PDA

View Full Version : Shylo needs a home...

Kasomor
01-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Here's the story,
go to http://pets.webshots.com/album/576150133aBhNrL for pictures.

The owners of Shylo, a three year old neutered male, contacted NSDTRCC Rescue a number of weeks ago. They were told he was a purebred NSDTR when they bought/ rescued him from not nice living conditions a month ago. They were told about non-breeding papers on him but the original owners are not returning repeated calls so the papers have never been produced.

Shylo was 6 months old when his first owner died and the second owners "inherited" him keeping him outside in an enclosure for the last 2 1/2 years.

Jane and Don M. of Langley have him now. They are a very nice couple in there 70's who have found over the last month that they do not have the energy to care for an active dog. Thus the call to NSDTRCC Rescue and thus why I went to evaluate Shylo this afternoon.

I could not find an ear or belly tattoo. He has not been scanned but that will be done on Monday. IMO he is not a toller. He weighs 70 lbs and is lean. He is about 24" tall. Everything about him says field golden with white in toller areas. From his size, bone, substance, movement, head, temperament..... it all says field golden.

So NSDTRCC Rescue is out of the picture BUT he still needs a home.... :-D

I spent an hour at their house and then we took Shylo to the pet store to buy a pinch collar so I spent some time with him. This dog would be great for an active family or person who has the time to go back to the beginning in teaching a three year old dog all he needs to know.

-He is super friendly with people and dogs.
-He is crate trained. Sleeps in the house in his crate and rode in my car fine in my tiny toller crate.
-He loves car rides.
-He is house trained to the point that he will not mess but needs to be supervised with his activities. While I was there he was always on the move but he does know patience as when were at the pet store I had him sitting calmly and being petted by numerous people. He wanted to bounce but he wasn't.
-Has food respect, hand respect, counter respect.
-He likes his ears rubbed and his head stroked...oh, and belly rubs too...
-Knows sit and wants to be taught more. I was teaching him down and you could see his little brain going.... "What do you want me to do? I'm trying...oh that!!!"
-He is food motivated.
-Will walk calmly on a leash. Learned right away what the pinch collar did and respected that. He pulls horribly on a flat collar. Jane doesn't figure he has ever been walked before they got him.
-Does not jump on you.
- He is good with children... at least the 4 year old kind. :-))
-His recall has not been tested.

Shylo appears healthy. No idea if his vaccines are up to date or not.
He is active. He does take everything in stride... from meeting strange people at the pet store, to riding in cars to having a stranger training him.
I think he would make an active person a great pet.

Please if you have know anyone looking for an friendly active dog who wants to learn, forward this post on to them.

Send me a PM for contact info.

Cheers,

Kasomor

Brew
01-02-2010, 06:47 PM
He is a nice looking dog. I wish I had a yard or I would take him. My three goldens have a past away of old age in the last 3 years and I sure miss them.

Devilbear
01-02-2010, 06:59 PM
There is NO human I admire and respect more than those who give of their time, energy and love to find homes for homeless dogs and cats. There is a very special place in Heaven for such great people.

Good luck, he looks like a fine boy and would probably make a wonderful member of a nice family.

Shooter Jr.
01-02-2010, 07:29 PM
If it weren't for my parents and being that we have a dog already i wouldn't think twice about buying that dog.

Buck Skin
01-02-2010, 08:10 PM
same here shooter jr

Kasomor
01-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Thank you for your kind words Devil.

Shylo was put on a plane and flown today to a wonderful family home in Cranbrook. This is excellent news because he was wearing out the folks that he was with!

Big thanks to everyone who responded! It only took 9 days to find him an appropriate home so that is indeed great and it is start to a happy new beginning for Shylo!

Cheers,
Kasomor

HailCall
01-12-2010, 02:22 AM
Good job finding the dog a home.

riflebuilder
01-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Good to hear that he is going to a good home

Jokerwld
01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Great work Kasomor
we were trying to wrap our head around this to see if we could make it work with a third dog
we have two Chesapeakes ( marshal's Brother and sister)