PDA

View Full Version : Two and a half rams

bridger
01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
TWO AND A HALF RAMS

“If Gerry is going to shoot, he’d better do it now,” Jon R. muttered, half to himself and half to me. Gerry the third member of our party and great friend was working his way across a shale slide. He was closing in on a bigstone ram. “Have a look,” Jon R said, rolling away from the spotting scope.

Set on 40X, the scope gave a clear view of the ram standing in front of a large boulder, scratching his back on its sharp edges. We had found him an hour earlier, alone and feeding towards the rugged cliffs at the head of the basin. He was an old ram. He moved slowly; the stiffness in his legs clearly evident. His swayed back betraying his age. Jon and I aged him at 10 maybe 11 years old.

Several days earlier we had left homes in Fort St. John, heading once again deep into the heart of the East Slope. We would be gone 21 days. One full day’s travel up the Alaska Highway to the trail head and four days by pack string would get us to our sheep camp.

It was late afternoon when we reached the meadows at the head of Ram Creek. Unpacking, hobbling, and belling the horses went quickly and soon our camp was set. Sheep season would open the next morning--August 1st.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/gerry_rich_horses.jpeg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17452&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)
We were up early the next morning heading to a sheepy looking basin about two miles below camp. We left our saddle horses at the creek mouth, and with rifles and packs headed up to the top end. It was there we spotted the ram Gerry was now after.

Jon R. kept tabs on the ram and Gerry’s progress while I continued to glass the surrounding mountains looking for other rams. Seeing none, I turned my binoculars back towards the big ram Gerry was after.

We were in steep, rough country. The ram was standing on a small grassy ledge; the type rams love so much. Below him was a steep grassy slope, behind him and to his right a series of very rugged slides and steep ledges. Lying on the hillside about two hundred yards from the ram, Gerry was taking his time judging his age and size. “Perfect spot,” Jon R. said. “If he rolls, he should end up on that grassy slope.”

Judging a ram’s age and horn length accurately depends more on experience than science. This ram was hard to judge. At a distance of about a half mile, Jon R. and I could tell he was an old ram, but judging his horn length was tough. He had good bases and carried his weight well through the first two quarters, then dropped off. His curl was deep; lamb tips right at his nose; for me the hardest horns to judge. The longer we studied him the better he looked. Gerry had obviously arrived at the same conclusion. Through our spotting scopes, we could see both the ram and our pard. Gerry had laid his rifle on his day pack and was now getting ready pull the trigger. The ram was still standing in front of the boulder on what appeared to be a flat grassy ledge.

I agreed hoping Gerry’s shot would anchor the ram on the spot or that he would roll straight down the hill and not stumble into the series of ledges and cliffs. Gerry is an excellent rifle shot and a very conscientious sheep hunter; I knew he would leave little too chance. At the shot, the ram dropped immediately. However, instead of falling backwards towards the boulder he fell forward and rolled over, ending up on his back with his back legs in the air. He lay there for a moment; then started slowly rolling down the hill over a small rocky hump. That’s when Murphy’s Law kicked in. As he rolled, the ram’s horns struck a rock and turned him to the right. We held our breath as the ram picked up momentum, rolling over and over into a series of cliffs and ledges, before disappearing.

Although we couldn’t see him, we could track his progress down the hill by the sounds of his horns striking the rocks as he continued towards a sheer drop-off. Jon and I were watching through binoculars, hoping to catch sight of the ram, when suddenly he shot into view. His speed carried him about 15 feet straight out from the cliff face, then 100 feet straight down where he landed on a large boulder with a loud ‘WHUMP!” Disaster!!

“That’s was not good,” Jon R. said.

“This is going to be bad,” I agreed, gathering up my rifle and pack.
Rams often are found in rough country. Jon and I had some roll for several hundred yards with no damage to the cape, horns, or carcass. Nothing in our years of sheep hunting had prepared us for the experience we were about to have.

It was awful! There is no other way to describe it. The ram was completely destroyed. The carcass had literally exploded upon impact. One horn was gone, knocked off the core coming down the hill; the cape completely ruined; the meat unsalvageable.

“What is that?” I asked Jon pointing to a red mass about 15 feet to the side.

“That would be his heart,” Jon said, shaking his head in disbelief.
Neither of us had ever seen anything to compare with this. I looked up and could see Gerry slowly working his way through the ledges.

“How bad is it?” he yelled down the hill. How can you tell your hunting partner and close friend that fate had just dealt him a poor hand, completely destroying what was probably a record book ram?

“Not good,” I yelled back up the hill. “One horn is missing, the cape is ruined and even the ribs won’t be salvageable. “The only good news is that the other horn is intact,” I added sadly.

“I was afraid of that,” Gerry yelled back.

“See if you can find his other horn,” I said, with as much force as I could muster.

Gerry worked his way into the cliffs only to reappear minutes later. “It’s impossible to go any further; the hillside is too steep,” he yelled down. “See if you can come up from the bottom.”

“Ok!” I yelled and began climbing up through the rocks. I hadn’t gotten far when the hillside started going straight up making it impossible to go any further. We were stymied. We would never find the missing horn.

We were three pretty sad sheep hunters as we sat around the campfire later that evening. Gerry had not only lost a great ram (the intact horn measured 40 ¼ inches), but the meat was also lost. Sheep ribs cooked over a willow fire are hard to beat. We discussed Gerry’s ram several times; each time arriving at the same conclusion. It was a stroke of extremely bad luck.

“You could take that shot another hundred times and the ram would never roll like that again.” Jon R said stoking the fire, putting an end to the discussion.

bridger
01-07-2010, 06:54 PM
With a final check on the horses we turned in. Tomorrow would be another day, and although Gerry’s hunt was over, we still had several days to hunt and plenty of country to explore in hopes of finding two more rams.

Sunrise found us on top of a long narrow ridge glassing a rocky hillside where we had seen rams on past hunts. An hour later we had found 14 rams bedded about a half mile away. We spent several hours studying them, judging their ages and horn length. The best ram was facing us lying in the shadows; we judged him to be about 38 inches. Another big dark ram looked to be about 40 inches on his good side but was broomed badly on the other. Nice rams, but after talking it over we left them undisturbed. We hiked out of the basin and covered a lot of miles the rest of the day. We saw only two more rams. Both were legal. We passed on both.

Gerry decided to stay behind the next morning to tidy up camp and keep an eye on the horses. Jon and I left early and by mid morning had located a group of 12 rams several miles from camp. After studying the rams for a long while, we agreed that the biggest one was close to 40 inches with good weight and only slightly broomed on one side. I decided to take him. The second best head was about 38 inches with good weight and looked to be about 10 ½ years old.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/rich_and_richards_creek_ram1.jpeg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17450&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)
The rams were lying below the top of the ridge. By getting behind them and climbing a narrow spine on the north side, we could get above them. Once in position, all we had to do was peek over the edge, and the rams should be right under us. A perfect set up! In less than an hour we were at the spot we had marked above the rams. Slipping out of our packs and chambering rounds we crawled to the edge and carefully looked over the rim. Nothing! No rams in sight! What could have happened? Had they gotten up to feed as rams often do at mid-day? Had they moved around the corner out of the sun? Experience had taught us not to panic. Chances were good they were still close by. We worked out way further down the ridge top, carefully staying off the skyline. We had gone only a short distance when the biggest ram walked out from behind a boulder barely 100 feet away. We dropped instantly getting out of sight. I had a quick decision to make. Either shoot now, or wait for the other rams to show. Waiting would be risky. The big ram was too close. I shot quickly and the ram collapsed. At the sound of the shot, two other rams appeared about 100 yards below us running full speed down the hill. One was the other large ram. Jon ran down the hill to a better shooting position. As the sound of his shot echoed across the basin, our sheep hunt came to an end. Talk about excitement! In less than 10 seconds we had taken two great rams. WOW!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/jon_and_richards_creek_ram.jpeg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17449&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)
We made our way down the hillside to where the rams lay. Both were old rams. Mine was 39 5/8 inches around the curl and 12 ½ years old. Jon’s ram was 38 inches and 10 ½ years old. Beautiful rams!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/richardscreek94-8.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17454&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=10914)
Heading back to camp with the horns, capes, and meat, I noticed some dark storm clouds forming near the head of the creek. Not unusual for this time of year especially since the weather had been hot and humid for the past several days. Gerry had camp “ship shape”, and after giving him a quick version of the day’s events, we had a sun downer and began to relax. As we talked, the wind picked up rolling a bank of dark formidable clouds down the valley. Noting that the horses had crossed the creek and were grazing on the other side, I thought it prudent that we get them back to camp.

“Looks like we are in for a storm,” I said. “Let’s gather the horses up and tie them in that grove of trees for the night.” It turned out that bit of foresight paid off big time. That chore finished, we were back in camp just as the storm hit with a vengeance. In all the years I have been in the mountains no storm was ever like this one. The rain so intense it was frightening. The lightning strikes were so close and powerful you could smell them. And this was not a quick cloudburst; this storm raged for hours. I will never forget this night. The intensity of the rain continued. We could suddenly hear a sound like a jet plane come roaring down from the head of the creek. We watched intently as a wall of water came smashing down the creek, uprooting trees and destroying everything in its path. Instantly, the creek became impassable. The lightning was still intense as the center of the storm passed over head. Twenty minutes or so later the sound of rushing water came down the creek again followed by a second wall of water. It was incredible. What an hour ago had been a sleepy little creek, easily crossed on foot, was now a raging torrent impassable, even on a good mountain horse. Luckily, both our camp and horses were on a bench well above the creek and out of harm’s way.

The next morning the skies had cleared, but the creek was still raging. We weren’t going anywhere for a day or two. Two days later we had made our way down to the main valley. The storm’s devastation was clearly evident. Uprooted trees dotted the flood plain and huge mud slides covered the creek bottom in several places. The going was slow as we picked our way around the debris. The main trail became impassable, due to a huge mud slide. We turned back and detoured over an old trail we had used years previously, arriving safely back at the trail head several days later.

All in all it had been an awesome trip. The tragedy of Gerry’s ram, the two big rams we did get, and a spectacular storm combined to make the “two and half rams” trip our most memorable.

Blainer
01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Great story!
Great success!
Bloody shame about Gerry's ram.
Very well written.
TFS.

bearass
01-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Great story and a hell of an adventure, thanks for shareing it.

yama49
01-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Bridger, u need to write a book:::::: awesome storys as always... thx for sharing

Kody94
01-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Great story Bridger. Thanks for sharing!

Gus
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Good one Bridger, thanks for the read

rifleman
01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
makes me wanna go sheep hunting tomorrow. what a great story. 3 nice rams

kootenayelkslayer
01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Great story, great rams. Too bad about the one ram, it sure is a terrible feeling that you get when watching a ram roll down the mountain.

BimmerBob
01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Wow, that was one fine read Bridger, I felt like I was right there with you, you have the knack alrighty! Congrats on a super hunt.

Gateholio
01-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Another great story!

And you didn't even need me to split it up for you!:-D

Gilmore
01-07-2010, 07:50 PM
As always Bridger, awesome!!

kennyj
01-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks Bridger. Another excellent story to help us get through winter.
kenny

HD95
01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Another excellent,well written sheep hunting adventure Rich.Those were the days(I'd be guessing)blue jeans and big rams.

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Bridged one day I want to sit at your campfire! That was AWSOME!!!

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Always a joy to read your stories, I couldnt imagine a place like that :cool:

budismyhorse
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
An excellent story and some great advice as well!

Unless you've seen rivers come up like that, its tough to think it can happen.......I wonder if anyone will fess up that they got caught on the wrong side of a flash flood like that;)

Maxx
01-07-2010, 11:02 PM
fantastic story! thanks for sharing!

Ambush
01-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for taking us there with you. You have the kind of stories that immediatly stir up our own memories.
Jack O'Conner would certainly approve.

ydouask
01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
You did an excellent job of telling us of that hunting adventure and once again pointed out how preparedness and awareness of changing conditions in the mountains are so important to having a safe and successful hunt. Thank you.

Bearen 09
01-07-2010, 11:59 PM
I learned one thing, do not camp close to water. That was an awesome story. I really enjoyed it and if you ever need a hand up there pm me and i am in. I am an out of province guy but will gladly tag along, lots of muscle.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

hunter1947
01-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Very nice story you told bridger ,I love these old pic there http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif ,thanks for posting pic and story http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

325 wsm
01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Like everyone else said and please keep m comin.

goatdancer
01-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Another great read. Some very nice sheep. Keep them coming.

01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
That was an excelent story.
i spent some time in a big storm last year, the thunder was in my head as i read your tale!

JDR
01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Terrific story Bridger! Sorry to hear about Gerry's ram...that would be devastating. Haven't been stone hunting yet, but it's stories like yours that are convincing me that I need to.

Kudu
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Briliant, great read - something else I have to do, thanks!!