PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Tipi info

budismyhorse
01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Since I posted a picture of my recently aquired Tipi in use, many members have emailed me to get some info about this particular set up and my experience with it thus far.....so many that I figured this may be the easiest way to get some info out.

This isn't intended to be a debate, and I would hope fellas with negative comments (unless you have experience using this product) would kindly keep it to themselves (however this is a free world).

I purchased this outfit (4 person tipi with small stove) at the beginning of September and used it on three different pack trips using my horses. The driving reason for me was the small size of the tent and stove when compared to a typical wall tent and wood stove used for horse packing. This way I can outfit 3-4 people and still have at least one riding horse in the case that we harvest something (I usually go with 2 riding horses and 1 pack horse). That means my entire rig, food and bedrolls all go on one pack horse....impossible using a typical wall tent.

The other reason is to use it for late season backpack trips (into late october/november) where a wood stove just makes it a little more comfortable and easier to dry things out instead of huddling around a fire and then straight into a sleeping bag.

Overall I was very pleased with the size and design of the product. 2 hunters have plenty of room for gear, wood and cooking.....when you start to add people, you just keep your gear outside and store your wood either outside or stacked near the stove. You could sleep 4 men if you really wanted to, but it would be tight, you'd realistically want the bigger tipi if you are outfitting 4 guys most of the time....but for a night or two...you can make it work. 3 or less is perfect.

The tent weighs 4.5 pounds (with stakes and pole) and the stove weighs 3.5 pounds (with everything, you can shave half a pound if you leave out the case).

During strong winds, the tent hardly moves....it is actually designed to be very aerodynamic and you hardly notice the wind untill you open a door. The walls go tight to the ground and absolutely no wind gets under and into the tent. This also ensures no rain or bugs gets into the tent either....which is nice.

I didn't use it in heavy rain so I can't comment. It is designed extremely well, so I would imagine it isn't a problem. Maybe some comes in the stove hole, but that is standard for any wall tent.

Moisture does build up inside the tent as typical of any single wall structure. However, the stove burns most of the moisture instantly in the morning when you fire it up.

The Stove is meant for hot burning for cooking and heating while you are awake, it is NOT meant for banking and slowly burning all night. You still have to have a good bag as after the tent burns out, you are on your own until morning when you can reach over and light it again. Typically you get 1 hour of burning with a stove full of good dry wood and 30 mins using damp or wet wood.

Bugs.....fortunately I don't live and hunt in an area that this is a problem during the hunting season. I will say that generally, you leave the door open when it is warm out to prevent moisture from building up so if you are planning on using it in buggy areas, they do sell a bug/mesh liner that would probably work well. As for coming under the walls, when it is set up properly, there is no way bugs can come under the tent walls.

Some drawbacks from my experience:

On our late goat hunt, we camped in 12 inches of snow and it was -10 or less the entire time. That night another 3-4 inches of wet snow fell. In the morning, the walls were coming in a little as the weight of the snow pushed them in. The material isn't meant to be kicked like canvas so clearing this snow is an outside "hands-on" job.

This also meant that the walls were sealed off and we had to sleep with the doors open for a bit more air.

large footprint: I found it tough to find good flat spots to spike the tent.....but I think I just need to practise different techniques for setting it up on uneven ground. Believe me, using this tent takes PRACTICE.

Couple Photos.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Package_2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/TIPI_1.jpg

Hombre
01-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Very neat tent. I have researched tents now for a long time and Kifaru has been on the list.There are now blend wall tents sold by Montana
Canvas, but they still may be to heavy for a one pack horse trip.

budismyhorse
01-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Very neat tent. I have researched tents now for a long time and Kifaru has been on the list.There are now blend wall tents sold by Montana
Canvas, but they still may be to heavy for a one pack horse trip.

the relite tents you are talking about are great for horse trips....but I wanted one I could backpack as well......

scembalf
01-08-2010, 05:11 PM
What did you pay for that setup tent and stove just curious

BlacktailStalker
01-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Good review. Good post.

Maverick
01-09-2010, 01:02 AM
x2 and thank you. i appreciate the thought that went into this post.

Deaddog
01-09-2010, 07:18 AM
we have had similar experiences with your type of tent, two of our guys on our sheep hunt used one, it works great, stove is for "short" bursts of high heat, light weight and fairly strong, we did cut the tent setting up the stove one night, (with the stove pipe) so that was a learning experience, however as you have said the largest drawback is the large footprint required to set up, that said we always found a place to set it up.

Devilbear
01-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I have had a Kifaru Paratipi, a 6-man tipi and settled on an 8-man tipi, with liner, mossy netting and large stove. This is not a rig I use much as it was bought for a couple of riverboat trips where my partner backed out; however, as a "base camp" tent, I consider it an excellent option to a heavy wall tent.

I combine mine with a superb Hilleberg Saivo expedition tent and a Hilleberg XP20 tarp, lots of spare cordage and changed the tipi pegs to steel ones from REI. It will work very well, but, finding space to erect it is a problem and Kifaru gear is VERY costly, a bit overpriced for what you get, IMO, and I have bought lots of it.

Still, with this as a "cook shack" and mountain tents to sleep in, one can have an excellent wilderness "home" at a "fly-in" weight and I hope to use mine more on some solo "fly-ins" during late July and into August, roughly 3-4 weeks per trip. I am buying a "shower shelter" from Cabela's and have folding tables, chairs and various lanterns, etc., to go with it, so, I can be really comfortable and live "Lookout style" as I used to enjoy doing so much.

There are other tipi makers and some are less pricey, I will post some info. here later.

boxhitch
01-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Good review Bud. Sounds like the fabric is delicate, but thats a trade-off for light and packable.
Would there be an advantage to having tie-points on the outside about three feet from the ground to guy the walls out for space and snow load ?

There are other tipi makers and some are less pricey, I will post some info. here later.Or start another thread.

bigwhiteys
01-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Good review. I wondered how efficient those little stoves would be... I wonder if I could modify my ID MK III to accept a little deal like that in the vestibule maybe?

It's tough crawling out of bed at 7000' when it's below freezing at 6 in the morning :)

Carl

Devilbear
01-09-2010, 09:26 AM
No, don't even think about this as the fabric Evan uses is REALLY flammable and you should not use a stove or flame of any type inside an ID or Hilleberg tent...or any other except a canvas type.

There are now little battery-powered LED lanterns and these are a REAL improvement over various candles, headlamps and flashlights, but, they do add ounces to your pack. I have about a half-dozen of these and I like them in base camp, especially in the K-tipi, but, do not pack them in my hunting pack.

There are options where you CAN use a stove in very small, light shelters and I will try to get you some info. and pass it by PM, so as not to "hijack" this thread. It is "sometimes" worth doing, but, most situations I just make certain I have the right gear and never seem to be bothered by cold....mind you, I am a "bear" of a guy who breaks ice and shovels snow in a cotton T-shirt in comfort.

budismyhorse
01-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Good review Bud. Sounds like the fabric is delicate, but thats a trade-off for light and packable.
Would there be an advantage to having tie-points on the outside about three feet from the ground to guy the walls out for space and snow load ?

Or start another thread.

Boxhitch, the material is the same as a Sil Tarp or anything else made out of parachute material....tough to a point, but I wouldn't kick the crap out of it.

there are tie points as you suggest......and I will for sure be using them in the future!

Each one is custom made and you could get them to put any additional guy points you wanted. Great people to deal with actually.

Devilbear....thanks for the info, but please start another thread, again, this thread was meant to pass some info along to the many folks who have asked for information about this specific tipi. :wink:

Twobucks
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread - but I've been looking at this (and similar rigs) a lot recently.

How do you manage to keep the floor dry? The floorless designs have some advantages, but I'd love to hear thoughts on how to keep dry and clean, especially in wet weather or snow.

Also, to the OP: do you still own the tipi? You still happy with it after a couple years use?

budismyhorse
03-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread - but I've been looking at this (and similar rigs) a lot recently.

How do you manage to keep the floor dry? The floorless designs have some advantages, but I'd love to hear thoughts on how to keep dry and clean, especially in wet weather or snow.

Also, to the OP: do you still own the tipi? You still happy with it after a couple years use?

TwoBucks,

Yes, still own it and have used it quite a bit since the first year. I love it to be honest. Once you get the hang of setting it up your laughing. Since this thread I cut a floor for it out of an old army tent that I pack around on the horses as backpacking would add too much weight.

For the floorless set up , it is tough to keep the floor dry but you just have to designate areas to walk in and pile wood. When you get better at setting it up it really opens up the walls and makes life easy in there. I look at those photos now and kind of laugh.......I sucked back then.

When you set it up and leave it in warm weather don't forget to leave a flap open or you'll come back to camp with all your gear soaked. The ground heats up like a sauna and pulls the moisture up and it collects on the walls eventually "raining" in your tent. A real drawback to be honest.

for the fall, you don't have to worry about that though.

If I was buying it again, I'd get a one size larger than you "think" you can get away with..lol. The larger the space the easier it is to keep things organized and out of the way of traffic.

This pic is of last year and is a much better job of pegging out this tent.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMGP2247_resize.JPG

calvin L
03-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I also have looked at these tents and thought no floor no way. I look at my wall tent almost every day and think what a waiste as I have never set it up after I bought it. It is a little big 14 x16x5.5 walls. It is so big and heavy it would be a great bace camp tent. But as i mostly back pack it was a poorly thought out buy. I will look into this style of tent more knowing some of the pro's and con's thanks again for the review

Calvin L

Y