PDA

View Full Version : Predator Hunt??

BimmerBob
01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
At our Surrey/Langley Coffee/BS Session last week somebody mentioned the idea of setting up a group predator hunt for HBC'rs.

I have never hunted wolves/coyotes/? but thought the idea was a superb one so wanted to keep the idea alive by starting this thread to see what we can accomplish over the next few months.

What do the experts think? Would it be an idea to meet up in an area over a week or so (people can come and go) where the newbie's can see how it's done and the experienced can show off their skills? This would be like a Predator Hunting Mentoring program where we can meet up in the wilderness, help out the ranchers and game and have some fun too.

What say you all? An idea worth pursuing? Any ideas or thoughts on where we might be able to go?

Let's see what we can do to make something happen!

Bob

martyonthewater
01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
I like the idea of that BB, now all I need is that sweet little ruger M77 .204 I saw in guildford on sat. I'd really love to get a few bobcats, wouldn't mind doing my part on coyotes either.

BimmerBob
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Good, well at least we have two of us ;)

I have a 22-250 that has only punched paper thus far in it's life, time to make some holes in fur!

Any others? I understand Gatehouse is the best "camp cook" around even though we have Campcook on the site too...

Steeleco
01-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I've a 25.06 that needs to get some blood on it. A Bobcat would be nice but a few yotes will do.

boxhitch
01-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Maybe too late, but a spring hunt along the Fraser during lambing time would help out a few sheeps.

BimmerBob
01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Good idea Boxhitch, anybody know somebody that we could set something like this up... Might be a good time to go when the olympics are on down here so I can "get the hell outa Dodge" while the gettin is good!

todbartell
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
maybe Killman could organize the PG section of this hunt LOL

killman
01-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Sure but can we have it in Sask. or Alberta. Dink!:-D

BimmerBob
01-10-2010, 10:55 PM
All right! Some concrete ideas going now, keep 'em up everyone.

Chris, do you know a fellow by the name of Hancock, he ranches on the west side of the Fraser just down from the Big Bar Ferry. He is an old school chum of mine, might be some there too?

Thanks for the ideas, Bob

BiG Boar
01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Great, now I need to buy another rifle. Just what I needed!

BimmerBob
01-11-2010, 08:02 AM

Glad to be of assistance Dave, we are all here to be helpful! :wink:

Brew
01-11-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm in BimmerBob. The rifles are ready and my new foxpro should show up an day now.

martyonthewater
01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
if this is an addiction, does that make us facilitators?

Theo722
01-11-2010, 10:33 AM
I'd be down with a predator hunt. Never to old to try something not tried yet.

Barracuda
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
predator hunts are always fun and interesting. I would be game.

we are haveing really odd weather right now we have no fresh snow within a couple of hrs of here it seems :-? .

We were out with the hounds again last week found some really old cougar scat but there is no snow at all dry as a bone and cold.

If some fresh snow comes down within an hour or two of here we will be out on it with the hound as far as cats go.
If someone is intersted in following hounds let me know as leah cant alway coordinate her time free with hunting so sometimes am left without a partner and i dont normally go without a partner.

bridger
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
we have one in fort st john each year at the end of february and it is a blast. Teams (max 3 members) pay $100 entry fee and meet for breakfast at a local resturant (breakfast included in the fee). After breakfast there is shotgun start. Contest ends at 3pm when all the teams meet back at a local pipeline companies shop for beer and nachos etc. cash prizes are given for 1) the first coyote delivered to the pipeline shop 2) the most coyotes per team 3) the ugliest coyote. It is an aboslute great time. last year the ugliest coyote winner was a road kill that had been run over several times and was flat as a pancake. Hey what the hell nobody said you had to shoot them. the coyotes are given to a local trapper.

Barracuda
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Now that would be fun.
If at any point, I can help with the Clinton area(if you so choose) Please let me know. We have a great log hotel(very clean and very reasonable.No i do not have shares in it) I also know a lady on the Fraser that between the Bob cat, cougar and coyotes, clean her chickens and cats out every year.
I do believe she would be tickled pink to see the cavalry arrive in force.
For you cat hunters (if they join,) I will point out the areas that have produced many large cats.
Cheers

Im all ears :mrgreen:

If we set up a time and place for this we should be able to wrangle our schedules for us and our hounds.

01-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm in for a hunt. what do you think the dates will be?

spencer
01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
For cyotes 10/22 would be nice

yung buck
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
we have one in fort st john each year at the end of february and it is a blast. Teams (max 3 members) pay $100 entry fee and meet for breakfast at a local resturant (breakfast included in the fee). After breakfast there is shotgun start. Contest ends at 3pm when all the teams meet back at a local pipeline companies shop for beer and nachos etc. cash prizes are given for 1) the first coyote delivered to the pipeline shop 2) the most coyotes per team 3) the ugliest coyote. It is an aboslute great time. last year the ugliest coyote winner was a road kill that had been run over several times and was flat as a pancake. Hey what the hell nobody said you had to shoot them. the coyotes are given to a local trapper.
That sounds like a blast! I'd so be down for a yote hunt.

cavebear
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
love to join the hunt just let me know where and when

dukester
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Sure but can we have it in Sask. or Alberta. Dink!:-D
i would love that forsure. enough dogs here for everyone. the drive would kill ya :mrgreen:

llloyd
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I would love to do this. I have a Foxpro Spitfire and a couple of rugers in .22/.223, just no idea what I'm doing!

bridger
01-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I would love to do this. I have a Foxpro Spitfire and a couple of rugers in .22/.223, just no idea what I'm doing!

have you had sucess withthe foxpro? just bought one and am anxious to try it this week end.

llloyd
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Haven't had a chance to try it yet but my dog likes it...