PDA

View Full Version : Wolf/Cougar Hunting questions.

BOOTS!
01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I've been following the board here for a while, and it seems like everyone is a good person and there is lots of knowledge out here, so i feel pretty safe in asking this and hope it doesn't backfire on me.

With the end of deer season, it seems many are still out trapping and hunting. But as I read through the threads I can't help but ask myself one question, and I really hope I don't offend anyone here, but why do some want to kill an animal such as a wolf or cougar?

Now, when I say that please don't let the ambiguity of the internet get your dander up. I'm by no means judging or putting others down for what they do. While I don't think it's for me, it does't take away any of my freedoms and it's legal, so I don't entirely care what you do in your spare time. But I just gotta know why some do it.

What I'm curious about is the drive to do this kind of hunting, what is it about it that you love so much? What kind of skills do you get to exercise in wolf/cougar hunting that you do not in Deer/Moose/Elk hunting?

What about after the kill? Can you eat cougar or wolf? Are the pelts sold and if so, who buys them and what do they go for?

Is this also a good wildlife management aspect? Less cougars/wolves mean more deer?

I really hope that I don't tick anyone off, as that's not my intent. I'm just trying to figure out why people hunt these animals. :)

mark
01-04-2010, 08:57 PM
There are many reasons, different people do it for different reasons. Predator control would be my #1 reason!

ChilliwackWinchester
01-04-2010, 09:02 PM
It's very much a skill, it's a tradition, it's a hobby, it's an art, it's a service to the ungulates, it's a source of income to some, it's many things to many people.

ROEBUCK
01-04-2010, 09:13 PM
(1)thrill of the chase for me,i love to hunt any legal quarry! (2)and if by killing a few predators I save a few deer thats an added bonus!
(3)also its an excuse to hunt/trap in the close season ! the more time you spend in the bush the better hunter/trapper you will become!

KB90
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Here are my reasons:

1) I can say that having a predator come running into your call is one of the most exciting things that can happen while out hunting :)

2) It gets me off my ass and out into the bush

3) More shooting practice.

4) Predator Control

5) I can either sell the hide to cover some of my expenses, or keep it for my future trophy room :) They look great imo.

6) I would think the challenge of getting a wolf or cougar would be a reward in itself. It makes a true trophy as they are very elusive and many people have not even seem them let alone ad the chance to hunt them.

yukon john
01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Predator control, wolves are out of control in many places in this country. Often they are aided by logging roads, seismic lines and snow machine trails. If we give the predators these huge advantages we also must control them as to not decimate prey populations. I havent hunted cats but in talking to some cat hunters once you see hounds you trained yourself tree a cougar its the only hunting you will do

MEATEATER
cougar hunting is the most fun you'll have with your clothes on!

landphil
Though I've never eaten cougar, I've heard that it is one of the best wild meats. Sounds kinda dirty though:mrgreen:

I'm thinking of trying a little coyote hunting this winter for fun and predator control, never done it before though.

snareman1234
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I am a trapper and I trap

Bobcat
Coyote
Beaver
Skunk
Mink
Otter
Muskrat
Raccoon
Etc.

A few good reasons are:

As stated above predator control. Everyone and their dog is killing deer and moose while the animals listed above, are left alone. So either we leave everything alone (including deer and moose) and let them all be and we remove our encroaching towns, or we do a little surplus harvesting to keep populations healthy.

Another as far as skills go, obviously you have never tried to kill a wolf. Because If you think trapping a wolf (or in my experience bobcat or coyote) is not comparable to deer you are wrong. To trap an animal, you must convince it to step on a trap pan that is about 1.5"x2". This pan that is 3 square inches is stitting amongst the bobcats range of sometimes 5 miles. So if you can get a moose( which or deer, which are nowhere near as leary as a coyote, bobcat or wolf), to step into a clearcut so you can shoot it, thats pretty dam good, but you really got to know animal habits, movements and almost how the think to get them to step on that pan, or stick its head through the snare that is only about an inch wider than its head

Spy
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Though I've never eaten cougar, I've heard that it is one of the best wild meats. Sounds kinda dirty though:mrgreen:

I'm thinking of trying a little coyote hunting this winter for fun and predator control, never done it before though.

I have heard coyote's don't taste to bad either!It just depends on,
in which establishment you eat them in , or how long you boil them for.

Moose Guide
01-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I used to hunt cougar but I didn't enjoy it much so I got rid of my dog, but cougar roast is excellent eating!!! Most predators(wolves especialy) are feast and famine hunters, they will totaly wipe out the prey and move on or die off. The trick is to maintain a balance! I still hunt wolves and coyotes but cougar is to much work!!!

Gateholio
01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
If there is a sustainable population, then why not hunt it?

BOOTS!
01-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Wow, what a great response!

So what exactly IS cougar hunting then? Stalking a set of tracks through the snow? sending a pack of hounds out? Going to Boone Country Caberet and buying them a Bud Lite Lime?

Gilmore
01-05-2010, 09:33 AM
....Going to Boone Country Caberet and buying them a Bud Lite Lime?

Can't speak for everyone but that is my prefered way of spot/stalking cougars. Haven't tried that particular bait but will give it a go next time.:wink:

Clint_S
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Cougar hunting is:

An addiction.

A lot of work and expense.

A gut busting hike through deep snow going places you would never in your right mind go.

A cause for numerous divorces.

A waste of time and gas about 80% of the time.

A reminder of how feeble and what poor hunters humans are.

An opportunity to hunt not only the fall but all winter as well.

A way to hunt where the end goal is not killing but merely taking a picture and walking away.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/123109-1.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/123109-3.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/Stubby_01/123109-3.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

tomcat
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Right on Clint S; I have killed a lot of cougar but the best memorys are of those I have treed while training pups and let go, like the one in the picture herewith, which I believe I treed 4 times over a period of three years. http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/tomcat37-2009/Tomcat.jpg

digger dogger
01-05-2010, 08:41 PM
clint s pretty much explained alot of cat hunting.
it is a lot of work, all year long.. there is no feeling like seeing a cat in a tree for the 1st time, but sometimes the challenge to get to the tree is so punishing you wonder, what the f*** am i doing. but the last 100 yds to a treed cat is a adrenaline rush you'll crave..
and i'll kill any wolf i see in a legal situation cause they kill dogs..

BOOTS!
01-05-2010, 09:21 PM
A way to hunt where the end goal is not killing but merely taking a picture and walking away.

And that is the most respectful and honest thing I've read in a long long time.

Thank-you for posting that, people ask me why i don't kill most of the fish I catch, because I'm satisfied with the pictures.