PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Reg. 8 for this year?

peterrum3
01-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Has anyone got information about any changes to the season in Reg. 8 for the upcoming season. I heard from a CO that they were looking to extend the bow season for WT to later in Dec.

J_T
01-09-2010, 08:00 AM
I believe the regs for WTD have been written. GG or FD will likely be able to provide you with a more accurate response. Mine would simply be hearsay.

boxhitch
01-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Lots of new proposals have gone in, check with your club rep, they should have the info. Some are even being considered seriously

Fisher-Dude
01-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Yes, there has been a proposal submitted to Victoria to put the WT season back to Nov 30 for GOS where it used to be, and then extend bow only from Dec 1 - 20, effectively synchronizing with region 4.

The bow hunters that I consulted when we drafted this plan told me that there have been many years lately where they didn't get the snow they wanted in the Nov 25 - Dec 10 season, and were hoping to hunt a bit later in December. So, if we can get it passed, they will get to hunt 10 extra days in December! :smile:

Fisher-Dude
01-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Lots of new proposals have gone in, check with your club rep, they should have the info. Some are even being considered seriously

See this thread (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42842)for all details.

SHAKER
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
As a rep for the Southern Interior Houndsmen assc. we did not suport any lengthening of a Cougar "Kill" season here in region 8. This was something that the ministry is pushing for. The new BCWF reply letter from Victoria said they want to extend the season at the end? Also not even discussed with us. Way too much non comunication for from MOE in our opinion.

358mag
01-09-2010, 04:03 PM
As a rep for the Southern Interior Houndsmen assc. we did not suport any lengthening of a Cougar "Kill" season here in region 8. This was something that the ministry is pushing for. The new BCWF reply letter from Victoria said they want to extend the season at the end? Also not even discussed with us. Way too much non comunication for from MOE in our opinion.
Who is the Southern Interior Houndsmen Assc. ?????? and how many of you are there ???
I love the new cougar season give us resident hunters a chance for a cougar when were out late season deer hunting not all of us BC resident hunters have cougar hounds.

Fisher-Dude
01-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Who is the Southern Interior Houndsmen Assc. ?????? and how many of you are there ???
I love the new cougar season give us resident hunters a chance for a cougar when were out late season deer hunting not all of us BC resident hunters have cougar hounds.

This early season is taylor made for the guide outfitters to sell add-on cat hunts to foreigners. It is not supported by region 8 of the BCWF. We support pursuit-only in November to locate cats before the GOS. Resident hunters stand to lose to increased non-resident kill by GO add-on hunts.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-09-2010, 07:16 PM

I like the opportunity to whack a cat out of my treestand during the end of the whitetail rifle season....BUT...I have a friend that who runs hounds and he won't run them in popular bow hunting areas until the bow season is done.
I crossed a big fresh cat track while out near the end of the archery season, phoned him but he wouldn't even consider it.
I would hope the GO's would do the same.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
01-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I would hope the GO's would do the same.

SSS

Ha! Not bloody likely they care about a resident's deer hunt when they are out with a client.

Suggestions for a resident only early cat season have fallen on deaf ears.

SHAKER
01-11-2010, 11:18 AM

I think we have 18 members as of now. SIHA is a local club and a member club of the BCWF. I agree with you on the "chance" incounter opertunity in sort of.... to dig further in this though our club position was to reduce the # of female cat getting harvested and to increase our population to where it is healthy again. The chance incounter leads to a very good chance that you may harvest a female, potentialy with kittens or young adults which can really lead to problems later (depredation on live stock, human conflict ect). We definatly were not trying to hamper the resident hunter in any way in our efforts. If you want more info you can PM me and I can get you in touch with our club president or I can help answer some of your conserns.

F-D is right though, the early season was a GO selling feature since most of our resident cat hunting doesn't even get enough snow to run untill december. This is a selling feature combo for late moose hunts or a lynx combo thing.

358mag
01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
I think we have 18 members as of now. SIHA is a local club and a member club of the BCWF. I agree with you on the "chance" incounter opertunity in sort of.... to dig further in this though our club position was to reduce the # of female cat getting harvested and to increase our population to where it is healthy again. The chance incounter leads to a very good chance that you may harvest a female, potentialy with kittens or young adults which can really lead to problems later (depredation on live stock, human conflict ect). We definatly were not trying to hamper the resident hunter in any way in our efforts. If you want more info you can PM me and I can get you in touch with our club president or I can help answer some of your conserns.

F-D is right though, the early season was a GO selling feature since most of our resident cat hunting doesn't even get enough snow to run untill december. This is a selling feature combo for late moose hunts or a lynx combo thing.
You have any stats to what the kill harvest is re male to female cougars residents to non resident would be nice to see that not trying to stir the pot but ??

Fisher-Dude
01-12-2010, 11:16 PM
You have any stats to what the kill harvest is re male to female cougars residents to non resident would be nice to see that not trying to stir the pot but ??

It depends on the year, and there is variability due to low harvest numbers, but generally (last 20 years) residents shoot about 60% males/40% females, and non-residents shoot about 70% males/30% females. In years where harvest was higher, both res and non-res shot higher than normal percentages of females. The trend in the past few years has been for both groups to shoot way lower female percentages than 10 - 15 years ago. Harvest overall is way down from 10 years ago.

SHAKER
01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
It depends on the year, and there is variability due to low harvest numbers, but generally (last 20 years) residents shoot about 60% males/40% females, and non-residents shoot about 70% males/30% females. In years where harvest was higher, both res and non-res shot higher than normal percentages of females. The trend in the past few years has been for both groups to shoot way lower female percentages than 10 - 15 years ago. Harvest overall is way down from 10 years ago.

These #'s are right on the money F-D. As I'm getting warned I might be getting sucked in on this discussion but the truth is truth:
Res. Male 14
res. Fem. 5

non res. male 25
non res. fem. 5

Are these numbers acurate? who knows...... I get different sets every time.
These were the numbers from Victoria. But apperently some of you might have already known this :twisted:.

Gunner
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Shaker,I'm wondering about illegal guiding for cats as well,we both know thats been happening up our way for a few years now,is it happening down south as well? Gunner

Stone Sheep Steve
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
These #'s are right on the money F-D. As I'm getting warned I might be getting sucked in on this discussion but the truth is truth:
Res. Male 14
res. Fem. 5

non res. male 25
non res. fem. 5

Are these numbers acurate? who knows...... I get different sets every time.
These were the numbers from Victoria. But apperently some of you might have already known this :twisted:.

Do you have those same stats but from 2000-2003??

SSS

Fisher-Dude
01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Do you have those same stats but from 2000-2003??

SSS

Resident male/female

2000 41/42
2001 27/24
2002 17/17
2003 11/16

Non-resident male/female

2000 49/22
2001 37/27
2002 19/10
2003 31/13

SHAKER
01-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Shaker,I'm wondering about illegal guiding for cats as well,we both know thats been happening up our way for a few years now,is it happening down south as well? Gunner

I don't think that is the problem here, the problem is no cats to run. I won't even go with someone unless they are one of my long time hunt'n friends. Just too easy to get a rumour going.

Speaking of rumours: Contrary to what people are saying, I HAVE NOT KILLED A COUGAR THIS SEASON. I've only been out twice and havn't even run a dog yet this year nor last season did I tree a cat. Just to set the record strait for anyone who may have heard other wise.

F-D, seems your quick on them #'s! good thing cause my fileing system is rather questionable.