PDA

View Full Version : Pitt Lake Elk Herd

gamer
01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Does anybody know how big this herd has grown? Spoke to someone at Coquitlam watershed today and he says he has seen elk on the west side of Coquitlam lake last year. Was hoping that eventually they would open up a LEH for that herd. Anybody in the know?

MikeH
01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm interested in that also.

FLHTCUI
01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
gamer, when you spoke to someone at the watershed was it someone you know or where you just visiting?
I have heard that the herd is doing very well and that the locals up there are really hoping for an LEH Season as well.
If anyone knows who the Biologist for those transplants is , maybe a hypothetical question on what sort of numbers are needed before an LEH is considered.
Or wish-full thinking maybe but, does anyone know the numbers and when the heard was transplanted on the Sunshine Coast and use those projections for a possible Pitt Lake Opening??
Again just a possibility.
Rob

Dirty
01-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Theoretically, couldn't you blast one with the special LEH?

mijinkal
01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Special LEH??
I don't know what it is, but it sounds good already.

darrin6109
01-04-2010, 08:32 PM
no elk up pitt

gamer
01-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Does a special LEH allow hunting in an area without a GOS or regular LEH?

jml11
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Does a special LEH allow hunting in an area without a GOS or regular LEH?

You are correct, there has to be an existing GOS or LEH season in place, however, the special LEH allows you to hunt outside of the regular seasons (before and/or after the regular GOS or LEH season).

gamer
01-04-2010, 09:05 PM
gamer, when you spoke to someone at the watershed was it someone you know or where you just visiting?

I got the phone number for the watershed at the end of pipeline and called to ask about it's boundaries and access. Guy on the phone was very helpful. Also asked about grizzly he said they haven't seen any in the watershed yet.
Read an article written in 2006 that claimed a LEH hunt could be possible in 5-10yrs. and it got me wondering.

4 point
01-04-2010, 09:23 PM
A workmate of mine had the 2009 Special Sheep tag. He took a nice ram around Castelgar. From what he told me it had to be in an area with an GOS or LEH draw. You just have longer time to fill it and it's BC wide. Another guy I know if in town had the Special Elk tag.

KB90
01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
How does one receive one of these exclusive special LEH's ?

gamer
01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
It costs $15.75 instead of the 6 for entry and there is only one for elk and one for sheep. Does not affect your regular LEH chances.

CHEAM
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I found a article that said the elk had increased from 23 to 40 in two years and that was written in 2006. Ive never seen them but I have seen elk tracks on the sand bars up there while fishing. google (pitt river elk)and you will find the article.

MikeH
01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
What does GOS stand for?I'm keeping an eye on the area.I can be patient:mrgreen:.

gamer
01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
General Open Season

bowhunterbruce
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
years ago i lived on the sunshine coast and ran into the elk herds many times all over the place while out on my fishing adventures.every time i came accross a herd i did a count on bulls, cows and calfs and on my way home i would stop into the co's office in sechelt and file a report as to where they were.it seamed as though the elk herds there grew on average of 25% every year after they were transplanted there from the island.
the year i finally got a draw for the bow zone,there was an estimated 2500 animals up and down the entire sunshine coast from port mellon right up to edgemont .if my memory serves me correct it took around 10 years before they opened it up to leh (dont quote me though) and now that herd is being used to supply many other regions with transplants.
be patient,it will happen. in the mean time you can always go out and practice your calling technics and camera operating abilities
bruce