PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear camo????

smoke-eater
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Does wearing camo make you a more successful hunter or is it just a gimmick???

Bowtime
01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I think being as quiet as possible is much more important, but I also wear camo. I'm sure it helps.

frenchbar
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Does wearing camo make you a more successful hunter or is it just a gimmick??? Wearing camo DOES NOT make u a better hunter!!!

hunterofthedeer
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
have gone big game hunting twice and have never worn camo. One deer and one calf moose down

dabat
01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I do wear camo, mostly because I am given lots for b days and xmas. Usually it is cheaper stuff that I probably would not buy. If I did buy my own, I would buy better camo and probably not wear it as much. Now I wear it to keep warm and dry, not very quiet stuff though.

Slee
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Personally I think its not worth the money. Hunters were very successful wearing red plaid wool jackets long before camo was invented...

frenchbar
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Smart ..successful hunters could hunt in a pair of gonch and still get er done lol...

Gateholio
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I never used to wear camo, but it's been making good inroads into my hunting wardrobe as of late.

Depending on the type of hunting you do, it can help somewhat.

Best part about camo is that it helps you hide from other hunters.:wink:

Piperdown
01-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I wear it all the time in the truck, they never see me coming :biggrin:

BearStump
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
camo is only one "tool" that may help to succesfully get your game.There's alot more to it than just blending in. certainly not neccesary most of the time. I wear it always because it happens to be the best "outdoor gear" that I have.
If you're shoting deer and moose from the truck, who cares what you're wearing, that flourecsent yellow one piece that you wore skiing in 1989 will do just fine.

DV-67
01-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I think camo makes hunters look like a bunch of wanna-be soldiers out in the bush killing things for the fun of it.

Look at what most of the old-timers wear. Most have successfully harvest tons of game with out ever wearing camo

Shooter
01-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I wear camo yes. But I think of the three major senses of an animal (sight, smell, hearing) It is the least important to try and fool. Most all large prey animals depend on smell and hearing more to stay safe. So playing the wind and being quiet are more important than breaking your outline up. Most animals pick up on movement amazingly well, camo or no camo they will see you move if you are careless.

I wear camo and hunting clothing whil I am hunting because.... well... I am hunting and I dress for it. If I get an animal I don't want to worry about wrecking my good clothes. Also regular street clothes are not usually sufficient to stay comfortable when out in the elements. So if you are going to buy specific outdoor clothes to stay warm comfortable and dry while in the woods, and also not need to worry about getting some dirt and blood on... Why not get them in Camo? It can't hurt.

Ozone
01-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Well it beats getting the tux all bloody:wink:

One Shot
01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I do not know any different. After wearing camies almost everyday for so many years it feels weird not to wear it while out and about. I do use it for everyday bush wear as it is tough wearing, dries fast and saves my regular clothes. Besides I have lots of it.

While it does not make you invisible it does help to conceal you as it breaks up your out line. It does not help you when you move out and stand on the skyline scouting for game. Moving while wearing a contrasting color or shade pattern against a different color or shaded background makes you look like a moving stump or rock which is very visible by game at long distances.

alecvg
01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I wear camo because it breaks up your outline. It does not make you a better hunter, but it helps. Though when I am hunting high country or going after goats, I am usually hunting with rifle, and camo doesn't make a huge differance.

MikeH
01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I find camo is only good for me while bowhunting.Rifle hunting not so much covering my scent and wind direction are more important.Camo is good for hiding from you.:)

Theo722
01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Don't wanna go duck or goose hunting without it.
Camo also doesn't make you a better soldier, but they prefer it, oddly.
Although I don't wear cotton T's and stuff in cammo since it makes no difference, the good gear keeps you warm, windproof, dry, some it helps with scent, pockets you need where you need them and so on. I could work in pijamas, but, it's nice to be comfortable which makes me a better worker, so maybe being comfortable helps make me a better hunter, no?

wrenchhead
01-02-2010, 02:14 PM
theres no doubt about it camo makes you better hunter then the next guy especailly when you jump out your truck! the deer just see the truck and not the gun pointed at them!

but on a serious note dont think its nessesary but the clothes that come in camo are usually ment for hunting so they are practical choice. a nice quite pair of red fleece pants and a good old stanfeild would be just as good though.

Caveman
01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I wear camo all the time, more for the quality of the clothing as in comfort and warmth. As far as making me a better hunter, I would have to disagree. I do like the fact that I blend in more to the surroundings, undetected from my fellow hunters more than the game at times. I use the skills I have come to learn from the many years I have spent in the field and picked up from other hunters to make me successful. I don't think I would give up my camo if I could have the same benefits, I earlier mentioned, in a solid color though.

Will
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I selected "no" not because I don't wear camo, I certainly do when it suits me.
Do I think it's necessary ? Absolutely not. Shot my 1st Buck in blue jeans many moons ago and my biggest do date buck I was also sporting jeans......go figure :-|

Honestly as of late camo is the last thing I worry about when preparing for a hunt. A hunter's knowledge trumps his equipment everytime IMO ! :wink:

browningboy
01-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Yes so the animals don't see me on my quad.

martyonthewater
01-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm wearing it right now, no one here even knows I'm on the computer

Dually Guy
01-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Im always worried im going to get shot if i camo out too much, most animals see in black and white anyway, i would rather be warm and dry, dont care what it looks like.

gamehunter6o
01-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I only wear camo pyjamas. Missus can't see me coming.:lol:

bforce750
01-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Wearing camo DOES NOT make u a better hunter!!!
Only WHEN YOU ARE road hunting!!!:-D

bforce750
01-02-2010, 04:26 PM
camo is only one "tool" that may help to succesfully get your game.There's alot more to it than just blending in. certainly not neccesary most of the time. I wear it always because it happens to be the best "outdoor gear" that I have.
If you're shoting deer and moose from the truck, who cares what you're wearing, that flourecsent yellow one piece that you wore skiing in 1989 will do just fine.

I've seen you wear camo road hunting Bill:wink: and stop shooting deer and moose from your truck,thats illegal:mrgreen::twisted:

brenden
01-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Big game....Nope....there is no need. Calling coyotes......yup.......it's the only way.

Hydrojet
01-02-2010, 05:27 PM
there should be a middle of the road option...don't have to wear it but there is some good stuff that can only come in camo and for that I wear it....though with fowl I will always wear it.

yzchamp
01-02-2010, 05:41 PM
every day of the year at least a hat..:)

green machine
01-02-2010, 05:56 PM
i only wear it when i am road hunting that way the deer don't know what you are when you get out of your truck haha

mud-dog27
01-02-2010, 06:00 PM
i wear some camo almost all the time (hats) but i wear camo when hunting just cause i like how it looks but i find it also does a good job of hiding dirt and stains and crap

Will
01-02-2010, 06:26 PM
**Sorry Picture removed because it showed off too much niblets for Newhunterette** :wink:

Heavy Metal
01-02-2010, 06:45 PM
that is easily the gayist picture that has ever been posted on this website.:?

Lone Ranger
01-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Dammit, that really wasn't necessary!

The only reason I wear camo is because I don't mind getting it muddy/wet and my best cold weather gear just happens to be in camo. If I'm road hunting or just short-hike hunting I won't bother, just my usual clothing. I also believe being quiet and not moving quickly will have the same effect. LR

ROEBUCK
01-02-2010, 06:57 PM

yeah you would have to be a homo to find and post that photo!!

100% a homo!!

eastkoot
01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Yep, I agree with Will, other than Camo condoms so the girls can't see ya coming!!!!

Hombre
01-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Its hard to find camo that really breaks up your outline.Most from a distance look like a solid mass.

Hank Hunter
01-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Everyone knows you need the latest camo and a great big magnum loaded to dangerously high pressures to kill anything

.257mag
01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
i usally wear wool or fleece,my family seems to buy me alot of camo i only wear it if there are lots of hunters

Shooter Jr.
01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
I always wear camo. Few reasons 1. looks cool 2. waterproof 3. It just doesn't feel like hunting without.
Now I`m not positively sure if it helps but I have a full set of ASAT camo and its supposedly the best to break up your outline.

quadrakid
01-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Most important piece of camo,face mask,least used piece of camo, face mask.Does camo help.yesDo you need it,no.

dhog
01-02-2010, 08:00 PM
I wear camo only for the warmth but any wool or polar fleece will do, In some places you might want to be seen and not heard!

Sitkaspruce
01-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I wear a Westcoast Tuxedo for a top, or sometimes a fleece when the tux is getting cleaned.

I wear camo pants because they provide best weather protection, quietness and are the most usefull of the pants out there. If I could find the same in non-camo, I would buy it.

I do have a camo rain jacket and a warm camo jacket if it really gets nasty, and again, it is only because the material really works.

The problem with most camo, and hunting stuff in general, is it is a lot like fishing gear......designed to catch hunters and not help hunters.

and oh yea, it really looks cool while I am in my heated wood box blind w/ my sat TV watching the game while waiting for that pre-scouted buck to come out to my planted and baited food plot.

Cheers

SS

Buck Skin
01-02-2010, 08:06 PM
camo is the bestest

Will
01-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Stop you'll make BigHunterFish mad.........

Jelvis
01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
first I wanna know exactly where Willy got that super mass mule deer in his avatar, exact spot.
..camo sometimes when real serious and face camo too, it does help no doubt.
..but lately I wore blue jeans and never would have a few years back, Slack.
..blue jeans used to be a no no.
..when real serious for a bruiser buck it's camo - for meat who cares ?
Jel -- I need good hunting boots anyways so saving for that.

Will
01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
first I wanna know exactly where Willy got that super mass mule deer in his avatar, exact spot.
About 34 minutes from your house Jelly.......Due North:wink:

Homo ?

Lighten up fellas.......who doesn't shop at Hunkwear ? :rolleyes:

newhunterette
01-02-2010, 11:07 PM
absolutely, because I look so adorable and cute in pants that come down past my feet about 3 ft, and shirts with no shape to them, jackets that make me into the camoflauged michelin man and hats that dont fit well with a ponytail and when they say gloves are a men's small yeah right - men are lying again

but dang it all when I jump out of the truck and mozy on my merry way to find me a spot to sit and hide from the critters, I look GOOD

by the way WILL do not ever post anything like that again - I lost my dinner - that does not camoflauge enough of his giblits:?

hunter1947
01-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Never started wearing camo till about 4 years ago up till then I wore jack shirts and jeans I myself don't think camo has changed my success rate..

bridger
01-03-2010, 09:18 AM
i like snow camo for hunting whitetails from a ground blind when sheep hunting in the old days we always wore whatever was handy. seemed to work.

Kudu
01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Most Cammo is crap - If it was so great - why do they change it every year?

For Bow-hunting - it is easy - keep hunting with out it, and leave the smart ones for the guys in ASAT.

peashooter
01-03-2010, 02:14 PM
i hunt in a loin cloth. is that wrong?

ChilliwackWinchester
01-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't normally wear a lot of camo. I sometimes have an article or two, such as a booney hat or gloves, etc... only because the hat or gloves that I wanted happened to be in that print. I have been thinking of getting some camo gear, but the price always changes my mind. I stick with drab colours such as olive green or browns and that seems to do the trick.

gamehunter6o
01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
i hunt in a loin cloth. is that wrong?

Not if it's in camo or hi vis.:shock:

HighOctane
01-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I really like halloween, so camo gives me an excuse to dress up like it was 10/31 every day in hunting season;)

Honestly, I think it helps when you are extremely stationary. More than one occasion where I was motionless and had whitetails and muleys walk within spitting distance of me, and even had a doe sniff and lick the barrell of my brothers gun! I like to believe that it was the camo and the downwind breeze that allowed that. As for owning it and using it, yeah, I have quite a bit. I tend to buy it as gear more than for the camo pattern itself though. I look for quiet, and element resistant products that are durable and comfortable. I've worn non camo wool and denim pants before, and well cotton just sucks when it's wet. I believe the biggest thing to hide from game is the sense of smell, so no matter what we wear, just remember the term "dead downwind", use your aquired skills and don't expect any tool you buy to be a magical pill that will put a trophy on your wall and meat in your freezer.

steel_ram
01-03-2010, 04:30 PM
I wear it when I go to Walmart, especially with sweat pants so I'll blend in.

BillyBull
01-03-2010, 06:34 PM
To bad there was only the 2 options... would have preferred to say 3 - Sometimes..... as far as does it work or not --it's your ability to hunt sit and shoot that get you the best results. I have found that some of the camo is okay, given that I come from the wool pants era and actually prefer them (but you just can't find a good pair for $25 anymore.) I see that there is now a wool camo (think Grouse River had them) they seem to be good but pricey for wool.

OutWest
01-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I always wear camo and have had lots of success in situations where animals know something is up but can't make you out. I think breaking up your outline is the most important thing as far as clothing is concerned.

papaken
01-04-2010, 12:23 AM
I wear camo so when the cops stop me with my guns they don't think I'm a gangsta.

horshur
01-04-2010, 12:40 AM
too bad you did not set it to show who wears it or not....

hunter1947
01-04-2010, 06:33 AM
This is the camo I had on when I shot this bull in 2008 in 2009 was the first ever year in all years hunted that I had on all camo head to toe.

Here is the 2008 pic.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/661.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17337)

This is the camo I had on last year 2009 when I was bow hunting..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/662.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17344)

This is the camo I had on when I shot my elk in 2009.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1181.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17346)

This is the type of clothing I used while hunting all years ,its only been a couple years I started putting camo on.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/elk82_1_.jpg

oscar makonka
01-04-2010, 07:45 AM
It's pretty hard to find any kind of hunting clothes that are not camo these days.

BCRiverBoater
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
The camo I own is because I liked the product or gear and it came in camo. I live by the motto that wind is first and foremost. Find your animal, plan a stalk and try doing it successfully. If not stalking then plan your area, make sure you are setting up properly and keep the wind right. Remember...animals pick up movement more than colors etc.

Camo is a very good marketing gimmick and most good quality hunting gear only comes in camo.

I always refer to the stories of the old mountain men and the guides of today and yesteryear's. Very few wear camo now and none of them did years back. Guess what? They led more hunters dressed in full camo to their animals while wearing wranglers, moccasins, plaid shirts, vest or jean jackets while topping it off with green pioneer rain gear or even some yellow rain gear they got off the rigs. Some how they seem to have been more successful than any hunter shopping at Wholesale sports or Cabela's.

Not against camo but it is not the end all be all! Same goes for cover sents etc.

boxhitch
01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
The camo I own is because I liked the product or gear and it came in camo. .....
........Not against camo but it is not the end all be all! Same goes for cover sents etc.Works for me too. The materials used are often the same as in trekking or climbing clothes but the colors suck.
Try to find micro fleece with goretex in green or brown, good luck.
Black seems to be the techy color de jour.