PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly hunters what is it like???

TOP_PREDATOR
02-13-2006, 12:59 AM
I want to come back to Canada again and shoot a Grizzly this time:smile: What are you thinking when you take the shot??? Just how scary is it,to hunt grizzly???

huntwriter
02-13-2006, 02:34 AM
If you come here to hunt you have to go with an registered outfitter. Amongst many different duties it will be his job to bravely throw himself between you and any bear that wants to make a meal out of you.:grin:

CanuckShooter
02-13-2006, 06:57 AM
The fearful time is not when your hunting them...it's when they are hunting you!!

X-man
02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Walking creeks is weird.
You spend hours walking up a creek and might come across a sow or a smaller bear you don't want to shoot....Now What! More creek to walk but the bear(s) is in your way. Most of the time they run away but I have seen a few hold their ground. Walk by that bear and tell me you aren't scared!

It's the one that you just walked past and didn't see that is the scariest. They tend to make funny grumbling growling sounds just as you pass.:eek:
The bear in question will usually be close by in an impenetrable jungle (to humans) but quite literally 5-10 big leaps for the bear!

By comparison, mountain bears are less nervy. Calm your jitters and (carefully) pull the trigger.

Oh ya!
At the moment I pull the trigger I always wonder why I am doing this stupid thing???!!!

Bang!

youngfellla
02-14-2006, 02:12 AM
It's quite a rush when you're up close and personal with a grizz. I have had one grizz charge, after our hunter shot it a few times with a 375 H&H, it still made a pretty good run with one broken shoulder and lungs shot to hell, but I settled things quick with a shot into his hump with the 458 WinMag I was carrying. Just had to go clean my shorts and carry on like nothing happened!

Gateholio
02-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Huitng grizzlies can be pretty freaky. It's not for the timid.:-P

moose hunter
02-14-2006, 05:51 PM
ive never hunted them but ive hunted moose out the mgregor and let me tell you when you see a grizzly track bigger than you are you almost shit your pants pardon my frenchi saw a boar get shot at 200 yards with a 338 by another hunter he stood up and was looking at us and a guy that just came off the other road smoked him in the heart flop

Gateholio
02-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Maybe I shoudl post mygrizzly hunt story form a few years ago...Everyoine seemd to enjoy it on HS.:idea:

Ozone
02-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes please

Gateholio
02-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Okay, here goes....

This was one of the most interesting hunting trips I've ever been on. I've never taken a boat to go hunting!http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif In many ways we were woefully unprepared for this hunt. I thought we had figured out most of the angles, but I was wrong.

I grew up in West Van, and my parents had a sailboat. I spent most of my childhood summers on that boat, around boats, fishing in the ocean and playing in the ocean. Ive even done some pretty ambitious sea kayak trips, including a month long trip through the Queen Charlottes when I was a teenager. So I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the sea.

But after living in the mountains for so long, it became clear I've become a landlubber!!!http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/wink.gif I prepared the way I usually do for a moutain hunt, and we threw in some extras like hip waders and fishing rods...We had alot to learnhttp://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/frown.gif

Day#1 We left Pemberton about 9AM, after an extensive loading of the truck the previous night and today. We were towing a 20ft power boat, with a small berth in front. We also had a 12 ft aluminum with a 9.9.

We headed to Williams Lake, where we called up Steve Rupp. He came and collected us at the gas station and took us to his house.

Steves got an amazing collection of hunting photos, as well as some very nice mounts and bear skins. He also has an ideal set upi fopr watchign hockey after a hard days work!http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif

Steve explained the area we were going, and gave us some detailed instructions. Without this help we would have spent a week just stumbling around. He also recieved a SAT phone I had arranged to get couriered to his house. Someone had left it on and he could hear the battery beeping through the box som he opened it up and charged the battery. I really can't thank him enough for his help with this hunt.

Off we go to Bella Coola, towing that godawful boat down the trecherous Freedom Road. On the way, we see a number of bucks and a black wolf. We make it to Bella Coola a little after midnight, and head to the first motel we see. We wake up the owner and he gives us a key. We are exhausted and flop into bed....

outdooorsman
02-14-2006, 07:56 PM
where's the rest???

hutch
02-14-2006, 08:01 PM
going to leave us hanging just like that?

Fred
02-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Get serious guys, he said he was exhausted and went to bed. Also you might want to remember Gatesies typing abilities. He probably got his fingers tangled together!! :lol: Fred

Gateholio
02-14-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm still unpaking, doing laundry, etc...But I have sat down for lunch and have the next installment

Day #2 We get up before the sun. Outside our motel room window there is a little park. Some Indians were having a party there when we went to bed, and it seems they are still at it.

We each have quick showers, then get dressed and head out.

We launch the boat from the Bella Coola boat launch, and we're off. It's lightly drizzling. Within 30 minutes we are in a downpour, and it is very foggy. It is then that I realize that we have some topo maps, but no tide book or nautical charts. My brother, the off-shore sailer would be horrified. Too late now, I figure.

In about 3 hours we have made it to our destination, a bay on the coast. There has been some loggin here in the past, and there is the remains of an old dock. We tie up to an anchored log, as advised by Steve. We take the dinghy and go ashore to lok for a good camping spot. We are completely soaked, and the rain is falling steadily and heavily.

Lucky for us, there is an old structure there. It is the remains of the logging camp shop. It is well used, 1/2 torn down, stained with oil, covered in bird and mouse droppings, and empty beer cans, old sneakers and broken glass are strewn around. But it is dry. We're home...

We unpack what we need from the boat, and bring enough food in for the first day. The remainder of the food stays on the boat, away form grizzly bears. In short order, we have erected a little table for cooking with some junk, and got some firewood. We're not the first people to have camped here- ther is a well used firpit right on the floor of the open structure. Time to go hunting..

We grab our guns put raingear and hip waders back on, throw some stuff in the pack, and head for the dinghy. We're about to pull off the beach, when I ask Rob if there is enough fuel, and should we bring an extra jerry can of gas. "No problem" is his reply. "We've got enough in here for a whole day." Hmmm....foreshadowing, perhaps??http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif

Up the river we go. The river is one of the most wonderful places I've been. Rob is originally form Ontario, and he states that he has never seen anythign so magnificent. There are literlly HUNDREDS of eagles, thousands of seagulls, ducks, Canada geese and every other type of bird you can think of. And the river is full of spawning salmon. Their carcasses litter the tidal flats, and they are floating down river.

Whenever we get close to a flock of birds, they take off in a huge flurry. It is absolutely incredible. We both wish for a shotgun.
http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif

The river is completely blown due to all the rainfall. Of course, we've never been here, so we don't really know that. We crank the throttle to high and pretend we are jet boating up a river. It's sketchy at best....

Eventually, we can go no further. We are at full throttle, and basically not moving forward. We find a good spot, head to shore, and tie up to a tree. I'm glad that I know knots reasonably well. I've never put so much attention into knots before this trip...but when your only way out depends on a little line and a good knot, you triple check everything. http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif

It's an easy bushwack to the logging road that paralells the river. It's pretty overgrown, but it sure beats trudging through alders and devils club. Rob experiences Devils Club for the first time at this point, incidently.http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/wink.gif

We hike up the road, loooking for soem landmarks Steve has told us about. After abotu 30 minutes, we find something, and start exploring. It's very thick cover, and very wet. We come across some fairly fresh salmon carcasses. Rounds are chambered, safeties are placed on, and guns are held in the hands, not on a shoulder strap.

After checkign out this area for a couple of hours, we decide to head back. It's getting dark.

Climbing into the boat, I notice the gas canis almost empty. We've used WAY too much fuel fighting the river, and I'm glad thatt he river will carry us down..but there is the matter of the tidal flats, and gettign back to camp across the ocean.

We bump our way down the river, which has become even more of a torrent, all muddy and full of rapids that shoudln't exist. The engine cuts out for the first time. Rob tilts the gas can, so the remainign fuel will be able to get sucked up. We drift down, only using the motor to steer around bends and away form rocks and deadfall. For the first time I put my finger on what we've forgotten..We have no bloody paddles or oars. Each of us thought the other was bringing them...how idiotic.

By the time we make it down to the tidal flats, the engine has cut out three times. This is the sketchiest part of the trip- If we run out of gas here, we have no propulsion, and will just drift around. I am not lookign forward to spending the night on the tidal flats, or drifting out to sea for that matter.

Luckily, we make it back to camp, with a mouthful of gas left. Both of us feel stupid and stressed out...We vow to be more careful.

BOOMSTICK
02-14-2006, 11:08 PM
It's quite a rush when you're up close and personal with a grizz. I have had one grizz charge, after our hunter shot it a few times with a 375 H&H, it still made a pretty good run with one broken shoulder and lungs shot to hell, but I settled things quick with a shot into his hump with the 458 WinMag I was carrying. Just had to go clean my shorts and carry on like nothing happened!

Youngfellla, I remember that hunt. That was the old fellow from Montana with the glass eye. It scared the hell out of him! He came back up last year armed with a Ruger No.1 458 Lott shooting 500 grain X-Bullets. I guess the 375 wasn't quite enough for him. He did take a nice grizz though, one shot to the shoulders from about 75 yards and the bear was finished.:mrgreen:

huntwriter
02-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Nice story Gatehouse. There is always a leasson to be learned.

rollingrock
02-15-2006, 10:49 AM
I've found that most hunters are good story tellers. :)

Gateholio
02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Day #3
It's still drizzling. We decide to sleep in until 8AM, as we have been sadly lacking sleep for the last few days. Between packing the night before we left, the drive and the boat ride, we are worn out. It takes me a few days to slip into the hunters sleeping pattern -Sleep a bit at night, and nap during the afternoon- and I'm not there yet.

We finally haul our lazy asses out of bed and have some breakfast. The river is still too high for our little boat, so we elect to hike up the old road behind camp, to check for any fresh sign.

Almost immediately, we find scat, but it is quite old. There are grizzly trails criss crossing the road, but very little fresh anything. We keep slogging on, until we find a break in the trees and we are able to do some glassing over the tidal flats. We see nothing this time.

We keep hiking, hopeing to find something. Although both of us have hunted black bears quite a bit, neither of us have pursued grizzlies, and we've never hunted bears in the fall, anyway. We figure that they're going to want to get to lots of food. Hibernationis coming, and besides- bears are ALWAYS hungry.http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif The problem is, of course that the river is FULL of food, almost to the bursting. I've seen plenty of salmon runs in BC, but this one is of incredible proportions. The coho run is on it's last legs, but the pink run is getting started. There are spawning salmon and carcasses EVERYWHERE.

Eventually, we decide to turn back. We've come across two piles of fresh scat, so we decide we'll stake out these areas in the future if nothing happens.

On our way back, we stop once again to glass the tidal flats. We haven't even made it past the trees when Rob sees two wolves.

Rob is maybe a little too eager- Hell, we're BOTH pretty damn excited- and pushes through the trees to get a shot. I'm behind him, and am still standing when he sits down on some rocks and starts shooting! One wolf takes off, running to the right. I pick him up in my scope, and shoot at him on the run, offhand. This wolf is probably safer right now than he's ever been in his life. http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif

We look at each other and we both feel pretty silly. Instead of dropping our packs and slithering into a nice shooting position, and cleanly taking the two wolves, we made a bunch of noise going through the trees, shot from awkward positions, and basically just 'whanged away.' Idiots...

I suggest that we need to re-examine our method of shooting at game, especially where grizzlies are concerned. Rob sheepishly agrees, and of course, I take a moment to note that he managed to miss FOUR times, to my measly TWO misses. So I proclaim myself the better shooter
!

We head back, then take the dinghy out to the moored boat to retrieve our food for the night and next morning.

Rob makes hamburgers, while I head to the creek for a jug of water, carrying my rifle as usual. Rob's burgers are some of the best I've tasted. We read a bit by latern light, then hit the sack. We're confident that tomorro is the day...And there will be NO "whanging away!!!"http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

CanAm500
02-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Interesting story so far. :)

Brambles
02-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Great story so far Gatehouse, more please:biggrin:

Have a sandwich and get back to typing;-)

CanAm500
02-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Cant wait to see what happens next.

boxhitch
02-15-2006, 07:51 PM
No rush, GH. How 'bought that party? any chicks ? tell more about the logging camp ? What kind of lanterns were you using ?

Gateholio
02-15-2006, 09:12 PM
No rush, GH. How 'bought that party? any chicks ? tell more about the logging camp ? What kind of lanterns were you using ?

I presume there were chicks, but we didn't check;)

We had a propane lantern, I'm not sure if it was one of my Colemans or one of the other Euro ones.:-o

Gateholio
02-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Day #4

We get up early, and as the rain has been sporadic over the night, we decide that it's time to try the river again.

I slime into my wet clothes again. I'm wearing fleece/gor tex pants, wool socks, my waterproof hiking boots, a poly pro shirt, my ever present Stanfields wool shirt, my gor tex jacket, and a Aussie Akubra hat. I'm not a hat person at all..I loathe wearing hats, but this Akubra hat has been my best freind. My gal brought it back form Austraila for me a couple of years ago, but I have rarely worn it, except to cut wood in the rain. It has been keeping the rain from running down the back of my neck for days, and I am in love with it....

All my stuff is 'warm when wet' types. When I get back, I hang it up, wring it out, and it's not completely drenched in the morning, just wet. but I'm warm...

Rob, conversely has brought alot of COTTON!!! Although he's brought alot, nothing of his is drying out. he keeps needing to change his wardrobe completely. His jeans never dry out, his sweat shirt is soaked. At least he's got some rain wear. I make fun of him quite a bit, but eventually I bestow a gift upon him...

I give him my extra poly pro shirt. The one I was saving for changing into in a couple of days. As many of you know, poly pro gets a little ripe after a day or two....I decide that I will stink, but he won't get hypothermia. Besides- he has to put up with my manly aroma...Yes, I am a hell of a guyhttp://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/biggrin.gif he digs around and finds his long underwear actually is mostly poly, with only a little nylon! He is saved.

We get in the dinghy, and head across the bay. Our intention is to take the boat upriver, find a couple of landmarks, then tie up, make a short hike, and slowly creep through the bush by the river, hoping to find a big grizzly.

We round a bend, and we spot our first grizzly. He eyeballs us, and makes for cover, while we are still about 700 meters away...He looks like he has really nice fur, and we are both in love with him. Beautiful animal.

What a change a day makes. The rain has slowed, so the river is not flooded. In fact, it is downrigth low. The prop ont he dinghy hits the bottom a few times. By now, we are a little smarter...We have 'paddles'- a couple of pieces of flat wood that I have peeled off a driftwood cedar.

At a certain point, the river is simply too low for anythign else, so Rob, (wearing waders) jumps out and starts pulling the boat up river by the painter. I think that there may have been comments about how the boat could 'easily be lightened by 260lbs' but I couldn't hear them, as I have been made deaf by Robs muzzle blast while he was whanging away at the wolves...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p1290d6df13c0b4d4ada3c6f33b31e12c/fb09223b.jpg

There are spawners everywhere...With each step Rob takes, there is an explosion of fish. The rain may have triggered the pinks to hit the river, as there didn't seem to be as many before.

Eventually, he is able to climb back in and, as I hold the boat wiht the paddle, he starts the motor and we are on our way upstream.

What a difference a little time and rain makes...We soon find the river too shallow to roceed at all, whereas it used to be too deep. We find a convienient mud bank, and put to shore.

I climb up with the painter, and secure it to a large birch. I then secure another piece to another birch...And we climb up the muddy bank into the forest.

We know that the road should be not too far, but getting there is a bit of a proble, with deadfall, devils club, shrubby alders and swamp blocking our path. I dig in my pack for my GPS, to mark the locationof the boat, as we may be back in the dark. No GPS...I've left it back at camp.

Cursing, I pull out a roll of flagging tape. Of course, it's the greeny yellow type, not red. And the green blends in nicely with the leaves...Oh well. At least we have the topo map and a compass...

We bushwack to the road, leaving flags along the way. When we get up there, we string a long piece of tape across the road, so that we MUST see it upon return. We have made it to the road by a long, flat clearing...We start hiking. Our goal is some flatter part of the river, where we might have a bit of distance for viewing.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p7c025a070531ce177585adb2f4525931/fb092245.jpg

Eventually, we get there. There are grizzly trails everywhere. Rob decides it will be a good idea to walk directly off the road into a steep bit of trail. I'm not so sure, but follow at a distance. We quickly find we are not grizzlies, and retreat.

Another approach takes us into the heart of big grizz territory. We get down to the river, then follow a tributary creek up through the dense, thick rainforest. There are salmon carcasses liberally scattered, and tracks everywhere. We have already chambered rounds, and the thumb is on the safety.

Unless you have been in an area like this, it's hard to describe the tension. On the one hand, we WANT to see a grizz...On the other hand- It's so close that the grizz you may see will be just a blur as he comes for you. Like I said before- I've never hunted grizzlies, but I've sure run into them alot. It's scary enough in the open when you have a bit of room to manouver, but there was NO room whatsoever.

We spent a couple of hours int here, creeping around, then found a nice sandbar with vegetation, where we sat down to check things out for a bit.

It's getting late, gettign dark, and we have no GPS and a long hike. I'm not worried about the hike back, infact I'm not worried about runing into grizzlies at night. I'm worried about the boat ride. Rob is just the opposite (what do you expect form an A.F.E.?)

He's worried about being chewed on the road, but not concerned wiht the boat ride. What a pair!http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/wink.gif

We start sloggin back to the boat. It's an awful long way. We've already walked about 10km that day, and the boat is about another 8km back.

We both start to experience a bit of discomfort. We've been wet for days, and our boots are soaked, too. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the wet clothes and hiking have given us what I can only describe as DIAPER RASH!!! Ouch!! Our feet are sore, but we can deal with that. Every step, however, chafes our crotch. Our asses and balls are raw. Yuck...

We get back to the flagging tape, only to see that it has been broken. A grizzly musyt have walked right through it, as there are no other humans here, and a deer probably would have jumped it. Talk about insult to injury...

We make it back to the boat, and only have the usual problems getting downriver int he pitch black- grounding out, taking wrong turns, getting high and dry, etc. Onmore than one occasion, I ump out and yard the boat back on course. My boots have long since filled in wiht water, so I don't care.

That night, we walk bow legged back to camp, and heat up some bear spagetti I made up before hand. It seems somewhat ironic toi be eating bear while you hunt them...

Gateholio
02-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Day #5

We're up early and it's a beautiful day. The sun is shining!! (It proves to be the only sunny day we get)

We decide to glass the tidal flats once more, so we take the dinghy to the flats, then climb up into some trees for a better vantage point, and sit...and sit..and sit.

About noon we decide to head back for breakfast. the prevous evening on our way down the river, we saw several bears, so we intend to eat then head up river, and try to slowly drift down, checking for bears.

We are about to climb into the boat when I look up at a distant stump. Hmmm....Did that stump move??? The binos confirm it' s a grizzly, abotu a km away.

Let's go!

We start one of the most exciting stalks I've ever done. The tidal flats are flat, of course, but they are criss crossed with dips and channels, with long sea grass gently swaying in the wind. the wind is going across, away from the bear, so we are in luck.

We sneak along the flats, (well, 'sneak' is a stretch...sometimes our waders sink halfway to our knees) Using every channel, ditch and piece of driftwood, we approach the bear.

He is feeding his way along, stopping to sniff salmon carcasses. We lose sight of him several times, when he climbs down into ocean channels. We make it to a large driftwood stump, and then creep up towards the next one. We intend to either shot from the stump, or reasses the situation when we get there.

Rob is almost at the stump, when the bear pops out of nowhere. We both freeze. the bear seems unconcerned, and starts to feed toward us. I look up at the grass, steam is rising from it, and the wind is still in our favour. I start to think that this might just work out after all...http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif

Rob is sliding into position, I'm still about 10 yards back...the bear is on the other side of the stump, still unaware...Ooopps...spoke to soon. Either the wind shifted, or he spotted movement, but he stands up to check us out. He is about 60 yards away...When he stands on his hind legs, he is impressive to say the least...

He must not really like what he sees, so he starts to amble off. Rob is convinced hes going to dissapear, but I'm sure he'll stop. Sure enough, at 160 paces, he stops and gives Rob a nice broadside shot. Rob is waiting for me to get a rest so I can shoot as well, as previously arranged, but I know there is not time. I tell him to shoot, just as my foot gets stuck in a mud bog, and I slip into a ditch....http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/mad.gif

I scramble up, and Rob is looking at me. I whisper SHOOT!!! He shoots. I shoot a moment later, but it is not necessary. Rob's 160 gr X bullet from his 7mm RM has entered the right shoulder, traveled through the body and exited through the left shoulder. He falls to his left, then scrambles to get up, but, with both shoulders wrecked, he only suceeds in pushing himself over in sumersaults. Growling, he drops down off a little bank, out of sight.

Rob and I take a slightly circular route to the bear. We have rounds in the chambers, thumbs on safeties, rifles held out low in front of us.

We approach the bear, which is lying on his side, and breathing his last. With a short shrug and twitch, it is all over for him. We approach form the rear, rifles ready, and give I him a few pushes with my foot on his butt. there is no reaction whatsoever.

The X bullet's performance was impressive, to say the least. It has completly penetrated the grizzly, and left a huge, tunnel like wound channel. I can easily put three fingers in the exit hole.

We try to lift him up on the grassy bank, out of themud, for better pictures ans skinning, but we can't move him, except to roll him about in the mud.

The tide is coming in, so after pictures, we start on him and work quickly. I have packed a small folding saw, and it makes short work of the wrists and neck. Severing the joints with knives would have taken considerably more time. The skinning is completed in about a foot of water. Once more, we are soaked, but we don't care...We go get the boat, and we are able to load up right from the spot- no packing!!!

This was probably one of the most exciting hunts I've been on fro a long time. We were hunting North Americas only really dangerous game, in an enviroment completely different from what I am used to, and the stalk was fantastic...It went on for about 45 minutes, over basically open terrain, and we thought we had lost the bear a number of times.

We saw about 5 grizzlies, some only for a moment, and this one was nice. I've put in for a Spring tag in the same area. It took a tremendous amount of (mostly mental) effort to hunt in this place, because of it's relative isolation, but it is worth it. I cannot describe how priviledged I feel to live in this beautiful province, and hunt these tremendous animals.

Thanks for reading my story. Sorry I was so long winded.

Gateholio
02-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm the slightly less hairy one...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/paa7f24d484f1973e47bdc09b44cb4b14/fb0cf7bc.jpg

My buddy Rob and his bear

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p7fe92b8a18304d75391bca197e309059/fb0cf7a9.jpg

Big sharp scary clawshttp://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p21a87ba7fce5544f511bcff289f51ed5/fb0cf79e.jpg

Marc
02-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Great story Clark but I haven't seen any mention of scull size or nose to tail measurements.

Marc.

Gateholio
02-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Great story Clark but I haven't seen any mention of scull size or nose to tail measurements.

Marc.

I['m not sure of the skull, as ROb has it.

Nose to tail after it was tanned and we put a tape on it was close to 8 feet.

I had guessed closer to 7 when we skinned it
:D