PDA

View Full Version : Facts On Scent

proguide66
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I ordered and watched Paul Trepas video on wolf trapping , was pretty good.
One GREAT piece on the video was an interveiw with a licenced ' person tracker'. He was certified and has yrs of tracking with canines.The guy was added on the video to give some strong facts on scent.\
He said that we all give off scent particles NO STOP kinda like ' Pigpen' off Charle Brown...we all give off a cloud of scent 24/7 wich stays on the ground for a minimum 5 days. He also gave off the facts about how insane the smelling power of a wolf is ( I lent the video out and forget names of what is inside our noses) anyway..we have around 35000 'things' inside us for detecting scent , a wolf has over 2 million..:shock:....good thing on learning the FACTS is the amount of time saved.....no more sergical gloves , just use your bare hands to set trapping gear....there is NO WAY a wolf is NOT going to know you have been there....he said unless you wear some type of space suit.
anyway.....just think how many buisiness's are making a killing on ' cover scents' and or so called ' scent lock clothing' :lol::lol:
The ONLY way a product could eliminate our scent is if it was PROVEN to collect each particle that came off us, dissolve it AND replaced it with a cover scent particle.....
ONLY way to hunt successfully is to stay on top[ of the wind boys !!

CanuckShooter
01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
If the sumbeach wolf can smell me over the skunk cover scent all the power to him.....there is more than one way to outfox mr lobo my friend.:mrgreen:

Chuck
01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
If the sumbeach wolf can smell me over the skunk cover scent all the power to him.....there is more than one way to outfox mr lobo my friend.:mrgreen:

Maybe that's why all your friends abandon you come trapping season! Lol.

Hank Hunter
01-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks for posting that info, never bought scentlock clothing, now I know I wont

Will
01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm sure I read thier was a lawsuit awhile back over one of the "Scent lock clothing lines?"..........False advertising or something to that effect.

The crap doesn't work.........

tomahawk
01-05-2010, 09:10 PM
As noted in other threads, "down wind" is the best method!

Jelvis
01-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey Will the smell ? Whats green has four wheels and flies-whew-lol-gotyougood...

Will
01-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey Will the smell ? Whats green has four wheels and flies-whew-lol-gotyougood...
Sorry Jelly I don't get it........:confused:

I haven't had enough rum tonight to understand you yet ! :?

Gateholio
01-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Depending on the locale, it might be several different colours, and no flies int he winter months...
:mrgreen:

Jelvis
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Did you have a flat line there Willard ? Brain gas-lol-?
four wheels - green color - and FLYS - lmao -
Jel-some are white with emblems on the doors ah -

Will
01-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Did you have a flat line there Willard ? Brain gas-lol-?
four wheels - green color - and FLYS - lmao -
Jel-some are white with emblems on the doors ah -
No need to get personnal............:cry:

LMAO ! :mrgreen:
There's still flies.........even in winter, Humans are Pigshttp://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/puke.gif

Fisher-Dude
01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
One GREAT piece on the video was an interveiw with a licenced ' person tracker'. He was certified and has yrs of tracking with canines.The guy was added on the video to give some strong facts on scent.\
He said that we all give off scent particles NO STOP kinda like ' Pigpen' off Charle Brown...we all give off a cloud of scent 24/7 wich stays on the ground for a minimum 5 days. He also gave off the facts about how insane the smelling power of a wolf is ( I lent the video out and forget names of what is inside our noses) anyway..we have around 35000 'things' inside us for detecting scent , a wolf has over 2 million..:shock:....good thing on learning the FACTS is the amount of time saved.....no more sergical gloves , just use your bare hands to set trapping gear....there is NO WAY a wolf is NOT going to know you have been there....he said unless you wear some type of space suit.
anyway.....just think how many buisiness's are making a killing on ' cover scents' and or so called ' scent lock clothing' :lol::lol:
The ONLY way a product could eliminate our scent is if it was PROVEN to collect each particle that came off us, dissolve it AND replaced it with a cover scent particle.....

Yep. Saw a deal on TV where they determined that ONE molecule of human breath was enough to put a whitetailed deer on alert. So, wear your scent lock and quit breathing eh? Or, just watch the wind when you're hunting. :wink:

gitnadoix
01-05-2010, 11:53 PM
What I found funny about the magic scent lock clothing that costs so much and makes you invisable was, (sarcasm) if it was actualy possible for it to work in scientific way would not just rubber raingear and and rubber boots do the same thing trap all yer stink in, sure you would sweat but they are a lot cheaper. As for you breath......oh well.....

hunter1947
01-06-2010, 05:16 AM

Steve if it is true about the what he is saying about scents you put on and they will do nothing for you.

The way I look at it is it sure won't hurt to put on elk scent ,deer or others to help cover up your human scent.

I put bull elk belly patches on my belt when I hunt for elk ,I also put on elk scent wafer on my hat doing this I would think it would help somewhat on eliminating your human scent.

Lets look at it this way it sure can't hurt anything by putting on these scents as for the wind direction I always hunt into it but 60% of the time it does not work for me ,the wind is always changing direction in the area I hunt for elk.....

proguide66
01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Steve if it is true about the what he is saying about scents you put on and they will do nothing for you.

The way I look at it is it sure won't hurt to put on elk scent ,deer or others to help cover up your human scent.

I put bull elk belly patches on my belt when I hunt for elk ,I also put on elk scent wafer on my hat doing this I would think it would help somewhat on eliminating your human scent.

Lets look at it this way it sure can't hurt anything by putting on these scents as for the wind direction I always hunt into it but 60% of the time it does not work for me ,the wind is always changing direction in the area I hunt for elk.....

I'm sure it wont hurt to do any of the above....makes me remember one time yrs ago I was guideing a guy for moose/grizz , our 10 day elk season had just ended the previous hunt.The two of us were sitting on a knob in a thick old burn and had a small fire smoldering away for lunch.It was dead quiet and all the sudden without warning a 6X6 that mighta went 330-340B&C ROARED at us from maybe 15 yards downwind!!..scared the shit outta us , lol ,bugger just stood there staring at us then meandered away,, ...imagine if I had some kind of purchased 'scent' on that day I would be preaching to buy it now!!..lol....goe's to show that anything can happen out there at times!!!

The tracker on the video said he was in on a police call with his hound at a mall....the 'perp' was tracked and caught all from just the scent on a cigaret butt....he was also tracked through a busy mall:shock:...

BiG Boar
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I think you can eliminate some of your scent, and you can use some things to cover it up. However after doing any kind of hike your body is going to be sweating and putting off some odor noticable to animals. I say dont waste money on that stuff, just try to keep clean as possible and watch the wind.

I have one newbie I hunt with who stood 15 yards away from 7 does and a 3 point buck upwind for 15 minutes. They were walking right towards him. And eventually he had to shoe them away. He was afraid the 3 point would stick him. Now he doesnt believe me to think about the wind when making an approach.

Cariboospeed
01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't believe you can, "eliminate" or "cover up" your sent. You just add to it.

You can have a shower so you don't smell like last nights camp fire, and brush your teeth so your breath doesn't smell like road kill in the summer, but you still smell every bit like a human.

Put some cow in heat sent on your clothes and you smell like a human that's rolled in cow pee. Sometimes animals will react unexpectedly to your sent out of curiosity, no experience to know that its danger, or just overlook it and focus on the reek of cow pee, but they still smell you.

... Unless you hunt in a space suit.

Blk Arrow
01-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I have read that dogs, a domestic wolf, differentiate smells like humans do colours. We can see the whole picture as well as pick out the individual colours.

peterrum3
01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Yes, dogs can differentiate human scent. If you ever get a chance talk to a police dog handler about human scentand his dogs capabilities and it will convince you not to bother wasting money on "scent remover" products. Gotta go have some rum now so that i can decipher what Jel is saying. Cheers:-D

killman
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
So what do "you" use to check the wind?

chinook
01-07-2010, 08:58 PM
If you want to guarantee your scent lock gear to work, put it on and watch Wild TV. I guarantee thats the only time that stuff will ever work. You will never cover or hide your burping, farting, sweating stink of human. Ever. Pay attention to scent but you'll never eliminate it or cover it.

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I always said to guys who fell for that scent lock crap to stick their nose by my ass when I fart in their scent lock pants and tell me how it smells :lol:
Glad you spent your money on that ? :roll:

Gateholio
01-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Does ANYONE use Scent Lock clothing? I thougth only Americans in tree stands wore it...I don't know anyone with it.:wink:

Will
01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I always said to guys who fell for that scent lock crap to stick their nose by my ass when I fart in their scent lock pants and tell me how it smells :lol:
Glad you spent your money on that ? :roll:
:lol::lol:
:lol::lol:

Ron.C
01-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not afraid to admit it, I do everything I can to try and eliminate my scent as much as possible. This starts with showering and washing my cloths in scent free soap and storing the cloths in plastic sealed bins.

Do I think I can ever be totally scent free to the point where I want to hunt upwind of an animal, no of course not. But where I hunt, predictable winds seem to be pretty tough to judge. I've been caught in swirling winds enough times and still had animals still come in that I am sure reducing my scent has made a difference. The single best example I can think of was 4 years ago opening day archery elk first set up. We had unknowingly walked past some elk that had to have been in a clearcut on our way into the timber to setup. At first light, a bull came in to our calling from behind, dead down wind of us. We were using cow elk scent and a decoy as well as our usual scent "reduction" routine. Ultimately, he caught me moving and bolted, only to cross back and forth several times at about 60 yards thinking about coming back in. Did this bull smell us? I'm sure he did. Before he saw me move, was he more interested with the decoy/elk scent and sounds the he was worried about the level of our scent blowing toward him? I'm sure of that too.

The point I'm trying to make is that in my opinion "as a bowhunter" if you do what you can to reduce your scent to a level that is in my mind less intrusive to the animals, then you stand a better chance on getting close when the wind is unpredictable and swirling, or if you get lucky and have a animal that may be cautious, but still curious enough to convince with call/decoys etc

As far a scent Loc Clothing, my wife bought me a Scent Loc coat for Christams 2 year ago. At that time, I was storing my hunting cloths with cedar branches in the bins. I just threw this coat in the bin. A couple weeks later I was going into my bins to get my raingear and the cedar smell from the bin was non-existant.

So, yes the carbon lining matereial did virtually eliminate that noticeable cedar smell, from my human perspective. Would it do the same for human scent?? Perhaps, from a human perspective with a human nose. Could a deer still smell it??? Most likely. But would it be at a level that was less intrusive?????? I say yes.

mitchell
01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
i bought pauls dvd ae well i think using gloves cant hurt

Wild_Dog
01-07-2010, 11:59 PM
so did I quit smoking for nothing then!

crap

GoatGuy
01-08-2010, 05:05 AM
As for you breath......oh well.....

That's the good thing about being a hunter. The animals will probably just figure it's bull shit deposited somewhere in the bush and continue on their way. With one of them fancy suits they still won't smell the person.