PDA

View Full Version : Montana Antelope?

Gunner
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Anyone hunted down there?I'm thinking about putting in for the NonResident draw for this fall.6616 was kind enough to pass me some info but I'd like to here from others who have been down there.Anything you can tell me about this hunt(areas,contacts,etc.) will be much appreciated! Thanks,Gunner

leadpillproductions
01-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I havent hunted yet but man do i want too when is the season your going

yukon john
01-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Real good guy in Wyoming, he will walk you through everything. Basically a guaranteed hunt check him out his name is Jeff Schweighart trophyconnector28@hotmail.com. Top notch fellow 3 day hunts very affordable and good antelope.

Gunner
01-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks John,are you putting in for spring griz in the same area I met you in a couple of years ago?How's the wolf situation in there now?Cheers,Gunner

bighornbob
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Anyone hunted down there?I'm thinking about putting in for the NonResident draw for this fall.6616 was kind enough to pass me some info but I'd like to here from others who have been down there.Anything you can tell me about this hunt(areas,contacts,etc.) will be much appreciated! Thanks,Gunner

I went down in 2002 and had a blast. I put in for region 7 and drew my first year (odds of about 1 in 4). region 7 is basically all of eastern Montana and has a ton of antelope. When I went they gave out 13000 either sex tags for the region. On top of that that gave out another 5000 doe and fawn tags (first come first serve) to the successful 13000. I did not bother sending in the postcard for the doe tags becuase for a non-resident it would cost about $50-70 for each tag ( cant remember exact price). I figured it was too costly for 25 pounds of meat (a buck weighs about 110 pounds). For residents it was only $5 for a tag so they all had three lope tags.

Most of Montana is private land so you are going to have to get some sort of permission. Montana has a great program called the Block Management Program (BMP). It is set up by the goverment and they pay land owners to provide access. Each season they put out a book (thick like our regs) that lists farmers (and contact information), size of their land, and species they have on their land. You just find some farmers in the area you want to hunt and make some calls. Just a word of caution, just becuase the farmer says he has an animal does not mean they may actually be there in the fall or have any huntable numbers. Also they set the rules of their property. For example the rancher that let us on:

-did not want us shooting any does although the guy that took me had doe tags

-did not want any trucks off the main roads

-we were limited to a section of land (1 mile X 1mile). We could not hunt any other area as those areas already had guys.

-We were limited to 3 days. After 3 days you could see if another section had opened up. (Some guys tag out by 9am of the first day).

It sounds like too many rules but it was not so bad becuase the lope are always moving and you know no one will wreck your stalk.

I talked to some guys who were at another BMP ranch and they were choked becuase the rancher let on who ever asked. They said it was way too crowded as everyone was chasing just a couple of herds of antelope. I guess in the previous years the rancher limited access. So keep that in mind if you go this route.

The people down there are super friendly so knowking on some doors can alos get you access. I went for about a 1/2 hour drive from the ranch we hunted on and knocked on a few doors. Some ranches already had guys hunting it, some wanted $300 for 3 days (going rate), others were leased to outfitters while one rancher told me he managed his property for trophy animals and I would not be able to afford it. I never did get permission but no one was rude and I only spent 1/2 trying. In that time I probably counted 300 lope.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions as i would be glad to help.

BHB

Gunner
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I went down in 2002 and had a blast. I put in for region 7 and drew my first year (odds of about 1 in 4). region 7 is basically all of eastern Montana and has a ton of antelope. When I went they gave out 13000 either sex tags for the region. On top of that that gave out another 5000 doe and fawn tags (first come first serve) to the successful 13000. I did not bother sending in the postcard for the doe tags becuase for a non-resident it would cost about $50-70 for each tag ( cant remember exact price). I figured it was too costly for 25 pounds of meat (a buck weighs about 110 pounds). For residents it was only $5 for a tag so they all had three lope tags.

Most of Montana is private land so you are going to have to get some sort of permission. Montana has a great program called the Block Management Program (BMP). It is set up by the goverment and they pay land owners to provide access. Each season they put out a book (thick like our regs) that lists farmers (and contact information), size of their land, and species they have on their land. You just find some farmers in the area you want to hunt and make some calls. Just a word of caution, just becuase the farmer says he has an animal does not mean they may actually be there in the fall or have any huntable numbers. Also they set the rules of their property. For example the rancher that let us on:

-did not want us shooting any does although the guy that took me had doe tags

-did not want any trucks off the main roads

-we were limited to a section of land (1 mile X 1mile). We could not hunt any other area as those areas already had guys.

-We were limited to 3 days. After 3 days you could see if another section had opened up. (Some guys tag out by 9am of the first day).

It sounds like too many rules but it was not so bad becuase the lope are always moving and you know no one will wreck your stalk.

I talked to some guys who were at another BMP ranch and they were choked becuase the rancher let on who ever asked. They said it was way too crowded as everyone was chasing just a couple of herds of antelope. I guess in the previous years the rancher limited access. So keep that in mind if you go this route.

The people down there are super friendly so knowking on some doors can alos get you access. I went for about a 1/2 hour drive from the ranch we hunted on and knocked on a few doors. Some ranches already had guys hunting it, some wanted $300 for 3 days (going rate), others were leased to outfitters while one rancher told me he managed his property for trophy animals and I would not be able to afford it. I never did get permission but no one was rude and I only spent 1/2 trying. In that time I probably counted 300 lope.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions as i would be glad to help.

BHBThanks Bob,I'll PM you once I get some ducks in a row! Cheers,Gunner

whitetailsheds
01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey Gunner,
these are recent responses i've got back from Montana F/W in regards to antelope hunts:

Hello Grant;
The on line licensing system is not offering Antelope tags/licenses/permits at this time. You will need to check back after March 15 to make that purchase on line.
Thank you.

Hello Grant;
The On line licensing application website is located at
https://app.mt.gov/Als/Index (https://app.mt.gov/Als/Index). In order to apply, you will first need an ALS
number. The system will request this field to be filled. Just skip through
it - the next page will ask again. You will need to select the bottom
reason on the next page, "I am certain I do not have an ALS number.", and
click on this statement. On the tag selection page, please select your tag.
As you check-out, the system will then assign you an ALS number. This is a
life-time number for your use.

As you proceed in the application to purchase a license, please make sure
you get a confirmation page at the end as that will contain the temporary
Conservation. This is good for 10-days from the day of printing. MT FWP
does have 10-business days to mail you the official licenses and kill tags.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact the Montana Fish,
Wildlife, & Parks offices directly in ( Helena ) 406-444-2950. You may also
obtain the hunting/fishing regulations at the following website
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations.html (http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations.html).

whitetailsheds
01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the PM's Gunner!

leadpillproductions
01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
if any one whats to set up a hunt i would be into goin to get an antelope pm me