PDA

View Full Version : success!

Black Bird
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
This is a little late coming, and references I question I had about my rifle falling over and what I should do since I was heading off right away on a hunting trip and wouldn't be able to sight the rifle in at a range. In short, the advice I had was to take a shot or two once I got to Valdes just to make sure that the rifle's scope hadn't got out of alignment. Many people seemed to feel that it would be unlikely that the scope would move from just falling over, but most felt that it was far better to be safe than sorry (I agree!).

Oh, and I am not sure if I should post this here or over at the Vancouver Island / Gulf island spot as I am a Vancouver hunter visiting Valdes.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Taking people's advice (and that lingering doubt in my mind) I put out a target at about 40m once we got onto the island and hit a perfect bullseye from a sitting position. It was raining hard, and we figured that it wouldn't likely spook the deer near the cabin too badly (at least we hoped so!). Seeing as the maximum shot I figured I would take would be 100m I thought this was good enough. Oh, and the reason why the maximum shot would be 100m is that the bush is pretty dense there and we would be walking everywhere - there are no roads where we were.

In short, I shot a doe my first day from about 30m out. I was just sitting quietly in the rain under a gary oak and had just got comfortable, when she popped her head out of the sword ferns in front of me. She wasn't very big (maybe 120lbs), but I was here to experience the hunt and bring back food for my family. With no more than a moment's hesitation, I shot her. My family friend (many years of hunting experience on and off) came to help me and talked me through the gutting part. We brought her back to the cabin and hung her under the deck where we both partook in the skinning.

The next day I came upon 2 bucks across a muskeg swam part way up a rise about 150m away. I wasn't comfortable with that distance, so I closed in to about 100m. I couldn't get any closer as I would have had to get out into the open. The bucks hadn't heard or smelt me as it was raining pretty hard. I was very excited and as I lined up one of the bucks he started to move. I tried leading him and pulled the trigger. I missed. Just as I was cursing myself for having rushed the shot I saw 2 more bucks come out from behind some trees. For some reason, the sound of the shot didn't spook them. I slowed down and took a deep breath and pulled the trigger again. This time I didn't miss.

My friend came and met up with me and first we looked for any sign that I had hit the first one. There was nothing. Still, I wandered up the hill to continue looking around but could find no sign. Then, I went back to the buck and began gutting him. He was quite a bit bigger (for a columbia blacktail) and it was much more effort to drag him back to the cabin. We skinned him and then went out again. This time, it was just a walk for me but I wanted to be of some help in case my friend met with success. I spent a good amount of time back at the site of where I had missed the deer looking for any sign. Again, I could find nothing. My friend, while he did spot some deer, did not find one to his liking. We went home the next day.

A few days later, I went over to his house with my family and we butchered the deer. It has been feeding my family ever since (we haven't bought red meat since early November). I have also had a chance to share the venison with my friends and family and everyone seems to really enjoy it. Grass-fed, no anti-biotics or chemicals - can't get more healthy than that!

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Cheers,
BB

PS. I would post a picture, but I am a school teacher and while I don't mind having a discussion about my hunting with my students, I am not keen on having a picture of me with a rifle and a dead deer online.:wink:

Ozone
01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
First, congrats on your harvest. Second it is sad that you give into the antis so easly by not showing your picture of something that not only is legal, but your right to do so.

Jehiah
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Hate to break it to you but we are more interested in your animals than you ;). But I empathize and urge you to try your hand at a free trial of photoshop pro and use it to blur out your face.
Great story and way to be out in the worst of it!

deer nut
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree - I'm curious re: how those deer on the smaller islands shape up. Feel free to crop out your head if it makes you feel more comfortable! Be proud of your hunting heritage!

I understand and respect your wish to not to post your trophy pic though if that's your decision.

blackbart
01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Black Bird. Very well done. Thank-you for the report, sounds like a very memorable trip. I totally appreciate and respect your decision to not post photo's.

Good luck in 2010.

Chuck
01-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Good story.....don't worry too much about the photos, in any case watch out for your rifle - it's more important anyway.

01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Great story! I enjoyed that
it's alright there's no pics i have seen deer before.

sawmill
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Excellent!Nothing like it is there.Congrats!

Sitkaspruce
01-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Congrats on the deer!!!

I do have to say though, that a 120 lbs doe is a huge doe if a BT. Most bucks do not get that big. She must have been huge!!!!

Again congrats on the deer!!

Cheers

SS

jrjonesy
01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Great story and congrats on your success!

I understand you not wanting your mug on the internet but I would hope it's not because you feel there is a negative connotation related to hunting.

It could open up good educational discussion with your students about the benefits of hunting. As a teacher, you're in a position to be a positive influence on youth regarding hunting.

Will
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
As a teacher, you're in a position to be a positive influence on youth regarding hunting.
Yeppers.......:wink:

Congrats on the deer ! :-D

Blainer
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Great success story.
Good on ya!

Blainer
01-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I do have to say though, that a 120 lbs doe is a huge doe if a BT. Most bucks do not get that big. She must have been huge!!!!

SSI'm thinking he was quoting live weight,would that really be a big blacktail doe for the gulf islands?
Are the deer somewhat like the Charlottes deer?Sitka or Columbia bt.?

Black Bird
01-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm thinking he was quoting live weight,would that really be a big blacktail doe for the gulf islands?
Are the deer somewhat like the Charlottes deer?Sitka or Columbia bt.?

Yup, I was talking about the live weight. I have a dog who is about 70lbs and have picked her up. I also have a friend with a 110lbs rotty cross and have picked up that one as well. It is only a guess, but after gutting the doe I was able to carry her out - not with ease, but without too much difficulty. I could be off, but I think I am pretty close.

As for the pic - yes, I view hunting in a very positive light - in particular those who hunt for food. However, there is nothing for me to gain by putting out a picture onto the worldwideweb Yes, I could use photoshop and take out my face; I will think about it. But there is nothing for me to gain and my career (believe it or not) to lose by having my pic floating around out there with a gun in one hand. Again, I favour hunting (obviously), but I am not willing to risk my career over a picture.

Cheers,
BB

Cyrus
01-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Yup, I was talking about the live weight. I have a dog who is about 70lbs and have picked her up. I also have a friend with a 110lbs rotty cross and have picked up that one as well. It is only a guess, but after gutting the doe I was able to carry her out - not with ease, but without too much difficulty. I could be off, but I think I am pretty close.

As for the pic - yes, I view hunting in a very positive light - in particular those who hunt for food. However, there is nothing for me to gain by putting out a picture onto the worldwideweb Yes, I could use photoshop and take out my face; I will think about it. But there is nothing for me to gain and my career (believe it or not) to lose by having my pic floating around out there with a gun in one hand. Again, I favour hunting (obviously), but I am not willing to risk my career over a picture.

Cheers,
BB

What has the world come to? I took my core in school and knew numerous teachers who hunted and always told us stories and showed pics of their animals. We as students always respected that and maybe made us more responsible and respectful towards hunting and game animals. Not even the non hunter kids complained. I am not blaming you for not wanting to post your pics on but it is just unfortunate how hunting is viewed by some circles. Good story in any event and congrats!

hunter1947
01-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Your hunting trip was a success lots of memories to go along with your hunting trip ,you got your deer congrats to you and your buddy http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

I can understand why you chose not to post your pic..

ratherbefishin
01-09-2010, 08:02 AM
can you share any details on hunting Valdes as far as access is concered.What about deer populations?I also was under the impression that the gulf islands ie-SaltSpring, were ''shotgun with shot only''-obviously this is a local restriction

Phreddy
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Congratulations on a successful hunt. I see no reason to post pictures if one doesn't want to. I've never photographed a package of roast beef from Overwaitea to post anywhere, so don't worry about it. It's a personal thing. I also don't drive around town with a dead critter hanging out the back of my truck. Anyone with an ounce of brains will tell you that it is called consideration for the feelings of others who find it offensive.

Will
01-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Anyone with an ounce of brains will tell you that it is called consideration for the feelings of others who find it offensive.
Yep dead things are offensive unless wrapped in little styrofoam trays and sealed up with cling wrap then piled ball$ deep at safeway.

Continue to scurry around in the shadows ashamed of what we do fearing the reactions of others and well........kiss hunting goodbye.

Congrats again on the deer :-D

gamer
01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Real bummer how things change. When I was in high school there was a teacher/coach that went hunting early mornings and would show up at school with birds, dog and gear still in the truck. Of course this was the coach that would take a dump and read the paper with the door open so I don't think he really cared what others thought.

jrjonesy
01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Again...congrats.

It frightens me to think you work in an area that you feel your career would be threatened by having a picture of you partaking in a legal and highly accepted activity. Also considering that if you work in a public school you are protected by a Union. I'm not challenging you on posting a photo....it's totally unnecessary....it's just unfortunate that you feel you have to hide something I'm sure you enjoy immensely.

I hope to read more hunting stories from you in the future....pictures or not.

dave_83golf
01-09-2010, 03:40 PM
First of all, I respect that he doesnt want to show the pictures, however, to say you would be fired is a pure and utter farce... Your not snorting Coke, or shooting heroin, you are performing an act that has been performed for thousands of years. Would you post a picture of yourself with a fish after a long weekend of camping and fishing???

Triggerman
01-09-2010, 03:56 PM
We don't really want a pic of you anyway- how about the deer?

OutWest
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Sounds like a great trip! Congrats on your success. It's understandable that you don't want your picture on here but also a bit unfortunate in my opinion. Like someone posted before, you're in a great position to educate people on hunting.

The Hermit
01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Congrats on your hunting experiences! Two in two days = big smiles!

Phreddy
01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Yep dead things are offensive unless wrapped in little styrofoam trays and sealed up with cling wrap then piled ball$ deep at safeway.

Continue to scurry around in the shadows ashamed of what we do fearing the reactions of others and well........kiss hunting goodbye.

Congrats again on the deer :-D

It's not that I fear the reactions of others (including your just now), but I do respect that some folks don't like to look at dead animals, whether your road kill or my hunting kill. A little consideration goes a long way, and also puts more non-hunters on our side than displaying our "trophy corpses" all over town. I guess some weekend warrior hunters just need to show that they kill to make up for their small willie.