PDA

View Full Version : Storing Sleeping Bags

Dirty
01-02-2010, 04:54 PM
How should my primaloft sleeping bag be stored in the off season?

In addition, How should down sleeping bags be stored in the off season (just asking for the downies on the site :mrgreen:)?

Gateholio
01-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I store them in the loose bags they sell at MEC for the purpose of storing down sleeping bags,

Dirty
01-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I store them in the loose bags they sell at MEC for the purpose of storing down sleeping bags,

I always suspected the bags at MEC were loose.:mrgreen:

Riverratz
01-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Our Taiga down bags are removed from the compression sacs and hung full length.
I read somewhere that storing any bag in its compression sac, regardless of fill, can result in permanent compression of the fill, thus loss of loft and warmth.

Wild one
01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I store my sleeping bag in a loose mesh bag

troutseeker
01-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Primaloft and equivalent in big garbage bags, loose and bag opened.
Down, hanging in the basement.

muledeercrazy
01-02-2010, 07:49 PM
i think the main thing is not compressed. I should have known better, but i still have to thank you for the thread because my bag was still in its compression sack and could easily have stayed that way for untill next season!

MikeH
01-02-2010, 08:15 PM
A bag of some sorts doesn't have to be that loose just every so often pull the bags out and fluff the bag to get the down spread out.That's all I do for my Arctic sleeping bags inner and outer.

MidnightRun
01-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Ultra lamina, Primaloft & Down bags "rolled" out full length and stored under beds on top of inflated thermarest & ridgerest.

Goliath
01-03-2010, 12:06 AM
i think the main thing is not compressed. I should have known better, but i still have to thank you for the thread because my bag was still in its compression sack and could easily have stayed that way for untill next season!

X2!

I'm fortunate enough to have a closet dedicated to my gear. Down bag goes over the clothes hanger-rod.

One Shot
01-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Store your bag as loose as you can in a dry area, tis keeps the down or filler uncompacted as much as possible resulting in a warmer bag. I prefer a sealed bag over available mesh bags as it keeps the dust and air borne dirt out of the material, in short keeps the bag cleaner. I keep mine in a very large light weight dry bag 40 x 24". I also unroll my therma rest when not in use.

srupp
01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I store them in a large wooden blanket chest..lined with aromatic cedar..

no bugs ..nodust no dirt and loosly placed..

Steven

Chuck
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Here's a hint some of you may find worthwhile.

Watch the flyers and esp "Zellers" or "Fields" stores. Sometimes they'll have bed sheets on - dirt cheap. Get some and have the old lady run them through the sewing machine to make excellent, large bags for keeping stuff clean, like sleeping bags etc. Nylon store bags can be costlier and don't breathe like poly/cotton.

Ya to the down bags - cleaned, fluffed up hanging somewhere dry and in a home made bag.

MuleyStalker
01-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Ultra lamina, Primaloft & Down bags "rolled" out full length and stored under beds on top of inflated thermarest & ridgerest.

Agreed. Sleeping gear is only rolled up when it needs to be packed.

BCrams
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Try to get one of those sleeping bag hangers the stores that sell them. (i.e., coast mountain) and hang them up.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Try to get one of those sleeping bag hangers the stores that sell them. (i.e., coast mountain) and hang them up.

I've seen this guy's sleeping bag. Don't listen to him:mrgreen:.

SSS

GoatGuy
01-04-2010, 02:27 PM
How should my primaloft sleeping bag be stored in the off season?

In addition, How should down sleeping bags be stored in the off season (just asking for the downies on the site :mrgreen:)?

Lay it out on the couch, where you'll get maximum use out of it.

Dirty
01-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Lay it out on the couch, where you'll get maximum use out of it.

Seeing how I am married now, and the anniversary is July 31st, I am never going to use it again. Screw it, I am going to sell it instead of storing it. Hell I should sell it all and use the money for bed sore ointment.

GoatGuy
01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Seeing how I am married now, and the anniversary is July 31st, I am never going to use it again. Screw it, I am going to sell it instead of storing it. Hell I should sell it all and use the money for bed sore ointment.

Don't sell it, you'll need it for the couch when you get yourself in trouble from your wife.

At least you can still go fishing around the LM with the swede.:wink:

RMK
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
In the past I have found that not storing it at all is the best, just keep on hunting and dry it out as necessary. Theres no need to put anything that saves your bass to rest.

BCRiverBoater
01-08-2010, 05:06 AM
I store my ol' bag at home. Why would she ever need out? Ooops....

A keep my sleeping bag out and hanging for the most part or in an oversized loose bag. Never keep them compressed. I see another person on here is also a fan of Taiga. Great gear by Canadian company at a bit of a lower price. Top of the line quality.