PDA

View Full Version : help please spotting scope recomendations

HailCall
01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I am in need of a spotting scope I don't wanna spend too much like 650 to 850 or so as I will likely use it very little only out of state hunts which are very few. I was looking at the Nikon prostaff scope in 20x60x80 and it seems to be alright I know it is not swaro or Zeiss and can't spend that kinda $$ on glass living where I do. I have the Nikon bino's and am happy with them so I thought the spotter will be good enough for my use. Does anyone else use this spotter also should I get the 20x60 or should I get the lighter and smaller 15x48? I dunno which route to go as I never needed one to hunt here in Eastern Nebraska there is not much glassing done maybe a cornfield or two but thats about it.

BearStump
01-07-2010, 01:33 PM
here's one on the website here for sale that looks pretty decent.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43988

Elkaddict
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
You don't say what you want to use the scope for. If you plan on packing it I would suggest an 80mm scope is a little large and heavy. Not so much a problem if you are glassing from the vehicle. I have a Nikon Fieldscope III ED that I am very happy with. It is a 20-60X60. I do pack it, but I have also considered getting a smaller 50mm scope for regular pack duty. Optics are bright and crisp, although it does get a little grainy and dark above 40X or so when the light starts to fade. I would suggest you check out cameralandny.com. Doug has a very good reputation for being honest and helpful. I noticed in their demo/sample section they have both a Prostaff and a Fieldscope for considerably less than full retail. One of my buddies uses a Bausch and Lomb (now Bushnell) Elite 15-45X60. Nice scope, a little nicer to pack, but not quite as nice optically as the Nikon, but,.. less expensive. Good luck

bighornbob
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
What are you wanting the scope for? Are you going to use it for sheep or goat in the mountains or deer and elk in the fields. If you are just looking at spotting game and seeing if its a bull or a cow, almost any spotter in the 2-300 dollar range will do. If you want to tell the differnce between a 5 point and a six point I would get a more expensive one. If you want to age sheep from a 1/2 mile away get one of the big three.

Are you glassing with it? Or are you checking something out that you have already spotted with binos?

BHB

HailCall
01-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Oh sorry I wanna use it for elk in the future and antelope and deer. I will also use it on the range. Seth

Iltasyuko
01-07-2010, 06:57 PM
You may want to check this thread out on the Vortex spotteing scope.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42349

HailCall
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the advice I am going to get a more compact model 15x45x50 or so I looked at the leupold and really like the goldrings, I also liked the leica telvid 62 with added lens but it was 1500 vs 900 so likely I am going with the leupold, Seth

HD95
01-07-2010, 08:10 PM
For what its worth,the Leupold 12-40x60 is fantastic.(Gold ring)As a bonus for you,its American made...=Jobs.