PDA

View Full Version : how many of you have taken a grizzly ?

gutpile
01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
how many of you have killed a grizzly bear and what did you use on the bear ? and what region in the province ? and how did the bear react? are they the same as killing a black bear ? i know that black bears can be hard to kill. I've killed a number of black bears. :-|

Kudu
01-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Get hold of a copy of Clayton Mack's "Grizzlies and white guys" - You will know a hell of a lot more about Grizzlies and hunting them, after a fabulous read.

BiG Boar
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Saw one killed this year. Same as a black bear pretty much. That was on the west coast. Skull and skin was taken. Pretty easy to kill with a cannon.

GoatGuy
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Took one on a date once.

Used charm and good looks.

Region 8.

She talked about hair, what other girls were wearing, famous people who I've never heard of, rang up a huge bill, didn't eat any her meal, said 'like' every other word, was pretty much a vegetarian and finally 'don't like, really like hunting or like, anything like that, that's like, cruel'.

Way worse than any black bear.

Wouldn't recommend it.

gary murray
01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Took one on a date once.

Region 8.

She talked about hair, what other girls were wearing, famous people who I've never heard of, rang up a huge bill, didn't eat any her meal, said 'like' every other word, was pretty much a vegetarian and finally 'don't like, really like hunting or like, anything like that, that's like, cruel'.

Wouldn't recommend it.
And those ones are protected and are illegal to kill :cry:.

srupp
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
hmmmm been in on over 30 grizzly bear harvests...:mrgreen: of those "numerous" were mine..lost count of the black bears ..

All grizzlies and black bears were harvested in region 5..so far....

Most of mine were taken with a .270..300 mag...338 for G bears...270 for the blacks..

As for "Clayton MACKS " book..hmmm its someone elses words 'ABOUT" Clayton...and several things just dont mesh with what Clayton personaly told me and now what someone else is saying..... mixed feelings on that one..Clayton was one of THE finest bear guys I have ever met or heard about Gary James Sheldon is the other..THE finest AUTHORITY alive in BC on Grizzly bears...his book is a MUST READ..

CHEERS
sTEVEN

IronNoggin
01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
First, I am generally not one who hunts bears. Not by ANY means suggesting it ain't right, simply not for me is all.

That said, over my life I have been put in the position whereupon I had to kill several black bears, and one grizzly. The latter was amongst the toughest animals I've ever dealt with, and that says something, I've dealt with a few...

This incident occurred on the Yukon North Slope. I was working then as a fisheries biologist, so had several field programs we were operating there. One particular Barren-ground boar took a dislike to our presence, and well let us know that. First year we came upon him, he was overly aggressive, and resulted in my team's withdrawal from the area, hoping he would vacate and let us get to our intended business. One incident. Second year, three incidences, each escalating in seriousness for me and the crew. Final event, he actually targeted on myself and an Inuit buddy, chased us into the ocean while running right by the balance (4 men) in the crew. We, and they escaped, but I had simply had enough of his belligerent behavior.

Spoke with the Region's bear biologist, who noted this particular animal (he had a very identifiable scar) was also a problem to them. He had been positively identified as being responsible for the deaths of several cubs, and even 2 sows within the past year. You'd be doing the world a favor were you and one of your Inuit buddies put him down was his final comment...

That same fall, a handful of us were hunting caribou in that animal's domain. Ran across him digging his winter hole, without him understanding I had. GPS'd the location, and awaited the following spring...

A very good Buddy and I then set out to deal with him - first time I intentionally set out to engage a bear of any sort, although as noted, a few had fallen before my guns previously due to pressing circumstances...

The grizzly had been out of his hole for perhaps two days. We set off on the track, overnighting on the Slope along the way. He knew he was being pursued, and was wasting no time in attempting to put distance between us.

When we did catch up, he had laid a very clever ambush, walking up the center of a creek that wanders well up into the hills, then button hooking to drop back into a blind canyon to lie in ambush. I was on the high side of that canyon, my partner down in the bottom. Just as my buddy approached the junction with the blind canyon, the bear sprung his trap. Less than 30 feet from my Partner at that time, and coming like a locomotive!

How my Buddy's snow machine managed to stay ahead of him through the climb up the canyon wall, we'll never know! The instant the bear broke the top of the wall, now less than 20 feet from my Buddy, I fired into his chest with a 220 grain "Bear-Stopper" out of my 300 Weatherby. Distance, 75 yards. NO effect! Never witnessed that before, and gotta admit it somewhat rattled me! :confused:

My partner put distance between them now that he was up on the flat, and then turned, jumped up, and fired his 270 into the bear's chest. THAT he didn't like, snapping both sides a few times before resuming his attack. Holey Chit I recall thinking, Damn TOUGH one! As the now enraged animal closed on my Friend, I fired again, again into the chest. The grizzly staggered, but immediately resumed his charge! CheRIST! :-?

Now standing on his machine's seat, my Partner fired down between the shoulder blades, through the hump at near point blank range. This toppled him, the front pinion gears disabled. BUT that damn bear, true to his nature, took several minutes to expire. And with his absolute last ounce of energy, was still pushing along with his hind legs in an attempt to get to my Buddy.

Aftwerwards, I noticed a slight tremble in my hands, hackles firmly up as we approached to make damn certain the job was done. It was.

In my hunting career, spanning 40 plus years now, I have never run into a tougher animal. He ate more lead at close range than anything I've encountered in North America and Africa combined. Perhaps this was due to the nature of the species, barren-ground bears HAVE to be Tough to survive where they do. Perhaps due to the nature of the individual, he was a rather nasty one. Regardless, I gained a whole new world of respect that day, something I will carry to the grave methinks.

Cheers,
Nog

01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I killed one June 2007, with a 325 wsm. Broke it's shoulder so it dropped immediately. My hunting partner has killed two. His first took 5 shots from a 300 wm, and had to be tracked over 300 yards. Tough animals. Make the first shot count.

My next will be with a bow....:wink:

MichaelB
01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
First, I am generally not one who hunts bears. Not by ANY means suggesting it ain't right, simply not for me is all.

That said, over my life I have been put in the position whereupon I had to kill several black bears, and one grizzly. The latter was amongst the toughest animals I've ever dealt with, and that says something, I've dealt with a few...

This incident occurred on the Yukon North Slope. I was working then as a fisheries biologist, so had several field programs we were operating there. One particular Barren-ground boar took a dislike to our presence, and well let us know that. First year we came upon him, he was overly aggressive, and resulted in my team's withdrawal from the area, hoping he would vacate and let us get to our intended business. One incident. Second year, three incidences, each escalating in seriousness for me and the crew. Final event, he actually targeted on myself and an Inuit buddy, chased us into the ocean while running right by the balance (4 men) in the crew. We, and they escaped, but I had simply had enough of his belligerent behavior.

Spoke with the Region's bear biologist, who noted this particular animal (he had a very identifiable scar) was also a problem to them. He had been positively identified as being responsible for the deaths of several cubs, and even 2 sows within the past year. You'd be doing the world a favor were you and one of your Inuit buddies put him down was his final comment...

That same fall, a handful of us were hunting caribou in that animal's domain. Ran across him digging his winter hole, without him understanding I had. GPS'd the location, and awaited the following spring...

A very good Buddy and I then set out to deal with him - first time I intentionally set out to engage a bear of any sort, although as noted, a few had fallen before my guns previously due to pressing circumstances...

The grizzly had been out of his hole for perhaps two days. We set off on the track, overnighting on the Slope along the way. He knew he was being pursued, and was wasting no time in attempting to put distance between us.

When we did catch up, he had laid a very clever ambush, walking up the center of a creek that wanders well up into the hills, then button hooking to drop back into a blind canyon to lie in ambush. I was on the high side of that canyon, my partner down in the bottom. Just as my buddy approached the junction with the blind canyon, the bear sprung his trap. Less than 30 feet from my Partner at that time, and coming like a locomotive!

How my Buddy's snow machine managed to stay ahead of him through the climb up the canyon wall, we'll never know! The instant the bear broke the top of the wall, now less than 20 feet from my Buddy, I fired into his chest with a 220 grain "Bear-Stopper" out of my 300 Weatherby. Distance, 75 yards. NO effect! Never witnessed that before, and gotta admit it somewhat rattled me! :confused:

My partner put distance between them now that he was up on the flat, and then turned, jumped up, and fired his 270 into the bear's chest. THAT he didn't like, snapping both sides a few times before resuming his attack. Holey Chit I recall thinking, Damn TOUGH one! As the now enraged animal closed on my Friend, I fired again, again into the chest. The grizzly staggered, but immediately resumed his charge! CheRIST! :-?

Now standing on his machine's seat, my Partner fired down between the shoulder blades, through the hump at near point blank range. This toppled him, the front pinion gears disabled. BUT that damn bear, true to his nature, took several minutes to expire. And with his absolute last ounce of energy, was still pushing along with his hind legs in an attempt to get to my Buddy.

Aftwerwards, I noticed a slight tremble in my hands, hackles firmly up as we approached to make damn certain the job was done. It was.

In my hunting career, spanning 40 plus years now, I have never run into a tougher animal. He ate more lead at close range than anything I've encountered in North America and Africa combined. Perhaps this was due to the nature of the species, barren-ground bears HAVE to be Tough to survive where they do. Perhaps due to the nature of the individual, he was a rather nasty one. Regardless, I gained a whole new world of respect that day, something I will carry to the grave methinks.

Cheers,
Nog

Great Story! I enjoyed the read, thanks for sharing!

I only hunted for grizzly one time and didn't see one. But I feel they are impressive animals that deserve great respect. This story seconds that.

MB

mr.280
01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Took this big Mt.Grizz in the 90's with a buddy.We bolth lined up on it.The boar was on a slide, we bolth touched of a shot at the same time at 420 yards aiming high with bipods.We bolth hit the bear right in the shoulder he did a summersalt and never moved again. I was shoting a .338 win mag and my bud had a .300 win mag.
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/frederick280/mikesgrizz.jpg

sawmill
01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I`v taken 2,both with a .270. they went down pretty well,depends how you shoot.Don`t screw up the first shot though.

yukon john
01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I had to kill a grizzly bear in self defense in 08 it was only a 6.5 ft. bear and i shot it at 15 ft in full charge with a 338mag 250grain nosler partion i hit it at the throat and the bullet exited behind the ribs leaving a hole you could throw a mule through i backed off 20 yards and the thing manage to make another run at me i only had 1 shot left (3shots in a tikka 338 and i had given it a warning at 50 yards) so i busted it inside ten feet right in the front of the shoulder and it still layed there snapping at me that's almost 8000ftlbs of energy in 10 seconds and it barely went down. as a side note i turned the hide into Yukon fish and game and after an hour of grilling they decided that it was 100 percent the bears fault and it had been stalking me so my advice is shoot till they aint movin' let the taxidermist fix the holes My wife killed one this year it didnt go far. took 2 shots.

Orangethunder
01-04-2010, 04:12 PM
I shot one in self defense and it felt like I was trying to stop a truck. Two of us unloaded at 10 yards as the bear charged. We managed 5 shots and got away unscathed. Shooting a .308 and .280, not the best medicine for bears but it worked. Not something I would recommend or do again if I had the choice. Hunting them might be fun but I would do my homework and choose a different cartridge.

Pete
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I have never shot a Grizzly. However I have live trapped 2, the largest was 670lbs on the Govt. scale.

wighty
01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/frederick280/mikesgrizz.jpg[/quote]
Beautiful Mount... sorry to hi-jack the thread but how much did that cost?

BCbillies
01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Been on 7 harvests in the last decade all in Region 6. Five taken with the 300 wmag and one with a 7mm and the other with a 338 wmag. Perhaps the toughest animal to put down in BC followed by the mountain goat. Aside from using a quality bullet and ensuring a good first shot they tend to go down a little easier when they don't know you're onto them . . . been the case with all bears to date. The bear I took in '08 was facing off with another grizz and it took a little more lead to make him dead!

BCRiverBoater
01-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Have yet to be drawn and never felt the need before it went LEH. I have thought I may have to shoot one a few times but luckily they decided to go the other way at the last second. I seem to have some bad luck the last few years with the hairy pigs. If I only had a tag I would be a good guy to have a long.

boxhitch
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Ive been in on a couple of kills,
The two bangflops were high shoulder/ spine hits, not much movement.
Most of the others required more lead in the air, some even hit the target. Tough to do when it is spinning and flipping.
Not sure what they use for endorphins but I want some. Pain is not a sense they share with other animals.

hunter1947
01-05-2010, 06:25 AM
I have never had any interest on shooting a Griz ,never have put in for an LEH for one ever ,so you Griz HBC members that put in for LEH each year you all have that one extra chance at getting a Griz draw :mrgreen:..

Pete
01-05-2010, 06:32 AM
[quote=hunter1947;595327]I have never had any interest on shooting a Griz
Spent years as the Contract Bear Trapper for the MOE Caught lots of Bears including Grizzly, just never had any real desire to go out and shoot one.

rocksteady
01-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Took one back in the mid 90's....

One round of Winchester "Black Talons" 30-06 (Now known as FailSafes, IIRC) through both shoulders...Then he went into an alder pit.....

Followed him up 30 minutes later with my 12 ga. with 3" magnum slugs, he was still moving, so I gave him 2 rounds......But I also got my thumb into my nose cause of the massive recoil of those 3" kickers, so also got a broken nose out of the deal....:cry::cry:

About a 6.5 foot male, but the only one I had the opportunity on during my 14 day solo hunt in the West Koots...

Since I have 1, no interest in really taking another..

Bowtime
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Took one three years back. Region 6. 23 1/2 inch skull. I used a 30-06 with a 165 nosler partition.
He dropped and rolled down a hill with one front quartering shot. By the time he hit the bottom of the hill there was no movement.

leadpillproductions
01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
been on three kills 1 i shot and my buddy shot the other two buddie's first one 304 yrds with a 338 lapua facing away straight down
mine 20 yrds threw the sholders with a 338 lapua spun and ran 10 yrds
buddie's 300 yrds shot threw the shoulders big spins and rolls very entertaining 2 more shots 1 hit 1 miss all with the lapua's

BCHunterFSJ
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I was lucky enough to take one the year before they brought in LEH for all grizzlies. Got him in the area of the Mesilinka River, using a .338 Win. Mag. with 250 grain bullet. One shot did it, but he did run off into thick bush and we had to follow. We found him in "ambush-mode", but luckily he was dead. One of the most exciting hunts of my life...
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/VicgrizzlyjpgA.jpg

elkdom
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I lived with one once. I was dam glad she went into hibernation. When she came out, I was long gone.

ha! ha! I feel your pain, lmao:?

on another note? your "mug shot" looks a bit familiar , I lived in 100 Mile during the 70's,,, maybe we met, one of my good friends was "LEO", anyone with a hunting license or fishing license ,either hated him or loved him,, how about you?, were you lurking in the hills of the Caribou them days?:wink:

elkdom
01-05-2010, 01:40 PM
I loved the man.
I was his star witness's in one of the if not the biggest court cases of the period. We won't get into that. Great guy.
cheers

no $hit!:-D we gotta chat some time! swap lies( no one would believe us anyway! :wink: ),, as for Grizzlies ive killed a bunch, slept with a few and was even stalked by a couple! :shock:, which didnt work out so good for the G-bears;-)

bearhunter338-06
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Be leave it or not I have had 4 leh's for grizz and have not yet been able to go do to some sort of set back.....:-(

01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Be leave it or not I have had 4 leh's for grizz and have not yet been able to go do to some sort of set back.....:-(

If you think there's any chance you can't go, other that an accident, illness, etc...then DON'T PUT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

358mag
01-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Took one on a date once.

Region 8.

Wouldn't recommend it.
was she from Oliver ???

gbear
01-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Been on 3 grizzly kills. 2 were mine and the other was my dad's when I was 16. All very exciting hunts. They are probably the most exciting animal to hunt. There was a comment in one of the earlier responses taht they go down much easier if they don't know you are there. I agree with that 100%. My first bear was in 2000, and I seen it mid day in an avalanche chute. After it fed, it lay down for an afternoon nap. At that point the winds had shifted and I was able to make a stalk. About 1.5 hour hike up the mountain and then once I was in shooting range, had to wait about an hour for the bear to stand up from it's bed. It had no idea I was there and when it stood up at 276 yards, one shot and it never moved.

My second bear was this past spring and the full story can be found in my thread from the time. He knew I was there and I had to shoot many times to put him down for good. The first shot was a deadly one, but he was still very much active to say the least, and I was alone and the timber in the area was very thick. I didn't want to do a tracking job alone.

My dad's bear also knew we were on to him and he took many shots before he stopped. In fact, he flat out charged us after the first shot.

GoatGuy
01-05-2010, 10:19 PM
was she from Oliver ???

A bit north of there, it's where all the crazies are from. Northeast end of Skaha lake.

Camp Cook
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I have and so has my son.

RustyRipper
01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
. There was a comment in one of the earlier responses taht they go down much easier if they don't know you are there. I agree with that 100%. My first bear was in 2000, and I seen it mid day in an avalanche chute. After it fed, it lay down for an afternoon nap. At that point the winds had shifted and I was able to make a stalk. About 1.5 hour hike up the mountain and then once I was in shooting range, had to wait about an hour for the bear to stand up from it's bed. It had no idea I was there and when it stood up at 276 yards, one shot and it never moved.

My second bear was this past spring and the full story can be found in my thread from the time. He knew I was there and I had to shoot many times to put him down for good. The first shot was a deadly one, but he was still very much active to say the least, and I was alone and the timber in the area was very thick. I didn't want to do a tracking job alone.

My dad's bear also knew we were on to him and he took many shots before he stopped. In fact, he flat out charged us after the first shot.

That's very interesting, i have heard the same thing. I think it must have to do with adrenaline.

One Shot
01-06-2010, 12:46 AM
I have taken griz with a .308 BLR, .300 wm Ruger 77, .54 cal black powder with a round ball, and 30-30 win model 94. Did not have any problems with either caliber. The griz I shot with the 30-30 took two shots as it was on the run going through the calving corral.

01-06-2010, 09:39 AM
What a tool you are.

If by "tool" you mean a multi-purpose, fix-anything type of tool, you are correct young boy.

I am sure that most hunters who have been unsuccesfully putting in for grizzly LEHs, and WOULD make the effort to get out and hunt if they were drawn,don't like it when people apply who always find an excuse not to go. Of course unforseen circumstances may prevent someone from going out who fully intended to, but 4 successfull draws in a row?? Give me a break.

tomahawk
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
I have never had any interest on shooting a Griz ,never have put in for an LEH for one ever ,so you Griz HBC members that put in for LEH each year you all have that one extra chance at getting a Griz draw :mrgreen:..

Likewise........

bearhunter338-06
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
If you think there's any chance you can't go, other that an accident, illness, etc...then DON'T PUT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya like I planed for it to happen

Kody94
01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm oh-fer-18 years of applying for spring LEHs in the Koots. Would beg, borrow, steal or even kill for one. :)

358mag
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
A bit north of there, it's where all the crazies are from. Northeast end of Skaha lake.
seen that movie too called the "Bad Bunch"