PDA

View Full Version : Trophy vs Meat hunting

CanadanHirvi
01-10-2010, 04:40 PM
What do you all think of this? I'm a meat hunter. Nothing like a nice fresh stake from an animal you've harvested. It's funny how hunting has become so much about the trophies. When you watch a hunting video, it's all about how big the antlers were. You gotta get the trophy to earn prestige among your peers.

KB90
01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I enjoy meat as much as the next guy, but living where I do I could go out on almost any day and find a 2 point to kill.

It's the challenge that a big buck offers, the antlers are just the reward.

yukon john
01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
A lot more people are trophy hunters than certain nonprofit organizations will admit, anyone who hunts goats,sheep or griz is a trophy hunter. Same with the guys who pass up any buck or bull in search of something bigger.

eaglesj
01-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I believe that trophy hunting antlered animals leads to a decrease in those large trophy animals in the future. I have heard many people say that here in the peace region, you will see many very large 4-5 point elk because regulations have required you to shoot 6 point or better for so long. Large antlers is related to genetics. Those that are not being hunted will have a better chance of passing genetics along. Shoot the small ones, and let those brutes breed for a few years. However, as a new hunter, I would shoot a big one if that's what I saw.

If you're arguing about ethical vs. non-ethical, you're going to be pointing too many fingers and starting fights. Trophy hunting is legal, why else would wolves, bears, and other animals that people don't eat get hunted.

This could be a very dangerous thread.

CanadanHirvi
01-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I guess people hunt fur bearing animals for the fur. I also eat bears, but not wolves. There is a movement going on trying to ban Grizzly hunting. I don't have a problem with grizzly hunting as it's regulated and people are making sure our children can still hunt them in the future.
My question is, would I rather shoot a young animal because the meat is better to eat, or an old animal because I can get a trophy? If it wasn't for the pressure of having the prestige, I would choose a young animal because it tastes better.

358mag
01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
A lot more people are trophy hunters than certain nonprofit organizations will admit, anyone who hunts goats,sheep or griz is a trophy hunter. Same with the guys who pass up any buck or bull in search of something bigger.
Well said in BC they call it selected hunting for residents or Trophy hunters for non residents go figure

jaywill
01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
trophy huntings fine by me, leaves me the tender stuff .

gwillim
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I try for a pragmatic middle ground. I am not keen to shoot a two pointer, simply because there isn't so much meat on one. I also don't apply myself to hunting down the biggest deer on the hillside either, as the meat may not be the best. During my short career as a hunter i have managed to get three deer, all in the 130 lb (dressed) range, each one with four points. They all tasted great, and fill up the freezer nicely!

bruin
01-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I would agree, I'm on the middle ground. I won't shoot a small animal at the beginning of the season because that uses up my tag for that area. I am definitely looking for meat by the end of the season if the freezers not full, bucks, does, whatever.

01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Certain non-profit groups are very concerned about the rapid decline in hunting and where that is going to lead us, and are thus very interested and supportive of strategies to recruit new hunters and retain existing older or less avid hunters. Recruitment and retention means we need entry level hunting opportunities to attract new hunters. Trophy hunting opportunites are less important when recruitment/retention is a high priority because they're not entry level opporunities.

That does not mean these certain non-profits are against trophy hunting by any means and you will find many trophy hunters amongst their membership. Trophy hunters are the most avid hunters and we don't need strategies to recruit trophy hunters, they are secure members of the hunting community, and in most cases they also support the recruitment and retention of less avid participants for the betterment of the sport.

Whether to hunt for trophies or meat, or both, is the choice of the individual and him/her alone, and hunters should not try to force their beliefs or values on others, just go and do their own thing. There are an infinite number of levels of selective hunting to the guy that will just hold off for a little bigger buck, to the guy that will only shoot book bucks. There is room for everyone to do their own thing regardless of their motivations, but the truth is we don't need to cater to avid and/or trophy hunters with trophy management regimes because we're not going to lose those folks, but we do need to encourage novices, and high opportunity management regimes do accomplish that.

We have horn curl regulations on sheep, antler point regulations on elk and mule deer, access management measures in place on many goat hunting areas, etc. All these make if difficult and daunting for many novices and even though these regulation were put in place for conservation reason, they end up catering to the more avid and trophy oriented hunter. If existing hunters as a whole are concered about the future of hunting we need to loosen up these regulations where possible, create entry level opportunites, and make it a little less daunting and a little more encouraging for the novice.

It's very unfortunate that the efforts of certain non-profits to recruit new hunters through development of entry level opportunities is interpreted by some as being anti-trophy hunting, nothing could be farther from the truth.

Mr. Dean
01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
At heart, I think 99% of us are trophy hunters, in one way or another.

boxhitch
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Just look at the threads on this site, and see the appreciation shown for the big trophies. Ooowing and aaawing, regardless of how the hunt came off. Everyone likes to see the big stuff, even if it is dead.
We all have a choice when to pull the trigger, thats the main issue.

Have watched a couple of old dusters in the last couple of weeks, and it is neat to see the trophy mounts on the saloon wall from something made in the 40's depicting the 1800's.
Large stags were selectively bred for by the czars centuries ago.
Trophy hunting will always be with us.

Blainer
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I enjoy meat as much as the next guy, but living where I do I could go out on almost any day and find a 2 point to kill.

It's the challenge that a big buck offers, the antlers are just the reward.Well put,that's why they call it hunting,not shooting.
I often explain that the meat that I harvest is the most expensive meat in my freezer.It is currently over $130 to fuel my truck,along with the other costs of hunting:accomodations,tags,shells,equipment,butche r, ect.,all add up to make the cost of the meat harvested very expensive.
My trip north for moose this year was over $1000 in fuel.
It's not all about the meat,it is the experience and thrill of the hunt combined with quality time with friends in the outdoors.

gutpile
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
i hunt becuse i love hunting and the out doors and not for the meat allthou i do eat what i kill but i perfer beef any day over wild game allthuo truning deer into sausage is pretty good.

Lillypuff
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
We better get our heads screwed on straight hunting is hunting and we shouldnt be bashing trophy hunting. Sheep and goats are all about the experience so sit and your truck drive around and shoot the 2 points

Will
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
What do you all think of this? I'm a meat hunter. Nothing like a nice fresh stake from an animal you've harvested. It's funny how hunting has become so much about the trophies. When you watch a hunting video, it's all about how big the antlers were. You gotta get the trophy to earn prestige among your peers.
What's funny is as Hunters we are still critiquing each other for our individual motives.

Who gives a crap why another hunter choses to do what he does ?

As long as he does it in a legal and fair chase manner mind your business:wink:

Black Bird
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I am in it for the meat. The only reason why I would pass up a deer is because it was too small. The size of the rack, while being an indicator of the size of the animal, is secondary to me.

Just my two bits - I am not looking to pass any sort of judgment on anyone else.

Cheers,
BB (who is now thinking about pulling some venison out of the freezer for tomorrow night's dinner...)

:-D

Gr8 white hunter
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
i hunt because i love to hunt, i take what i get ,i don't have little man syndrome

CanadanHirvi
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I like hunting as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't want to spend $1000 in fuel to do it. You can make hunting pay off in meat unless you are exclusively a trophy hunter. In the beginning especially though, you gotta pay your dues. If it was purely for the meat, I know 90% of us would be better off buying steaks.

CanadanHirvi
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
For the record, I'm not out to critique anyone here. Just curious about what you all think.

ChilliwackWinchester
01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I always laugh when a guy with a $70,000 truck is pulling a $6,000 trailer loaded with 2 $10,000 quads, and tries to convince you it's just about getting meat for the freezer.

Theres nothing wrong with hunting for the experience, so don't try to hide it!

Caveman
01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Call me a trophy hunter if you like. Yes, I pass a lot of bucks up in hopes to find that specimen that will end up on my wall, but I do use all the meat for family consumption. To me it is not the guy like myself that is the trophy hunter, it is the guy that pays copious amounts of money to be led to an animal he has no intention to consume but to take the cape, hide or antlers alone and display for bragging rights. The difference may be small but it is a choice many of us make. In passing on many bucks and taking a few trophy specimens will lead to the numbers to grow. I could easily take one every year, but instead eat Muledeer tag soup, and get one every few years allowing the numbers to grow. This being said, the ones I pass on have the chance to be a future trophy, breeding for years to come until he becomes that animal I may choose to take. In moose or elk hunting I have always taken the first legal animal, due to local restrictions or restricted time to hunt. As long as I am successful on these, I will continue to be selective on Muledeer. Goat and Sheep are consumed by many as well, so to say the hunter that pursues these is a trophy hunter is also false unless again the animal is not used to it's full extent. The management rules that call for a full curl or mature animal force the individual to take a trophy in an attempt to control the harvest numbers. IMHO anyway!!

snareman1234
01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I am a trapper, so pretty much a trophy hunter by definition

and an avid meat hunter, I shoot 2pts and spikes religiously. partly because I dont see enough 4 pts!!

Ambush
01-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I always laugh when a guy with a $70,000 truck is pulling a $6,000 trailer loaded with 2 $10,000 quads, and tries to convince you it's just about getting meat for the freezer
How about the guy with a rusty, '91 Toyota Camry that has to half his moose with a hand saw so he can get half in the trunk and the rest in the back seat. And he only hunts uphill from home so he can coast back to save fuel.:mrgreen:

I only know of one person that would shoot the smaller of two moose [or any big game] when presented with equal oppurtunity. He chooses based stictly on what will eat better. And he can well afford to hunt anywhere in the world.

Mr. Dean is correct. Deep down, most would like a trophy.

Caveman
01-10-2010, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=safarichris;600683]I have a hypothetical question based on following the hunting regulations?
What would you choose in lets say August or early Sep, if you came upon a big dry cow (making sure there is no nursing calf by side) and a 60’ Bull bedded down, both within shooting range? The meat would all be the same as both would be very fat. As a resident hunter, I believe it would be a personal choice. Is he happy with just filling the freezer, or does he also wish to look up at the antlers in the living room and reminisce the past.QUOTE]

I think this choice would make hypocrites of many "meat hunters" who have and will post on this subject. I know there would be no second guessing for me. The bull would be on the ground. Not to piss anyone off, but be honest with yourself.

frenchbar
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I could shoot a tender young spike ..why ..because i can ....or passup on spike for larger 4pt trophy..why ..because i can ..nice to have choices.

Blainer
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I like hunting as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't want to spend $1000 in fuel to do it. You can make hunting pay off in meat unless you are exclusively a trophy hunter. In the beginning especially though, you gotta pay your dues. If it was purely for the meat, I know 90% of us would be better off buying steaks.Not exactly sure how you can live in Abbotsford and make hunting pay off in meat?
How far away do you hunt?fuel?
How many days?
Do you butcher yourself?
Any wear and tear on the vehicle?tires,oil change?depreciation?
Any new equipment purchased?rifle,shell,binnoculars,ect?
and how many pounds after the butcher was that 2 point,50lbs,60lbs.
What would that meat cost you in Safeway,$150-$200.
Now,if you live in Ft.St John and hunt in your back yard,I can see it,but they don't have a 2 point season.:wink:

kennyj
01-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I like to hold out for bigger, older animals, and it has nothing to do with prestige. It allows me to spend more time doing what I love to do.
kenny

Kudu
01-10-2010, 06:24 PM
No matter how hard I try, my horns just have that certain Uhm - 'hardness" about them - anyone know a good recipe for softening them?

Of course its about trophies, switch on wild TV and watch those yahoos high fiving each other the second they count the points. Meat is meat and horns are horns - it is hard to be a meat hunter if you want horns - old animals are never as good as the young un's.

Caveman
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I always laugh when a guy with a $70,000 truck is pulling a $6,000 trailer loaded with 2 $10,000 quads, and tries to convince you it's just about getting meat for the freezer.

Theres nothing wrong with hunting for the experience, so don't try to hide it!

I'll admit I have the truck, trailer and 1 quad anyway, and will admit it is not all about the meat. I love the experience with my Dad, buddies, the sights and places many will never experience. The meat is no doubt a bonus. I work hard to get that bonus and love it.

To me the same can be said about a golfer or any other extra curricular activity. There is always a reason to do it and another for why you return. It may be the pursuit for the game in the 70's or some other sense of self accomplishment. In the end we all have our reasons to climb that mountain or run that trail, and for me it is for the chance to fill the freezer with friends and family. Memories that I can pass on to my kids or share on future trips

frenchbar
01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I like to hold out for bigger, older animals, and it has nothing to do with prestige. It allows me to spend more time doing what I love to do.
kenny

x2..im much the same mindset...more time wandering aimlessly through are great province:mrgreen:

ChilliwackWinchester
01-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I'll admit I have the truck, trailer and 1 quad anyway, and will admit it is not all about the meat. I love the experience with my Dad, buddies, the sights and places many will never experience. The meat is no doubt a bonus. I work hard to get that bonus and love it.

To me the same can be said about a golfer or any other extra curricular activity. There is always a reason to do it and another for why you return. It may be the pursuit for the game in the 70's or some other sense of self accomplishment. In the end we all have our reasons to climb that mountain or run that trail, and for me it is for the chance to fill the freezer with friends and family. Memories that I can pass on to my kids or share on future trips

I agree 150%. I can't imagine there's too many people out there who could successfully demonstrate that they do it purely for economical reasons. (maybe Dick Proenneke or a guide/outfitter)

My point is, don't be ashamed... be proud of it. I consider it a noble hobby no matter what your reasons are.

Ozone
01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
This year was first 2 bucks down, same as last year and the year before etc etc. As to what others do, not really my concern.

CanadanHirvi
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Not exactly sure how you can live in Abbotsford and make hunting pay off in meat?
How far away do you hunt?fuel?
How many days?
Do you butcher yourself?
Any wear and tear on the vehicle?tires,oil change?depreciation?
Any new equipment purchased?rifle,shell,binnoculars,ect?
and how many pounds after the butcher was that 2 point,50lbs,60lbs.
What would that meat cost you in Safeway,$150-$200.
Now,if you live in Ft.St John and hunt in your back yard,I can see it,but they don't have a 2 point season.:wink:

How much do you pay for meat if you buy it? average $3.00/lbs? if it's premium steaks its more by far. 60-70lbs from average deer = $200. Driving up chilliwack bench road and going for a little hike does not cost 200, no matter how you look at it. Even if you have to add $70 for a butcher, you are still at 100 for 200 worth of meat. Some people would easily pay twice that for "organic" (whatever that means) healthy meat.
I actually do prefer to butcher myself, as I take way more care of my cuts. Butchers have to make money, and at 70 for deer you gotta do it pretty fast to make any. It always shows in the cuts.
Moose or elk hunting from Abbotsford, you gotta go with a partner, share the cost of the trip, and you end up a little bit ahead. I'm not saying getting your hunting to pay for the meat is easy, only it can be done. Yes, you gotta have the initial investment in gear too, I know.

frenchbar
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I ditto what you and Kennyj said. That's where its all at.
Harvesting an animal is just a smallpart in the overall picture of why i hunt.wether i come home empty handed or with some game..its been a successful trip out.

wolverine
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I haven't read all the posts on this thread so excuse me if it's already been said. I have taken older animals with large racks and younger ones with smaller racks. It just depended upon what I was presented with at the time and if I needed to take something to put meat in the freezer. I don't go out intentionally to take an animal with a pre-determined rack size unless of course it's 4 point or better season. I take what is presented. However, that being said if I am hunting in an area where I know there are lots of two points... I may not take the first deer that I come across that is legal. I might hold out for something that has bigger bone but that's because it usually means more meat too. Bone is pretty but that's not my motivation for hunting. It's a bonus when it happens but not necessary. As far as younger animals being better eating I have eaten both young and old and really couldn't tell the diffenence based on age. Based on what they have been feeding on? ... okay, that's an entirely different story and one I think a lot of new hunters get confused with the age of the animal. Anyone that has ever eaten antalope or deer that's feeding on sage will tell you that. I don't trophy hunt per se although I would if I could get a draw for a grizzly. Other than that, they're all trophies and when look at the racks on my shop wall they remind me of the great time I had collecting each and every one of them.

ChilliwackWinchester
01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Driving up chilliwack bench road and going for a little hike does not cost 200, no matter how you look at it.

You have to consider though that the chances of you being able to harvest a deer in only one day trip to Chilliwack is small. Your probably going to average more in the range of 7 solid days per deer in region 2.

wjh131
01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that of all meat hunters out there, if a 200" monster steps out in front of you, you're not gonna pass it up because your strictly a meat hunter.

CanadanHirvi
01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I have a hypothetical question based on following the hunting regulations?
What would you choose in lets say August or early Sep, if you came upon a big dry cow (making sure there is no nursing calf by side) and a 60’ Bull bedded down, both within shooting range? The meat would all be the same as both would be very fat. As a resident hunter, I believe it would be a personal choice. Is he happy with just filling the freezer, or does he also wish to look up at the antlers in the living room and reminisce the past. With sheep I have never herd of shooting ewes, so there is only one choice. Sheep meat ( rams) is out of this world.

60' bull, because I am influenced by our culture, and because I could post pictures on this site and have people congratulate me. :-D
This year I shot a 400lbs cow standing next to a spike fork that was twice as big. Spike fork season had closed the day before... I would have rather shot the bull, because it would have meant more meat, but half of that cow complimented by a couple of deer is enough for the year, so in either case I won't have to buy store meat for another year. :)

gutpile
01-10-2010, 07:17 PM
let me put this in a different light or more like qestion? what about leaving some meat in the bush. and no i do not do that!!! but i wish we could at lest some portions specially when your hikeing in and out of an area. people think it's a wast,but i don't think so. nothing gets wasted in the wild athere animals will eat the left overs and when they are full they will not be hunting for next meal.

Alpine Addict
01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Antlers are just a bonus.

Blainer
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
How much do you pay for meat if you buy it? average $3.00/lbs? if it's premium steaks its more by far. 60-70lbs from average deer = $200. Driving up chilliwack bench road and going for a little hike does not cost 200, no matter how you look at it. Even if you have to add $70 for a butcher, you are still at 100 for 200 worth of meat. Some people would easily pay twice that for "organic" (whatever that means) healthy meat.
I actually do prefer to butcher myself, as I take way more care of my cuts. Butchers have to make money, and at 70 for deer you gotta do it pretty fast to make any. It always shows in the cuts.
Moose or elk hunting from Abbotsford, you gotta go with a partner, share the cost of the trip, and you end up a little bit ahead. I'm not saying getting your hunting to pay for the meat is easy, only it can be done. Yes, you gotta have the initial investment in gear too, I know.I see what you getting at,but driving up the bench road in Chilliwack is not exactly the experience I was talking about.Not to mention you may spend years between deer and I can almost promise you that you will never see a moose,elk,grizzly or a ram.
I do take a partner on most trips and the expenses are split,but so is the meat.
This is the experience I'm talking about.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44975 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44975)

ChilliwackWinchester
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
I see what you getting at,but driving up the bench road in Chilliwack is not exactly the experience I was talking about.Not to mention you may spend years between deer and I can almost promise you that you will never see a moose,elk,grizzly or a ram.
I do take a partner on most trips and the expenses are split,but so is the meat.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44975 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44975)

Can't view the video at work but I'm pretty sure I know what it's pertaining too. I think were definately talking about the same thing :-)

sceddy
01-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I was a brought up a meat hunter, but lately have been shooting some nice deer. I do pass on smaller ones, but that's to extend my season like KennyJ stated earlier. Getting of the Island towing a trailer, gas, food etc is costly, but for me it's all about getting out. This year I left the Island three times to hunt.

CanadanHirvi
01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
I see what you getting at,but driving up the bench road in Chilliwack is not exactly the experience I was talking about.Not to mention you may spend years between deer and I can almost promise you that you will never see a moose,elk,grizzly or a ram.

Sweet pictures. And yes, I know none of us hunt purely for the meat. In any case, When I first started, I was spending more money than what I could have bought from Save on, but now it's different, I actually end up ahead most years.

Gateholio
01-10-2010, 08:01 PM
If you retrieve the meat, you could say that a person is a meat hunter, regardless of species or size of animal.:mrgreen:

BimmerBob
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
What would you choose in lets say August or early Sep, if you came upon a big dry cow (making sure there is no nursing calf by side) and a 60’ Bull bedded down, both within shooting range? The meat would all be the same as both would be very fat. As a resident hunter, I believe it would be a personal choice. Is he happy with just filling the freezer, or does he also wish to look up at the antlers in the living room and reminisce the past. With sheep I have never herd of shooting ewes, so there is only one choice. Sheep meat ( rams) is out of this world.

Interesting hypothetical question Chris... I think I would shoot the bull and the interesting thing for me is of all the animals I have shot over the years the only antlers I have are from a 3x4 whitetail so that I can use them from rattling... So, I really should choose the dry cow as the horns mean almost nothing to me and there is no way I am going to get a mount done but I really do think I would shoot the bull.

Pretty strange though when I think about it... as for sheep meat and shooting sheep, so far have never had the opportunity and given my lack of conditioning probably never will unless I figure out a way to "beam me up Scotty".

Cheers, Bob

Vanman1985
01-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I like hunting as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't want to spend $1000 in fuel to do it. You can make hunting pay off in meat unless you are exclusively a trophy hunter. In the beginning especially though, you gotta pay your dues. If it was purely for the meat, I know 90% of us would be better off buying steaks.

This year I could have dropped a 2pt on opening day. For me this is a HOBBY something I'm passionate about doing, wether it costs 10$ or 1000$ I love to be out hunting. So yes time permitting, I will look for the animal with the biggest rack I can find and I will spend as much time looking as I can!

humble hunter
01-10-2010, 08:21 PM
The best case scenario for me, is that you go out in the early season and fill your freezer. then you can go out for the rest of the season and trophy hunt. I love seeing legal game animals (eg. a nice 4 x 3 in 4 pt season) letting it go because it is not what you are looking for. If my early season had not gone so well, then bang, it would be table fare. I chased a blacktail for 32 days straight right up to the 15th of dec. I saw a few other legal blacktails but wanted the one I was after. I guess I just love to hunt period! I probably would not have gone out every day if I did not know that the buck was there but that is what kept me going.

Cariboospeed
01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
First one was for the meat and to make the trip worthwhile.

Second was because he was big enough, and just stood there, mocking.

Third was because, sometimes you don't need to count points. ;) And I knew I was totally equipped to get him out.

Blainer
01-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Can't view the video at work but I'm pretty sure I know what it's pertaining too. I think were definately talking about the same thing :-)
I posted a clip of previous hunts and great experiences.
I'm thinking you think it is about the gong show that transpires up in Chilliwack with the garbage left behind,accidents,grad. camping,ect.?
Not the most pleasurable place to hunt at times.

ChilliwackWinchester
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm thinking you think it is about the gong show that transpires up in Chilliwack with the garbage left behind,accidents,grad. camping,ect.?

Actually I assumed it was a montage of some great hunting experiences you've had over the years. Funny you should mention the garbage though... I was hiking up past Foley Lake in Chilliwack yesterday and was commenting to a friend (non hunter) about the amount of beer cans/ bottles and other garbage that is completely littering the area. That crap really chaps my a$$.

Ambush
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Meat lasts a season.

Horns last a lifetime.

I like game meat. I like horns.

The only time I'm dissapointed hunting, is when I miss.

snareman1234
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I would have to say, hunting in chilliwack or near a major city in the lower mainland is not what I think of when I reflect on good hunting country and beauty.

I hunt and trap the chilliwack valley dont get me wrong. But the garbage left by people who think it is wilderness in the spring and fill up every roadside campsite is ridiculous.

I was coming home from fly fishing up foley lake last spring. 4 goons in 4 cars come flying up chilliwack lake road. A guy on a motor bike is in front of them and slows down. They dont see him, swerve into my lane, almost hit me, hit the guy on the motor bike, and then the car flips down the midde of the road and I end up going up somebodies driveway luckily, just missing a ditch and mailbox.

Lol so with the garbage, partiers and quad and bikers ripping up the valley I would hardly say it is pristine wilderness that elicits the strong feeling of nature and true hunting I like to think of.

OutWest
01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
For me it's the entire experience. I enjoy hiking into the mountains for a few days at a time. Getting to see places that many people will never get the chance to see. Watching animals in their natural environment. It's very enjoyable to get away from T.V., cell phones and computers. Harvesting an animal is a bonus. In saying that, I enjoy the challenge that taking a large bull or buck brings to the table. Just about anyone can drive down a FSR and shoot a spike or 2 point who will stand there looking at you while you get out of the truck. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that at all so I hope no one takes that the wrong way because it's just not how I or the people I hunt with do it.

Sitkaspruce
01-10-2010, 10:31 PM
let me put this in a different light or more like qestion? what about leaving some meat in the bush. and no i do not do that!!! but i wish we could at lest some portions specially when your hikeing in and out of an area. people think it's a wast,but i don't think so. nothing gets wasted in the wild athere animals will eat the left overs and when they are full they will not be hunting for next meal.

Then why did you shoot it if you were not going to use it??? No animal should be shot for food and then some "Portions" left because you are either too lazy to bring it all out, you do not like that cut or because you feel you need to feed the yotes and other critters of the forest. Yes nothing goes to waste, but if you shoot it, then you have an OBLIGATION to bring out all edible portions.

In the real world, if both tags were available, I would honestly shoot the bull, because I will get more atta boys on here and maybe my picture in BC Outdoors:mrgreen::wink:.

I have shot both and will do so again, same as does and cow elk. Moose and elk are meat for me and the old "If it has balls, it falls" will be used to judge those animals.(unless there is a stupid antler restriction on them:(:evil:)

I could shoot a tender young spike ..why ..because i can ....or passup on spike for larger 4t trophy..why ..because i can ..nice to have choices.

Ditto for me as well.

However, I will not shot spikes as I know there is enough bigger bucks around to fill the freezer. Once that is done, then antlers become my guiding light.

Filling the freezer is first before filling the wall space.....Right dear...:-D

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
01-10-2010, 10:56 PM

Bit of an over-generalization.

Demand for ewe LEHs is pretty high - are people hunting them for the cape and horns? Maybe a couple, but most aren't. Also talk to some of the managers from the 60s/70s and there were lots of residents, particularly in Region 6 that went out and shot a sheep, any sheep, for meat. There are still a few people who hunt goats for meat, but not too many in BC since it's principally on LEH. There are still quite a few in Alaska in areas where there are few or no moose.

You'll find plenty of hunters who won't shoot a spike buck but will shoot a 3 pts or a 2 pts because they have more meat. Run into guys who will not hunt or shoot mule deer in November because it's all 4 pts. Some guys will shoot 160+ bucks and throw the antlers away. Seen mounts of 2 pts.

You could use the reverse generalization for other organizations who say they need trophy only 'quality' opportunities and try to achieve that through regulations yet fill every cow/calf tag they get.

If wildlife was managed for a sustainable harvest where everybody got to hunt non of this would be an issue. You run into problems when a handful of people try to impress their beliefs or, probably more accurately, their belief as how hunting should be "because that's what I like", on others.

It isn't good for hunting and it isn't good for hunters.

ChilliwackWinchester
01-10-2010, 10:57 PM

OK, at home now so just saw the video... yeah, thats pretty cool. A lot of very nice animals there.
BTW is that a model 70 SS I saw there? Maybe a parker hale safari too?

CanadanHirvi
01-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Demand for ewe LEHs is pretty high - are people hunting them for the cape and horns? Maybe a couple, but most aren't. Also talk to some of the managers from the 60s/70s and there were lots of residents, particularly in Region 6 that went out and shot a sheep, any sheep, for meat. There are still a few people who hunt goats for meat, but not too many in BC since it's principally on LEH. There are still quite a few in Alaska in areas where there are few or no moose.

You'll find plenty of hunters who won't shoot a spike buck but will shoot a 3 pts or a 2 pts because they have more meat. Run into guys who will not hunt or shoot mule deer in November because it's all 4 pts. Some guys will shoot 160+ bucks and throw the antlers away. Seen mounts of 2 pts.

You could use the reverse generalization for other organizations who say they need trophy only 'quality' opportunities and try to achieve that through regulations yet fill every cow/calf tag they get.

If wildlife was managed for a sustainable harvest where everybody got to hunt non of this would be an issue. You run into problems when a handful of people try to impress their beliefs or, probably more accurately, their belief as how hunting should be "because that's what I like", on others.

thoughtful post. thanks.

Johnnybear
01-10-2010, 11:13 PM

Good post GG. One of the ones that rings a bell with me anyways FWIW.

The "wedge" is a dreaded thing that divides us hunters. To the OP. Don't let the trophy vs. meat thing get in our way of a common cause. Conservation, appreciation, and experience of the outdoors:-D.

01-10-2010, 11:17 PM
I am both a meat hunter and a trophy hunter. When it comes to elk, moose and whitetail, I'll shoot the first legal animal I see. With mule deer, I'm a trophy hunter - mostly because I've shot so many of them, and I prefer the taste of whitetail. If I did see a 180 class muley, though, he'd be down.

I also love grizzly hunting, but do not eat the meat. I am going sheep hunting next fall, and will end-up spending several thousand dollars to do it (going to hire a packer)....definately a trophy hunt.

I don't have any problem with trophy hunting.

BCrams
01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Filling my freezer with venision is a priority for me. When it comes to moose, I generally don't waste my time and usually get the moose out of the way pretty quick. First legal bull on a LEH goes down or spike / fork and the bulk of my harvest has been calf moose. (go figure when you only get drawn 3x in 20 years). Same with elk, first legal bull goes down. I've taken countless antlerless deer on the draw as well from the Peace. (hard to beat grain fed does are pretty damned good)

Sheep and bucks however, I really like getting outdoors and just hunting. It is too easy to shoot any buck and I am just happy to watch them while holding out for a mature animal (ok ok ok I usually like to work hard for big mature bucks ;)).

At the end of the day, I throw my full support 110% behind seasons and regulations in which support meat hunters first and formost. This includes recruiting new hunters. Even today, I do not believe in having point restrictions or restrictive seasons which cater to "trophy hunters" because the vast majority of people are meat hunters and these restrictive seasons only diminish their opportunity and often their will and desire to hunt. Removing these restrictions in no way diminishes opportunity for those who wish to still hunt for large mature animals should they choose to.

Johnnybear
01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Filling my freezer with venision is a priority for me. When it comes to moose, I generally don't waste my time and usually get the moose out of the way pretty quick. First legal bull on a LEH goes down or spike / fork and the bulk of my harvest has been calf moose. (go figure when you only get drawn 3x in 20 years). Same with elk, first legal bull goes down. I've taken countless antlerss deer on the draw as well from the Peace. (hard to beat grain fed does are pretty damned good)

Sheep and bucks however, I really like getting outdoors and just hunting. It is too easy to shoot any buck and I am just happy to watch them while holding out for a mature animal (ok ok ok I usually like to work hard for big mature bucks ;)).

At the end of the day, I throw my full support 110% behind seasons and regulations in which support meat hunters first and formost. This includes recruiting new hunters. Even today, I do not believe in having point restrictions or restrictive seasons which cater to "trophy hunters" because the vast majority of people are meat hunters and these restrictive seasons only diminish their opportunity and often their will and desire to hunt. Removing these restrictions in no way diminishes opportunity for those who wish to still hunt for large mature animals should they choose to.

I find it really nice to see guys that post such great photos of trophy animals to reply with great posts like these. Great post BCrams!!!

brian
01-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Antlers go in the garbage, meat goes in the freezer.

Its not about cost, its about learning essential skills to survive, its about reconnecting with the natural world on its own terms, its about getting out there and learning, its about getting out there and being, its about gathering meat on my own terms and not relying on others to grow it on their terms.

MadCat
01-11-2010, 01:05 AM
I got a question for all the meat hunters out there, will you honestly shoot the first buck that you see. I hear all this talk about 80% of hunter in bc are meat hunters but I have only met a few people that I can honestly say would shoot the first buck that they see. This is from there own mouth and by there actions. If you pass up 1 buck, dosen't this make you a selective hunter not a meat hunter. Just something to think about

gibblewabble
01-11-2010, 01:17 AM
I just want a nice full bodied animal and I dont care how big the rack is as long as it is legal. I took a small 2 point muley this year with my son so he could be in on it but normally I try for an animal that has some meat on it, but I always try to save one tag for a deer that is a challenge. In the Okanag/Koot area you could tag out easily if you shot every little buck you saw and then the season would be over, anyways if you dont challenge yourself you wont improve.

gibblewabble
01-11-2010, 01:25 AM
I got a question for all the meat hunters out there, will you honestly shoot the first buck that you see. I hear all this talk about 80% of hunter in bc are meat hunters but I have only met a few people that I can honestly say would shoot the first buck that they see. This is from there own mouth and by there actions. If you pass up 1 buck, dosen't this make you a selective hunter not a meat hunter. Just something to think about

No I wont shoot the first buck unless he has at least 60-70 pounds of meat on him, if I can drag him out by myself whole then its not a good use of my tag. The exception was this year or if its the last day.

22savage
01-11-2010, 01:50 AM
meat don;t have any good recipes for horns anyways

01-11-2010, 02:00 AM
How anyone could eat wild meat is beyond me? It's all about the trophies for me. Feed the meat to the dogs, and mount them antlers.

01-11-2010, 02:14 AM
I think it's almost impossible to catagorize hunters between trophy or meat hunters. I also think it might be a little divisive and dangerous to even try. Everyone has a different definition of a trophy or selective hunter. One's attitude also varies with the time of year and with the species pursued. One who holds out for mature animals might be classified a trophy hunter by one who shoots primarily for meat, he might even consider himself to be a trophy hunter, but he might not be thought of as a true trophy hunter by those whose only goal is to shoot book, or near book animals.

So I believe there is no clear cut defining line between trophy hunter, selective hunter or meat hunter (we all eat the meat), and I also believe many of us have completelly different definitions of trophy hunting..

If you use the mythical anti-hunters favorite definition of trophy hunters (those who just take the horns/antlers and abandon the meat) then none of us are trophy hunters. If you use the definition that one who passes up an animal once in a while is a trophy hunter, then most of us could be catagorized as trophy hunters.

Even predator hunters who don't eat or recover the meat are hard to classify, one will shoot the first legal animal they see, while another might hold out for a bigger one,,,,, while yet another might hold out for a book animal or nothing and this person might not feel the guy who shoots the first animal he sees is a true trophy hunter. Simply saying a person is a hide hunter does not necessarily mean he is a dedicated trophy hunter.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2010, 05:25 AM
I think it's almost impossible to catagorize hunters between trophy or meat hunters. I also think it might be a little divisive and dangerous to even try. Everyone has a different definition of a trophy or selective hunter. One's attitude also varies with the time of year and with the species pursued. One who holds out for mature animals might be classified a trophy hunter by one who shoots primarily for meat, he might even consider himself to be a trophy hunter, but he might not be thought of as a true trophy hunter by those whose only goal is to shoot book, or near book animals.

So I believe there is no clear cut defining line between trophy hunter, selective hunter or meat hunter (we all eat the meat), and I also believe many of us have completelly different definitions of trophy hunting..

If you use the mythical anti-hunters favorite definition of trophy hunters (those who just take the horns/antlers and abandon the meat) then none of us are trophy hunters. If you use the definition that one who passes up an animal once in a while is a trophy hunter, then most of us could be catagorized as trophy hunters.

Even predator hunters who don't eat or recover the meat are hard to classify, one will shoot the first legal animal they see, while another might hold out for a bigger one,,,,, while yet another might hold out for a book animal or nothing and this person might not feel the guy who shoots the first animal he sees is a true trophy hunter. Simply saying a person is a hide hunter does not necessarily mean he is a dedicated trophy hunter.

I was going to reply to this thread after reading halfway through it. You saved me some time, Andy....and put it much better that I could have.

I hate labels. WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much grey area in between.

Bottom line is if my freezer is not full enough at the end of the season to last me through to the next fall, it wasn't a successful season...even if I was lucky enough to get one good animal.

SSS

hunter1947
01-11-2010, 06:36 AM
For me its not at all about getting a trophy in all my years hunting.

I have always been a firm believer to take the first animal that is legal when you have a tag for it.

There has been many of times when I do shot the first I see that it has got a good set of antlers on its head ,there also has been times when the animal has small antlers on it head ,meats ,meat and I will take it.

In the last 12 years if your hunting elk ,the elk management has given you a better chance on upping your odds on getting a trophy elk when they implemented the 6 point season 12 years ago in the EK ,a lot of 6 point bulls are caring a good size rack http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

pnbrock
01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I am a trophy hunter who gets a steak for a reward after a successful hunt!

boxhitch
01-11-2010, 08:44 AM
........So I believe there is no clear cut defining line between trophy hunter, selective hunter or meat hunter (we all eat the meat), and I also believe many of us have completelly different definitions of trophy hunting..
Labels can tend to be damaging as they creat division amongst the many. GOABC is further trying to build a sector of 'resident hunters seeking a quality hunt' in their efforts to keep hunters out of the woods. Bad idea.

Most every hunter appreciates a trophy class animal in any species, and most will choose to display these. whether the hunt was a trophy-only effort or it was a gimme. Different reasons for mounting game is the basis of taxidermists being as busy as they are.

How easy would the job of game management be if the managers did their job based on science, instead of input from public consultation ?
Divided we fall .....

BuriedByTheDead
01-11-2010, 09:25 AM
MEAT! if its there and its legal its getting shot :) only hunt deer and moose so yeah...

behemoth
01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
As a beginning hunter, meat is usuallly the biggest priority
Then a few years go by, and you realize you shoot a 2 point every year. Pretty soon you are running into that 2 point on Sept 15th. Because you love hunting so much, you pass on it and become a "trophy hunter"

Fraink
01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I love the meat, it is lean and chemical free. We are now dining on Bison, most likely the finest meat I have eaten.

We all hunt for our own reasons and as long as we do it ethically and legally then the whole "trophy VS meat hunting discussion " should just be an interesting discussion not an argument.

MichelD
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Hunting used to be a subsistence activity for me. My father wouldn’t even go out until the rut started, make one or two trips about 10 miles from Port Hardy and that would be it. I went with him from an early age and shot my first deer at 17 in 1970.

I used to live on an island and my experience was similar there, with hunting just a short drive into the slashes in the middle of the island and on one occasion I shot a deer just a short walk into the forest from my cabin.

That’s changed since I moved to the city in 1985. It’s become kind of a bad habit now. Trips are longer and meat is cheaper in the store. Where all these easy two-points are guys are talking about I’d like to know. I sure would have liked to have seen one this past season during three major trips and three day trips I made in 2008 to regions 2, 3, 5, 8 and 7.

Sitting on the Skytrain New Year’s Eve there was this young guy behind us talking to his friends saying he was going to get his firearms licence and hunting licence so he could go get some free meat.

They were kind of engaged in conversation but I would have liked to tell him about my longest meat hunting trip in region 7 with stops in 5 on the way up and back down.

I drove to 7-11 and back after moose and deer in October this year and came back with one grouse.

I haven't fully calculated my gas expenses, never mind food and time off work, but roughly figuring six tanks of gas, in fuel alone my 1.25 pound ruffed grouse cost me $264.00 a pound.

I got two cheaper ones in 8-5 earlier in the year. They were two-pound blue grouse and worked out to $42.25 a pound.

CanadanHirvi
I drove to 7-11 and back after moose and deer in October this year and came back with one grouse.

I haven't fully calculated my gas expenses, never mind food and time off work, but roughly figuring six tanks of gas, in fuel alone my 1.25 pound ruffed grouse cost me $264.00 a pound.

I got two cheaper ones in 8-5 earlier in the year. They were two-pound blue grouse and worked out to $42.25 a pound.

haha this is awesome. Us hunters sure eat like kings! Who else spends $260/lbs on meat?

Hombre
I have arrived at a stage in my life where I know where ,when,and how to
take animals legally of course.There have been a few years that the only
trophies I've taken home are pictures and great memories.

For me finding new areas to explore, or new animals to hunt is what its
all about.Love the meat, love the trophy that comes every so often,but
what I love the most is the adventure.

GoatGuy
01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
How easy would the job of game management be if the managers did their job based on science, instead of input from public consultation ?

That's the one.

goatdancer
01-11-2010, 12:07 PM
What's funny is as Hunters we are still critiquing each other for our individual motives.

Who gives a crap why another hunter choses to do what he does ?

As long as he does it in a legal and fair chase manner mind your business:wink:

Now that's the truth.

goatdancer
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that of all meat hunters out there, if a 200" monster steps out in front of you, you're not gonna pass it up because your strictly a meat hunter.

I'd imagine that there would be quite a bit on him.

Bow Walker
01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
To my way of thinking "trophy" hunting is sort of like putting self-imposed limits on what you will shoot. I'm a meat hunter - in that if it's legal, I'll take it. But having shot a few, I now find myself looking for more of a "trophy" to go with that meat.

A true "trophy hunter" wants only the head - not the meat. Trophy hunters either do not eat the meat at all.

gibblewabble
01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I am a hunter as all of you on here are, meat and antlers are an added bonus to being outdoors, as long as you hunt within the law I will be happy to be in your presence. There are only 3 categories for me Anti's, Poachers and my brethren the HUNTER's, and in my eyes we are the best group to be in no matter what your goal is, just dont waste the meat. I feed the rib's/ leg bones from my deer to the dogs they love it, I dont and I give meat to my cousin who has Crohns disease and has been told by his doctor no beef all game for red meat, there is a hungry family in every town.

01-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Really good point Bill.

ElkMasterC
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
They're all trophies.
I just don't mount 'em all. ;-)

gibblewabble
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
They're all trophies.
I just don't mount 'em all. ;-)
That ends the debate for me and I couldnt have said it better.:wink:

cloverphil
01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
it's all about the meat, I don't know anyone that hunts for trophy's, they usually leave the head in the bush and keep the nut sack attached for the ride home

OutWest
01-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I love the meat, it is lean and chemical free. We are now dining on Bison, most likely the finest meat I have eaten.

We all hunt for our own reasons and as long as we do it ethically and legally then the whole "trophy VS meat hunting discussion " should just be an interesting discussion not an argument.

Well said. Too many times the hunting community is divided instead of bonding together.

01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
The term Trophy hunter is miss understood by way to many People.

To me, my Trophies are likely not trophies to others. There not record breaking specimens, Yet several will grace my Hemmingway Lodge forever. I grew up thinking Trophy hunters lop the head, antlers or horns off an animal and leave the rest including all meat or portions that should be taken out by the law. I have gone on many successful hunts for Goat, Sheep, Deer, Moose and Elk Caribou and taken the Horns, antlers and EVERY edible part out. There is NO excuse for any one leaving any meat, I don't care how far in you are or not. If you can't take it all then you shouldn't be shooting in the first place.
EG. We hunt far back alpine basins for a lot of these creatures but we know it is unlikely to kill more then one between two hunters ..... unless your returning for a second trip or more. Yes we eat some while there but that portion hardly makes a difference in ones back back.
If your leaving ANY edible portion behind but taking out the horns, antlers or cape I hope your sick with yourself ...... because you should be.

CT

brian
01-11-2010, 06:54 PM

As long as the amount of meat on the animal will be worth the effort of hauling it out of the bush and spending all the time butchering it. Some small bucks just don't have enough meat on them to justify it all. But otherwise yeah, if it has a big enough body I wouldn't pass it up. You can still be a selective meat hunter.

115 or bust
01-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I hunt because I love hunting period. I was reading a book the other day that perfectly described the kind of hunter I am a selective hunter. I hunt for animals that will be personal trophy's to me and hold meaning in the acheivement. I grew up eating only wild game, fish and home grown chickens and to this day very rarely buy meat from the store. When I was a kid my trophy was any buck with 2 points or more. And I was estatic when an opportunity arose to harvest one. Now as I get older and gain experience and skill in the bush I see deer like that every time out. I have reached a point where if given two days I can guarentee that I can take a buck but I might go a year and only have one opportunity at a trophy. To just go out and shoot a deer gives me no more pleasure than killing chickens or slaughtering a pig. It is just work and I don't really like killing all that much even though hunting is the driving passion in my life (just ask my wife lol) I subscribe the Ortega y gaseetes philosophy of "One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." (Fancy pants talk for what Kenny J said If I don't shoot it I get to hunt more and dream about getting that big one)
These days I eat sleep and dream about taking big bucks because they are the oldest and wileyest (and the antlers look pretty darn cool too). When I get the chance to take one It is a remarkable rush and a very emotional experience (I imagine its sort of like how an olympic medalist feels on the podium). The definition of a trophy is flexible though and come the last week of the season its on for that 2 point that in september I would have just sat in the sun watching suddenly once again takes on that excitement and challenge again because the countdown is on.

115 or bust
01-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I forgot to mention antlers are like little portals back to past hunts, my dad and I can sit in the basement for hours passing back and forth racks from previous years and reminicing about past hunts and looking forwards to next years.

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Does this season that my buddies and I had look like trophy hunting to you?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM0860.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM0871.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM0904.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM0924.jpg