PDA

View Full Version : Talking about slams and things........

Kudu
01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
The Origins of the Macnab

To shoot a free-ranging buck (Deer), catch a game fish and bag a brace of game birds all in one day during legal shooting light, all taken ethically and in the spirit of the sport – this is the challenge of the Macnab hunt – the origins of which are interesting if somewhat vague.

The character, John Macnab, was the creation of writer John Buchan in 1925. In the eponymous book, three prominent Scottish landowners receive a challenging note telling them that one John Macnab intends to poach from their estates without being caught. If he is caught, he will donate money to a good cause.

The reactions of the three landowners differ considerably. Sightings of the insolent sportsman provide conflicting evidence as to his identity, prompting speculation as to whether he is a gentleman or a tramp. It turns out that he is indeed a gentleman.

In the story, two hunters and a fisherman were involved – all three acted as John Macnab. This greatly confused the landlords. Two of them had to poach a deer each, and one had to catch a salmon (no mention was made of birds) all while the landowners had been pre-warned of their intentions.

The landlords hired men to keep guard 24 hours a day and Macnab rated his chances of success at one in a hundred. The hunters planned their actions meticulously and made use of several helpers, mainly to distract the game guards. The first hunter was caught but escaped, while the second one managed successfully to achieve his goal. The fisherman also very cleverly caught his salmon.

This became a sporting quest for us in South Africa, It may sound easy - try it - it is a real challenge.

I have to say after many (at least 5 in as many years) I finally achieved my first Macnab hunt in the Eastern Cape. My animals where a mountain Rhe Buck, a trout (weaseled out of a small stream on a two weight) and a brace of Blue grouse shot high on the slopes with a 20 guage.

I think I might enjoy challenging my sons to the same Macnab hunt. Perhaps a salmon / steel-head, mule-deer and brace of grouse? all in region 2 /8 in one day?- is this possible - is this a real challenge?

Will
01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Yer living the dream :-D

..........most would be quite content with a Mule deer, Rainbow trout and a bag full of grouse:wink:

lip_ripper00
01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Hmmmm, sounds like fun..................:mrgreen:

Kudu
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Yer living the dream :-D

..........most would be quite content with a Mule deer, Rainbow trout and a bag full of grouse:wink:

Why not?

Go out for the day with rod, gun and rifle. some serious scouting will be needed for the deer beforehand / then down to the river for the fish - the game bird brace, be it grouse pheasant or duck will always be the challenge for me.

It brings something to the hunt - maybe a challenge to big for some :wink:

As I said, it took me many attempts to do it - but was it ever sweet when when I did.

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I like that Kudu! Seems like it could be a fun one to try to plan out. Where to do it would be the question. I guess you get the deer early and then head straight for the birds? The fish should be the easiest of the bunch so leave that to last I suppose. A cool challange anyways!

Crazy_Farmer
01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I think I might enjoy challenging my sons to the same Macnab hunt. Perhaps a salmon / steel-head, mule-deer and brace of grouse? all in region 2 /8 in one day?- is this possible - is this a real challenge?

I would think thats a good area to try for it, the fishing and waterfowling wouldnt be a problem, just gotta get the deer then you're good to go.

Kudu
01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I like that Kudu! Seems like it could be a fun one to try to plan out. Where to do it would be the question. I guess you get the deer early and then head straight for the birds? The fish should be the easiest of the bunch so leave that to last I suppose. A cool challange anyways!

I'm booked for ten days on the Muskwa and Tuchodi Rivers in August with my son, they tell me there are plenty of Elk and Moose up there, Fish in the rivers and with a bit of luck, a brace of birds might be had as well.......

This could be my opportunity for a Canadian Macnab, and a fine way to start the challenge with my fifteen year old.

Anyhow should others choose to try - I might be persuaded to put up a bottle of fine single malt whiskey for the first across the finished line - One has to keep the Scottish heritage alive......

What say you?

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 05:52 PM
What say you?

I guess it is cat season so a cat, a duck, and a fish?? I best get to work on the plans.

horshur
01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
The small town McNab.........load of firewood with a two point buck and some ditch chickens.....happens every year.

Cariboospeed
01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
What say you?

How many in a 'brace'?

Chuck
01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
How many in a 'brace'?

Two is a "Brace", but I always thought that a brace was used to bore holes through wood - by hand. They certainly have a strange language in Britain, not like us here who speak the "Queens" english! Ha Ha........

So how would you pronounce this word "Reading"? If you say Reeding then your wrong! Ha Ha...