PDA

View Full Version : One shot practising...

Bow Walker
01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Who practises shooting just one shot at a time for bow hunting? I don't mean only shooting one shot then going out there... I mean practising by putting that 'first shot' right in the heart - and doing it 'cold', instead of warming up with 15 or 20 shots first.

I recently read an article about this very topic and it got me re-thinking the way I practice for hunting.

Basically the article was expounding on the "One shot only" method of practice. What it meant was picking up your bow (compound or traditional) and shooting only one shot from the average distance that you would normally shoot at game from. Say 15 - 20 yards (or so).

Shooting with cold muscles, and only one shot, is like it is in the field. You don't get to have 15 - 20 practice shots before taking the 'killing' shot at your game so why not practice using only one shot?

You could even do it after some exercise so that you would simulate conditions of the hunt - like having your heart rate up there and puffing like a steam engine to boot. Try holding on a tiny little spot of the vitals while your heart is beating wildly and you're blowing like a horny bull surrounded by cows. It ain't easy.

The author of the article had his target set up and had his bow ready to go. He was 'working' around the house/yard and every time he passed his bow he would pick it up and shoot one shot at the target - trying for that perfect kill-shot.

Sometimes he'd be steady and other times he'd be puffing and blowing like a steam engine. Of course the results varied but, by practising this way, he soon got better at the off hand, one shot method of killing his target.

Something to make you think, that's for sure.

peashooter
01-10-2010, 12:52 PM
yeah i do, makes it more realistic. i leave my stuff in the mud room and when i take the dog out i go and shoot my 3 into the 10 ring (ya right) then we go in till next time.

MikeH
01-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Who practises shooting just one shot at a time for bow hunting? I don't mean only shooting one shot then going out there... I mean practising by putting that 'first shot' right in the heart - and doing it 'cold', instead of warming up with 15 or 20 shots first.

I recently read an article about this very topic and it got me re-thinking the way I practice for hunting.

Basically the article was expounding on the "One shot only" method of practice. What it meant was picking up your bow (compound or traditional) and shooting only one shot from the average distance that you would normally shoot at game from. Say 15 - 20 yards (or so).

Shooting with cold muscles, and only one shot, is like it is in the field. You don't get to have 15 - 20 practice shots before taking the 'killing' shot at your game so why not practice using only one shot?

You could even do it after some exercise so that you would simulate conditions of the hunt - like having your heart rate up there and puffing like a steam engine to boot. Try holding on a tiny little spot of the vitals while your heart is beating wildly and you're blowing like a horny bull surrounded by cows. It ain't easy.

The author of the article had his target set up and had his bow ready to go. He was 'working' around the house/yard and every time he passed his bow he would pick it up and shoot one shot at the target - trying for that perfect kill-shot.

Sometimes he'd be steady and other times he'd be puffing and blowing like a steam engine. Of course the results varied but, by practising this way, he soon got better at the off hand, one shot method of killing his target.

Something to make you think, that's for sure.

Yup I do the same one shot practices.If the first doesn't count then the other 2 are useless.

He was 'working' around the house/yard and every time he passed his bow he would pick it up and shoot one shot at the target - trying for that perfect kill-shot.
Least I'm not the only one:mrgreen:

hardnocks
01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
I like to shoot groups...oneshot groups all over the place.

not really i shoot like that...even when i go to a 3d shoot most times i will not warm up.

Big Lew
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I can only practice out in the woods. I set up my large mobile target, step back at an average range, take one shot, move either forward or back, and take another shot, and repeat this for about 5 different shots. After this exersize, I shoot groups of 5 before moving. In the area I practice, I can shoot flat, uphill, or down hill, and use the same method on each.

peterrum3
01-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes, i practice with that method, doing chores around the yard and I will take a few single shots throughout the day especially as it gets closer to Sept. 1. I find it to be a good method of letting you know if you are ready.

Awishanew
01-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Bow Walker. Another thing you might try is shoot at a target ie: a sac stuffed with plastic and have no spots marked on it then you pick where you want to hit. It is alot easier to shoot a target with spots. Its good training for deer hunting.

Bow Walker
01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Dennis - I've got a couple coffee sacks stuffed full of plastic shopping bags that I use for targets. They are printed (about 4" letters) with the type of coffee and country of origin, so it's easy to "pick a spot" on them.

I also have (courtesy of Mr. S. Claus) a Bull Dog target - it's the Doghouse - and it has nice little bulls eyes on each side. Plenty of spots to aim at.

On another note....

Yesterday I went up into my hunting grounds to both exercise the dog and to do some stump shooting with my long bow. I had been getting fairly decent results in the backyard, so I figured to take a walk on the wild side.

Well, it's a humbling experience. After a few hits on stumps from 15 - 20 yards I shot at the butt-end of a log from about 25 - 28 yards distance. The arrow went a tad high and skipped off the top of the log, caroming up into the sky and travelling about another 50 yards down-range.

Of course I watched carefully where the arrow landed but when I got up there, the area was a thick patch of brambles and thorn-covered shrubs about 12 feet tall. I spent the better part of an hour looking for my arrow - without any success. There goes another $15 lesson up the spout!

I'm going back there (when it quits raining hard) equipped with a hatchet, a set of pruning shears and some heavy gloves. I hate losing arrows!

Chuck
01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I shoot my slingshot this way and am surprised at my results. When I go bowling, I use the same method. I've found that the harder I try to improve by thinking too much about what it is I'm trying to accomplish - then the worse I get at it. Purely instinctive works for me. Ya, just look and let go; it even just feels better too.

Bow Walker
01-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I shoot my slingshot this way and am surprised at my results. When I go bowling, I use the same method. I've found that the harder I try to improve by thinking too much about what it is I'm trying to accomplish - then the worse I get at it. Purely instinctive works for me. Ya, just look and let go; it even just feels better too.
"Look and go" that seems to be the way I get the best results from my long bow too. I'm sorta "teaching myself as I shoot" and it's a bit of a slow process, but it's an enjoyable one.

I look at the target - stare at the spot that I want to hit - raise the bow, draw back and let go. More often than not, I get within 8 - 10 inches of where I wanted. All this is at about 15 yards though. I gotta work on it a whole lot more!

Onesock
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
BW. I think Denniy is saying to practise on bags/targets without any spots so you have to pick an imaginery spot, the same as when you are shooting at a deer/bear/elk/whatever.

Bow Walker
01-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I went back and re-read the post. Shoulda read a bit more carefully the first time!

But the important thing is practice, practice, and more practice...I've got it in the back of my mind that I'd like to do a 3D shoot using my long bow.

Ambush
01-11-2010, 12:36 PM
If it's any consolation to you BW, here's what a local shop owner and trad shooter told me. I was looking to buy replacement vitals for some of my 3D critters and inquired while at his shop. No go.
He said he sells most of his 3D targets to trad shooters and they don't hit the vitals often enough to wear them out. But he did sell a rear section once.:mrgreen:

{poster runs, while ducking flaming, cedar arrows}

Onesock
01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
BW-You are more than welcome to join us at any 3-D shoot. We might even learn somthin from ya. Oh yea, bring your longbow!!!!

Bow Walker
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
If it's any consolation to you BW, here's what a local shop owner and trad shooter told me. I was looking to buy replacement vitals for some of my 3D critters and inquired while at his shop. No go.
He said he sells most of his 3D targets to trad shooters and they don't hit the vitals often enough to wear them out. But he did sell a rear section once.:mrgreen:

Ha ha...ain't it the truth!!

BW-You are more than welcome to join us at any 3-D shoot. We might even learn somthin from ya. Oh yea, bring your longbow!!!!
Kirk, I'd love to shoot with you guys, but I've got a lot of practicing to do first.

greybark
01-11-2010, 04:32 PM

:wink: Hey Ambush , I thought all "Trad " 3-d targets came with front sections at both ends to compensate .:-D

Grantmac
01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Bow Walker:
If your going to be shooting your stick inside 30yds at stumps then you really owe it to yourself to fletch-up a few with flu-flus. 3-feathers with no helical are damn near identical to shooting 5" regular fletches inside 30yds, when you miss they don't travel as far and they are super tolerant of release.

I've just gone to 3" straights on my target arrows and they have done two things:
Shown me that I'm really close to under-spined.
Let me make a couple of 1st shot bag hits past 50yds, very satisfying.

Come on out and shoot a couple 3Ds with the stick, it's not like you've got to track 'em.

-Grant

MikeH
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I use to shoot flu flus off my compound for chickens!can't anymore cause of whisker biscuit.

jrjonesy
01-12-2010, 08:24 PM

I read the same article and it definitely is a good point. I think of it as a way to add to practice though, not a way to change practice. I think there's still benefit to 30 to 45 arrow sessions as long as you're concentrating on every shot so that you're not committing bad habits to muscle memory (rather good ones). The longer sessions also help with getting into shape so that you can draw your bow easier and hold at full draw for longer. I'll often go out and shoot 3 arrows in the back yard, making sure not only that the first one counts but the 2nd and 3rd also.

To me, the very notion of being able to 'make the first arrow count' is a mental ability, not a physical one. When you take that first shot, no matter how many times you've practiced it as such, your muscles will be cold....I think it's training yourself to go through all of your "checklists" (as condensed as they may be) before actually taking that shot that really pays dividends.

nomad
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I also like the one shot method (using recurve). Gives me a good idea how the rest of my practise is doing. If a single shot is out then start practising... If it's on then leave and try it again later. 3D types of setups are still my favourite only one shot per target and all different positions just like hunting!

Bow Walker
01-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Bow Walker:
If your going to be shooting your stick inside 30yds at stumps then you really owe it to yourself to fletch-up a few with flu-flus. 3-feathers with no helical are damn near identical to shooting 5" regular fletches inside 30yds, when you miss they don't travel as far and they are super tolerant of release.
I hear you Grant, loud and clear. I 'mis-placed' an arrow day before yesterday while out exercising the pooch. It deflected off the butt-end of a log (mis-judged the distance) and carried on for about 30 yards. I say mis-placed because I have a good idea where it is - I just need some heavy gloves 'cause it's in a bramble patch.

I've just gone to 3" straights on my target arrows and they have done two things:
Shown me that I'm really close to under-spined.
Let me make a couple of 1st shot bag hits past 50yds, very satisfying.

Come on out and shoot a couple 3Ds with the stick, it's not like you've got to track 'em.
I do intend to shoot some 3D this year - I just need to practice a whole hellova lot more!
-Grant

I read the same article and it definitely is a good point. I think of it as a way to add to practice though, not a way to change practice. I think there's still benefit to 30 to 45 arrow sessions as long as you're concentrating on every shot so that you're not committing bad habits to muscle memory (rather good ones). The longer sessions also help with getting into shape so that you can draw your bow easier and hold at full draw for longer. I'll often go out and shoot 3 arrows in the back yard, making sure not only that the first one counts but the 2nd and 3rd also.

To me, the very notion of being able to 'make the first arrow count' is a mental ability, not a physical one. When you take that first shot, no matter how many times you've practiced it as such, your muscles will be cold....I think it's training yourself to go through all of your "checklists" (as condensed as they may be) before actually taking that shot that really pays dividends.
This one-shot practice is in addition to 'volumn' shooting. I think that both types of practice have their strong points. One for Off-handed, cold muscle accuracy - and the other to practice form and to instill good habits into muscle memory....not to mention fine-tuning the equipment.

One-shot practice also teaches the shooter to concentrate and to aim small...that is to "pick-a-hair-and-put-her-there!", something that I find very hard to do in heat of the moment.