PDA

View Full Version : Instinctive shooting

madrona sh
12-31-2009, 12:08 PM
I got a video on instinctive shooting for X mas It seems really cool.Does anyone out there shoot this way?:-D

wrenchhead
12-31-2009, 12:43 PM
i instinctivly look though my scope!

madrona sh
12-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Scope on a bow?

Tanya
12-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Yup, I do. I use an older PSE recurve and I shoot fingers and instinctive. I actually prefer it for hunting around here over sights and release. Once you are comfortable and "one with your bow" it is nice because you simply look at the spot you want to hit( aim with the mind), anchor, release, follow through. Done. Taken lots of critters that way.

CanadanHirvi
12-31-2009, 04:55 PM
What video did you get? Byron Ferguson? I'm pretty interested in instinctive shooting. Although I have some good books, haven't come across a good video.

The Hermit
12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Yup both eyes open!! Most of the traditional shooters shoot instinctive. Or at least they THINK they do!

I was taught that in many cases people are actually sighting with the string, point, and target which for many is more accurate, if you know the range and have lots of practice.

tomahawk
12-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Yup, I do. I use an older PSE recurve and I shoot fingers and instinctive. I actually prefer it for hunting around here over sights and release. Once you are comfortable and "one with your bow" it is nice because you simply look at the spot you want to hit( aim with the mind), anchor, release, follow through. Done. Taken lots of critters that way.

Once you have practised and feel comfortable, its like throwing a baseball ball when playing catch, it becomes instinctive.

madrona sh
12-31-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm defiantly going to get into it.I'll post the name of the video after dinner.

houndogger
12-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Yup both eyes open!! Most of the traditional shooters shoot instinctive. Or at least they THINK they do!

I was taught that in many cases people are actually sighting with the string, point, and target which for many is more accurate, if you know the range and have lots of practice.
Yup that is a big 10 4.LOL no need to open up a big archer war. Yup instinctive.:wink:

madrona sh
12-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Let the arrows fly.

madrona sh
12-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Video is called Instinctive Shooting By G. Fred Asbell

CanadanHirvi
01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks madrona

Bow Walker
01-01-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm just beginning to practice with my Longbow. I've found that shooting with both eyes open and anchoring high (compared to compound) at the corner of my mouth allows me to be more accurate than any other way.

Plus I seem to eliminate the tendency to shoot too far to the left when I shoot with both eyes open. I guess that I'm "instinctively" using the tip of the arrow to point at the middle of the target.

I've also found (what most will say is a 'no-brainer') that shooting Traditional is waaay different than shooting compound. Obvious, when you give it a bit of thought. It's a whole different set of skills to develop so that it's "instinctive". But what a lot of fun!!

Coyote
01-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Good video Madrona but make sure that your form stays up to snuff. The aiming procedure is instinctive but proper shooting procedure still applies.

You will enjoy it I guarantee it.

'yote

MOOSE MILK
01-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Check out Howard Hill, probably the best instinctive shot ever! Met him at a shoot in Florida '56 or '57 I was a young snot nose kid and shootin' instinctive, there were only a handfull at that shoot that were. Well he gave me a few pointers and I won the juniors. Then he put on a demonstration by shooting flying objects, he could knock an arrow and shoot as fast as the targets could be throwen.
He shot 6 hours every day, could pull a bow over 170 lb. reguallary shot a 90 lb.
I couldn't pull over 75 lb.
When I got back home to Ont. I set up 2 buts 50 yd apart (all the room I had) I tried to shoot 2 hours every day, between school and choirs it is hard to find 2 hours. I would shoot at one butt from a different distance each shot then walk back towards the second butt again shooting from unknowen distances each shot. Shots were quick, no thinking too long and admiring your stance, just up and shoot. The target was a cigarrett pack pinned to the butt, got to be able to hit it every time from any position. Like someone said its like throwing a ball, it gets that you can feel that arrow all the way to the target.

The Hermit
01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
The target was a cigarrett pack pinned to the butt, got to be able to hit it every time from any position. Like someone said its like throwing a ball, it gets that you can feel that arrow all the way to the target.

Wow that is some fine shooting!

Bow Walker
01-07-2010, 11:08 AM
.....The target was a cigarrett pack pinned to the butt, got to be able to hit it every time from any position....
That's an inspiration/proficiency level for all of us to aspire to! :wink: :mrgreen: