PDA

View Full Version : Building Archery Targets

IslandHunterBXL
01-12-2010, 03:48 PM
does anyone know where a guy can pick up some of those asbestos ceiling tiles that they make big archery targets out of?

IslandHunterBXL
01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know where to find some of those asbestos ceiling tiles to make those big archery targets?

islandboy
01-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Use Donnacona board. You might want to google asbestos before you spread it all over your target area. The clean up will $urpri$e you. :mrgreen:

swamper
01-12-2010, 04:02 PM
The biggest problem with Donnacona is that you need two men and a boy to pull the arrows out. Especially carbon arrows at high speeds. You are better off filling burlap sacks with shrink wrap. Pack it in as tight as possible. They stop arrows very well and it is a snap to pull the arrows out.

springpin
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
asbestos????

Bow Walker
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Those ceiling tile panels (donacona board [sp?]) make great targets - if you do it right.

The tiles shoud be cut lengthwise into three equal widths. They then should be stacked atop one another for your target face. They then need to be compressed and locked into position. Then you can prop the target upright and begin shooting.

Yes, they do tend to hang on to carbon shafts but this can be minimized by either using a commercial (store bought) arrow lube or you can use a bar of face soap and rub it up and down the tip end of the arrow, to a length of about 6 - 8 inches. Makes arrow removal very easy. Great for 3D animals as well. :wink:

Another down-side is that these types of targets are thirsty. They soak up moisture/rain like a camel. Cover the target butt with some sort of a roof to prolong target life.

Other than that - they're fine...:?

LYKTOHUNT
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
The biggest problem with Donnacona is that you need two men and a boy to pull the arrows out. Especially carbon arrows at high speeds. You are better off filling burlap sacks with shrink wrap. Pack it in as tight as possible. They stop arrows very well and it is a snap to pull the arrows out.
We just built some target stands for the Quesnel rod and gun club using burlap bags and shrink wrap, they work great,stop the arrows and are easy to pull out. Our first club practice will be this Thursday.

xtremearchery
01-12-2010, 04:26 PM

i agree 100%

hardnocks
01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
xtreme....what are your butte`s in abby made from ??? and how did you make them???

huntcoop
01-12-2010, 07:45 PM
IslandHunterBXL, search for a post that was placed by The Hermit, he made an incredible target out of kids play mat, I think.

greybark
01-12-2010, 09:36 PM
:wink: There are two types of Donacona board . The one with a slightly dark coloured resin added is a no go, however the lighter coloured stuff is ok.

hunter1947
01-13-2010, 05:02 AM
does anyone know where a guy can pick up some of those asbestos ceiling tiles that they make big archery targets out of?

Any hard ware stor should have them...

sawmill
01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
I made mine out of DonnaConna cut in 12 inch strips and stacked.4 ft. x 4 ft.Held together with a length of ready rod top and bottom,worked great.

Fraink
01-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I think the best archery target is a burlap sack ( from a coffee importer for free ) filled with plastic bags. Arrows come out easily and it has stopping power.

hardnocks
01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
a bag of plastic works ..but not real good for high speed bows.

with the cost of donacona its cheaper to buy a bulldog target.... i need to build a good target for fita 900 rounds. One afternoon will shoot out the center of a dona cona butte.

Bow Walker
01-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I merged the two threads about this one topic, so all the replies and info should be here in this thread.

Bow Walker
01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
I got one of those "Bull Dog" targets for Christmas. It's the "Dog House". It's not for broadheads, but it's perfect for field tips. Best $100 you'll ever spend - plus they're guaranteed for life.

Ruger4
02-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I just bought 2 of the double dogs :mrgreen:

Paper league starting in March

gibblewabble
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Fire up the table saw and cut cradboard into strips (just like your DonnaConna) and you can find it anywhere there is a cardboard recycling bin. I just use a couple of 2x6 on edge screwed to another on flat and ready rod the two ends. Its cheap to replace bad sections and I just set it up on a couple of those cheap work benches. Just have to keep it dry.

Stéphane
09-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I got one of those "Bull Dog" targets for Christmas. It's the "Dog House". It's not for broadheads, but it's perfect for field tips. Best $100 you'll ever spend - plus they're guaranteed for life.

Hi Bow Walker,

I was going to build my own, but for $100 shipped, no stand to be built . . . Only 2 questions remain: can I leave outside in the rain? Can I leave it on the ground?

Thanks!

Bow Walker
09-18-2010, 11:38 AM
The Bulldog targets are so portable that I always put mine back in the shed - and I'm notorious for leaving my stuff "around", just ask my wife.

As to how rain-proof they are....I'd not chance it, too much can go wrong.

I've put mine on the ground lots of times, damp grass even (while shooting) and then I put it away. If the bottom is wet I just wipe it off before storing it.

The frame of the target is made out of wood, with the interior filled with some sort of cellulose. The target is covered with a heavy vinyl-type plastic covering that seems to heal up a bit after being struck with the arrows.

Stéphane
09-18-2010, 05:15 PM
I got this email back from Bull Dog:

On 2010-09-18, at 1:50 PM, wrote:

Question Answer
First & Last Name Stéphane Gingras
Email Address ********
Your Question Hi,

I was going to build my own target, but someone pointed me in your direction. I am interested in the BullDog DogHouse FP, but I need to have a bit more info. Actually I have 2 questions. 1. Can it stay in the rain? 2. Can I place it on the ground?

Thanks,

Stéphane

Ya you can leave it out year round. The sun is a bit
Hard on it so a shady spot would be good
Thanks,
Seth

--- Sent From Mobile Device ---

Bowzone_Mikey
09-18-2010, 07:48 PM
I leave mine outside all year .... its held up better than My Morrels but Ya Seth is right .. I have to replace my covers because the UV kicks the crap out of it ... The origibnal Doghouse is good ... for fast skinny arrows tho I would go with the Doghouse XP ... its a little thicker and less chance of blow out the back side ... That said i have never had pass thrus ... just tips sticking out the back ... Not recomemded when placed against a wooden wall ...

Bow Walker
09-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Another endorsement for them, Stepane.

I'm still a bit anal about leaving mine outdoors all year round though.

But that's just me...

timbermilton
09-18-2010, 09:31 PM
i've had my doghouse fp for near 2 years now. replaced the cover about 8 months ago. i shoot near ever day and my wife 3-4 times a week. plus our friends shooting it too. over 10k shots and still not a single pass through. we dont shoot groups though(gets expensive).

Bow Walker
09-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Mikey and timbermilton - when you say you replaced the covers - did you send the targets back for the replacement or did you do it yourselves? I've yet to hear of anyone actually using the "Lifetime" warranty.

killman
09-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Mikey and timbermilton - when you say you replaced the covers - did you send the targets back for the replacement or did you do it yourselves? I've yet to hear of anyone actually using the "Lifetime" warranty.

I was checking out the web site, the inner has lifetime Warr. It has replaceable covers on it that do wear out and can be replaced.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-19-2010, 09:56 AM
the outter is replaced for like 20 or so bucks .......

you send them $$$ they send you the outter covering ... then you use an Arrow staple gun ;) and install the cover yourself

Stéphane
10-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Well, I finally completed my back yard shooting range and I didn't build my target, but dug the little hill and put a retaining wall instead. Works great for short distance: 50 ft the longest distance.

I dug a hole and laid bricks for steps and drainage. I had those bricks lying around and never knew what to do with them.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2718.jpg

I had a helper too.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2720.jpg

I drove 2 ft rebars into the ground - over killed if you ask me.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2721.jpg

30" height
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_3002.jpg

I bought a Morrell for target. At $60, I was satisfied for the use.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_3003.jpg

I can go and practice whenever I feel like it and it is great to prepare for grouse hunt.

Stéphane
10-30-2010, 10:15 AM
And I added this new gadget that automatically your arrows back . . . . .

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2712.jpg

island grown
10-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Do you have to replace many fletches??

Bow Walker
10-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Damn Stephane, you got all the newest toys!!

4ptbuck
11-02-2010, 08:29 AM
It looks purdy. Very neat, well made and solid, which may be a problem. I shoot at a bag against my shed. When I pull an oops, and hit a landscape tie, I sometime lose the arrow. They are b*tch to pull out buried in solid wood.

Do you plan to put a cover over that target? It might be a good idea to get something heavier, and instead of lifting the cover right off, to pull the bag out, and set it back in, tucking the cover loosely, between the bag and wood frame.

....or don't miss, like I have.