some don't. I can give you a definite maybe. lol. It's sad in away but it's a circle and circles have no ends.
Cycle wheel , you spin me round, we're entering ROUND 1.
In this corner Jelly Bean with the red trunks, 186 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal, a know it all, he's bin dare, he's done dat.
And in this corner wearing the white trunks trimmed with yellow, The White Cyclone Cocky KoeCashin Cory Allegory, 186 pounds of curly knotted muscle this guy can tussle.
Jelly comes out looking for the truth, he's swayin hey, I can hunt in the interior around region 3, anyday I want, POW, I can hunt anything to eat if I need my sustenance CRUNCH, had enuff ???
What yah got, that's all you got, I'll take your best shot, is that all you got? THUD haha. ok go Cocky show me something or, my momma said, " To knock you out, Your Momma - Smack -
Jel - your turn, in the middle of round 1 so far Jeealy's got the White Cyclone on qu-er street, on shaky unsure legs.

Dutch Ppoacher
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
bowhunterbruce on the golden goose in the ok noggin. Hows the whitetails?

You see the results as in your number 51 post, complete and udder lawlessness, we need Elliot Ne$$, to get into this mess and mix with the chop sticks, lol.
Ok some can, some won't, some do some don't. I can give you a definite maybe. lol. It's sad in away but it's a circle and circles have no ends.
Cycle wheel , you spin me round, we're entering ROUND 1.
In this corner Jelly Bean with the red trunks, 186 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal, a know it all, he's bin dare, he's done dat.
And in this corner wearing the white trunks trimmed with yellow, The White Cyclone Cocky KoeCashin Cory Allegory, 186 pounds of curly knotted muscle this guy can tussle.
Jelly comes out looking for the truth, he's swayin hey, I can hunt in the interior around region 3, anyday I want, POW, I can hunt anything to eat if I need my sustenance CRUNCH, had enuff ???
What yah got, that's all you got, I'll take your best shot, is that all you got? THUD haha. ok go Cocky show me something or, my momma said, " To knock you out, Your Momma - Smack -
Jel - your turn, in the middle of round 1 so far Jeealy's got the White Cyclone on qu-er street, on shaky unsure legs.

Jelly, your pure entertainment, don't care what anyone say's about you! love reading your scrambled words and rhymes.

Dutch

PGK
01-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Are you high on drugs?

Jelvis
01-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Any species within traditional hunting grounds, hunting fish? Now it's fish lol.
From huntinck tah fishinck in 6 seconds, lol. Focus fella's lol.
On topic or not let's hear it, there's no stupid questions, just stupid answers lol.
Any animal as long as it is'nt on the extinction list, a stat can hunt traditional year round, but a native without stat card, only within the rez borderz, and that's all the way from head quarters...Ottawa and Victoria the law makers, the mucky mucks with expense accounts and a shiny new truck and a gas card, high level meetings to attend for their portfolio to bend, and a smoozer, no room for cruisers, it's about the bottom line, closing the deal, then party for real, with the mucky muck schmoozers, got no time for the loozers, since voted in , low life, livin the high life. ......
jElvis ... One Night With You ...Check, Yes or No ... Amerillo by Marnin ... Meet yah @ Halfway...
any time any place join the human race ...
Hi$ Jellyne$$

PGK
01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't understand what you said, it makes no sense. I'm literally stunned that you think cutting gillnets loose in a river is somehow going to 'save' a bunch of fish. Like, do you understand how gillnets work? Do you understand that if they're sitting on the bottom of a river they will continue to catch fish forever?? The vast, vast majority of gillnets set in this province are set legally, and the majority of those are set by government. Like, what the **** are you trying to say?

PGK
01-16-2010, 03:13 PM
I guess you know better than me, sorry.

bowhunterbruce
01-16-2010, 03:21 PM
pgk and hummer ,remember i said at the very beginning "i dont want this thread to be negative in any way",please keep your comments to each other in your own personal private message box's and try to STAY ON TOPIC
thanks
bruce

PGK
01-16-2010, 04:08 PM
There's a lot of things in life I'd like to believe in, but it's hard to believe that a vast majority of nets on rivers are set by the government. That's implying the government is outfishing native efforts? OKAY:roll:. I think I already know the reaction I'll receive when I pass that little 'jem' on. And then:idea: perhaps it's the government that dumps fish, on occasion:shock:. OKAY:(.

Did I say that? Please quote me saying that. You can't. Read what I wrote. I did not single out rivers, not did I say the vast majority are set by government. I said the vast majority are set legally, and the majority of those are set by the government (or research interests). If you know of wasted catch by a FN band member, I suggest you notify the chiefs. Surprisingly, when you approach FN leaders with respect and courtesy, showing concern over the actions of an individual member, they will usually deal with that member approproately. I know of several families in the WL area who defied a fishing ban by the band and have since been banned from fishing by the band and have had their gear confiscated by the band.

Cutting nets loose is absolutely idiotic. Hauling them up is nearly as bad. Only happened to me once. Hope I don't end up working where your 'sources' are from :neutral:

Hemi
01-16-2010, 04:18 PM
So if they are aloud to hunt anytime on their territory because way back when white man took their land. Fine maybe wasn't there, however since white man intruduced guns to the natives wouldn't it only be fair that they hunt with tradional method and use bow...:?:

PGK
01-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Okay:roll:. Still with the rose coloured glasses?? Still seems "you're" being out fished by the government.

:redface:Sorry bowhunterbruce:redface:. He sounds somewhat youth full so I'll ignore his narrow prospective on reality.

Narrow perspective? At least I have some real experience with the subject at hand, instead of the usual smoky back room lies and heresay.

22savage
01-16-2010, 04:54 PM
IMO any unattended gillnet should be remove from the water ,the potential risk of unintenional by catch is to great never mind the logs and deris that will eventually take these nets to the bottom ,where they will continue kill indiscirmately.!!!!

browningboy
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
just remember that I kick ass!:mrgreen:

Jelvis
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Looky back to post number 53, and Jelly bean had Ali Gori on the ropes and cut um off into the corner, with his back against the corner post and jelly diggin shots and Ali G, had nuthin to bring to the square circle, jelly won a no contest, so we're lookin for a question with any doubt and my momma said, to Knock you OUT !
So Jelly beans going up against Drago, the European Champ at 185 and he's ready, are you ready, let's git it on.
Jelly's out first, hey Egor, yer a non resi Splat! Whad you say, $tat, a-rat a tat tat, jelly side steps and replants his feet, stung by Egor's hate with a three shot combo to the temple and chin. That all you got? I took your best shot, you need a hunting license, I don't, Slam! Egor's going down but got hung up on the ropes, and throws a cutting remark, you should use bow and arrow like your relations, Bam! Jelly's hurt, jel's hurt he's he's wait a second, hey Egor, your going down, Crack. Egor's eyes got that far away look and ended like many others have, ki$$in the canva$$.
jel--he was a non resi -- took from the residents cha hances hic and the
out-fitters .... who's next ?

MuleyStalker
01-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Looky back to post number 53, and Jelly bean had Ali Gori on the ropes and cut um off into the corner, with his back against the corner post and jelly diggin shots and Ali G, had nuthin to bring to the square circle, jelly won a no contest, so we're lookin for a question with any doubt and my momma said, to Knock you OUT !
So Jelly beans going up against Drago, the European Champ at 185 and he's ready, are you ready, let's git it on.
Jelly's out first, hey Egor, yer a non resi Splat! Whad you say, $tat, a-rat a tat tat, jelly side steps and replants his feet, stung by Egor's hate with a three shot combo to the temple and chin. That all you got? I took your best shot, you need a hunting license, I don't, Slam! Egor's going down but got hung up on the ropes, and throws a cutting remark, you should use bow and arrow like your relations, Bam! Jelly's hurt, jel's hurt he's he's wait a second, hey Egor, your going down, Crack. Egor's eyes got that far away look and ended like many others have, ki$$in the canva$$.
jel--he was a non resi -- took from the residents cha hances hic and the
out-fitters .... who's next ?

HAHAHA Your posts always entertain me:-D but sometimes I gotta wonder what you're smokin' to come with all this material:mrgreen:

pappy
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm a status indian and I have talked with a c.o. about hunting elk on the island. His answer is no, I can't go hunt them with out a l.e.h. draw. Up here in the Fort st John the c.o. says I can't hunt any l.e.h. animal with out a proper tag either. I can only hunt game in B.C. by the rules just like you non-natives, it's just that I don't buy a license or any tags for the g.o.s. This is because a status card goes under the mothers side of the family and mine is from Ontario. There for I have no traditional land to hunt in B.C. Local native bands all have different ways to go about your question and depending on the species that is hunted, so if your worried about sh#t going down contact your local band office and start asking questions.

BuriedByTheDead
01-16-2010, 11:29 PM
well, im first nations and im pretty sure if its on your own land you are allowed to hunt everything like gun and liscense still all has to be legal and everything but i dont hunt there anyways...

Jelvis
01-16-2010, 11:41 PM
pappy you don't sound happy, I'll give you a hint, do not go around asking people what you can or can't do, cuz they'll bs you til your blue in the face. if you have'nt researched through the system on both sides and conversed with band members then, take a stand on your own two feet, don't expect others to bolster your position and give you permission, your looking for permission to do something from others, many do it, your not alone pappy, but you'll never be slap happy, cuz your scared, your fuzzy on the Skuzzy and until you learn like the braves do, by challenging these rules face to face you'll lose the race.
If you say you can't then you can't so a Status card from Ontario on mothers side ok.
Yah, then you need to apply for leh, but can hunt during regular season the same as others with bc hunting number.
Pappy so you can hunt during regular gos in bc and apply for leh but can't hunt all year around only general open season.
If you do have a valid Status Card number as a valid INAC Indian, you could challenge those interim agreements I spoke of earlier, but if you don't like adversarial confrontations, stay as you are soldier.
jElvis .... The Rock says, " Know Your Roll " and Shut the Pie Hole ....

hunter1947
01-17-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm a status indian and I have talked with a c.o. about hunting elk on the island. His answer is no, I can't go hunt them with out a l.e.h. draw. Up here in the Fort st John the c.o. says I can't hunt any l.e.h. animal with out a proper tag either. I can only hunt game in B.C. by the rules just like you non-natives, it's just that I don't buy a license or any tags for the g.o.s. This is because a status card goes under the mothers side of the family and mine is from Ontario. There for I have no traditional land to hunt in B.C. Local native bands all have different ways to go about your question and depending on the species that is hunted, so if your worried about sh#t going down contact your local band office and start asking questions.

The band in Port Renfew are given 2 Roosevelt elk tags a year from the government and they are not LEH draws..

I am sure that there are other regions throughout the island that the aboriginals are given permission to take a number of elk in a calender year and this is not on there land.

Kim Brunt the elk biologist in Nanimo ask us not to hunt the Renfew elk herd when my partner got the special Led Draw in 2006 because the aboriginals where allowed to take two elk from this herd and there are two Leh permits issued for this area ,I told him that we would not hunt the Renfew herd and in return he told us of some areas that carried the biggest population of elk on Vancouver Island....

betteroffishing
01-17-2010, 08:31 AM

no- one questions the letter of the law on this one pappy , and good on you for getting informed on your rights and responsibilities and even better on you for keeping your actions within the borders of those rights and responsibilities. because as you can see from the previouse posts theres a lot of sentiment out there that says legal or not you can do as you wish and you will not be charged and in the unlikely event that you are , they will likely be dropped before it sees the light of a courtroom . in white man talk that basically means giving your people smallpox ladden blankets a couple hundred years ago makes it quite unsavory to think about persecuting you for feeding your family.