PDA

View Full Version : buddy just got his Wilderness Authorization to Carry

shekarchi
01-07-2010, 05:21 PM
my buddy applied for his ATT about a 2 weeks a go, and he had an interview on the phone last week. He told them that he has been a competitive shooter for 8 years and once he faxed them his translated awards and competition documents they gave him an authorization to carry his gun on him outside any city limit for 5 years. This means that if we go for a goat or sheep hunt next year, we both will be feeling much safer. I just thought I should let you guys know that it's not that hard to get it.

Bowtime
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Allowed to carry his handgun? are you bowhunting?

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
ATT or ATC? They are different.

If its ATT its just transport, you cant carry it on a hunt.

ATT is a permit issued by the Canadian Firearms Program allowing holders of Restricted and Prohibited class firearms to transport them in Canada. Such a permit is only issued to holders of a Possession and Acquisition Licence (or a Possession Only Licence) endorsed for Restricted (and possibly also Prohibited) firearms at the discretion of the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the province(s) in which the transport occur[1]. A reason must be given for the purpose of transporting them: e.g., to a licensed Shooting range, to a gunsmith, or to a postal outlet to be shipped.

ATC is a permit issued by the government of Canada allowing holders of Restricted and Prohibited class firearms to carry them in Canada. Under this permit, the approved firearms may be carried on the permit holder's person, concealed or unconcealed, loaded or unloaded.

boxhitch
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
?? Interesting........
What are the authorized locations listed on the permit ??
Restricted to place of employment ?

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
ATC is a permit issued by the government of Canada allowing holders of Restricted and Prohibited class firearms to carry them unconcealed.

I dont think you are allowed to carry concealed.

Hopefully they are as easy as you say as I am in the process myself. Now the question is what kind of gun did he get permission for?

Deadshot
01-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Pretty sure that's the permit the trappers get.
Don't know if it's only allowed on said trapline.

timberhunter
01-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Trappers are allowed to carry a 22 cal, thats it for a handgun.

shekarchi
01-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I haven't seen the permit yet myself, but what here is what he described to me:

1- He may take his gun to any shooting range in bc, using any route that he finds reasonable.

2- He may take it to any approved gunsmith at anytime.

3- he may have the gun unloaded and locked in his car while in the city.

4- he can have the gun on him loaded or unloaded while outside city limits.

I will probably get to see the document tomorrow, and let you guys know if these are all correct.

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Your description is that of an ATT (although point 4 isnt what it seems to you). This doesnt include carrying while hunting. ATTs arent hard to get, ATCs are hard to get.

ATCs include those who need for self defense for specific occupations. From what I've been told, under certain circumstances ATCs are allowed to be concealed guns.

KodiakHntr
01-07-2010, 06:22 PM
From what I've been told, under certain circumstances ATCs are allowed to be concealed guns.

What circumstances allowed a handgun to be concealed?

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
ya the first 3 are easy. The last one is hard. The easiest way to tell is to ask you what he does for work and what kind of gun he plans to carry. Then I will have your answer in seconds.

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 06:24 PM
What circumstances allowed a handgun to be concealed?

I dont see why anyone would be allowed to carry concealed. Even a trapper you would think they would want to have it in the open.

Kody94
01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I haven't seen the permit yet myself, but what here is what he described to me:

1- He may take his gun to any shooting range in bc, using any route that he finds reasonable.

2- He may take it to any approved gunsmith at anytime.

3- he may have the gun unloaded and locked in his car while in the city.

4- he can have the gun on him loaded or unloaded while outside city limits.

I will probably get to see the document tomorrow, and let you guys know if these are all correct.

I think your partner may be confused a little. That sounds like a regular ATT to me....which allows him to carry his firearm to or from a range on any "reasonably direct route". "Reasonably" is ultimately defined by law enforcment, not the ATT holder.

This does not allow the holder to take the firearm hunting or hiking or fishing or....

If its an ATC though, then that's different, as others above have said.

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
It must be an ATC because if he was a competitive shooter he wouldn't be excited about getting his att. Good on him! I want to know what he is allowed to carry though, I'm betting it's 44 cal revolver or bigger. Pretty sweet none the less. He must be a free miner!

Kody94
01-07-2010, 06:50 PM
It must be an ATC because if he was a competitive shooter he wouldn't be excited about getting his att. Good on him! I want to know what he is allowed to carry though, I'm betting it's 44 cal revolver or bigger. Pretty sweet none the less. He must be a free miner!

I was thinking the same thing, but am confused by the restrictions outlined. I've seen a few ATCs and they were different than that...very specific about the allowed use.

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Best read the Firearms Act.

ATC - http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/Regulation/S/SOR-98-207.pdf

ATT - http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/Regulation/S/SOR-98-206.pdf

Now if you want the simplest version where my original post came from look at wikipedia,

ATC - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_to_Carry

ATT - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_to_Transport

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Plus he called it wilderness. If you are a full time prospector you can carry for work or so I have heard.

Will
01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I just thought I should let you guys know that it's not that hard to get it.
They are in fact "that hard to get" I've tried:wink:

Not a hope anyone was given an ATC to carry while hunting.........if it was it was done by mistake and or somebody bull$hitted about thier employment.

Get caught with a restricted firearm outside of the ATC's parameters (work) and you will regret it.

ATC's are only issued for those that need them while "working".........sad but true that Sheep hunting is not working....Guides excluded of course:-D

Piperdown
01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi folks, I do have an ATC, Authorization to Carry, ATT is Authorization To Transport. What you have described what he is allowed to do is definately an ATT. Being a professional shooter does not allow you to carry the firearm in the bush period. You may carry one if it is for certain types of work, only for safety and to be on your person at all times, holstered. To be discharged only in caes of imminent danger to your person or fellow worker. Hope this helps. Oh ya and never CONCEALED!

Gateholio
01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
You will feel safer carrying a revolver with you on a sheep hunt? WOn't you have a rifle, too?:wink:

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Nowhere in the ATC act is stipulated it cannot be concealed (only stipulation being holstered). From what I was told each ATC is individually approved by the CFO. Remember ATC's arent only for wilderness, it can be applied to other situations.

todbartell
01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
You will feel safer carrying a revolver with you on a sheep hunt? WOn't you have a rifle, too?:wink:

you idiot, everyone knows handguns are more powerful than rifles

FLHTCUI
01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
my buddy applied for his ATT about a 2 weeks a go, and he had an interview on the phone last week. He told them that he has been a competitive shooter for 8 years and once he faxed them his translated awards and competition documents they gave him an authorization to carry his gun on him outside any city limit for 5 years. This means that if we go for a goat or sheep hunt next year, we both will be feeling much safer. I just thought I should let you guys know that it's not that hard to get it.

A little early for April Fools , don't you think?
Rob

Kody94
01-07-2010, 08:10 PM

ROTFLMAO! That rivals Gatehouse's comment that you have quoted in your signature. :D

Piperdown
01-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Nowhere in the ATC act is stipulated it cannot be concealed (only stipulation being holstered). From what I was told each ATC is individually approved by the CFO. Remember ATC's arent only for wilderness, it can be applied to other situations.

My ATC states may never be concealed, end of story.

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Yes, YOUR ATC,,,,,

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Do you have one weatherby man?

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I do not have an ATC personally.

Kody94
01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Never thought about it before...do LEO's (any of them..RCMP, City Police, CO's, etc) require an individual ATC? If so, that could be where the concealed comes from (u/c police).

vortex
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
If I may ask...what line of work or hobby allows you to obtain a ATC?

KodiakHntr
01-07-2010, 08:38 PM

Same here....And the fact that it is against the criminal code to carry a concealed weapon would override everything else.

One of the guys that I know professionally had to requalify with a different holster after he stated in his phone interview that he was planning on using a chest holster. His application was denied on the spot until he re-shot using a hip holster, because his "shoulder holster would be too easy to conceal under his cruise vest".....

This thread reaks of mis-information.

todbartell
01-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Never thought about it before...do LEO's (any of them..RCMP, City Police, CO's, etc) require an individual ATC? If so, that could be where the concealed comes from (u/c police).

most RCMP dont even have PAL's......:mrgreen:

KodiakHntr
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM

No hobbies will net you one....

Mining (if it is your primary source of income, just going in for a Free Miner permit so you can wander around with a handgun won't work anymore), Forestry, and Trapping. At least, thats what I was told a few months ago by the CFO representative when I did mine.

And it has to be satisfactorily proven to said representative that you cannot carry a longarm due to the amount of other equipment you carry, or brush conditions, etc....Which now rules out Guides from getting them, as the excuse that they might have to go into the brush after a wounded animal no longer applies...."If you could wound it with a rifle, you can finish it with the rifle". (I asked.) Also over ridden by Federal legislation that say no one may hunt with a handgun. Which includes finishing off wounded animals, so there is no feasible reason for a guide to carry a handgun.

At least, that was how it was worded to me, in the last few months, by a guy who approves ATC's.....Take it for what its worth.

bearhunter338-06
01-07-2010, 08:47 PM

careful them there are scolding words

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM

Bingo.

Please guys read the Act, I provided the link.

bighornbob
01-07-2010, 09:02 PM
When I had my ATC (back in 2001 or so) for forestry type work. I tried to get a shoulder holster as sometimes I had to wade creeks waist deep. I was told I could not get a shoulder holster as it was considered concealed it had to be carried on your hip. I told the lady that my cruisers vest basically covered my hip and you could only see about 3/4 inch of barrel sticking below it. She did not care how much could be seen as long as it was on my hip.

BHB

KodiakHntr
01-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Bingo.

Please guys read the Act, I provided the link.

Bingo what? Because Wiki says you can carry concealed it must be so? Sorry, that isn't going to fly when you get questioned by a LEO of one type or another and he's got his knee on the back of your neck and the muzzle of his sidearm pressed into your skull because he noticed a handgun under your clothing.....

And if you are idicating he got his permit due to being in a situation that someone wants to do him grievous harm, someone here would know about it already, because your buddy would of been on the news a few times already giving statements from a hospital bed because he'd already been injured by said threatening individual prior to his getting his ATC. AND he wouldn't be restricted to carry only outside of city limits.

Elkhound
01-07-2010, 09:09 PM
now Bartell...please be careful. Calling someone an idiot is against forum rules, even if it is your son.

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 09:12 PM
As far as I know, no private citizen has ever been issued an ATC with concealment privileges defined.

No private citizen.

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Bingo what? Because Wiki says you can carry concealed it must be so? Sorry, that isn't going to fly when you get questioned by a LEO of one type or another and he's got his knee on the back of your neck and the muzzle of his sidearm pressed into your skull because he noticed a handgun under your clothing.....

And if you are idicating he got his permit due to being in a situation that someone wants to do him grievous harm, someone here would know about it already, because your buddy would of been on the news a few times already giving statements from a hospital bed because he'd already been injured by said threatening individual prior to his getting his ATC. AND he wouldn't be restricted to carry only outside of city limits.

Did you get past wiki and read the actual Act, you know that thing that defines the law and its application across a broad spectrum of situations?

Kody94
01-07-2010, 09:14 PM
now Bartell...please be careful. Calling someone an idiot is against forum rules, even if it is your son.

There should be an exemption when its that funny. :) LOL

Piperdown
01-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Vortex, PM sent

KodiakHntr
01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Did you get past wiki and read the actual Act, you know that thing that defines the law and its application across a broad spectrum of situations?

Ummm, yes. Glanced at the wiki bs, walked over the the file cabinet, and picked out my copy of the Act....Perused it.....So yeah, I got past the wiki and read the Act....

The difference here being, I've actually been through the process.

And that "broad spectrum" is really exceptionally narrow in all practicality.

Sorry, thought for some reason you were the OP, and it was your friend that got the ATC....My mistake. Post edited.

Will
01-07-2010, 09:32 PM

YES they are..........
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/SSC10596.jpg

KodiakHntr
01-07-2010, 09:35 PM
YES they are..........
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/SSC10596.jpg

Big Pistola....

weatherby_man
01-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Ummm, yes. Glanced at the wiki bs, walked over the the file cabinet, and picked out my copy of the Act....Perused it.....So yeah, I got past the wiki and read the Act....

The difference here being, I've actually been through the process.

And that "broad spectrum" is really exceptionally narrow in all practicality.

Sorry, thought for some reason you were the OP, and it was your friend that got the ATC....My mistake. Post edited.

Ok no problem, and I dont want to argue any point. I dont have an ATC or the need for one (although it would be cool!!). I am just passing on info I was given, and I have no reason to suspect the person who told me deliberately misled me. I read what he showed me and based on that took it as a high probability. One scenario he told me about was very high VIP's for the 2010 games and those hired via the government to protect them. Others were govt official body guards, and csis types.

Anyhoo - back to the original topic, I hope the guy gets an ATC but sure sounded like an ATT.

KodiakHntr
01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I'd have to agree there, definately sounds like an ATT.

Have a good evening!

KodiakHntr
01-08-2010, 07:25 PM
The OP ever find out any more about his buddies ATT?

stitch
01-08-2010, 08:25 PM
When I had my ATC (back in 2001 or so) for forestry type work. I tried to get a shoulder holster as sometimes I had to wade creeks waist deep. I was told I could not get a shoulder holster as it was considered concealed it had to be carried on your hip. I told the lady that my cruisers vest basically covered my hip and you could only see about 3/4 inch of barrel sticking below it. She did not care how much could be seen as long as it was on my hip.

BHB

Thats funny....most women want to see more than just the tip :biggrin:

timbermilton
01-08-2010, 08:42 PM
thats one thing i miss about back home in the states. open carry law. i used to ride the cattle range and always carried a revolver on my hip for protection from bear, cougars, wolves, idiots. and we packed them up into the hills for back-up when hunting. hell i used to handgun hunt (.44 mag.) for bear and cougar. i got 3 bear and 2 cougar with a ruger super blackhawk hunter. been here in b.c. for a few years now and sometimes miss it. but i have a bow and it serves me well. i may get the ATC for ranch work up in the interior during round up.

mikeinajeep
01-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I find it funny that we as canadians are not allowed to carry handguns when hunting and most of the rest of the world would think you a fool for not having a back-up. I know alot of RCMP and they really hate the fact they can't even buy bullets to train with the firearms that they carry. Somehow it all went wrong somewhere.

Gateholio
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Big Pistola....

Very big. Here is another view of it

http://crimsonsguns.tripod.com/hb_samaritan.jpg

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

FLHTCUI
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
[quote=mikeinajeep;599656 I know alot of RCMP and they really hate the fact they can't even buy bullets to train with the firearms that they carry. Somehow it all went wrong somewhere.[/quote]

They sure can buy ammo and guns too.
They just need to take the same civilian courses as you and I.
Yes, somewhere along the line the Liberals did go wrong someplace.
Well actually the Conservitives first.
Rob

ChilliwackWinchester
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Maybe a dumb question... but if you are working as an undercover LEO, would you not be granted permission to carry concealed? Perhaps not in all circumstances as it could actually put you in harms way at times, but in some circumstances, it must be allowed and necessary?

Gateholio
01-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Maybe a dumb question... but if you are working as an undercover LEO, would you not be granted permission to carry concealed? Perhaps not in all circumstances as it could actually put you in harms way at times, but in some circumstances, it must be allowed and necessary?

Police have a different set of rules to follow. They can carry concealed.

Long bow
01-11-2010, 01:06 AM
It was my understanding, that you had to qualify with the firearm you are going to carry on an ATC ticket..and that was the only one you could carry.

KodiakHntr
01-11-2010, 06:05 AM
That is correct. You have to qualify with that particular weapon, in the same holster you plan to use.

island grown
01-29-2011, 05:29 PM
where would you have to go to qualify???

Is that with a restricted PAL instructor or the RCMP???