PDA

View Full Version : Snow off around revelstoke/ mica dam

snareman1234
01-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I am planning a spring bear trip up to revelstoke/ mica dam area
I plan on going around may 20 - june 5

The area I want to hunt is a big valley with avalanche shoots etc. The valley bottom is about 1500ft and the mountain tops are around 5000. I know the tops will all have snow, but around what sort of level would someone be expecting this time of year.

Lol I know its sort of a dumb question because it is anyones guess as to when snow comes off, but I am just looking for an average trend, and some info from anyone that knows the area

Thanks

ve7iuq
01-01-2010, 08:00 PM
That should be a good time. Black bears will be low in the valleys, eating skunk cabbage, if they can find it.
There are so many logged over areas now, that the sunny slope of logged land is better now than avalanche chutes.

blindguy
01-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Whats wrong with giant port renfrew bears?lol

snareman1234
01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm applying for a grizz draw, thats really what I'll be after up there, but if I dont get it, it'll be blackies

Mugger
01-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Been on a few giz hunts in that area, Your dates will work out fine, by the 10th you are ok in most parts. Are you hunting by vehicle or by boat?

Mugger
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Hope you got my reply, first time i have had a private message to respond to

snareman1234
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
yeap got'r

dave_fras
01-04-2010, 07:37 AM
ive hunting up there for three out of the last 4 years!.... last year was flippen terrible!!! we hunt from the 21 till the 30th ... but we normally go out and see up to ten bears a day!... i think the worst was 4 in one day... but last year we ran into a total if 5 bears!!... nothin over five feet! we hunted from that whole strech of road too!... the powerline are all overgrown now tho!... the best place i found since ive been there was the very back of bigmouth road.... i think thats the name of it?!... we would follow that down and take a left across a bridge... its a long quad ride to the back... but we just camped out right at the bridge! i was talking to some of the local guys there.. and they said it was because of all the helis flying around for all the tree planters... and believe me!... the sky was busy!!!... illl be heading to nakusp or golden this year!