PDA

View Full Version : Guiding Territories

dutchie
01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
I am curious, If a guide has the rights to a certain territory, does a resident hunter have to abide by that territory? meaning they can hunt in that territory?

Or is that territory designated for that guide ONLY?

Dutchie

peterrum3
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Its Crown Land that the outfitter has the rights to, you can hunt it.........period

lip_ripper00
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
NO!! they may not be happpy but..........................................!

Gateholio
01-11-2010, 11:27 PM
????

A resident of BC can hunt anywhere he wants in all of BC....

Moose Guide
01-11-2010, 11:28 PM
The outfitter has the exclusive rights to guide in that area but any resident hunter can hunt there, he owns the guiding rights only but he can't keep others out! That doesn't mean he won't try!

todbartell
01-11-2010, 11:28 PM
????

A resident of BC can hunt anywhere he wants in all of BC....

....as long as it's crown land and not private :)

bridger
01-11-2010, 11:37 PM
the guide outfitter owns only the guiding rights and resident hunters can freely hunt any guide outfitter area no permisson needed

dutchie
01-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Ok that is what I thought.

Thanks

dutchie
01-11-2010, 11:56 PM
The outfitter has the exclusive rights to guide in that area but any resident hunter can hunt there, he owns the guiding rights only but he can't keep others out! That doesn't mean he won't try!

If the Guide tries is that not interfering with a legal hunt?

BiG Boar
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
What are some of the tactics used by guides to keep residents out? And have you actually experienced it yourself?

peterrum3
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM

BlacktailStalker
01-12-2010, 12:01 AM

Yeah but you need to prove it. Hope your camera has good video capability. Most do now a days.

yukon john
01-12-2010, 12:04 AM

has this actually happened to you or do we need another guide bashing thread? I am polite and friendly to everyone I meet while guiding...except poachers and no resident doesnt equal poacher to me. I often stop and chat with residents for an hour or more on a slow day hunting and the coffee pot is always on in my camp.

peterrum3
01-12-2010, 12:09 AM

It could be depending on the circumstances. It has never happened to me but I heard(hearsay) of it happening once in this area in the last 12 years. So thats not too bad. What would your options be if it happened?

a. remind him/her that they are interfering with a lawful hunt.
b. tell them to get stuffed.
c. report the incident to a CO
d. all of the above.

Mr. Dean
01-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Reminder..... There's no such thing as a stupid Q.
Wish the same could be said for answers, though.

If anyone wants to know where their post went - I took it.

high and to the right
01-12-2010, 01:38 AM
If I go into an area where someone is guiding I respect them like any other hunter and let them have the area. If I am there hunting and they come into my area I expect that they will give me the same respect. There is so much land around and so many animals that squaring off over a few km's is very childish. I've had good and bad experiences with guides over the years. Some were rude and disrespectful and others were helpful, even pointing me to a good spot.

My worst encounter was in Alberta when I went to an area that I had hunted for 10 years. On my trip in I met a guide with with 2 clients. When I tried to go by him (he blocked the road with his truck to an approximately 20 sq. mile hunting territory) he pulled his gun and pointed it at me (I was on my trike). I don't know what he expected but I pulled my gun out of my scabbard, jacked a shell in it and pointed it at him and we stood there looking at each other for quite awhile. He was arrested later that week when he pulled the same stunt on a Judge that was hunting the area.

My best encounter was also in Alberta where a guide invited us to his camp every year for a feast that he put on. Since we hunted the same territory and both knew most of the secrets we slowly revealed some of what we knew. After hunting for a week of a 10 day hunt and not having any luck he gave me one of his hot spots and I went home with a nice moose and I in turn let him in on one of my honey holes when he was having a rough time getting his last client a trophy animal.

As great as hunting in Alberta is, nothing beats BC for beauty and abundance of game. When I moved here in 1987 and was new to the area, a friend introduced me to a man who was guiding in the north. I phoned him and asked if he could point me in a general area to hunt. He went way out of his way and said, drive the 17 hours from Vancouver to this spot and I'll meet you there. We spend a day on our ATV's together and he took me to an area that has produced a moose for me (along with bear, elk, and deer although I usually just watch them) every year for two decades. So far I have only met one ignorant guide in BC who took two clients on ATV's right through the area I was hunting an hour before sun down. He obviously didn't know the area as I was at the end of the line about 200 yards from a swamp and there was no way through it. So... he drove back again right past me on his way out. No stopping, no conversation - just ignorance.

Bearen 09
01-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Reminder..... There's no such thing as a stupid Q.
Wish the same could be said for answers, though.

If anyone wants to know where their post went - I took it.
Very good point.

MOOSE MILK
01-12-2010, 04:39 AM
While hunting 147 mile Alaska Hwy east side past the air port, we were stoped by a guide when we were coming back out. He had the road blocked and 3 other big burly lookin guys with ax handles, sure looked mean as hell. Seems someone went in and tore up a landing strip that was further back than the one near the hwy.

We did see some young guys that had a Scout 4x4 go past our camp. In those days there were not many 4x4,s and no ATV's. Any ways The guide figgured that it was a 4x4 that tore up his landing strip by doing donuts all over the strip. They also killed two cow moose that they just left behind on his strip, and left a bunch of beer cans and garbage behind.

While we were quartering up a moose we wondered why a plane was flying over so low and often, they were looking us over, figgured it was us tore up his strip. When he talked to us at the road block he figgured out that we probably didn't do the damage. Saying that if we packed out our moose from way down in that gully we would have shurly taken the ones that could be driven right up to.

After giving him discription of Scout and guys, He said that he had an idea who it was (figgured it was some local punks) he made the remark that they won't get back in there again.

The following year we tried going in there again and the road was washed away at the culverts, totally unpassable. We found out at the gas / coffee bar right near there that he shoved plywood down in front of the culverts in the spring and the water washed away the road by going around the culverts.

We used to check that road and it was many years before we could get back into that area again, thats how he kept people out of his area. I met up with him some time later and he showed us another way in to the area.

This guide is somewhat famous in that area his exploits has been written up in a book. I have forgoten his name, been hapening lately.

Devilbear
01-12-2010, 07:13 AM
has this actually happened to you or do we need another guide bashing thread? I am polite and friendly to everyone I meet while guiding...except poachers and no resident doesnt equal poacher to me. I often stop and chat with residents for an hour or more on a slow day hunting and the coffee pot is always on in my camp.

Well said, I try to treat everyone I meet while involved in any type of bush activity as a friend and have had next to no trouble with anyone since I started serious solo backpack camping, hunting and so forth in 1964. There are a few azzholes in any group of humans you care to delineate, but, most people are decent and will respond to being well treated.

I have encountered a few GOs while hunting and will always stop and see if they need help should it appear their vehicle is stuck, just as I would with anyone. The "ideal" situation is for all hunters to cooperate and treat the environment, the wildlife and each other with respect and any actions toward that end are beneficial to us all, IMHO.

bridger
01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
In my experience in 7b over the years I have fournd that most outfitters tell their crews to avoid confrontations with residents. this is especially true if you are hunting moose or elk or deer. the attitude is different towards sheep hunters guaranteed. The harrassent is subtle, a super cub flying over the mtn you are hunting on at low level every morning, (when you complain the co tells you the guide was looking for his horses), hunting accessibe areas on the first two days of the season, spotting you from the air and sending a guide and hunter into the area ahead of you (when they have been hunting in another camp), assistant guides without hunters going ahead of you in the morning (scouting?) The list goes on. I could write a book of my experiences and those of my friends on this subject alone. After awhie you learn to ignore the tactics and develop your own methods of dealing with it. Some encounters are legitmate as the guides hunt their sheep areas hard the first two weeks of the season so you are often going to bump into each other as a matter of course. but many are deliberate.

peterrum3
01-12-2010, 08:27 AM
The "ideal" situation is for all hunters to cooperate and treat the environment, the wildlife and each other with respect and any actions toward that end are beneficial to us all, IMHO.

Hear, hear, absolutely.

bridger
01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Hear, hear, absolutely.

couldn't agree more

yamadirt 426
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM
In my experience in 7b over the years I have fournd that most outfitters tell their crews to avoid confrontations with residents. this is especially true if you are hunting moose or elk or deer. the attitude is different towards sheep hunters guaranteed. The harrassent is subtle, a super cub flying over the mtn you are hunting on at low level every morning, (when you complain the co tells you the guide was looking for his horses), hunting accessibe areas on the first two days of the season, spotting you from the air and sending a guide and hunter into the area ahead of you (when they have been hunting in another camp), assistant guides without hunters going ahead of you in the morning (scouting?) The list goes on. I could write a book of my experiences and those of my friends on this subject alone. After awhie you learn to ignore the tactics and develop your own methods of dealing with it. Some encounters are legitmate as the guides hunt their sheep areas hard the first two weeks of the season so you are often going to bump into each other as a matter of course. but many are deliberate.

Write the book Bridger. Lots of pics too. Im in need of another good book. Last one I read was by Mike Cramond. Big game hunting in the West. I've never had a problem with a guide but who does in chilliwack anyway. :mrgreen:

Kody94
01-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I am curious, If a guide has the rights to a certain territory, does a resident hunter have to abide by that territory? meaning they can hunt in that territory?

Or is that territory designated for that guide ONLY?

Dutchie

Guide has exclusive rights to non-resident hunters within his licenced territory. Some species are on quota (he is limited to the number his clients can kill), others aren't.

There is no constraints on resident hunters as far as the location of guide-outfitter territories is concerned.

UNLESS, you as a resident buy a hunt from that outfitter, that also is a "quota" species. If it applies to his/her "quota" then it has to come from their territory.

01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Guide has exclusive rights to non-resident hunters within his licenced territory.

Guides have exclusive rights to commercially "guide" anybody in his teritory, regardless resident or non-resident, quota species or non-quota species, and is also restricted to that territory for the purpose of guiding.

Kody94
01-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Guides have exclusive rights to commercially "guide" anybody in his teritory, regardless resident or non-resident, quota species or non-quota species, and is also restricted to that territory for the purpose of guiding.

Very true. My choice of words was just an attempt to try and steer clear of the discussion about packing vs guiding. :)

dutchie
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM

never happened to me, and it was not ment to be a guide bashing thread. It was actually a legitimate question. Everyone has to make money somehow, and Guide just get the lucky job of doing it in the mountains.

There was no disrespect intended in my question.

Dutchie

kendoo
01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Have talked to ex assistant guides (disgruntled) from both outfitters upper muskwa was told they were instructed to pull the bungs on jet boaters gas drums & dump the fuel. Also whenever thier jet boat went by they would crowd our boat washing it hard against the bank. Had to send a message to stop these practices or else, he has a lot more to lose than me. (Did you ever see what happens when salt is put out? the next year there is big holes from animals pawing) Not good on his private airstrip. I would never do it but he got the message & have had no more problems last 10 years. Also talked to CO in ft. nelson about low flying aircraft when we are spotted & one day some one will get PO & was told by CO that the plane already had a few holes in it but he don't learn. Has been a little better last couple years.

dutchie
01-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Have talked to ex assistant guides (disgruntled) from both outfitters upper muskwa was told they were instructed to pull the bungs on jet boaters gas drums & dump the fuel. Also whenever thier jet boat went by they would crowd our boat washing it hard against the bank. Had to send a message to stop these practices or else, he has a lot more to lose than me. (Did you ever see what happens when salt is put out? the next year there is big holes from animals pawing) Not good on his private airstrip. I would never do it but he got the message & have had no more problems last 10 years. Also talked to CO in ft. nelson about low flying aircraft when we are spotted & one day some one will get PO & was told by CO that the plane already had a few holes in it but he don't learn. Has been a little better last couple years.

:eek:..... wow...

If this is true ( no reason to belive it is not but...) I do not even know what to say.

Dutchie

boxhitch
01-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Have talked to ex assistant guides (disgruntled) from both outfitters upper muskwa was told they were instructed to pull the bungs on jet boaters gas drums & dump the fuel. Also whenever thier jet boat went by they would crowd our boat washing it hard against the bank. Had to send a message to stop these practices or else, he has a lot more to lose than me. (Did you ever see what happens when salt is put out? the next year there is big holes from animals pawing) Not good on his private airstrip. I would never do it but he got the message & have had no more problems last 10 years. Also talked to CO in ft. nelson about low flying aircraft when we are spotted & one day some one will get PO & was told by CO that the plane already had a few holes in it but he don't learn. Has been a little better last couple years.Second hand and outdated. Holes in planes ? gimme a break

bridger
01-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Second hand and outdated. Holes in planes ? gimme a break

I agree this outdated but the holes in the plane are true for sure pm for details