PDA

View Full Version : Elk Sheds

444marlin
01-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Have started to make my own hunting knives so need some handle material. Would like to find some elk sheds in the Cowichan area.
Question: When do they start to drop their antlers.
Thanks

bozzdrywall
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
I think they start around april i my self will be out in full force looking for them aswell. I am going to be making lamps, chandalers, tables and chairs.

deerstocker
01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
they r starting now was just there a week ago and seen 2 with one horn so start looking lol

Ron.C
01-03-2010, 12:39 PM
In my experience, I have seen the Bulls still sporting their head gear into the end of April/first of May here in Cowichan. But I have found year old sheds in very good condition as well, so now is a good time to find those in areas where the snow has flattened the ferns underbrish down. I've got a couple areas I usually like to look not far out of Duncan and a couple by lake Cowichan. If your interested, drop me a PM as I have a several sheds in my garage and maybe I can help you out and get you started with one, and we can talk about where to start looking

Ron

BlacktailStalker
01-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Rosies seem to drop later than the RM elk, late april but often mid may. When growing up to 4" per DAY they dont need that much time to grow the tine :cool:

hunter1947
01-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Start now if your not in any snow ,you can find them from the past years there out there waiting for you to find .