PDA

View Full Version : Shot placement & Tips for Cougar

bionicflite
01-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm heading out to Region 4-6 with an Outfitter for a bow / Cougar Hunt .
Has any one got some last minute tips.

Using a HF X-force @ 65lbs and grim reaper B/H with Gold Tip.
The shot will be subjected to branches etc. and thought some of the experienced bow hunters might have some advise.

mikeinajeep
01-01-2010, 08:11 PM
The best way to hunt cougar is dress young and show alittle money, Once you see one you like, get her a drink and don't talk about family or "The real world" this served me well for years in whistler. Shot placement is really dependent on how drunk she is and what you like, Butt keep in mind whistler is like Vages, what happens in whistler stays.........

snareman1234
01-01-2010, 08:17 PM
shoot it in behind the front shoulder lol

Ron.C
01-01-2010, 08:41 PM
The shot will be subjected to branches etc. and thought some of the experienced bow hunters might have some advise.

Here is some advice, don't shoot unless you have a clean shot. Arrows don't react well and do some strange things when they clip a branch on the way to the target, regardless of how close the target is.

An find somewhere/somehow to do some safe practice shooting up. Not a common shot for bowhunters and one you probably encounter cat hunting

As far a shot placement, I've never hunted cats. But I would have to say behind the shoulder is a safe bet.

Good luck, hope you bag one

MEATEATER
01-01-2010, 08:44 PM
take a gun..... a big gun lol

K-1
01-01-2010, 08:58 PM
You will probably shooting UP into it. So aiming between the leg and the shoulder into the brisket & arm pit you will be driving the arrow up into the vitals. If you can get on a incline beside or slightly above it you may get a side shot.

bionicflite
01-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys
I am taking a few days to get there and have a BLOCK target I am some how going to raise and get some practise shooting up.Probably just throw a rope over a branch 20-30 feet up.

Thanks again.

bionicflite
01-02-2010, 03:42 PM
To Looserinajeep
If you you had your act together like some of us you would not have to part with a dime in your Cougar hunts in Whistler....but that comes with experience.

Then again I doubt you have been to South East Asia.

Such comments are so yesterday...you need to get out more often dude.

interceptor
01-02-2010, 04:40 PM
G' Day Bionicflite,

I went on an archery Cougar hunt just before Christmas, I managed to get a nice Tom.

I think your gear will be fine, you will do well to setup a target and practice some uphill shots, but it really depends on the Cat, my Tom was about 4 or 5 mtrs up a tree but with the tree on a steep hill side we were almost level, he may have been 2 or 3 mtrs up, I shot from under 10 yards so I just held dead on and that is where my arrow went.

The other thing about Cougar hunting is that you have all the time in the world to settle your nerves before you take your shot, so use it to take pics and video and you will be ready when the time comes to take the shot.

As for shot placement, before I left for my hunt I did a search on the internet and I found some links that showed photos of the vitals (I think the pics were from "The Perfect Shot"). I just tried to find them again but had no luck, I will try again after dinner.

Best of luck on your hunt I am sure it will be a blast.

Cheers Noel

Jetboater
01-13-2010, 04:25 PM
who was the guide?

digger dogger
01-13-2010, 04:37 PM
in the dog box??? were you farting alot? 4g's for no cat? are they gonna give you a deal if you book again next year? (holy ?'s)i think a few outfitters will do that.. most of the guys that guide cats rely on the dog or dogs to figure shit out. they are mostly dog chasers, in good shape but don't know much about how things work. the outfitter has to much to do( and the older guys know better) so they hire young guys to deal with the cat shit.

Kody94
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
$4G seems a little high for 7 days of driving around in a truck alright.

4-6 is the territory operated by Blackmore. I heard the LKB owns it and Lansing is now managing it. Who knows who might have subbed a hunt from them though...maybe Faiers?

Anyhoo, would be interesting to know who you bought the hunt from.

brad ferris
01-13-2010, 07:07 PM
the outfitter i work for sells a cat hunt for 6500 $ . sometimes but not often a guy goes home without having an oppertunity to harvest a tom.usually snow conditions are the biggest factor.if you feel you didn't get what you purchased first bring it up with the person who sold you the hunt.if he's not willing to make it right then feel free to let anyone who'll listen know what went on in your hunt.and don't hesitate to drop some names.i'm a little currious myself who you hunted with.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-13-2010, 10:38 PM
$4000 is cheap for a cat hunt, but like they say you get what you pay for. Are you sure this guy held a valid licence? Soory for your wasted time, I would file a report on hunt reports and voice you displeasure. From what I understand alot of hunters use this service.What where the accomadations and food like was the hunt at all enjoyable or was it the trip from hell?

okanaganraised
01-24-2010, 11:07 PM
thanks to all the people posting about anything thing to do with cougar hunting..its great to hear the tips and stories.JUST like to ask about what experienced bowhunters think about using a tree stand to hunt cougars?I know someplaces where there are concentrations of deer bones and thinking about placing one there for next year.Kudos to the guy thats staring eye to eye with a cougar and holding a bow in one hand too,read that post,thats incredible!