PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sleeping bags

d6dan
01-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Okay, Dirtys thread on storing bags got me thinking about how do you clean your sleeping bags?. Do you dry clean them or use a special detergent to wash them?.
The reason I ask is I have a Taiga bag and its never been cleaned. (no, It doesn't stink). Should I take it to a dry cleaners or look for a detergent and wash it at home?.

Ozone
01-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Read wash tag. Put directions to use.

It also may help to know what its filled with.

dabat
01-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I have ruined enough good bags in the past that now I get it drycleaned every year.

BCrams
01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Read the directions on the tag and follow!!

Some men aren't well known to follow directions so maybe give it to your wife / girlfriend to do it.

BlacktailStalker
01-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I dont. Air dry it long enough and as long as it smells clean, it is :lol:

d6dan
01-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Read the directions on the tag and follow!!

Some men aren't well known to follow directions so maybe give it to your wife / girlfriend to do it.

Duh!, Its a custom made bag. No labels...too follow..:wink:

d6dan
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Read wash tag. Put directions to use.

It also may help to know what its filled with.
Its filled with 4lbs of down and no instruction tag..:confused: I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post, by hey, shat happens:?

BimmerBob
01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Okay, Dirtys thread on storing bags got me thinking about how do you clean your sleeping bags?. Do you dry clean them or use a special detergent to wash them?.
The reason I ask is I have a Taiga bag and its never been cleaned. (no, It doesn't stink). Should I take it to a dry cleaners or look for a detergent and wash it at home?.

Why make work for yourself? I go by the old addage, "if it ain't broke..."

I think the absolute best thing to do though is to use a bag liner, that way your bag should be kept clean inside for damn near ever!

Go shooting, if your bag (and just in case it needs clarification that is refering to your sleeping bag!) is "not stinky" no sense wasteing time on it...

Ozone
01-04-2010, 01:26 PM
shat happens:?

OK if thats why your cleaning, ummm, yuck.

This is what I use, yes I realize its from MEC, yes I realize its expencive.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444189 3961&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698657&bmUID=1262636458687

Also read this

http://www.mec.ca/Main/content_text.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743028 81782&CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673221015

Dirty
01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I am past the age of having wet dreams. I don't worry about cleaning it.

jml11
01-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I hadn't cleaned my high quality down filled bag for several years but on my last mountain hunt I packed out a ram and somehow managed to leak blood all over the bag even though it was wrapped up in a plastic bag....air dried it that day which was ok for the rest of the trip but then took it to a drycleaners when I got back and it came back looking like a brand new bad. It was pretty cheap too IIRC less than 15 bucks.

Devilbear
01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Washing a down bag is easy, it keeps the down at full loft potential and should be done about every 100 nights of use, this with a clean body and wearing full longies/socks or a liner. I have had many down bags and washed them often, with NO problems.

DO NOT repeat DO NOT EVER dryclean a down bag and even most synthetics will suffer loft loss from this. Go to CMS, MEC, VP or other gear shops and buy the correct McNett down cleaner as shown by the label and use it according to instructions. DO NOT use "detergent" or even my old standby for years, "Woolite" as it now contains "detergents".

1. Scrub bathtub until CLEAN.

2.Fill with water, just hot enough so you can put your hands into it, about 2/3 full/

3. Add your McNett or other such product and thoroughly mix.

4. Turn bag inside out for those with Gore-Tex shells and completely unzip the zipper.

5. Place bag in water and GENTLY knead it with your hands until it is totally soaked with solution.

6. Leave it to soak for several hours, then repeat thorough kneading.

7.Pull plug allow ALL water to drain from tub, THEN, GENTLY squeeze as much water from bag as you can by hand, DO NOT LIFT wet bag.

8. Refill tub with clear water, knead bag to rinse and drain, REPEAT this several times until you can DRINK the fresh water you just completely rinsed your bag in. This takes time, is a royal pita, BUT, it MUST be done. DO NOT LIFT bag during this process.

9. Push wet bag, squeezed as dry as possible into end of tub, place large basket or tub beside it and put small handfuls of wet bag into it at a time. Lifting the wet bag can tear inner baffles, wrecking your bag due to the weight of the saturated down.

10. Place wet bag, in small handfuls into clothes dryer, ON LOW REPEAT LOW heat and put a couple CLEAN tennis balls with it, NOT "running shoes"!

11. Let it cycle MANY times until DRY and THEN gently and thoroughly fluff it buy hand, wash your cotton storage sacks at the same time.

12. If, you can, air dry and freshen it AFTER the dryer, BUT, OUT of direct sunlight and this is how it is done.

If, interested, print this out and keep it, I have done this about 20 times and my bags after long, hard use on multiweek camps with no breaks, always came out like new. I use both down and Plrimaloft bags and store and clean them exactly the same. HTH.

GoatGuy
01-04-2010, 01:47 PM

I had to have mine dry cleaned a couple years ago cause it stunk. It was over $100.

huntinnewbie
01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Haven't done down bags but I have washed my down jackets and vests many times. I always use the gentle cycle and regular laundry detergent. I also dry them in the dryer with tennis balls as you need something to bounce around in there and stop the down from clumping up,
never had a problem.

d6dan
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Ya me too:wink:, thanks for that Dirty!. All bs aside, It smells heavy of wood smoke. Buddies wood stove in his wall tent sucked. everytime you open it, Poof! out comes a pillow of smoke. Anyways after a week of that ,it smells. I've heard that drycleaning ruins the down so was just wanting to see what you guys use to clean your sleeping bag with.:-|

srupp
01-04-2010, 02:54 PM
hmmm wash mine after every trip..we have a BIG machine that is front loader(used to use the laundry mat)..my sleeping bags say to wash in warm water DO NOT DRY CLEAN..so I read and follow the directions...

You cant ruin a sleeping bag by taking proper care of it one of my sleeping bags is 25 years old STILL in A-1 shape...

cheers
Sr

Fisher-Dude
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM

Ya, but you still shit your pants after eating hot wings with Mikey. You better pay attention to this thread.

BCRiverBoater
01-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Why even try to clean an old dirty bag? Trade it in for a new clean young one!