PDA

View Full Version : Late season Elk hunt

MuleyMadness
12-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Heading up to Tom's Lake area for my late season elk hunt with a few friends who also have draws. We have arrangements for some private land and a place to stay, but I just wanted to hear what everyone had to say about this hunt, anyone around that area been seeing the elk, any tips or suggestions (besides dress warm) would be appreciated.

thetackdriver
12-31-2009, 01:14 AM
Ive had a late season elk draw the last two years in a row. Toms lake is where i ended up getting both of mine. Seemed to be a fair bit of elk in that area. Wait for the temp to drop and the snow to fly .

hunter1947
12-31-2009, 04:55 AM
All I have to say is cover as much ground as you can drive all day till you find them ,good luck.

leadpillproductions
12-31-2009, 05:02 AM
its starting to get cold so they should start to move to the fields shouldn't be to hard to get one have fun

MuleyMadness
12-31-2009, 12:59 PM
I saw that the weather was starting to turn fugly up there...the lady who own's the ranch said nothing in their direct fields as yet but they do have 2 - 2.5ft of the white fluffy stuff so that should help. Thanks for the info and keep any tips coming!

elkdom
12-31-2009, 01:23 PM
it was minus-30 celcius last nite in good ol Tomslake with a high today so far is minus- 27 Celsius, with a windchill of minus-40 Celcius, a full MOON and the elk are traveling/feeding ,mostly at NIGHT!, and MEGA gas drilling and pipe lining 24/7 as we speak, so good luck,,,

MuleyMadness
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Well the cold weather would seem to get them feeding and moving I would hope. Hopefully snowfall will help out too. Plus the moon will be in last quarter Jan 7 (the day we arrive) and new Jan 15 so that should be perfect as far as moon phases go. I too saw the windchill warning, hopefully our preparations on that end of things is enough, or enough to allow us to spend enough time out there. Not expecting a turkey shoot (I do prefer hunting, otherwise I would just stop at a bison ranch on the way up and buy an animal but I'm still hopeful. We shall see, but at least the private land we have access to doesn't have any O&G leases or pipelines across it so that should help relax them...want them nice and tender ;)