PDA

View Full Version : A little assistance with Hunting Elk

01-04-2010, 06:46 AM
As I have just moved this year to the Kootenays and am quite unfamiliar with the area for Elk, I was wondering if there was anyone in the Cranbrook Area or there abouts that would be willing to give some advice on where to go to hunt Elk.

I don't need your honey hole or anything like that, just a general familiarization with places that I may be able to find a herd or something. I can do the rest from there.

Thanks.

bridger
01-04-2010, 08:48 AM
shouldn't be to hard to find an elk spot in the ek. get some maps and drive around with your bino's and get familiar with the area. Meet people and get to know the area you'll find elk.

Ddog
01-04-2010, 09:00 AM
welcome to the heart of the ROCKIES, There is a few of us here in Cranbrook as well as surrounding areas, There are tons of spots to go out and find elk. Just keep in mind that right now they are in their wintering zones, so chances are that come hunting season they wont be there. Just get out in the summertime to do some scouting, if i am still around we may be able to hook up and do some hiking together.

hunter1947
01-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Get a back roads map of the kootenays then you can pic almost any back road to hunt elk and the areas will hold elk.

One place is on the ridges above moey lake north side ,the bull river area ,the flat head east of cranbrook the cotton wood pick any of these areas and you will find good elk hunting ,good luck this up coming year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
HOLY A question like that and he got awnsers and no sarcastic " in the forrest " responses
What is hbc coming to?
good luck next season .303 i'd help ya if i could

MuleyStalker
01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
HOLY A question like that and he got awnsers and no sarcastic " in the forrest " responses
What is hbc coming to?
good luck next season .303 i'd help ya if i could

I couldn't believe it either! Maybe I should move to the ek.:mrgreen:

bozzdrywall
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I would help but all the good spots are on here already. If you need a hunting partner come sept let me know most of my old buddys have left me high and dry so always looking for a good friend with a strong back LOL. Iam still not too sure were the elk like to hang out but i have a good idea. LOL PM me and we might be able to get together and figure somthing out from all the posts on here.

GoatGuy
01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
st.mary's has some good elk country as well. Surprisingly, it hasn't been mentioned yet. :wink:

Chuck
01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
I've read a helluva lot of sportsman's magazines over the years and down in the good ole US of A everybody new to an area asks the local CO that question.
I wonder why that wouldn't work up here? I've never heard of anyone doing it. Maybe our COs don't know where to go anyway or what.

01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for some input guys. I have been looking at maps and such but it is nice to get a nice little starting point too...

01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Get a back roads map of the kootenays then you can pic almost any back road to hunt elk and the areas will hold elk.

One place is on the ridges above moey lake north side ,the bull river area ,the flat head east of cranbrook the cotton wood pick any of these areas and you will find good elk hunting ,good luck this up coming year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

I guess I am asking that too....being new to the area I am aware that there are a lot of Elk there, but is there that many that you pick a road and chances are you'll find sign of Elk?

I do realize that there is the pre season scouting involved, mapping etc.

Fisher-Dude
01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
I've read a helluva lot of sportsman's magazines over the years and down in the good ole US of A everybody new to an area asks the local CO that question.
I wonder why that wouldn't work up here? I've never heard of anyone doing it. Maybe our COs don't know where to go anyway or what.

When I had a WK elk draw, the COs in Nelson were really helpful. One even called me after the season to see how things went.

COs = good guys.

01-04-2010, 08:36 PM
When I had a WK elk draw, the COs in Nelson were really helpful. One even called me after the season to see how things went.

COs = good guys.

Yeah, I called him RE: my cow draw this year, both he and the Castlegar CO helped as well. I guess I will be calling the Cranbrook CO too.

bearass
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
If you live in region 4-7 I would suggest you do some scouting closer to your home there are elk were you live, no need to drive to cranbrook.

01-04-2010, 09:04 PM
If you live in region 4-7 I would suggest you do some scouting closer to your home there are elk were you live, no need to drive to cranbrook.

Most of it is by draw around where I live. Trust me I heard a huge bugle and eventually saw the bull, but could not shoot. I was pretty cool becasue it was my first real elk hunt but a little disappointing too because I only had a cow draw.

hunter1947
01-05-2010, 06:21 AM
I guess I am asking that too....being new to the area I am aware that there are a lot of Elk there, but is there that many that you pick a road and chances are you'll find sign of Elk?

I do realize that there is the pre season scouting involved, mapping etc.

Elk are where you find them they can be anywhere from hi elevations to the low elevations .

Pick a few areas on a roads map that is open for elk and head out and scout it out :wink:..

Yes pre season mapping and scouting is a must if you live in elk country.

When I started elk hunting 43 years ago I was put on a good elk area then took it from there...

Brambles
01-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Elk are where you find them they can be anywhere from hi elevations to the low elevations .

Pick a few areas on a roads map that is open for elk and head out and scout it out :wink:..

Yeah but it took you 7 weeks to find one:mrgreen:

hunter1947
01-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah but it took you 7 weeks to find one:mrgreen:

Brambles LOL I found many bulls before the end of my 7th week but nothing with 6 points on ether side :mrgreen:.